Options

Why is the Tom Daley tweeter being questioned by police ?

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
clicky

I don't get it. Admitted, what he said was not pleasant, but it was only an opinion. Just how sanitised do people's comments have to be ?
A teenager has been arrested by police investigating abuse of Team GB diver Tom Daley on Twitter.

After coming fourth in the men's synchronised 10m platform diving event on Monday, the 18-year-old received a message telling him he had let down his father.

Daley's father Rob died in May 2011 from brain cancer.

Sir Clive Woodward, the Deputy Chef de Mission for Team GB, said Daley was taking the incident "in his stride".

Or am I being too insensitive ?

Comments

• Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Didn't he record a video clip making violent threats and such
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Because we like to waste police time on trivial things that can be cured with one click of a block button.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    Because we like to waste police time on trivial things that can be cured with one click of a block button.

there's more to it then the hating
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Didn't he record a video clip making violent threats and such

I don't know, did he ?

I haven't read that. Just that he said Tom had let down his Dad.
  • Options
    PerfectionPerfection Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is at all he said? It is disrespectful, but surely not police involvement worthy.

Have the police got nothing better to do than protect peoples feelings.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess because when someone complains to the police they HAVE to investigate, and if there are videos with violent threats they have to take it a bit more seriously. If something were to happen in the future and he hasn't been investigated after someone complained, they would be in more trouble.

Personally I agree, the fact everyone knows who he is and what he said will be with him for ever, the ********, but the police have to do their job.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    It's not the comment about him letting his dead Dad down that he's being questioned about. He went too far and issued threats of injury and death. If they're alerted to them, the police have a duty to investigate such crimes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »

It's only wasting police time if Joe 6 Pack is the victim, not one of our athlebrities.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He said he'd hunt him down and drown him

When other folk told him to wise up, he said he'd hunt them down and shoot them.

I reckon that half witted ninnies who witter thus on Twitter aren't actually making death threats, but I suppose that one day, someone will and they'll act on it and that's when everyone will be up in arms that the police did nothing.
  • Options
    WhothamanWhothaman Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    clicky

I don't get it. Admitted, what he said was not pleasant, but it was only an opinion. Just how sanitised do people's comments have to be ?

I wouldn't describe it as an 'opinion'? It's not as if he thought "I wonder if his father would feel let down by that performance? Yes I think he would and I should let him know".

He did it to insult Daley and cause hurt and upset, nothing else!

Besides that isn't what he was arrested for anyway was it? I'm pretty certain he was threatening people and giving abuse to all and sundry. Including racist comments.
  • Options
    KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are threads about this in the London 2012 forum. He made threats that he would kill and torture several people and used racial slurs against a number of others.
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that it was a member of the public that contacted the police to complain - it wasn't TD. I believe that the tweet saying that he would find TD and drown him is taking things a bit too far
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    He said he'd hunt him down and drown him

When other folk told him to wise up, he said he'd hunt them down and shoot them.

I reckon that half witted ninnies who witter thus on Twitter aren't actually making death threats, but I suppose that one day, someone will and they'll act on it and that's when everyone will be up in arms that the police did nothing.

If he did say that, then case closed. It is right that he be arrested. But the BBC article makes zero mention of it, for whatever reason. It merely mentions the insult, making the arrest look absurd.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the tweets before it was all deleted and if I remember rightly it was more than 1 tweet and there were even death threats to other twitter users. Extremely nasty stuff, and extremely nasty individual and people have got to realise they cant just go round saying this stuff on a public domain and there should be a change in the law to reflect this. Nothing to do with freedom of speech, but more to do with respect.
    Twitter and Facebook are relatively new. A bit like when we first got the motor car. It was probably some time before drink drive laws came along. Now it seems to make total sense.
    What should and shouldnt be done and said on the internet needs to be taught in school from now on. Idiots like this think they can do and say what they like. Well clearly they CANT and SHOULDNT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it wasnt only that remark.
    He went into other areas not only about Tom.
    its time twitter got cleanedup people think they can just go on there say whatever they like
    yet step out the door and do the same you get arrested.

This isnt just a case of PC gone made he's said some pretty horrendous comments
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    It's not the comment about him letting his dead Dad down that he's being questioned about. He went too far and issued threats of injury and death. If they're alerted to them, the police have a duty to investigate such crimes.

The tweeter has been given a police warning.

http://news.sky.com/story/967096/teenager-held-over-daley-tweets-given-warning
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The video Rileyy69 made - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHA4Gc9PRtA
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he did say that, then case closed. It is right that he be arrested. But the BBC article makes zero mention of it, for whatever reason. It merely mentions the insult, making the arrest look absurd.

I saw his video clip BB. Can confirm that he did say these things. A complete tosser.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

...and
    The teenager has also been bailed to return to the police station at a later date while police investigate other communications on his Twitter account.

Having seen some of the other stuff he posted, I bet he's bricking it.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clicky

I think it might be more for the threats he made.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    I asked myself the same question this morning when they were going on about it on Sky news.

The 'malicious tweets' they showed were the 'letting your dad down comment' followed by a series of apologies by the poster and I thought well, this is all a bit of a storm in a teacup.

Wasn't aware he posted threats though.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I had a look and he has threatened violence to a number of people, including drowning, shooting, and shoving knives down peoples throats. Nasty individual.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I read he has made racist remarks days ago?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KookyKatie wrote: »

According to the thread in the Olympics section that video wasn't about Tom Daley.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I had a look and he has threatened violence to a number of people, including drowning, shooting, and shoving knives down peoples throats. Nasty individual.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I read he has made racist remarks days ago?
    Yep . A muslim guy complained about the Tom Daley remarks and he threatened to burn his national flag and "Murder Allah" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    According to the thread in the Olympics section that video wasn't about Tom Daley.

If that's true, it only makes him look worse. If he exhibits a pattern of behaviour that involves violent threats and racial abuse, all the more reason for the police to get involved.

I've heard people try to excuse him as a 17 year old boy mouthing off, but it's not as if 17 year old boys never attack people. He may never show the initiative to track down and attack the people he harasses on Twitter, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's been violent towards people he actually knows.

And he won't be 17 forever. It's because people excuse the antisocial behaviour of little toerags as mere immaturity that they grow up to become criminals. A little discipline and a stern talking to from the police is exactly what people like him need.