Options

Ravel Morrison - Now It's Time for his Career to Soar!

Comments

• Options
    GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What talent? Other than a few youth and reserve games when has he demonstrated this prodigious talent?

Do you need a picture drawing? :D
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Morrison was as special and gifted as the customary hype for anything that happens in the modern day insists, then he'd have broken through long before regardless of his off the field troubles.

An element of the 'OMG this is happening now so it's the automatically the best or worst thing ever!!!' comes into play when assessing Morrison's ability. If he really was as astonishingly talented then someone, somewhere would have taken a chance on him by now. And I don't mean signing them for a Championship club to spend life in the reserves either. You simply don't get 'the best talent for 30 years' languishing in the reserves when fast approaching the age of 20 with virtually no first team experience whatsoever, anywhere. That simply does not happen whether off the field problems exist, or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    If Morrison was as special and gifted as the customary hype for anything that happens in the modern day insists, then he'd have broken through long before regardless of his off the field troubles.

Clearly it hasn't dawned on you yet how gifted Morrison is. :D

Ferguson couldn't progress him into the first team because he wasn't behaving himself. He would have been repaying bad behaviour and setting a bad example to the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gravitas wrote: »
    Clearly it hasn't dawned on you yet how gifted Morrison is. :D

Ferguson couldn't progress him into the first team because he wasn't behaving himself. He would have been repaying bad behaviour and setting a bad example to the others.

It's dawned on me. I've seen him a number of times. My reservation with ALL youth talent is that it's one thing shining at that level and quite another to make the step up. Football is littered with those who try and fail and just because we're more accustomed to the hyperbole these days doesn't exclude Morrison from susceptibility from what is an inevitability for many young players.

But as I said, his off-field problems would not have prevented someone taking a chance on him. Even if you reason why Ferguson didn't play him, why when United wanted rid, weren't all the top clubs swooping in. Surely all of not only England's but Europe's top clubs would have been on high alert. He isn't the first 'ultra talented' footballer to have off the field issues. In fact, compared to some, his are quite mild. If his talent is as large as some insist upon.

Yet...nobody did.

Extraordinary that everyone, aside from a lower-league team, passed by the opportunity to sign supposedly one of the greatest talents in a generation. It simply does not happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already told you two Premiership clubs were interested but he choose West Ham.

You really haven't grasped how talented he is have you! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've already told you two Premiership clubs were interested but he choose West Ham.

Same as you haven't grasped there's no such thing as the 'Premiership'

He's as talented as his progression at the end of his career dictates. Fast approaching 20 with no first team exposure at the top level at all. Not off to a great start, is he?
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    Morrison's talent isn't in doubt, it's his application of it which is his problem.

His constant missing of training, his constant getting into trouble display a negative attitude. No doubting his talent, but with such an attitude he'll never make it. I'll rave all day about him talent wise, he's the best in his age group. However if Fergie can't sort him out, few will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Same as you haven't grasped there's no such thing as the 'Premiership'

He's as talented as his progression at the end of his career dictates. Fast approaching 20 with no first team exposure at the top level at all. Not off to a great start, is he?

That's WHAT the thread is about. It's a new season at a new club starting soon.
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he said anything of interest on twitter (that you could fill us in on)?

mostly just pictures of him and his mates dj'ing and looking "ard"...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierenj wrote: »

So nothing interesting on how his football is doin' - I'm getting in on time - i stay behind for extra fitness work - nobody told me to but I've taken it upon myself to do some strength training and to get on a protein drink. Type stuff.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Kierenj wrote: »

I think his tweet of 'Happy Farthers Day' prompted the one shortly after of 'If you child spells Father's as Farthers you've already failed as a parent' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    The fact that Sir Alex, gave up on him tells you a lot perhaps Allardyce, is the kind of experienced manager who will be able to knock a bit of sense into Morrison but I won't be holding my breath. Ok the boy has potential but he's come to us with far to much baggage and I'ed of preffered we had spent the money on some one else.

What a peculiar thing for a West Ham fan to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a peculiar thing for a West Ham fan to say.

Why is it peculiar? I mean you spend that amount of money on a kid whose got all the talent in the world, in the middle of a promotion push, and simply don't play him, injury or no injury.

The last thing I heard of Morrison was right at the start of the summer when someone had snapped him stepping out of Eccles Police Station. Nothing has been said as to why and it could be harmless, but that's all I've heard this summer. Unlike previous years when we've heard everything as he was at United.

West Ham could have spent the £2 or £3m on someone else who would have had an imediate effect on the championship push.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm semi-convinced an elaborate wind up is in play. Unless we are actually privileged enough to be in the company of the great talented one himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    I'm semi-convinced an elaborate wind up is in play. Unless we are actually privileged enough to be in the company of the great talented one himself.

:eek: You don't mean like HB AKA Nigel Rio Coker?! :p
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I think his tweet of 'Happy Farthers Day' prompted the one shortly after of 'If you child spells Father's as Farthers you've already failed as a parent' :D

That's my daughter destined for the scrap heap then.

She's a clever bunny but her spelling is atrocious(have I spelt that right?).:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [/B]

That's my daughter destined for the scrap heap then.

She's a clever bunny but her spelling is atrocious(have I spelt that right?).:D:D

You're only a step away from being Kerry Katona as a parent!!

We all spell some stuff wrong but mother, father, cat and dog I'm pretty sure everyone did at school. :D
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,396
    Forum Member
    He'll be a good signing for a prison team
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    You're only a step away from being Kerry Katona as a parent!!

We all spell some stuff wrong but mother, father, cat and dog I'm pretty sure everyone did at school. :D

I've had less blokes in my lifetime than Katona's probably had in the last month. Quality not quantity.;):cool:

I'd also like to think i'm not that thick either.:o:D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,967
    Forum Member

What is amusing you so much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    Morrison's talent isn't in doubt, it's his application of it which is his problem.

His constant missing of training, his constant getting into trouble display a negative attitude. No doubting his talent, but with such an attitude he'll never make it. I'll rave all day about him talent wise, he's the best in his age group. However if Fergie can't sort him out, few will.

It's in doubt to me. How many league games has he played?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's in doubt to me. How many league games has he played?

He made 1 appearance as a sub for West Ham in the league.

Though I've watched him playing for the United youth teams from a fairly early age, and the talent is huge. He's easily the most talented kid from England in his age group. That's not my own opinion that's the opinion of Brian Marwood, who was at the time he uttered the words the head of talent for Nike if I recall, before moving to City.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He made 1 appearance as a sub for West Ham in the league.

Though I've watched him playing for the United youth teams from a fairly early age, and the talent is huge. He's easily the most talented kid from England in his age group. That's not my own opinion that's the opinion of Brian Marwood, who was at the time he uttered the words the head of talent for Nike if I recall, before moving to City.

Talented kids don't always become talented adults. People talk about him like he's the next Gazza when he's played less than 90 minutes of professional football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talented kids don't always become talented adults. People talk about him like he's the next Gazza when he's played less than 90 minutes of professional football.

A different era, but suprisingly a very good person to compare him to. He's got the god given talent Gazza had, and he's also got the self destruct mechanism he has. However for Ravel it's led him to trouble with the law, and has restricted his development in terms of games played. Gazza's problems started when fame hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A different era, but suprisingly a very good person to compare him to. He's got the god given talent Gazza had, and he's also got the self destruct mechanism he has. However for Ravel it's led him to trouble with the law, and has restricted his development in terms of games played. Gazza's problems started when fame hit.

I'll believe it when he's played more than half a game in the Championship. Strange how a West Ham team desperate for promotion decided not to play the new Gazza isn't it?