Options

Robin Hood

NailzNailz Posts: 3,055
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been watching the BBCs Robin Hood on Lovefilm and feel that with the right people involved it could have been so much better and gone on to be as successful as Merlin.

Not such a big fan of Merlin with all the magic, witches and dragons etc. but Robin Hood was good fun at times.

Comments

• Options
    Rose-AddictRose-Addict Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seemed to be slated at the time but I really enjoyed it, especially S2 and 3. I love Merlin, but I enjoyed Robin Hood even more. I was gutted when it was axed.
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonas armstrong was miscast. Richard Armitage would have been better with his greater screen presence. The multi-arrow firing bow was a joke. The Night Watchman (Maid Marian) only inserted for political correctness. This show made the 1955 Robin Hood seem like Shakespeare. It can be done worse as The New Adventures of Robin Hood (1996) with Matthew Poretta proved.
  • Options
    uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it
    until Marion died
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was bloody awful but the one highlight was the Guy/Marion stuff...until they went and ruined that as well. But really the main problem was that it was far too modernised and ridiculously "right on"...it was just forced and embarrassing. It also didn't help that the actor playing Robin had less charisma than a potato.

I can't believe it got three whole series, but it's no surprise that the BBC were probably absolutely desperate to make something so, dare I say it, "PC" work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    uzzybuzzy wrote: »
    I loved it
    until Marion died

Exactly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I watched every series, not because I thought it was particually good, but because of Richard Armitage. :o He was the best thing about it. A very good actor with a commanding screen presence and unbelieveably handsome.
    Jonas Armstrong on the other hand had as much charisma as a dish cloth, and the woman who played Marion (can't remember her name), annoyed me so much!
    I was a bit dissapointed when it was axed, because I wouldn't get my weekly fix of Richard, but I love Merlin. A brilliant show that gets better every series.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best Robin Hood was Richard Greene in the old ITV series.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The best Robin Hood was Richard Greene in the old ITV series.

Nah the best Robin Hood was Michael Praed in Robin of Sherwood if we're talking TV adaptations. The best Robin Hood ever was Errol Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    It was awful with the H&M and Next styling, modern fabrics and anachronisms. That alone put me off. Give me Robin of Sherwood any day.
  • Options
    Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stella28 wrote: »
    I watched every series, not because I thought it was particually good, but because of Richard Armitage. :o He was the best thing about it. A very good actor with a commanding screen presence and unbelieveably handsome.
    Jonas Armstrong on the other hand had as much charisma as a dish cloth, and the woman who played Marion (can't remember her name), annoyed me so much!
    I was a bit dissapointed when it was axed, because I wouldn't get my weekly fix of Richard, but I love Merlin. A brilliant show that gets better every series.

Lucy Griffiths- seriously bad actress and was surprised to see her turn up in True Blood recently, Jonas Armstrong was awful even a still life drawing has more potential than he does. Really surprised they get work to be honest.

Griffiths was signed by CBS on a holding deal but was quickly booted to the kerb allegedly due to her attitude and poor acting skills.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    Jonas armstrong was miscast. Richard Armitage would have been better with his greater screen presence.

All a matter of taste though isn't it.

I thought Richard Armitage was perfect as Guy, and I loved Jonas's characterisation of Robin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Re-Minder wrote: »
    Lucy Griffiths- seriously bad actress and was surprised to see her turn up in True Blood recently, Jonas Armstrong was awful even a still life drawing has more potential than he does. Really surprised they get work to be honest.

Griffiths was signed by CBS on a holding deal but was quickly booted to the kerb allegedly due to her attitude and poor acting skills.

Thanks.
    They must have very good agents.
    Has Jonas Armstrong done anything since?
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

He was in The Streets as a soldier disfigured in Afghanistan - and he was very good.

He's just done a series that was on Sky, plus a series where he was a reporter.

And a couple of films I think - it's all on IMDB.

Lucy Griffiths was in a mini-series based on a Philippa Gregory book. Francesca Annis was her mother in law. Can't remember what it was called.
  • Options
    TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks.

I'm pretty sure he's been in Hit & Miss (that Sky "transsexual assassin" show with Chloe Sevigny) recently, it looked like him anyway. I remember reading he was on "The Street" or something like that as well.

Also, Robin Hood wasn't axed as such - Jonas Armstrong wanted to leave so the 3rd series would have been his final one anyway.

I watched all 3 series, and I have to say, the 3rd was a complete mess but the first 2 weren't bad at all.

I think the wrong decision was having Will and Djaq stay behind at the end of the 2nd series. I was happy Marian died as she just annoyed me :D

Loved: Guy, Robin Hood's men (not including any introduced in the 3rd series) and Djaq.

Hated: Robin Hood himself, and Marian.

Richard Armitage wouldn't have worked as Robin Hood, but he was perfect as Gisborne.

Someone mentioned Merlin earlier - would Bradley James have made a good Robin? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've got this on my DVD compilations, there's some great mini features as well. Nikolas Grace really was a genius Sheriff of Nottingham. There were so many great actors in Robin of Sherwood.
    Someone mentioned Merlin earlier - would Bradley James have made a good Robin? :D

Not for me no, much as I love Bradley as Arthur, I don't think he's the right build (ie physique) to play Robin Hood the sneaky and quick thinking outlaw. Bradley's too good looking and too regal, not sure he could get away with the "rough" nature of being a rebellious forest dweller.
    Colin Morgan, on the other hand, probably would make a good Robin Hood and Eoin Macken definitely would :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I've got this on my DVD compilations, there's some great mini features as well. Nikolas Grace really was a genius Sheriff of Nottingham. There were so many great actors in Robin of Sherwood.

Not for me no, much as I love Bradley as Arthur, I don't think he's the right build (ie physique) to play Robin Hood the sneaky and quick thinking outlaw. Bradley's too good looking and too regal, not sure he could get away with the "rough" nature of being a rebellious forest dweller.
    Colin Morgan, on the other hand, probably would make a good Robin Hood and Eoin Macken definitely would :)

Depends on your Robin Hood. Errol Flynn and Richard Greene were your dispossessed Saxon noblemen. Richard Todd was the vengeful villager.

Nickolas grace was a bit over the top as was Keith Allen. Alan Wheatley was excellent and in one episode of the first series even signed his own name on a document as the sheriff of nottingham. Could not see that being done now.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Nah the best Robin Hood was Michael Praed in Robin of Sherwood if we're talking TV adaptations. The best Robin Hood ever was Errol Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood ;)

Michael Praed with all the acting ability of a stuffed ferret.

The last adaptation was waaaay better than the 80s one.

It had a better storyline (hell it had a storyline - not just a series of very repetitive episodes with something tacked on at the end about some table that represented 'England':rolleyes:)

The characters were better - both in Robin's gang and (even more so) with the enemy.

The 1980s Sherriff was a simpering idiot - Keith Allen's wasa clever, scheming character and you could actually see how he acheived, and managed, power.

Guy went from a cruel idiot to a fully rounded and deep character.

The acting was better, the writing was better and the premise was better in the recentone.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you seen him in North and South ? - OMG:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on your Robin Hood. Errol Flynn and Richard Greene were your dispossessed Saxon noblemen. Richard Todd was the vengeful villager.

Nickolas grace was a bit over the top as was Keith Allen. Alan Wheatley was excellent and in one episode of the first series even signed his own name on a document as the sheriff of nottingham. Could not see that being done now.

Yes Bradley could play the Robin Earl of Huntingdon version of Robin Hood. However, I believe the question being asked was could he have played the version that Jonas Armstrong played in the latest adaptation and I still believe that no, he isn't suited for that interpretation.

I enjoyed the Richard Greene version of Robin Hood as well, my personal favourite is still Michael Praed on TV and Errol Flynn in film.
    Frood wrote: »
    Michael Praed with all the acting ability of a stuffed ferret.

The last adaptation was waaaay better than the 80s one.

It had a better storyline (hell it had a storyline - not just a series of very repetitive episodes with something tacked on at the end about some table that represented 'England':rolleyes:)

The characters were better - both in Robin's gang and (even more so) with the enemy.

The 1980s Sherriff was a simpering idiot - Keith Allen's wasa clever, scheming character and you could actually see how he acheived, and managed, power.

Guy went from a cruel idiot to a fully rounded and deep character.

The acting was better, the writing was better and the premise was better in the recentone.

And we shall agree to disagree as most of your comments I could apply to the 1980s version over the latest BBC remake. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just remembered people calling the Jonas Armstrong series Robin Hoodies or some variation of that - it was so true. It represented just how wrong a project can go when the programme makers are so desperate to hook in the "modern audience" above all else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found on youtube at 19:09 signature A Wheatley Sheriff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NqnUIZkd5g
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, I have to admit I rather fancied Jonas Armstrong as Robin Hood :o I can say it here, where nobody knows me! :D

Richard Armitage was a great Guy of Gisborne but far too malevolent to actually be sexy.

I even didn't mind Keith Allen as the sheriff, even though, in my mind, Alan Rickman made the part his own. Once you got used to the way the show was, KA was quite hilarious in a pantomime villain sort of way.

But I agree with uzzybuzzy, it was ok right up until the moment when they killed off one of the main characters. There was no point to it after that.

Merlin, on the other hand, just gets better and better. And Bradley James could act the part of a slug - who cares? Anything to see him on screen!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Have you seen him in North and South ? - OMG:D

I didn't watch it when it was on the tv because I don't like period dramas, but I've seen some on Youtube (don't know if it's still on there) and I totally agree with you.
    He's one seriously gorgeous man!

As a Merlin fan I'd love to see Richard in it, I think he'd be really good.
    I'd have like to have seen him as Agravaine instead of Nathaniel Parker.
  • Options
    TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch it when it was on the tv because I don't like period dramas, but I've seen some on Youtube (don't know if it's still on there) and I totally agree with you.
    He's one seriously gorgeous man!

As a Merlin fan I'd love to see Richard in it, I think he'd be really good.
    I'd have like to have seen him as Agravaine instead of Nathaniel Parker.

If you like Richard then I'd suggest watching the final 2 episodes of "The Vicar of Dibley" - he plays a guy who meets and marries Dawn French's character (the vicar) within those 2 episodes :D You can see him having to contain his laughter in one certain scene.