Options

A Thread For Anyone, Any Gigs, and A More General Discussion of Everything (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello everyone. Working and listening to Lewis Taylor's self-titled allbum. He's a really under recognised British neo-soul artist thats worth checking out for any neo-soul fans. If you don't know of him, you might remember Robbie Williams' Lovelight which is a Lewis Taylor cover.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music question. Do you guys prefer cohesive albums or do you not think it matters?

I don't mind as long as the songs are good (obviously) and as long as the jump between tracks isn't too big.

For me, I think the more cohesive albums stand out the most regardless of genre. You can't beat albums like say Stevie Wonder's Innervisions or Marvin Gaye's What's Goin' On in my opinion. Even something like Aaliyah's self-titled album, while not being as cohesive as the ones I mentioned above, is still a fairly cohesive and solid album which I think made it stand out from a lot of other R'n'B albums. I'd certainly be more inclined to listen to that album than a Destiny's Child or Beyonce album for example. Saying that, I do have albums where I skip a lot of tracks but love the songs that I listen to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love a great mix of albums, as long as they arent too "samey" and have something big to say...be it a cohesive album, a concept album or just an all out bombast record of different styles and sounds.

A bit like Waldstein mentions there....and i very much agree that albums that target themes and concepts really are the ones that stand the test of time and demand more repeat listen.

With Marvin gaye his albums Whats goin On, Lets get It On, I Want You and Here My Dear are sublime conceptualised albums that demand repeat listen. I love all Madonnas albums but Like A Prayer, Erotica, Ray Of Light, American Life and COnfessions On A Dance Floor are massive conceptualised blockbusters that through time, their power as albums really have grown....but The First Album, Like A Virgin and Music are very very cohesive albums.

Similar with Popstars that follow a "theme" or a sound direction with their albums....P!nk has her distinctive Pop Rock sound now which you either love or loathe tbh which means that her sound and albums are more cohesive in that angle, Britney when she talks about personal aspects make for more cohesive recordings (In The Zone, Blackout and Femme Fatale being her most cohesive recordings), etc etc

and contemporary albums like Janelle Monaes ArchAndroid, Robyns Body Talk Trilogy, Frank Ocean Channel Orange, Friendly Fires Pala, etc etc etc are definitions of really concise conceptualised albums that have a flow and remain through time grow repeat listens.

So yeah i am impartial :D
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    What is this 'cohesive' and 'concept' all about? I just wanna hear good music.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music question. Do you guys prefer cohesive albums or do you not think it matters?

I don't mind as long as the songs are good (obviously) and as long as the jump between tracks isn't too big.

It's a difficult question as it depends on certain factors you can have an album of hodge podge sounds and ideas that works well with a lack of cohesion recent example Lungs and then albums with too much cohesion can often be to solid and dare i say stodgy i.e Ceremonials though it is still great so really if the balance between cohesion and spontaneity is there an album goes from being just good to great.

So for me i like a little cohesion and a few sharp turns and surprises :)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,007
    Forum Member
    Aww that's awful :( Sorry to hear that. A girl in my school died in 2005. She was in the year above mine and although I didn't know her the whole school was rather upset by it. We had a special school mass for her (and our vice principal who also died around the same time) and I remember crying at the end of the mass. We planted a tree in memory of her and our vice principal.

The tickets for Kasabian? Brilliant :D

Sorry to hear that. It's horrible when anyone dies but particularly if they are young :(

And yes...got my Kasabian tickets! :D
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chilling to Kylie at the moment
    I really can't warm to her early stuff. Her career for me really began from Light Years onwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chilling to Kylie at the moment
    I really can't warm to her early stuff. Her career for me really began from Light Years onwards.

For me its Rhythm Of Love onwards she asserted her control and would continue to so i liked her first two albums if a bit twee and very 80's bubblegum pop but some classics there i especially love 1994 onwards soft R&B and house through to trip hop and indie there would be no Light Years without either of those two in some aspects i respect and prefer Kylie's reinventions to Madonna's as she always learns something new and brings it to the next album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Afternoon.

Still angry about the fact that Vicky Pendleton was cheated out of the Gold medal... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Afternoon.

Still angry about the fact that Vicky Pendleton was cheated out of the Gold medal... :(

How so ?

I know she has won one gold but she was almost certainly guaranteed the other two too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    How so ?

I know she has won one gold but she was almost certainly guaranteed the other two too.

Did you see her final race? She was elbowed by the other competitor. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you see her final race? She was elbowed by the other competitor. :(

I did not.

And if that is the case surely it should be investigated and the other competitor disqualified :mad:

Did she still get on the podium though ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It looks like I'm about to be dragged out for a run.

Speak to you all in a bit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me its Rhythm Of Love onwards she asserted her control and would continue to so i liked her first two albums if a bit twee and very 80's bubblegum pop but some classics there i especially love 1994 onwards soft R&B and house through to trip hop and indie there would be no Light Years without either of those two in some aspects i respect and prefer Kylie's reinventions to Madonna's as she always learns something new and brings it to the next album.

Hmm interesting

I always find a lack of progression in Kylie's albums compared to Madonna. Kylie's music a bit too safe for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Back from my run. I beat my brother home :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm listening to the new song by Mumford & Sons

I'm a big fan of them, I've pre-ordered their follow up album to Sigh No More. :) I love their sound.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What is this 'cohesive' and 'concept' all about? I just wanna hear good music.

I don't understand it either. When I buy an album I'm mostly interested in the music on it.
    Sorry to hear that. It's horrible when anyone dies but particularly if they are young :(

And yes...got my Kasabian tickets! :D

I was 15 when she died and she was probably around the same age (15/16). She was about to do her Junior Cert exams. I think I had been away over the Easter holidays that year and she died over the hols but I only heard once I returned back to Ireland. The atmosphere in school was really subdued. I remember crying at the end of the special mass and a teacher noticed and she comforted me. I then went home and spent most of the evening on the computer. I was in a good mood after being on the computer :D I think I played games on it.

Glad you got your Kasabian tickets! When is the gig?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was 15 when she died and she was probably around the same age (15/16). She was about to do her Junior Cert exams. I think I had been away over the Easter holidays that year and she died over the hols but I only heard once I returned back to Ireland. The atmosphere in school was really subdued. I remember crying at the end of the special mass and a teacher noticed and she comforted me. I then went home and spent most of the evening on the computer. I was in a good mood after being on the computer :D I think I played games on it.

Glad you got your Kasabian tickets! When is the gig?

Such a young age to die :( My friend was 15 too (the girl who committed suicide).

RE: tickets - Monday 20th August at Brixton! Not even 2 weeks away :)

Anyway, I have to hand my laptop over to a family member now so I'll say goodnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Such a young age to die :( My friend was 15 too (the girl who committed suicide).

RE: tickets - Monday 20th August at Brixton! Not even 2 weeks away :)

Anyway, I have to hand my laptop over to a family member now so I'll say goodnight.

I was really shocked at the time. I don't know what she died from but it could have been a heart attack or something. She was really sporty and played hockey and everything. Our vice-principal (who also died around the same time) was probably well past retirement age so that wasn't as much of a shock but it was still really sad. The teacher who comforted me at the school mass was my maths teacher and she became vice principal. She was an excellent teacher.

Anyway enjoy the gig :D I always hate it when someone else has to use the computer. Thankfully we all have our own laptops and I have two Macbooks which nobody else in my family knows how to use :D I'm the only Mac user in the family but my dad has an iPad, which I refer to as a "glowing tray". Only thing it's good for is a bit of surfing and Angry Birds :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why are we on page 2 again? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning all.

I shamelessly listening to my guilty pleasure album Celine Dion- Falling Into You say what you will but its a damn good album :D

Whats everyone else up to ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning everyone

Finished my run now I'm just hoping the weather's going to be better for later. I'm going to a BBQ at a friend's house. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning everyone

Finished my run now I'm just hoping the weather's going to be better for later. I'm going to a BBQ at a friend's house. :)

Well done how far did you run ?

And apparently we are supposedly getting a heatwave time will tell as its currently grey in S.Wales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning all.

I shamelessly listening to my guilty pleasure album Celine Dion- Falling Into You say what you will but its a damn good album :D

Whats everyone else up to ?

I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure at all
    It's a great Pop album. One of my all time favs

It's up there with Mariah's Music Box and Madonna's True Blue for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't call it a guilty pleasure at all
    It's a great Pop album. One of my all time favs

It's up there with Mariah's Music Box and Madonna's True Blue for me.

It's probably the only Celine album i can listen to all the way through and as for Mariah it has to be Daydream and Butterfly i love a bit of wailing from a big time diva (and i doon't mean Elton) :D
This discussion has been closed.