Options

If Scotland goes independant in 2014 what will happen to the Olympic tean GB for 2016

Kellie BKellie B Posts: 255
Forum Member
Will the Scottish members of Team GB be allowed to stay Team GB if they want or will they have to leave and go on a Team Scotland one and will they have enough time to prefer for such an outcome?

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it won't be called bloody team scotland for one .....
  • Options
    TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
    Forum Member
    We'll offer any Scot with a half decent chance of a medal an English Passport (remember Zola Budd?)
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt Scotland will even go independent. New polls today show support for it is decreasing!
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt Scotland will even go independent. New polls today show support for it is decreasing!

What poll was that?
  • Options
    TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
    Forum Member

None of my Scottish relatives have any enthusiasm for independence (that I am aware of).
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if Scotland voted for independence in 2014 I doubt actual independence would happen that quickly
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once Scotland is independant, there would be no Scots in the team. A bit like the GB Football team.:o
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kellie B wrote: »
    Will the Scottish members of Team GB be allowed to stay Team GB if they want or will they have to leave and go on a Team Scotland one and will they have enough time to prefer for such an outcome?

Not much to the men's football team. There's no scots in it.
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Once Scotland is independant, there would be no Scots in the team. A bit like the GB Football team.:o

Sorry just repeated you :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Technically I suppose the UK could become:

The (United)* Kingdom of Britannia and Northern Ireland
    or
    The (United) Kingdom of Britannia and Northern Hibernia :D

as Britannia is technically the Roman name for Great Britain not including Scotland (Caledonia).

*united in brackets as constitutionally im not sure due to Northern Ireland as I know Wales and England are a single entity
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Because Scotland didn't allow it and the SFA were moaning about it, so he left them out - Kim Little is from Aberdeen though and she's with a history making women's football squad and she's one of the best players of the tournament so far, the Welsh FA were indifferent about it but they realised it was a chance for the likes of Giggs/Bellamy/Ramsay and so on to play in a major international tournament which could be important in the future development of Welsh players for the Euros or World Cups, its a shame the SFA can't see this as they could reap the same benefits.

However if you are Scottish and had English/NI/Welsh decent in your family, you could still qualify for Team GB.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There would be a Team UK (England, Wales, Northern Ireland) and a Team Scotland.

Obviously funding would drop significantly for the likes of Sir Chris Hoy, so they are unlikely to be pleased.

Any who have English, Welsh or Northern Irish parents/grandparents would probably get to stay with Team UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Because Scotland didn't allow it and the SFA were moaning about it, so he left them out - Kim Little is from Aberdeen though and she's with a history making women's football squad and she's one of the best players of the tournament so far, the Welsh FA were indifferent about it but they realised it was a chance for the likes of Giggs/Bellamy/Ramsay and so on to play in a major international tournament which could be important in the future development of Welsh players for the Euros or World Cups, its a shame the SFA can't see this as they could reap the same benefits.

However if you are Scottish and had English/NI/Welsh decent in your family, you could still qualify for Team GB.
    That's not true. The Scottish and Welsh FA had exactly the same attitude - they didn't like it, didn't support it, but wouldn't stop any players from playing if they wanted to.

No Scottish players made the team, although they did make the shortlist.

I think the SFA did exactly the right thing. Questions have been raised to FIFA before about whether Great Britain should compete as 4 separate nations and the SFA's defence has always been that it would be inconceivable to not have a Scottish team and play as part of a "Team GB". They felt agreeing to do this would totally wreck their argument, so they said no, but crucially also said they wouldn't stop Scottish players joining and they didn't have a problem with the FA submitting an English team under the Team GB banner.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The population of Scotland is about the same as the population of Greater London. I doubt that with such a small pool to draw from they would only be able to enter one or two categories and they wouldn't win any medals.
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Sponsorship will mean Team UK will become Team Pepsi or Team Always Sanitary Pads
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cent wrote: »
    That's not true. The Scottish and Welsh FA had exactly the same attitude - they didn't like it, didn't support it, but wouldn't stop any players from playing if they wanted to.

No Scottish players made the team, although they did make the shortlist.

I think the SFA did exactly the right thing. Questions have been raised to FIFA before about whether Great Britain should compete as 4 separate nations and the SFA's defence has always been that it would be inconceivable to not have a Scottish team and play as part of a "Team GB". They felt agreeing to do this would totally wreck their argument, so they said no, but crucially also said they wouldn't stop Scottish players joining and they didn't have a problem with the FA submitting an English team under the Team GB banner.

Are you producing any players to play at a tournament like this? - Scottish Football at its peak right now is Charlie Adam and Alan Hutton, thats what I meant about the Welsh FA, they didn't want it to happen but Giggs and Bellamy spoke common sense, I don't see Wales/Scotland progressing to the World Cup, so GBR maybe your next best thing and you can basque in the glory, one of the rowers who got gold today was Scottish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Are you producing any players to play at a tournament like this? - Scottish Football at its peak right now is Charlie Adam and Alan Hutton, thats what I meant about the Welsh FA, they didn't want it to happen but Giggs and Bellamy spoke common sense, I don't see Wales/Scotland progressing to the World Cup, so GBR maybe your next best thing and you can basque in the glory, one of the rowers who got gold today was Scottish.
    And so was the swimmer who got silver.

But if you are asking if I think any of our footballers are good enough to be in that team, the answer is no, sadly. We don't have the same level of investment in training young footballers. Both players you mention would be too old and with only 3 spaces for players 23+, it's totally unrealistic to think they would be chosen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And so was the swimmer who got silver.

But if you are asking if I think any of our footballers are good enough to be in that team, the answer is no, sadly. We don't have the same level of investment in training young footballers. Both players you mention would be too old and with only 3 spaces for players 23+, it's totally unrealistic to think they would be chosen.

Barry Bannan was due to be in GB but he got injured and had to withdraw, the Olympics have been very beneficial to other nations so in Scottish Football interests they would help development in players for Scotland in FIFA / UEFA tournaments.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then Andy Murray wouldn't be able to team up with Laura Robson for mixed doubles as he will be tomorrow
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    The population of Scotland is about the same as the population of Greater London. I doubt that with such a small pool to draw from they would only be able to enter one or two categories and they wouldn't win any medals.

Aye, that's right Scotland hasn't managed to do anything at the Olympics....................oh hang on a minute;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Olympic_medallists

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There would be a Team UK (England, Wales, Northern Ireland) and a Team Scotland.

Obviously funding would drop significantly for the likes of Sir Chris Hoy, so they are unlikely to be pleased.

Any who have English, Welsh or Northern Irish parents/grandparents would probably get to stay with Team UK.

Well there would be a team but it wouldn't be called Team Uk, Team RUK maybe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »

Scotland has the same size population As Norway and they compete and win medals, I expect Scotland would do the same. ;)
  • Options
    HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, that's right Scotland hasn't managed to do anything at the Olympics....................oh hang on a minute;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Olympic_medallists

:D

Scotland, per head of population gambles a great deal more than England or Wales so they will have a lot of lottery money to put into sport. On the down side you probably would not want a nation of gamblers to be in charge of financial regulation - or perhaps you do - deregulation, in most decades, works. We're the unlikely generation.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The polls have always been around 30 % ;)