Options

The Spice Girls are 95% confirmed to perform for the London 2012 Closing Ceremony.

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where have my posts gone????
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    They appealed to everyone not just teen girls I remember boys girls teen and even adults liking them weather your taste or not they had some brilliant songs yes the pop stuff was more. Cheesy. The fact that their music has lived on shows that.
    People who arent a fan will knock. Which is fine not everyone has to like them But you can't deny them.

Really? i was a teen boy at the time and no other teen boy i knew thought they were good, the only discussions i had with my friends about the spice girls was which order you would have sex with them, most of the girls preferred britpop or dance music at that time as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    If it's okay for Jagger, Cliff and rest of the old boys the wrong side of 60 to wobble out and make everyone cringe then it's okay to bring out the spice girls in their mid-late 30s!
    There is room for everyone. Why not celebrate the biggest girl group of all time of one of your most internationally recognised exports?
    How dull would the concert be if it was all one genre of music.

One thing I've noticed about you Brits... You love a good moan.

Lighten up!

the rolling stones made great albums and classic songs for the best part of 20 years (until the early 80's), the spice girls made bland pop songs that sound really dated only 15 years later, not one song of theirs could be considered a classic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    the rolling stones made great albums and classic songs for the best part of 20 years (until the early 80's), the spice girls made bland pop songs that sound really dated only 15 years later, not one song of theirs could be considered a classic

Didn't you know? Wannabe is up there with the Bohemium Rhapsodys and the Brown Sugars of the world apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How arrogant of you to make such a statement rather than state that it is your opinion. Sure, many people will agree with you but there will be people who disagree with you.

Music snobbery is my pet hate. No need for it and for its use in trying to belittle other people who like a certain act.
  • Options
    MattchatMattchat Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Hope they do !! Please
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't you know? Wannabe is up there with the Bohemium Rhapsodys and the Brown Sugars of the world apparently.

Aye if 'Brown Sugar' is a euphemism for a runny jobby then Wannabe is most certainly that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love them or loathe them, the Spice Girls WERE a huge part of the British music scene, albeit for a very brief time, selling huge amounts of records worldwide and were clearly very patriotic in some of their interviews.

Why not have them as part of the London Olympics celebrations?

Whether their music is credible are not, them performing together will add a great deal of fun and spectacle to the ceremony, which is exactly what we need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How arrogant of you to make such a statement rather than state that it is your opinion. Sure, many people will agree with you but there will be people who disagree with you.

Music snobbery is my pet hate. No need for it and for its use in trying to belittle other people who like a certain act.

People who complain about so called 'music snobbery' tend to be the folk who like shite like the Spice Girls.
    What you falsely call 'music snobbery' I call 'lower shit tolerance'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moose1982 wrote: »
    Love them or loathe them, the Spice Girls WERE a huge part of the British music scene, albeit for a very brief time, selling huge amounts of records worldwide and were clearly very patriotic in some of their interviews.

Why not have them as part of the London Olympics celebrations?

Whether their music is credible are not, them performing together will add a great deal of fun and spectacle to the ceremony, which is exactly what we need.

Selling loads of records is not a justification to have them at a celebration of Great British music. Making a great record that stands the test of time should be the justification. Something the Spice Girls never did.
    And if giving patriotic interviews is a main requisite, rather than musical ability, why not throw Nick Griffin up on stage with a banjo?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    People who complain about so called 'music snobbery' tend to be the folk who like shite like the Spice Girls.

Class:D
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Selling loads of records is not a justification to have them at a celebration of Great British music.

"The Closing Ceremony of the Olympic Games will be titled ‘A Symphony of British Music’, to celebrate the fact that music has been one of Britain’s strongest cultural exports over the last 50 years."

-Official London 2012 website.

The Spice Girls are one of Britain's biggest musical exports of the last 50 years.

You stand corrected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Making a great record that stands the test of time should be the justification. Something the Spice Girls never did.

I would say that the fact that the Spice Girls' music is being turned into a big budget Stage Production by Judy Craymer and Jennifer Saunders is evidence that their music has stood the test of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Closing Ceremony of the Olympic Games will be titled ‘A Symphony of British Music’, to celebrate the fact that music has been one of Britain’s strongest cultural exports over the last 50 years.

The Spice Girls are one of Britain's biggest musical exports of the last 50 years.

You stand corrected.

To celebrate that music is one of Britains strongest cultural exports.
    It doesn't say a celebration of Big selling acts.
    So Its celebrating the great music that made that possible.
    If it was based on how much was sold they'd have the Bay City Rollers, Hermans Hermits, Culture Club and stuff like that.
    Big sellers but not great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that the fact that the Spice Girls' music is being turned into a big budget Stage Production by Judy Craymer and Jennifer Saunders is evidence that their music has stood the test of time.

As I said to you yesterday the fact it's being made into a musical means nothing to the quality of the songs. It just means some thought they could make money.
    Look at One Direction.
    Terrible songs but they make money.
    The songs aren't going to become any better being sung in the West End by John Barrowman. They'd still be shit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The Closing Ceremony of the Olympic Games will be titled ‘A Symphony of British Music’, to celebrate the fact that music has been one of Britain’s strongest cultural exports over the last 50 years."

You stand corrected.

^^^^^ THIS!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said to you yesterday the fact it's being made into a musical means nothing to the quality of the songs. It just means some thought they could make money.
    Look at One Direction.
    Terrible songs but they make money.
    The songs aren't going to become any better being sung in the West End by John Barrowman. They'd still be shit.

The idea is for musical theater fans to go and see this production. Not Spice Girls' fans.

In the same way that Judy Craymer previously produced a musical (and film) featuring the music of Abba which went on to appeal to non-Abba fans.

This is not possible if the songs themselves are of no merit.

Use your brain boyo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the spice girls were good at what they did and sold a lot of records, however this attempt to elevate them and their songs and suggest they are something they are not is nonsensical, they are an average girlband who somehow lucked onto massive success, no better than girls aloud , the sugababes, the saturdays etc, the nonsensical meaningless sub feminist bullshit of girl power was also pathetic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You stand corrected.

so any old pish will do as long as its succesful, great why not get subo hooked up on a harness so she can fly around the stadium singing her massive selling turds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A MUSICAL!!!! why didn't you say earlier, this obviously proves how important the spice girls are, i'm embarrassed now :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boys were not in to the Spice Girls. For us boys it was all about Pulp, Blur, Suede, The Verve, Chemical Brothers and Oasis.
    It was really young kids, under ten, who were into the Spice Girls.
    I had to take my cousin, who was 5 at the time, to see Spiceworld the movie. It ruined my Boxing Day and I've never forgiven him. Although if you remind him of his Preschool Spice love now, he denies it. It's his secret shame.
    Of course I have a picture of him with a 'Baby' doll and wearing a Geri mask that will be getting used to humiliate him on his 21st Birthday.

poppycock
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monster101 wrote: »
    poppycock

no girl above 11 /12 bought into the girl power shite and no guys i knew were fans
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no girl above 11 /12 bought into the girl power shite and no guys i knew were fans

I was in Middle school when The Spice Girls broke out and in my experience, more boys started liking them when the Say You'll Be There video came out...

Who 'liked' the Spice Girls back in the day is kind of irrelevant.. what's the discussion?

A good song is a good song.

But if you find that you don't like any Spice Girls songs then don't listen to them.

If you don't like The Spice Girls and the inevitable hype they generate at every event they take part in, then try to ignore it.
    Clicking onto topics about them to vent about how bad they were/are is unhealthy behaviour in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Without wanting to slip to your level and insult you for no good reason other than music taste, I think its fair to point out that people who liked the Spice Girls also could and can like other music genre's/bands/acts. We just have more diverse tastes and don't take ourselves, or our love of music, too seriously. So, imo, your "lower sh*t tolerance" statement falls on its arse and reinforces my original opinion of people's snobbery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like the girls and all, but, I have to disagree with you here. I dont think this means their music has stood the test of time bar a few songs. I think the majority of their songs are very much "of their time" and sound very 90s. But that, for me, is the charm of listening to them again so many years on.