Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 37)

Comments

• Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have worked out how ITV could beat the BBC at the world cup final this time round. They just need to play bit's of Brian Moore over the game.

This was the last england game I think brian called.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFcTVlLj8Q4

God I miss him. I used to chose ITV over the BBC just for Brian Moore. Real emotion.

In seriousness they should get Keegan back in the commentary box.

Ken
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,446
    Forum Member
    The ideal scenario would be for Federer/Murray to start in the open air, win a game each or something, taking it to about 2:15, and then the rain comes! The roof closure process begins, and play resumes at about 3:00, giving the F1 chance to finish. Bingo.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    I guess you could say 2.5m was below expectations. I'd not have gone as high as 3.5m anyway. Possibly not as low as 2.5m. Even if it had managed 3m, I doubt it would have held onto it. In short, it's a flop and it has looked like it would turn out that way for quite a while.

I saw an advert somewhere a couple of hours ago and it still hasn't served to answer any of my confusion as to what the show is all about.
    In terms of lead-in and competition it had a lot going for it. It also has big names in different fields that I thought if would have seen it to at least 4m.

I do agree with you that I have no idea what the show is actually about and haven't seen it advertised.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Interesting that C5 beat C4 handily last night (whether inc or exc +1) despite Marco's flop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon the global audience for the British GP will be dented less by the overlap than the Mens Final will be. The F1 has the advantage of starting first.

So it's the All England old farts who will have questions to answer from sponsors, not Bernie. Yes, of course the UK audience will be hit badly, but that won't bother the FIA and the sport's backers from a global perspective.

It is the F1 that moves its races all over the calendar. Wimbledon is always the same two weeks. So it is Bernie & Co. that got it wrong.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those wondering, in the 19:00 hour yesterday, Channel 5 had 513k (2.8%) for World's Toughest Prison.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    British Grand Prix: Jenson Button says Silverstone race could be cancelled as rain causes more chaos
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9382151/British-Grand-Prix-Jenson-Button-says-Silverstone-race-could-be-cancelled-as-rain-causes-more-chaos.html

So on Sunday we should have -
    BBC1
    12:05 LIVE FORMULA 1: BRITISH GRAND PRIX: PREVIEW
    12:55 Wimbledon 2012: MEN'S SINGLES FINAL

BBC2
    11:30 MotoGP: GERMAN GRAND PRIX
    12:55 LIVE FORMULA 1: BRITISH GRAND PRIX

Last year the Wimbledon final rated 5.49m (45.3%) on BBC One (+140,000 on BBC HD) between 1pm and 5.30pm.
    British Grand Prix rated 4.89m (43.1%)

Could we see 3.5m average for the Grand Prix and an 8.0m average this year for Wimbledon?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9382151/British-Grand-Prix-Jenson-Button-says-Silverstone-race-could-be-cancelled-as-rain-causes-more-chaos.html

So on Sunday we should have -

Last year the Wimbledon final rated 5.49m (45.3%) on BBC One (+140,000 on BBC HD) between 1pm and 5.30pm.

Could we see 3.5m average for the Grand Prix and an 8.0m average this year for Wimbledon?

If Wimbledon averaged 5.5m without Murray, I would suggest doubling that if he looks like winning it. If it is a straight sets Fed victory then 8m is likely.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,156
    Forum Member
    I reckon the global audience for the British GP will be dented less by the overlap than the Mens Final will be. The F1 has the advantage of starting first.

So it's the All England old farts who will have questions to answer from sponsors, not Bernie. Yes, of course the UK audience will be hit badly, but that won't bother the FIA and the sport's backers from a global perspective.

Wimbledon is fixed in the diary last week of June first week of July....the date of the British Grand Prix seems to move.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,156
    Forum Member
    Why should the FIA have rejigged the F1 calendar because the Wimbledon finals fall later this year?

Why not the All England old farts? F1 is far bigger than the annual tennis knockabout!

Err last year the British Grand Prix was 10 July a week after Wimbledon finnished.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »

That was the 3D simulcast - pretty impressive actually, didn't think there were so many sets out there, especially a year ago.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Don't know if these will be of any interest but here's how the 2008 Wimbledon final rated. (Got these from Part 2 of the ratings thread :eek:)

Originally Posted by rzt
    Sunday 6th July Overnights
    BBC1
    13.30- Wimbledon 2008 Men’s Final: 7.4m (38.8%)
    * Match average: 8.6m (43.1%)
    * 5-minute peak: 13.3m (47.1%) at 21.15
    * 15-minute peak: 12.7m (45.0%) at 21.00-21.15
    * Session 1: 14.35-16.50: 7.0m (46.3%)
    * Session 2: 18.10-19.55: 9.5m (43.1%)
    * Session 3: 20.20-21.20: 10.9m (39.1%)
    * 118% above channel slot average.

21.30- Vicar of Dibley: 4.7m (18.9%)
    22.00- BBC News: 6.0m (28.8%)

BBC2
    18.25- Songs of Praise: 1.2m (5.5%)
    19.00- Last of the Summer Wine: 1.7m (7.4%)
    19.30- BBC News: 2.1m (8.4%)
    20.00- Top Gear: 5.4m (19.9%)
    21.00- 9/11: The Conspiracy Files: 2.4m (9.1%)

ITV1
    12.00- F1: British Grand Prix: 4.4m (38%) *peak: 6.0m (14.30)
    15.20- On Her Majesty's Secret Service: 1.5m (9.4%)
    18.40- ITV News and Weather: 2.8m (13.4%)
    19.00- The Royal: 4.0m (16.8%)
    20.00- Midsomer Murders: 6.3m (23.7%)
    22.00- ITV News: 3.0m (14.3%)
    22.15- All New TV’s Naughtiest Blunders: 2.5m (15.9%)

Channel 4 (exc. +1)
    21.00- Big Brother: 2.8m (10.5%)
    22.00- Sunday Night Project: 1.7m (9.9%)

Five
    20.00- Extraordinary People: 499,000 (1.8%)
    21.00- Tears of the Sun: 996,0000 (4.7%)

The moment when Radael Nadal won, was one of the most watched television moments of the year.

Will this give any indication as to how this years final will rate? I think it could certainly top the 7.4 million average, maybe 10? Hard to say.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,694
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Interesting that C5 beat C4 handily last night (whether inc or exc +1) despite Marco's flop.
    My first port of call this morning was C4 Sales which revealed the all-day share for yesterday was 4.5%, up 0.5 share points on the previous Thursday. So all seemed good at that point.

It seems the damage caused by Marco was cancelled out by improvements elsewhere.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graham Norton and Alan Carr just clip shows tonight seems so much crap on.
    T in the park is on my TV here.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should the FIA have rejigged the F1 calendar because the Wimbledon finals fall later this year?

Why not the All England old farts? F1 is far bigger than the annual tennis knockabout!
    How ignorant - Wimbledon always begins between the 20th and 26th June, so isn't later this year.

To be fair to F1 it's not unusual for the British Grand Prix to be around this weekend too - but when they have a number of dates on which they could schedule it scheduling it one the day of one of the biggest sporting events not just in Britain, but around the world, is rather short sighted.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    For those wondering, in the 19:00 hour yesterday, Channel 5 had 513k (2.8%) for World's Toughest Prison.

Well done Jeff Ford, who has correctly identified that Jay Hunt has screwed up C4 news, and that its audience is now there for the taking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Err, how come it has rated around this level before then?

Err, not lately.

If you seriously believe last night's out of the ordinary episode, featuring a naturist hotel, had no bearing on the out of the ordinary ratings, let's resume this discussion next Friday morning.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently the 7pm hour on Channel 5 is just repeats, it'd be good for them to develop either hour long or two half hour programmes for that slot as it would definetly boost the rest of the schedule.

Next week's HI is against the rescheduled The Men who Made us Fat, Case Sensitive, Bank of Dave and When I Get Older so I think it'll be slightly down, what did CS get last year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Err, not lately.

If you seriously believe last night's out of the ordinary episode, featuring a naturist hotel, had no bearing on the out of the ordinary ratings, let's resume this discussion next Friday morning.
    I didn't say it had no bearing, did I? It's been widely received as one of the best / funniest ever episodes of the programme so of course that has a bearing.

But I dunno how it can be called a "freak" rating when it's rated at that level a few times before. The naturist angle wasn't pushed at all in promotional trailers for the show, so you had to seek out that info on the programme guide or listings. It makes sense to lead with an episode like that to get people talking more than anything else and get the series off to the best possible start to increase the likelihood that viewers return the following week.

It's perfectly possible there were other reasons for the rise. Thursday nights in Q3 is an altogether different proposition to Monday nights in Q4. And Alex may have won over some new viewers after her recent very successful BBC Two series.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by rzt
    Sunday 6th July 2008 Overnights
    BBC1
    13.30- Wimbledon 2008 Men’s Final: 7.4m (38.8%)

ITV1
    12.00- F1: British Grand Prix: 4.4m (38%)

Since 1998, I believe the Wimbledon Men's final has only clashed on one other occasion with the British Grand Prix, that was July 7th 2002, BBC1 had Wimbledon and ITV1 had the F1. Neither show made their respective channel top 30's.

From 2002 rough figures from Media Guardian
    The scheduling clash between the Wimbledon Men's Final and the British Grand Prix yesterday left the tennis championship with one of its worst figures on record. Just 3.5m tuned in to see Lleyton Hewitt take the lawn tennis crown as audiences around the country were split. Another 3m sporting fans tuned in to Michael Schumacher's victory at Silverstone. Overall, the BBC's five-hour Wimbledon marathon averaged 4.1 million viewers and a 32% share of the viewing. The British grand prix proved less popular, averaging 3.2 million and a 30% share.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2002/jul/09/overnights
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Alex may have won over some new viewers after her recent very successful BBC Two series.

I wonder if Alex will continue HI along with The Fixer, I'm sure she could do both, that's assuming the Fixer is renewed for another series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I wonder if Alex will continue HI along with The Fixer, I'm sure she could do both, that's assuming the Fixer is renewed for another series.
    It seems she can fit both in for the moment, which is good news for viewers of both shows.

She's appearing on The Wright Stuff on Thursday morning so maybe she'll reveal more about that then.

What I want to know is, what happened to those episodes they filmed abroad last year? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Hotel Inspector, it's my favourite show on Five - and I think Alex is fantastic.

But I reckon the "naturist" aspect added a good 300 - 400k on to last night's audience.

It may have been boosted a bit more due to the absolutely dire offering on ITV1.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Well done Jeff Ford, who has correctly identified that Jay Hunt has screwed up C4 news, and that its audience is now there for the taking.

Was Jay Hunt behind the changes to Channel 4 News? It's still an excellent news programme.Jon Snow can't read an autocue though.
This discussion has been closed.