Options

Great Britain NOT 'Team GB'

ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I the only one who HATES the name 'Team GB'.

Why can't they just call us Great Britain like they used to?
Every time I hear someone say it I just feel like shouting at the tv 'We are NOT team bloody GB we are Great Britain.

Last night I was watching the football and I kept hearing Mark Lawrenson calling us Team GB and it just sounded so stupid.

Comments

• Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you most certainly are not the only one. 'Team GB' has become the norm among those who wish to sound trendy. Including the BBC sadly.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,237
    Forum Member
    I love Team GB. :)
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if you want to be pedantic it's Team Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Well if you want to be pedantic it's Team Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Interestingly though, most Northern Irish athletes are representing Ireland instead at these Games : Team GB is near enough to being a genuine Great Britain team.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I dont mind the phrase Team GB when they are referring to all GB athletes and the technical & support staff as a whole. That's absolutely fine in my book.

However, I hate it when individual events get the treatment. Team GB 1, Senegal 0. No. That's just wrong.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I can't see what's wrong with it myself. It's just a tag.
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I don't like it either, every time I hear it I think of twilight and team x or y (don't know the characters, never watched it) or some other show like x-factor.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't used to have an issue with it, but the way "GeeBee" has been over used its started to get on my wick.

Its trying to emulate the "Team USA" moniker but it just doesn't seem to manage it. Regardless, let's hope Team Great Britain do well throught both games.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    I dont mind the phrase Team GB when they are referring to all GB athletes and the technical & support staff as a whole. That's absolutely fine in my book.

However, I hate it when individual events get the treatment. Team GB 1, Senegal 0. No. That's just wrong.

This is my view - it sounds ok as a whole but not for individual events.
  • Options
    Finchy44Finchy44 Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I have ever really thought about it so it obviously doesn't bother me in the sightest!
  • Options
    BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's awful, we are Great Britain not Team GeeBee.
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Interestingly though, most Northern Irish athletes are representing Ireland instead at these Games : Team GB is near enough to being a genuine Great Britain team.

I think there's a few Northern Irish athletes competing for Great Britain, saw a guy on the news the other night from there who is part of the team.

There will also be some representing the Republic of Ireland ofcourse, depending on which nationality that they see themselves as.

I guess it would be technically more accurate to be Team UK, but I think most people seem to regard both as meaning the same.
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports presenter Jeff Stelling had a great little rant about this very issue during the Beijing Olympics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM6hR6WP--k

:D
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The name of the team was always GB and NI while i was growing up.

When did they dump the northern Irish?
  • Options
    MarkLS12MarkLS12 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    The name of the team was always GB and NI while i was growing up.

When did they dump the northern Irish?
    They didn't dump NI the full name is Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    The "Team GB" thing is a branding exercise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkLS12 wrote: »
    They didn't dump NI the full name is Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    The "Team GB" thing is a branding exercise.

A branding exercise that excludes a part of the UK?

Why would they do that?
  • Options
    ProvinceProvince Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why would they do that?

"Team GB" is concise. "Team UK" would be a better choice but even then there are people representing "Team GB" from outside the UK also.

Mark Cavendish is from the Isle of Man, but represents "Team GB", the Isle of Man isn't part of the UK.
  • Options
    rivetheadrivethead Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why would they do that?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=59919661&postcount=2

That's a post I wrote earlier explaining why NI isn't in the name, even though the Brits wanted it put in recently.

As someone else pointed out, having an Irishman on the International Olympic Committee who sided with the Irish on GB&NI not being the team name didn't help!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Province wrote: »
    "Team GB" is concise. "Team UK" would be a better choice but even then there are people representing "Team GB" from outside the UK also.

Mark Cavendish is from the Isle of Man, but represents "Team GB", the Isle of Man isn't part of the UK.

Yeah, but NI is part of the historic team GB and NI team.For this Olympics they have simply been cut out as part of a marketing exercise .

Seems a bit sad really.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow... Dub2's gone unionist! :eek:

Thanks for efforts of trying to associate the north with GB through the olympic name.... But we're not really all that bothered about it... Do you now own a bowler hat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Wow... Dub2's gone unionist! :eek:

Thanks for efforts of trying to associate the north with GB through the olympic name.... But we're not really all that bothered about it... Do you now own a bowler hat?

Interesting that you lads can never discuss an issue without having a pop at the `enemy`.

Grow up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that you lads can never discuss an issue without having a pop at the `enemy`.

Grow up.

Having a pop? Not at all... just saying that we don't mind Team GB sticking with that name... Much as it is appreciated, we don't need southerners protesting on our behalf, go raibh maith agat! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a pop? Not at all... just saying that we don't mind Team GB sticking with that name... Much as it is appreciated, we don't need southerners protesting on our behalf, go raibh maith agat! :D

So you speak for all `northerners`? Is it possible that people from the `other` community may feel differently to you?

Honestly, grow up. Let people discuss these issues without bringing your hatred into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you speak for all `northerners`? Is it possible that people from the `other` community may feel differently to you?

Honestly, grow up. Let people discuss these issues without bringing your hatred into it.

Hatred? Wheres the hate. I love all the people on these 2 islands.... okay, maybe not the christian brothers but they deserve it!

Nope - dont remember the unionist community complaining about the name either.... and god knows, if they were pissed about NI being left off the name, you would hear about it. Frankly we've better things to be worried about than the name of the British Olympic team... DUP ministers imposing stricter alcohol laws for a start :D

But, its nice to see you're thinking of us down there... I got lost in Tallaght last week... not a nice place to get lost in :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hatred? Wheres the hate. I love all the people on these 2 islands.... okay, maybe not the christian brothers but they deserve it!

Nope - dont remember the unionist community complaining about the name either.... and god knows, if they were pissed about NI being left off the name, you would hear about it. Frankly we've better things to be worried about than the name of the British Olympic team... DUP ministers imposing stricter alcohol laws for a start :D

But, its nice to see you're thinking of us down there... I got lost in Tallaght last week... not a nice place to get lost in :(

Tallaght`s a strange place. Believe it or not it has it`s nice areas.

But i am delighted you lads have no problem with being cut out of the GB and NI team.

Makes a united Ireland all the sooner in my book.:)