Options

Ben Ainslie

TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
Forum Member
✭✭✭
That Gold medal looks to be slipping away , you can see it in Ainslies body language , hopefully that Dane blows up but with only 4 out of the 10 races left it doesn't look to good.

Comments

• Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The gold is pretty much gone already imo :(
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Ainslie was one of our safer medal bets too :(
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    What a shock. Hope he turns it arround. He stemmed to be odds on for gold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ainslie was one of our safer medal bets too :(

Hes looking fine for a medal , just that this Dane is on fire so the Gold is looking bleak , Like Fab said its probably gone and judging by Ainslies demeanour i think he suspects it to ,

He was a few years above me in school so obviously i hope that little bit more with him at the Olympics , either way hes had an unreal career.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    TheFridge wrote: »
    Hes looking fine for a medal , just that this Dane is on fire so the Gold is looking bleak , Like Fab said its probably gone and judging by Ainslies demeanour i think he suspects it to ,

He was a few years above me in school so obviously i hope that little bit more with him at the Olympics , either way hes had an unreal career.

Sorry, I should've said 'safer gold medal bets'. :o
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh dear. Another Brit gold medal opportunity slipping away :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking better now , 1st place with the Dane in 8th , exactly what was needed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing about sailing its about consistency being good day in day out. His rival capsized today and lost a lot of ground. End result - its much closer again, Ben in second and a close second at that.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,695
    Forum Member
    Its never over until the final race has ended. Anything can happen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    A brilliant day for Ben, beating the Danish sailor in both races! Yay !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great Dane wrote: »
    A brilliant day for Ben, beating the Danish sailor in both races! Yay !!

Rat's was out and missed his win. What are the standings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon8769 wrote: »
    Rat's was out and missed his win. What are the standings?

Hes 3 points behind now , was 10 before today.

Anyone else see his interview ?

'Im angry , you dont want to make me angry' lol brilliant stuff , he genuinely was pissed right off.

Some dodgy little games going on out there , cant wait to see what happens tommorow in it.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyone else see his interview ?

'Im angry , you dont want to make me angry' lol brilliant stuff , he genuinely was pissed right off.

Some dodgy little games going on out there , cant wait to see what happens tommorow in it.

Yeah, great interview, I'd love him to beat that Dane now as it sounds a lot like the Dane and Dutch guy were ganging up on Ben because they're sick of him winning so much. Really hope it backfires on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Yeah, great interview, I'd love him to beat that Dane now as it sounds a lot like the Dane and Dutch guy were ganging up on Ben because their sick of him winning so much. Really hope it backfires on them.

Really hope so , hes right back in it now , i love seeing emotion like that , The Judo semi final earlier was awesome to on an emotional level.
  • Options
    Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love watching the computer graphics on the TV with the miniature boats and the GPS. Looks like a game of lemings on boats!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    I love watching the computer graphics on the TV with the miniature boats and the GPS. Looks like a game of lemings on boats!

Ha ye its better watching it like that , gives us a better picture of it all.
  • Options
    Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
    Forum Member

Anyone else see his inter:eek:view ?

Yes, I saw that interview!!! Looks like he's got a real temper on him!!! I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of him!!!
    lol:eek::D
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter E wrote: »
    Yes, I saw that interview!!! Looks like he's got a real temper on him!!! I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of him!!!
    lol:eek::D

The general consensus (I think) is that he's insanely competitive. That is, the likes of John McEnroe and Bradley Wiggins (to name but two) are pussycats in comparison. But only when in a boat. Get him on dry land and he's gentle and charming. I'd get on any side of him given half a chance! (Oops, uncalled for and unnecessary - but my point stands.)
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikes Mike wrote: »

I agree, the coverage is far superior than at the previous Olympics. I can even put up with the inane coverage of the screaming banshees waving their flags on the shoreline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great result ! hes right back in it now , all he has to do is finish above the Dane in the Medal Race and Gold is his.
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Great result ! hes right back in it now , all he has to do is finish above the Dane in the Medal Race and Gold is his.

I've asked this in the live thread but why would he win if they were tied on points?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zieler wrote: »
    I've asked this in the live thread but why would he win if they were tied on points?

Im guessing a bit here but i think each sailor can disguard their worst race score , Ainslies is 12th and the Dane 8th so does that put him ahead ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked the BBC site , no it still puts him 2 points behind , must be more points for the medal race ? i really dont know , maybe someone else does ?
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 2 points behind but it's double points for the medal race so any finish ahead of the Dane and he has to be at least tied. Speculating from that I'd guess that the tie breaker must be who finishes ahead in the medal race?
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    You get double points in the final race . Ainslie only has to finish ahead of the Dane to win gold. Even if they're the last two to finish.