Options

The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• Options
    augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    bblover wrote: »
    I love the X-Factor:oWill be looking forward to watching it again:D

John has gone MIA yet again,he's like a spy lol:p

Old pics,thanks to Cheeky:)

6pbvvn.jpg

that is a lovely pic...and i love the idea of JOhn being a spy.....:D:p:D

morning all....

taking younger daughter back to uni again this morning....she has a placement that starts next week..

its either really quiet here...when im by myself, or there is a houseful of almost 6 of us...just as im getting used to it again...it all changes....:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kfb wrote: »
    :D:p:D HAPPY BIRTHDAY LENA :D:p:D

I hope you have a great day with your family :)

can i join in the best wishes...and hope your kitchen sagas are all sorted....

have a lovely day today Lena....xxx
  • Options
    georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    :D Throws Confetti :D

Happy Birthday Lena :D
    best wishes :D
    hope you have a wonderful day :D
  • Options
    ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy Birthday Lena.Have a wonderful day:)
  • Options
    ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Lena xx:)
  • Options
    Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello to all my fellow JJaters, hope you're all having good weather. :)
    Beautiful weather first thing and then it changed to a thick sea mist, but hurray the sun's burned it off and it's lovely again. :)
    So I've made it to the grand age of 5 cough cough.;)
    Thanks to nyannie, bblover, kfb, Augusta, georgy, ucra and Elle May for all your lovely birthday wishes. :)

I've had some lovely cards, pressies and text messages.
    I have had a little 'senior' moment.:o
    Opened a little box today from a lovely friend to find a beautiful purple cupcake inside. A little flake of frosting fell out so I popped it in my mouth (without thinking) and thought goodness that has an unusual taste. When I read the side of the box, it's a bath bomb!!!:o:eek:

Note to self - PUT YOUR SPECS ON!!!!:o:D:p
  • Options
    GiddykipperGiddykipper Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    :)Love those bath bomb flavoured cup cakes - but I couldn't eat a whole one...:eek:

Have a very Happy Birthday Lena :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plumbing saga continues, by the way.:eek:

Plumber came back mid Tuesday afternoon to correct his mistake, so lost most of the day.:mad:

On the upside, the fish and chips were absolutely delicious.

Yesterday we discovered the oven housing can't accomodate my double oven by 8cm! :eek: So son and OH are now on plan B, which means plumber is now coming back tomorrow morning to reconnect all the services.

Full marks to our local pizza place for the delicious (large):o Hawaiian Pizza last night.

Just consulting the list of takeaways for tonight's meal. :cool:

While I could get used to this not cooking lark,:D the washing is piling up (nearly out of smalls):o and washing up in a bowl on the landing is beginning to really get on my nerves.:(

I've also realised I'm married to the 'Admirable Crichton' who seems to crack out every piece of crockery and cutlery we own at the drop of a hat. Clean mug for every brew (and he brews a lot), plate for biscuits, plate for toast, teaspoon for tea, another for coffee. Glass for water another for squash. If we had doillies I'd swear he'd use them. I'm surprised we're not on full silver service and the Royal Doulton with the hand painted periwinkles!!!!:D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)Love those bath bomb flavoured cup cakes - but I couldn't eat a whole one...:eek:

Have a very Happy Birthday Lena :D:D:D

Thanks Giddy. :)
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    The plumbing saga continues, by the way.:eek:

Plumber came back mid Tuesday afternoon to correct his mistake, so lost most of the day.:mad:

On the upside, the fish and chips were absolutely delicious.

Yesterday we discovered the oven housing can't accomodate my double oven by 8cm! :eek: So son and OH are now on plan B, which means plumber is now coming back tomorrow morning to reconnect all the services.

Full marks to our local pizza place for the delicious (large):o Hawaiian Pizza last night.

Just consulting the list of takeaways for tonight's meal. :cool:

While I could get used to this not cooking lark,:D the washing is piling up (nearly out of smalls):o and washing up in a bowl on the landing is beginning to really get on my nerves.:(

I've also realised I'm married to the 'Admirable Crichton' who seems to crack out every piece of crockery and cutlery we own at the drop of a hat. Clean mug for every brew (and he brews a lot), plate for biscuits, plate for toast, teaspoon for tea, another for coffee. Glass for water another for squash. If we had doillies I'd swear he'd use them. I'm surprised we're not on full silver service and the Royal Doulton with the hand painted periwinkles!!!!:D:p

Hope you are having a lovely day Lena.

So sorry to hear that the plumbing saga continues. Could there possibly be TWO Admiral Crightons? Last night we had an omelette and I washed two pans, four plates, two soup bowls, eight glasses (do not ask. . ) and most of our cutlery. In addition, his lordship complained that coffee mug was 'used'!!!! I am not going to tell you what I said.

Enjoy the rest of your day . Let's hope you go out tonight so you don't have to do any washing.

Lots of love

Axx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Hope you are having a lovely day Lena.

So sorry to hear that the plumbing saga continues. Could there possibly be TWO Admiral Crightons? Last night we had an omelette and I washed two pans, four plates, two soup bowls, eight glasses (do not ask. . ) and most of our cutlery. In addition, his lordship complained that coffee mug was 'used'!!!! I am not going to tell you what I said.

Enjoy the rest of your day . Let's hope you go out tonight so you don't have to do any washing.

Lots of love

Axx

I think thats one of the reasons I enjoy eating out....no washing up !!!!

So thats daughter no 2 safely delivered back to Stratford.....neatly avoiding all the traffic wardens as i parked in a residents only bay...

Her road seemed really quiet...hardly any cars or traffic......then as we drove out in search of supplies...from Asda at Leyton, I realised her road backed onto the olympic park....and was quiet cos most of the surrounding roads had been closed...!!!

It was a beautiful sunny day and the atmosphere was lovely.....but no parking anywhere nearby...so I couldnt get out and sample the atmosphere...but had to virtually take her there and come straight back...

they have changed the priority on all the traffic lights ...so it took ages to get into london...with a red light at every junction...but it was green all the way home....!!!

now I can sit down and enjoy watching on tv....:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    I think thats one of the reasons I enjoy eating out....no washing up !!!!

So thats daughter no 2 safely delivered back to Stratford.....neatly avoiding all the traffic wardens as i parked in a residents only bay...

Her road seemed really quiet...hardly any cars or traffic......then as we drove out in search of supplies...from Asda at Leyton, I realised her road backed onto the olympic park....and was quiet cos most of the surrounding roads had been closed...!!!

It was a beautiful sunny day and the atmosphere was lovely.....but no parking anywhere nearby...so I couldnt get out and sample the atmosphere...but had to virtually take her there and come straight back...

they have changed the priority on all the traffic lights ...so it took ages to get into london...with a red light at every junction...bu
    t it was green all the way home....!!!

now I can sit down and enjoy watching on tv....:D

Morning all.

Bet you are relieved you got your daughter sorted out safe and sound augusta. It is so frustrating when the traffic is very slow.

Hope you had a lovely day yesterday Lena and your plumbing problems get sorted VERY SOON!

I was in London yesterday and amazed that we could go down Park Lane while swimming marathon was on. There was such a lovely buzz around the place and the banners and Union Jacks really create a great atmosphere.

When I got back I watched dressage, boxing and tae kwando. Never ever watch it normally but it was terrific - and THREE gold medals for Team GB. What on earth will we do when the Olympics are over?

Been up since 5.30 doing ironing - yuch! Hope to be back later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Bet you are relieved you got your daughter sorted out safe and sound augusta. It is so frustrating when the traffic is very slow.

Hope you had a lovely day yesterday Lena and your plumbing problems get sorted VERY SOON!

I was in London yesterday and amazed that we could go down Park Lane while swimming marathon was on. There was such a lovely buzz around the place and the banners and Union Jacks really create a great atmosphere.

When I got back I watched dressage, boxing and tae kwando. Never ever watch it normally but it was terrific - and THREE gold medals for Team GB. What on earth will we do when the Olympics are over?

glad to hear you had a lovely day....and that the atmosphere in london was amazing........

ive no idea what we will do after the olympics...weve got the paralympics in a couple of weeks to let us down slowly......isnt the closing ceremony on monday?

still no news from john? :(

i do wonder where on earth he is....logically he would have returned to oz....but why not tell us?????:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    message to lurkers....please come and join in ...if there is anything you see that interests you or you just want to chat.....

its nice to talk to everyone....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    which brings me to my next message.....

nyannie thank you so much for all the questions for the book club......im really looking forwards to the next one!!!

what are we going to do? and when....?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Morning everyone, lovely and sunny not a cloud in the sky. :)

Ssshhhh......the plumber's HERE!!:D
    Taps are on, pipes are being joined, the hob's about to be connected and..... I will have my washing machine back by midday, yippee!
    Blimey, the highlight of my day. How sad is that?:o:D:p

May not have the oven back today, but that's down to OH and son when they've fiddled about with brackets (they've discarded the housing unit as it just too small for the double oven), still I can cook on the hob. :)

I'm not a fan of London (was born and lived there for quite a while) but watching the long distance swimming yesterday I have to say it looked spectacular. Also saw Greg Ruthford's visit to The Shard, amazing views.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19201734

I think the games have been a rip roaring success, so pleased we proved the sceptics wrong.
    glad to hear you had a lovely day....and that the atmosphere in london was amazing........

ive no idea what we will do after the olympics...weve got the paralympics in a couple of weeks to let us down slowly......isnt the closing ceremony on monday?

still no news from john? :(

i do wonder where on earth he is....logically he would have returned to oz....but why not tell us?????:confused:

Hi augusta, pleased your daughter is safely back in her flat.

The closing ceremony is 9pm Sunday evening. Must admit I shall feel a little sad when it's all over.
    What a fantastic games team GB have had. Forgotten how much I enjoyed watching the athletic's and swimming.

How amazing was David Rudisha's 800m last night. A new world record and such a humble young man, actually enjoyed that more than Bolt's 200m. :)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19203020

Still all quiet from John, would have thought he would at least have said he was home if he'd got back to Oz.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    we will feel a bit like we used to after BB, when the olympics are over.......

its the same time of year...when a lot of people are on holiday and things have slowed down a bit....

I am so so impressed with these olympics....and the hard work and dedication shown by all the olympic athletes....they could be a good set of role models.....
  • Options
    bbloverbblover Posts: 41,663
    Forum Member
    I am so so impressed with these olympics....and the hard work and dedication shown by all the olympic athletes....they could be a good set of role models.....

Ditto:)

Now where that role model poll?:p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    have you seen all of Jonno's daily tips on twitter?

Jonno_G‏@Jonno__G

Jonnos daily tip.It's all good and proper to work hard for the things u want.But sit back and take all uv accomplished in occasionally!

he is becoming a philosopher in his old age...:D:p:D
  • Options
    bbloverbblover Posts: 41,663
    Forum Member
    have you seen all of Jonno's daily tips on twitter?

Jonno_G‏@Jonno__G

Jonnos daily tip.It's all good and proper to work hard for the things u want.But sit back and take all uv accomplished in occasionally!

he is becoming a philosopher in his old age...:D:p:D

Lol someone is high on the lord!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all

See there is no news from John. He has gone MIA- wonder where he is. You would think he'd let us know.

I am pooped. Really hot and tired - not much sleep last night and we are going out today for lunch.

Has everything now been sorted Lena? Hope you get caught up with washing etc.

Just a reminder to PM me with suggestions for the next book we read. Only have one suggestion from someone else.

Anyway, paper has just arrived so best make the morning coffees and teas.

John - if you are out there, please let us know you are safe and sound!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    second the request to let us know if JOhn is safe and sound...

maybe he has been glued to the olympics as well???
  • Options
    georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Good Morning jjat

hope you are all well
    the olympics have been great
    and with the sunny weather
    has made me very busy :D

i see no news from john
    he just vanished
    perhaps he is working on a new career
    as a magician :p

ps Lindy did you see the Liverpool match 4-0 ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We wen to see the Batman film last night , I was really looking forward to it, but ended up feeling faintly disappointed.......

its a very good film, very clever, although im not sure i really followed all the twists and turns in the story.. But there were 2 things that disapointed me...

So i thought id put it out as a discussion topic????

First of all, I loved the Marvel comics especially Batman and spiderman as a kid, and i loved the idea of a hero or superhero, someone who was maybe larger than life, but a perfect heroic speciman, someone I could like and identify as a goodie....someone who was good, and kind and always made the right choices.

but in this film, The Dark Knight rises, Batman isnt a heroic figure, he is a tragic character, very sad and full of flaws. Which gives me a probelm....why have the central figure as a tragic one in a story about a superhero? If you want to make a film about a tragic figure do that, and dont try and make it about the superhero comic figure Batman.Surely the different characters contradict each other?:confused:

my other problem is the other actors in the Play....some of whom have been my favourite characters in other things they have done. So Im ending up liking the baddies....and wanting them to succeed because I prefer the actors ..... And because there were so many English actors in it, it also ended up with me doing a spot the actor game....:eek:.

I liked the character of Catwoman, she was perfect. I could even forget the other roles she has played...cos that character was so well defined.... So there are times, when I dont always identify the actor or actress with their previous roles...and Anne Hathaway has been a constant presence in our lives from the Princess Diaries onwards....

But what happened to Tom Hardy?.......even his body as Bane was wrong....there can be no way he looks like that,,,,,,,he isnt or wasnt built like a bodybuilder before, he was always ultra skinny and the sensitive type...maybe im confusing him with the part he played as Heathcliffe? ok his voice was recognisable, by me, my daughter thought it had been dubbed by Patrick Stewart.... maybe he has bulked up....but.....why take a well known and popular English actor and do that to him....:(..:mad: You have an incredibly talented actor, capable of a wide range of emotion and acting ability...and use him as an expressionless thug.??? The mask on his face, and the role itself, gave him no ability to act at all.:(

My favourite character from Torchwood was there, Burn something or other, playing a baddy...so i kept expecting an alien to appear....and again im used to him playing a good part...., so to see him as a baddie was odd.

Joseph Gordon Levitt was there as well....and i remember him from' Third rock from the sun', or' Inception', so I still kept expecting aliens to arrive any minute, or something extremely odd to happen, but he was one of the most down to earth characters there... But i spose he at least was playing a sympathetic and likeable character...

Commissioner Gordon was brilliant, but this time round i kept seeing him as Smiley, from Tinker Taylor.....or even as Sirius, so kept expecting a character from Harry Potter to pop in...especially when all the lights kept going out....

Same with Liam Neeson, who was just reprising and playing his character out of Star wars......

and then of course there was the cameo role of Cillian Murphy......who after he appeared...had me confused and trying to identify who he was. ok he does have a chameleon character and appears as a wide range of different characters, but he has a very distinctive and recognisable appearance....even on top of a stack of boxes....

I wonder if the problem is that the USA cast english actors without realising in the UK, those actors are already well known in a particular role....

so unless the acting and role is really good.....you can get fed up of seeing one of your favourite actors portrayed like that....??

What does anyone else think???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen this long post about The Dark Knight Rises. Not sure if the JJAT mind the thread being taken up with this discussion.

Superheroes having flaws or being tragic figures:
    Isn't this what draws people to them? Not that they are superheroes but that they do have flaws or have great tragedies in their lives to overcome? Personally I've preferred the more modern approach to representation of Superman, Batman and all the rest rather than the super duper films of the mid 1900s which were full of fun.

I also read the comics as a child. I can't remember whether they went into the deeper darker side but for me the current Batman series has been the only one of that ilk that I've really felt were good films in their own right. Actually, I think the first one was the best. Suddenly Batman turned from being a kind of 'comic' hero (in both senses) to being a 'tragic' hero having to overcome so much, including his own dark character. This part of the trilogy was too full of wondrous special effects for my liking. But I loved the ending!

Christian Bale definitely my number one to play Christian Grey - I think he could make the film into a really good exploration of character rather than a Mills and Boone with kinky sex.

As for all your comments about other actors, I totally agree. And Cillian Murphy - I didn't even spot him! :eek: Except that it's the actor's choice to do these films. Presumably for the money which may then enable them to do more independent films.
    I enjoyed Anne Hathaway in that role. Bet she did too! Very different from what she usually does.
This discussion has been closed.