Options

Three home signal

Comments

• Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup I'm on Virgin and I just use my mobile for all calls as I get loads of inclusive minutes and texts.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I know. The point I am making is that they should and the solution has been around for decades!

What is surprising is that folks buy into a service that has no decent home coverage in the first place!

Not really. The amount of people i know who complain about signal at home without doing anything about it are in the majority. Like i said there are a lot of reasons as to why people choose a network with little coverage at home and why some homes in the uk have no coverage. As you know, no network covers everywhere in the uk.

Also, i am on Three, T-Mobile and O2. I get better o2 signal in my house than T-Mobile signal. But overall i find t-mobile to be a better service in my area/town.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Not really. The amount of people i know who complain about signal at home without doing anything about it are in the majority. Like i said there are a lot of reasons as to why people choose a network with little coverage at home and why some homes in the uk have no coverage. As you know, no network covers everywhere in the uk.

Also, i am on Three, T-Mobile and O2. I get better o2 signal in my house than T-Mobile signal. But overall i find t-mobile to be a better service in my area/town.

True but GSM covers just about all of the UK population and its robust.

I get all the networks where I live, some better than others but I can make and receive calls for the most part on them from home.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I get all the networks where I live, some better than others but I can make and receive calls for the most part on them from home.
    Yeh i don;'t have a problem with any network either. But once again if you read my post. Some old houses with thick walls cause signal loss, plus some people live in areas where there is no signal at all due to certain reasons.

But just because you get signal with all networks does not mean that everyone else does. Different circumstances for different people. The home signal solves the problems of no signal with minimal hassle. Unlike call forwarding or sticking your phone out the window etc...

And like people have already mentioned. The drawbacks are that it uses your home broadband allowance which is why Three only sell it to people on high tier/unlimited plans. Call forwarding could be an okay option for those without home broadband/on limited packages (e.g Sky Basic 2GB)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Vodafone's SureSignal box at home (got my employer to pay for it) and I find it works very well - solid 3G in the house. I have to be Vodafone for my company phone and find their next work is very good in most place, it's just that my house is in a small blackspot.
  • Options
    huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - what I mean is I have a normal land line but don't use the phone facility. I have no phone plugged in and only have the line because its a prerequisite for getting adsl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or better still why dont they just provide 2G fallback in areas where they have reception issues!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or better still why dont they just provide 2G fallback in areas where they have reception issues!

Wavejock you need to be more realistic. Sure networks could just put up 10,000 masts tonight to cover 100% of the UK and get more spectrum and only charge 50p for unlimited everything (inc call forwarding) and throw in a free beer with the phone as well as give everyone £100000 in cash.

But that is never going to happen. Sure Three could do 2G backup, which they already do with Orange. But like i said there are deadspots and fringe areas all over the UK on all networks. Nothing will solve that overnight. And until all networks have 100% coverage (which won't happen due to hospitals/conservation areas etc...) Home signal boxes are the best option.

Read all posts before making your own man.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

3 will roam on to Orange's 2G network if there is no coverage on 3. However 3 have started to discontinue roaming in areas where they reckon they have good coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Wavejock you need to be more realistic. Sure networks could just put up 10,000 masts tonight to cover 100% of the UK and get more spectrum and only charge 50p for unlimited everything (inc call forwarding) and throw in a free beer with the phone as well as give everyone £100000 in cash.

But that is never going to happen. Sure Three could do 2G backup, which they already do with Orange. But like i said there are deadspots and fringe areas all over the UK on all networks. Nothing will solve that overnight. And until all networks have 100% coverage (which won't happen due to hospitals/conservation areas etc...) Home signal boxes are the best option.

Read all posts before making your own man.

Hospitals have cell sites on top of them! My local hospital has a mast on the roof!

There are some dead spots but they are not that common and 3 don't have 2G now in most cities, only 2100Mhz UMTS which is far less robust than 900Mhz GSM especially at penetrating buildings.

I'm not sure about the cost of pico cells but i suspect they are not cheap and their provision will be regulated closley. For coverage the GSM/UMTS option seems a much better option for most folks I think.
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you get broadband on a landline without a phone facility?

The pico cell only works with a broadband connection and you need a landline for that, either cable or ADSL. Very unusual not to have a phone facility with the latter.

You don't need a phoneline at all for cable broadband.

Most people can get SOME of the networks, but I would imagine an awful lot of people don't get ALL.
    Meaning that people don't really have much of a choice.

As I said earlier, I use data a lot. I need a plan with unlimited data and tethering, preferably on a 30 day contract. Only Three offer that. The only network I can get at home is Vodafone, whose data packages are pretty damn poor.

Many areas still struggle with signal even with 2G fallback
  • Options
    reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm fortunate to get some sort of signal on all the uk networks. 3 being the worst and often drops out. I get 5 bars of 3G on Vodafone, O2 and Orange and about 2 bars of tmobile 3G although with smart share it sticks on Orange. Although I do live in the suburbs of Norwich. 3 in general has the best coverage in Norwich though.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confirms the 2100MHz technology is not that great then

Aren't Everything Everywhere (with access to their magical 1800MHz) and O2 (using the coveted "3G900") introducing identical devices?

That must confirm that 900MHz is not that great.

The fact is that no network can cover 100% of the population. It's not economically, technically or politically possible.

For many people, a device like the "Vodafone Sure Signal" or "Three Home Signal" is the only way that they can get a reliable signal from ANY network.

No other solution offers:

-100% compatibility with all 3G devices
    -Ability to use calls/texts/data
    -Seamless transfer between the regular network and the home-based cell
    -Simplicity of pricing

Yes, you can use Wi-Fi, but it doesn't offer calls/texts (at least not in a seamless fashion). Call forwarding doesn't help with text messaging (which is a HUGE part of what people use their devices for). Alternatives cost extra. If you can get a device that costs you virtually nothing (probably free from the network), uses a tiny amount of your broadband allowance (37MB for an hour phone call is not a lot - even with a very low allowance) and enables you to get better value from your existing mobile contract (which people need for when they're not at home), then it's really a no-brainer.
    What landline deals come without inclusive calls nowadays? Even the basic BT package comes with free offpeak calls.

I'm not aware of a landline provider offering inclusive calls to mobiles (certainly not to ALL networks).

We also have the dodgy tactics that BT and others use with "unlimited". 200 calls max per month, 60 minute redial etc.

You already know that they do this.
    What is surprising is that folks buy into a service that has no decent home coverage in the first place!

One of the essential qualities of a mobile phone is that it's obviously mobile.

You need to evaluate all of the places that you'll be using it.

By switching from O2 to Three, I lost some coverage at home (the O2 signal here is stronger than Three), but I have gained signal in places where I simply couldn't use my phone before - including on the 2G Orange network.

One location in particular, has only Orange 2G coverage. Orange and T-Mobile don't have any good tariffs at the moment IMO, so Three was the logical choice.
  • Options
    nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is wrong with call; forwarding to a landline.

Giffgaff offer that free!

It would be a cheaper soloution for mobile networks than pico cells as most folks now have landline packages that include bundled calls.
    That's a total non-starter for all sorts of reasons. It doesn't work for texts for example nor does it enable me to use my iPhone with all my stored telephone numbers nor does it allow me to make outgoing calls out of my mobile phone minutes etc
  • Options
    nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fortunate to get some sort of signal on all the uk networks. 3 being the worst and often drops out. I get 5 bars of 3G on Vodafone, O2 and Orange and about 2 bars of tmobile 3G although with smart share it sticks on Orange. Although I do live in the suburbs of Norwich. 3 in general has the best coverage in Norwich though.
    We live in a large old farmhouse with very thick walls near Wroxham & signal is iffy for all the networks. With a Sure SIgnal for my wife's Vodafone phone & Home Signal for mine with Three we both get 100% coverage everywhere in the house. Previously we had to be within a couple of feet of a window. Neither O2 nor T-Mobile/Orange penetrate the centre of the house either. Using the fairly decent (5Mbps/768Kbps) unlimited broadband makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am currently paying £25 a month to Three.
    No other network offers unlimited data and tethering for that price.
    So my only choice if I wanted brilliant signal at home would be to go with Vodafone and end up paying at least £50 a month, if not more. Not going to happen.
    The vast majority of time I use my phone I am not at home, so it makes more sense to get a deal with suits me better where I use my phone the most.
  • Options
    battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just keeps trundling along...

After yet another call to 3 regarding the HSB I got the run-around. TBH I only really have problems when I'm downstairs at home. Everywhere else is absolutely fine. But it would be nice to know I could have perfect call and internet connections anywhere. 3 are still dragging their heels in letting me have a HSB. They actually said that because I was a pay monthly customer I wasn't entitled to one. We spend £70+ PM with 3 on two contracts. They said when I'm eligible for an upgrade they could let me have one then! In the meantime everytime I call and complain they refund part of my line rental. To date I've had about £100 back over the last six months. It would have been cheaper for them to just give me the box! Anyway, they are supposed to be calling me back next week with yet another excuse!

Watch this space!
  • Options
    jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i liked 3 with their free internet and 300 free text messages if i topped up my PAYG credit with £10, £20 etc, the only gripe was if my handset lost it's signal it would switch off and come back on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    battlezone wrote: »
    It just keeps trundling along...

After yet another call to 3 regarding the HSB I got the run-around. TBH I only really have problems when I'm downstairs at home. Everywhere else is absolutely fine. But it would be nice to know I could have perfect call and internet connections anywhere. 3 are still dragging their heels in letting me have a HSB. They actually said that because I was a pay monthly customer I wasn't entitled to one. We spend £70+ PM with 3 on two contracts. They said when I'm eligible for an upgrade they could let me have one then! In the meantime everytime I call and complain they refund part of my line rental. To date I've had about £100 back over the last six months. It would have been cheaper for them to just give me the box! Anyway, they are supposed to be calling me back next week with yet another excuse!

Watch this space!

Fill out their online complaint form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Form filled in and sent...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eventually got the Home Signal box a couple of weeks ago. Turns out is was my own doing that caused the weak signal inside the house. :eek:

About a year ago we had new windows fitted. At the time we had a silver reflective film put on the glass. The main reason was to stop nosey fcukas looking in but it also improve heat loss. If I opened the patio door the signal would shoot up. :D

Anyway all is well now. :p
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK Guys - can you pay extra to get this on PAYG. Our house is in a deadzone for all networks. I'm assuming not but I may even consider going on minimum contract just to get a chuffing signal...

I tried ringing three but they just passed me from one gormless assistant to another.

I'm sure this will have been answered in the thread already, so I will read back tonight when at home...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its seems to be contract only customers at the moment and it also seems to exclude sim only contract customers.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »
    Its seems to be contract only customers at the moment and it also seems to exclude sim only contract customers.

Damn. Thanks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »

And three do not issue them out to customers easy you have to fight for it.