• Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bernette is wearing a fascinator...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this. I used to live around the Prestwich/Crumpsall area and wish I'd found out more about the Jewish community while I was there, though I don't think you can just go into a synagogue at will (am willing to be corrected!) :)

I find the traditions fascinating and beautiful, and I love how everything is just charged with meaning.

I have to say that some of the comments about it all being pointless and silly traditions are a bit dismissive and narrow-minded. I think you can always learn from an insight into a different way of life, whether you agree with it or not.
    Edit: Case in point - Jack finally getting a chance to have his bar mitzvah after being unable to because he was in Buchenwald. I don't think you can call something that clearly means so much to someone pointless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aww Jack, lovely pink suitcase...
  • Options
    Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Very strange for Jewish people to have a programme like this, they are usually a very guarded and insular community..which I actually respect a lot and out of all Abrahamic religions probably the one that doesn't actively seek new recruits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoying this. I used to live around the Prestwich/Crumpsall area and wish I'd found out more about the Jewish community while I was there, though I don't think you can just go into a synagogue at will (am willing to be corrected!) :)

I find the traditions fascinating and beautiful, and I love how everything is just charged with meaning.

I have to say that some of the comments about it all being pointless and silly traditions are a bit dismissive and narrow-minded. I think you can always learn from an insight into a different way of life, whether you agree with it or not.

I've found it very instructive... Could be used in schools to show how the Jewish religion works...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Charles II wrote: »
    ..Very strange for Jewish people to have a programme like this, they are usually a very guarded and insular community..which I actually respect a lot and out of all Abrahamic religions probably the one that doesn't actively seek new recruits.

I think it's good that the Manchester community is willing to let people in to understand the religion, and show all aspects of it.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Randysback wrote: »
    This has been marketed as a new series... Is it?? I`m sure it`s been on before.

Just confirms what I always thought anyway. Jews are bonkers, completely pointless traditions left right and centre.

They seem to prefer Isreal to here though, wouldn`t it be an idea for them to go live there instead of Prestwich?

They're not bonkers at all. Over the centuries they've found that they have to pull together because they've been persecuted. They've got wonderful close communities.
    Edit: Case in point - Jack finally getting a chance to have his bar mitzvah after being unable to because he was in Buchenwald. I don't think you can call something that clearly means so much to someone pointless.

I was in Israel 22 years ago, and saw the Bar mitzvahs at the Wailing Wall. They are many and varied - some strictly Orthodox, and others far more modern. There was one American man who hadn't had a chance to have his Bar Mitzvah - he was in his 60s - and his wife had arranged for him to have it at the Wailing Wall as a surprise. I felt privileged to be able to witness it (and I'm not Jewish).
    Charles II wrote: »
    out of all Abrahamic religions probably the one that doesn't actively seek new recruits.

I don't think they want new recruits! It's not easy to convert to Judaism. You can't just say "I believe" and that's that.

On the Kibbutz I spent time on there was a man who married a Jewish woman, and he was converting. It took ages and lots of studying.

There were quite a few holocaust survivors on the kibbutz. Mealtimes were always in the communal dining hall, and the survivors would take in tupperware type containers and fill them with food to take back to their houses, then eat in the dining hall. The food they took back would fester, but the memory of the starvation they'd suffered in the camps never left them. Interestingly the least understanding of their need to do that was the young Israeli Jews.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It was only near the end that I realised that I'd seen this one before, a few years ago. I thought it was advertised as a new series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was only near the end that I realised that I'd seen this one before, a few years ago. I thought it was advertised as a new series?

It is new. You must have seen something similar...:confused:
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you thinking of the series that was on last year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    It is new. You must have seen something similar...:confused:
    The bit in particular where Jack picked up a luggage label from the floor, I have definitely - definitely - seen before (and not in a clip or trailer).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the series that was on last year?
    Possibly, but parts of tonight's show must have been shown in that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bit in particular where Jack picked up a luggage label from the floor, I have definitely - definitely - seen before (and not in a clip or trailer).

AFAIK, Jack wasn't in the last series :confused: Is the picking up of a luggage label, a typical Auschwitz scene ??
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a security thing, if they don't know you, you'll get the third degree and may not be let in. Best thing is to contact the synagogue during the week before you go, then you'll get a proper welcome.
  • Options
    AlfiesmumAlfiesmum Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    My heart broke for Jack when he was talking about his little brother who didn't deserve to die, then when he met the school kids and the girl was almost in tears at meeting a survivor

So glad he got his Bar Mitzva in front of his family
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    It's a security thing, if they don't know you, you'll get the third degree and may not be let in. Best thing is to contact the synagogue during the week before you go, then you'll get a proper welcome.

Ah, cheers for that, that's interesting. Don't live round there any more but would like to visit a synagogue one day :)
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »

They also have open days for things like European Day of Jewish Culture or Doors Open Day.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfiesmum wrote: »
    My heart broke for Jack when he was talking about his little brother who didn't deserve to die, then when he met the school kids and the girl was almost in tears at meeting a survivor

So glad he got his Bar Mitzva in front of his family

I know, Jack was the star of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    AFAIK, Jack wasn't in the last series :confused: Is the picking up of a luggage label, a typical Auschwitz scene ??
    I have no idea. All I know is that I've seen it (that scene at least) before.
  • Options
    Panda EyesPanda Eyes Posts: 4,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww at Jack having his Bar Mitzvah aged 85 :)
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member

Me too. I definitely remember seeing him pick that up before and as you say not in a trailer or clip. Maybe from this:

The Orphans Who Survived The Concentration Camps

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8597635.stm
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Panda Eyes wrote: »
    Awww at Jack having his Bar Mitzvah aged 85 :)
    Lovely scene......emotional.;)

After last years 'one off' doc, you wanted more, now after two more, you want even more.

A little gem of an all to short series.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,510
    Forum Member
    I really love this programme- interesting and entertaining without being tawdry!

I grew up as a Catholic in an area with an incredibly high Jewish population so this show is a great way for me to find out what was actually behind the traditions I saw but never understood!
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found this really interesting. For some reason I've always been quite interested in the Jewish Religion and culture and love stuff like this when it's on. Jack seemed like an amazing man and glad he got his Bar Mitzva in the end. At one point a few years ago I wanted to go on a Kibbutz but it didn't happen, this has sort of made me want to do it again. Would also love to visit Israel and see the old city and stuff. Tel Aviv sounds pretty cool as well.