Options

Google Maps - offline for Android

alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It is worth noting that the new Google maps allows you to select and save up to 6 areas for off-line use.
http://www.google.co.uk/mobile/maps/This is in addition to GPS navigation off-line caching of directions.

With maps IOS playing catch up is understandably deemed more newsworthy.

Comments

• Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's really useful, downloading my area now.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep, its been available as a Lab/beta option for a while but the full thing is out.

Likewise Google Earth city flyover on mobile has rolled out (for a limited number of cities).

Reports that the offline bit doesn't work in all countries yet... but all good!
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    when you say 6 areas... how big are they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

city size I think. somewhere there's examples of the London or Paris metropolitan area....
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bit bigger than the M25, so it's probably set to allow a maximum of a 20 mile radius.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/google-maps-for-android-offline-mode-out-now-50008425/

In the labs version, cached areas were automatically deleted after 30 days. Time will tell if that remains so in the release version.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know what happens if there's any changes made to maps such as new roads, would the cached areas be automatically updated?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    I'd like to know what happens if there's any changes made to maps such as new roads, would the cached areas be automatically updated?

In the beta version I don't think. Of course it used to expire after 30 days so you would need to periodically refresh the maps anyway.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Just a bit bigger than the M25, so it's probably set to allow a maximum of a 20 mile radius.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/google-maps-for-android-offline-mode-out-now-50008425/

In the labs version, cached areas were automatically deleted after 30 days. Time will tell if that remains so in the release version.

The areas I cached where more like 5 mile radius at best. I drive 14 miles to work and I needed 3 cached areas to cover that.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a neat feature but why artificially limit you to 6 areas? why not allow you to download as many as you want?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    It's a neat feature but why artificially limit you to 6 areas? why not allow you to download as many as you want?
    Obviously to allow the TomTom's of this world to compete.
    Is it not like asking why Microsoft Office is not free.

The 'tunnel cache' of a full driving route is a sop to full priced apps too. However these all use data.
    From experience it is extremely easy to fill up a 32GB SD card with different map data so that missing SD slot is a big downer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

No that's completely different... MS would lose millions of pounds if office were free.

I don't see how google would be affected at all as it would just mean it works where you dont have an internet signal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So would Apple.

Google loses too, only less in that they do not force the 30% tax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So would Apple.

Google loses too, only less in that they do not force the 30% tax.

So you think the reason Google doesn't do this is for there cut on selling TomTom via their store?

In that case why provide any features in the OS at all, make people have to pay for everything extra via the store.

As Apple have said when you take in the cost of the server farms, bandwidth, employees (credit card companies who take 16% leaving Apple with 14%) and so forth they actually make very little money from the app store. I'm sure google will be in a simular position.

Its more of a marketing tool to help sell hardware than it is a money making machine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Apple have said when you take in the cost of the server farms, bandwidth, employees (credit card companies who take 16% leaving Apple with 14%) and so forth they actually make very little money from the app store.
    Name me one credit card company who takes 16% on a $50 map app.

For penny apps, obviously the future here is $10 credits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Name me one credit card company who takes 16% on a $50 map app.

For penny apps, obviously the future here is $10 credits.

The cheapest paid for app in the app store is 69p

I was meaning in average evidently - http://www.iphonealley.com/news/how-much-does-apple-actually-make-from-the-app-store
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case why provide any features in the OS at all, make people have to pay for everything extra via the store.
    Don't you already think they both want to?

Apple was doing much of this quite nicely until Google came along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

6 areas the size of greater London would be plenty for most needs. More than that presumably runs the risk of filling up someone's phone storage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    6 areas the size of greater London would be plenty for most needs. More than that presumably runs the risk of filling up someone's phone storage

Surely if someone has the space to spare there is no harm in downloading the entire UK just in case you happen to need it like you have with a stand alone Sat Nav.

Also I often use maps when traveling to another part of the country which in this case would be way more than 6.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I downloaded 2 last night totalling ~150MB - that covered Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee and a fair bit more besides.

I think it's a stepping stone personally.

When the feature was first introduced via Labs, it was 10km by 10km I believe, this is a big step up from that and I would expect, in the long run, that Google will put together downloadable country-based Map bundles.
    But, given the way Google Maps has worked up until now, I suspect such bundles are not yet available.

That and it may be a way of mitigating the server load.
    The announcement that this feature is available will have seen a lot of people (myself included) rushing off to try it out - if we were all downloading an entire country or two at a time, that would add up to a huge amount of strain on even Google's infrastructure.
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Does this include navigation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    Does this include navigation?

nav can work offline already. I think there was talk about downloading the map for a pre-planned journey and caching that as well. Diversions still need a data connection though I think.
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    nav can work offline already. I think there was talk about downloading the map for a pre-planned journey and caching that as well. Diversions still need a data connection though I think.

news to me, I must have wasted so much of my pricey data :o
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The 'tunnel cache' of a full driving route is a sop to full priced apps too. However these all use data.
    From experience it is extremely easy to fill up a 32GB SD card with different map data so that missing SD slot is a big downer.

On Nokia Drive, the maps for entire USA down to street level is still less than 2GB. Maybe if you mapped the entire world you would get close to filling a 32GB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    news to me, I must have wasted so much of my pricey data :o

I don't think it uses much anyway, other than checking traffic and updating ETA. But yeah, my phone battery was low so I stuck it in flight mode and it still voice nav'd me fine.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it uses much anyway, other than checking traffic and updating ETA. But yeah, my phone battery was low so I stuck it in flight mode and it still voice nav'd me fine.
    Wasn't it a bit awkward on your bike?