Options

Why is David Cameron trying to take credit for the games being in London?

Comments

• Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    Well the games weren't here until the opening ceremony so it is accurate :P
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Politicians don't change - take credit for something positive a previous government instigated, but quick to point the finger at a previous government when it's a negative.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    Riding bandwagons is what every politician tries to do at any possible opportunity. We should be surprised if the PM doesn't get in a few photo opps with the most popular medallists once the Games are finished.

True, but he'll only ride the bandwagon till the gravy train arrives;)

Oh and a message to the Tory defence team - thinking that the tories are greedy self-serving scumbags dosen't automatically equal being a labour supporter as that bunch of tossers weren't much better.
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Ofcourse they're quiet.They've all gone on holiday at the same time again just to prove they didn't learn from the last time.

Well make up your flippin mind. Is David Cameron going round claiming kudos for the games or is he quiet having gone on holiday.

Actually just turned on BBC News & guess who is out claiming credit no other than Tony Blair. Then BBC1 tell us Tony is on Radio 5. Blatently obvious that Labour are on a 'claim credit' crusade on the media tonight. Pathetic. Folks don't want the Olympics tied up with party politics.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course in 2005 Labour were asked if the military would run the security for The Games. The military were told not to worry Labour would get in a private contracter.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosnikrapl
    Well make up your flippin mind. Is David Cameron going round claiming kudos for the games or is he quiet having gone on holiday.

I didn't say he was quiet.
    Actually just turned on BBC News & guess who is out claiming credit no other than Tony Blair. Then BBC1 tell us Tony is on Radio 5. Blatently obvious that Labour are on a 'claim credit' crusade on the media tonight. Pathetic. Folks don't want the Olympics tied up with party politics.

If any polititian can claim credit it should be the Prime Minister who won it and,whether you or i like it or not,that was Tony Blair.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosnikrapl wrote: »

Perhaps the Labour camp were as incensed as the OP when they saw Cameron trying to take all the credit so wanted to remind people it was them who sorted all this out?

I do think its a good debate because everything was mapped out for these games prior to Cameron taking office. So it is rather ironic for him to get all the glory.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosnikrapl

I didn't say he was quiet.

If any polititian can claim credit it should be the Prime Minister who won it and,whether you or i like it or not,that was Tony Blair.

... as opposed to the Prime Minister who actually saw it through to fruition.

Blair talked the talk. Cameron walked the walk.

Just like being at work when your boss says "Sure. We can do it, no problem." then hands it over to you to tear your hair out whilst actually getting it done.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe;
    ... as opposed to the Prime Minister who actually saw it through to fruition.

Blair talked the talk. Cameron walked the walk.

I think you got that round the wrong way.Walking the walk was winning it and organising it and that was done by Labour.Talking the talk is what Cameron does.

............Oh yeah and U-turning ofcourse.He does that quite well too.

Just like being at work when your boss says "Sure. We can do it, no problem." then hands it over to you to tear your hair out whilst actually getting it done.

I don't think Blair was given the option of staying on so i don't see how he can be blamed for that.
  • Options
    jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its the feel good factor, trust Cameron to try and jump on the bandwagon and try and take some credit for the magnificent Olympics that is happening.

Did anyone see Cameron and Johnson hugging each other at the Athletics last night.

Urgh Puke :eek:

Hope they brought their tickets - bet they were a freebie though.

I assume that even if they were free they'd have to bring them with them to get in.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe;

I think you got that round the wrong way.Walking the walk was winning it and organising it and that was done by Labour.Talking the talk is what Cameron does.

............Oh yeah and U-turning ofcourse.He does that quite well too.

Really? I would have said that the "talking" got us the gig and the "walking" pulled it off.
    I don't think Blair was given the option of staying on so i don't see how he can be blamed for that.

Indeed. Gordon Brown took over didn't he. Then Labour got replaced. ;)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the Labour camp were as incensed as the OP when they saw Cameron trying to take all the credit so wanted to remind people it was them who sorted all this out?

I do think its a good debate because everything was mapped out for these games prior to Cameron taking office. So it is rather ironic for him to get all the glory.

But it seems ok by some to blame him for our financial worries caused by the previous administration ! but we should praise them for the Olympics whilst ignoring the mess they caused.

Personally I think a lot of other people need the thanks for bringing us the games not a few politicians who supported the idea.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    The consevatives have committed more money to sport in the last 3 years than the Labour ever did.

What money?
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    The consevatives have committed more money to sport in the last 3 years than the Labour ever did.

At least we have a Prime Minister that can smile, more than Golden Brown ever did.

:D

I'll believe that when I see it

And how often or not Gordon Brown smiles is not relevant
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    But it seems ok by some to blame him for our financial worries caused by the previous administration ! but we should praise them for the Olympics whilst ignoring the mess they caused.

Personally I think a lot of other people need the thanks for bringing us the games not a few politicians who supported the idea.

BIB - Exactly these games are a success because of a lot of folks led by Seb Coe not a load of politicians. It's the flippin press in this country who turn everything that happens into a political issue & look to find dividing lines & create friction. If this happened less we might find ourselves all pulling together for the country.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    The Mc wrote: »
    Totally agree with you. I have been saying the same thing in other threads. New Labour get it superbly organised and built to schedule then along come the ConDems and it ends up in chaos just before the Games start
    Superb. And there was me thinking that LOCOG had organised the whole thing, with former Olympic Champion and one-time Tory minister Lord Coe at the helm. Well fancy that. Nu Labour sorted it all. Who'd have thought?

As for who won it, wasn't that widely recognised as a mix of Coe, Beckham, Princess Anne, some kids from East London and a whole load of others, some of whom may have been the outgoing party of Govt and newt fancier cum opportunist lefty Red Ken?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kellie B wrote: »
    I've been meaning to ask this all week. During an interview with Kay Burley a few days ago David said and I quote ''I am so thrilled to bring these games to London''

The Tories had nothing to do with London winning the bid. Tony Blair, Tessa Jowel, Seb Coe and Ken Livingston were the one's to worked hard to get them.

If the Tories had been in power back in 2005 they would never have even bid for the games as they are far too greedy so I find it disrespectful and dishonest of Davey boy to try and take the credit for what a Labour government did. Everything we are seeing now is the result of that Labour government. Sorry for the rant but it really pissed me off to see him do that just to try and be popular.

You're right, it was an absurd claim to make, and any person with even half a brain, would see straight through it.

He will try and cash in on the feelgood factor though. That's for sure.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour are arseholes for throwing our money into a bottomless pit for this, and the Tories are arseholes for trying to take the credit. They're both two cheeks of the same arse :)
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LORD COLE will take all the credit..
  • Options
    Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Labour supporter, to say that the Conservatives would be 'too selfish' to bid for an Olympics games were they in power is just nonsense. Was impressed with Cameron with his support for the doomed 2018 World Cup bid and when it comes to sporting matters I tend to brush my political allegiance aside.

As Prime Minister of this country I fully expect him to support the olympics coming to this country and it's sad if you think otherwise.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    I think that accusation could be aimed at several politicians of all parties.

They probably had the 'congratulations' text already typed out for their Twitter account and got some young trainee to insert the winner's name and press ENTER, within seconds of GB winning another Gold medal.

Perhaps....but none so more than Cameron himself. The annoying thing is that he is so brazen about it as well. But he sealed his moment in the annals of television interview gaffery, when he declared himself to be God, when he claimed credit for the good weather.:D
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is now way in hell London was getting the Olympic games under Labour, they even put an American in charge of the bid and were being laughed at by the IOC.

It was only when the conservative politician, Seb Coe, got on board that we won the games.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because thats what Tories do.Take credit for the success of others and blaim others for their parties failures.

And, of course, if the Olympics had gone badly Labour would have heaped criticism on the government.

Credit where credit is due, Blair, Jowell and Comrade Ken all did a great job in winning the bid but the current government and mayor have also done well in keeping everything on schedule and delivering the Games to the world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LORD COLE will take all the credit..

Who's he?