Options

Peter Kay Channel 4 16 August 2012

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi folks,

Who else is watching this "Show that didn't tour tour"? How much of his material is he going to reheat?

Comments

• Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched for ten minutes, didn't laugh once and so have turned over.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's warming up now. Laughing now. Liked the 'Imperial Leather for Xmas'......'...just a sticker'.

I remember baths of Vosene & Imperial Leather.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talk about a 1 trick pony, fine if you like endless nostalgia I guess.
  • Options
    MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    hi folks,

Who else is watching this "Show that didn't tour tour"? How much of his material is he going to reheat?

None of it's reheated. It's his Christmas dvd from last year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »

He's a stand up comedian. What do you want him to do? Juggle, sing, circus acts?
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is great at admitting to the same inanity of life many experience and conveys it perfectly to leave us laughing at ourselves .
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    There are lots of references to previous routines with phone holsters, garlic bread, fine rain etc but still very funny.

Where are his Mum and Nan?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    He's a stand up comedian. What do you want him to do? ..................

How about being funny, for a start? I've heard so much about how brilliant this bloke is, but I've never seen him, so I recorded it. I've got as far as the first break, and he hasn't been funny once, so far as I can see.

However, I'll watch as much as I can stand, to see if he gets better.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reminded me how shit he is.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're not already a fan, you won't like this show ! :D
    I AM a fan, and I love this ! :D
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was lucky to see this on live last year and I was great to be there. I've loved him for years and I'm so glad I got to see him live. Just as funny as I remembered!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it. My only complaint was the camera team's obsession with clips of the audience saying "I/you/we/they do do that!" to each other.
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's great! I have loved him for years as well. He's just so funny!
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His observations about Sky + were amusing 'why have you go so many Scrapheap challenges on there?'
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    His observations about Sky + were amusing 'why have you go so many Scrapheap challenges on there?'

Yeah, and Michael Jackson's funeral...'I've not watched it yet' - *delete* :p

It's a really funny show imo. I suppose if you've never lived a normal family life you wouldn't find a lot of the stuff funny cause that's what it's all about!
  • Options
    jj-minjj-min Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Shatterproof rulers? Woz that all about?

Haven't laughed so much in ages, thanks PK :D
  • Options
    bidleybipbidleybip Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Watched it tonight even thou I own the Blu-Ray of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    How about being funny, for a start? I've heard so much about how brilliant this bloke is, but I've never seen him, so I recorded it. I've got as far as the first break, and he hasn't been funny once, so far as I can see.

Wow. I'd love to know which comedians you like
  • Options
    Liam_MainLiam_Main Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bit with the cassette tape at the end was hilarious!

Could anyone link me to the songs?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,032
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »

Most popular comedian in the UK by some distance, seems a lot of people find him funny.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »

I take it you've never watched him then?

It was a poor ish warm-up, but then it got really, really good.
    Even my miserable husband is now a big fan.

He sings, dances, tells jokes, funny stories, acts and writes his own material what more do you want iamsofired?
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedy is so personal.

But all the comics who end up on TV have my respect.

Has anyone actually tried to write 1 minute's worth of material that would make anyone laugh?

Someone like Kay, as stated above, does a vast array of stuff and above all else, he writes it himself.

As a Londoner living in Oldham, not far from where he is from, I think he taps into the NW and Greater Manchester culture brilliantly. How many times, when the cameras showed the audience, were people pointing at others as if to say, 'that's you'?

Personally, I thought it was brilliant but each to their own.
  • Options
    latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed it, I don't have Sky+ but have heard enough people talking about it to get the gist, and the "Blu-Ray" bit I thought was great
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    Wow. I'd love to know which comedians you like

A lot of them, but I won't list them because I think you're just being polite. :)
    Most popular comedian in the UK by some distance, seems a lot of people find him funny.

That's life; we can't all enjoy the same things. I did find some of his jokes mildly amusing, but not laugh out loud hilarious. I also noticed that, while the part of the audience the camera was on were rolling around, laughing hysterically, those on the periphery of the screen (if that's the right word) weren't displaying the same level of enthusiasm.
  • Options
    BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him live a few years back, just as he was starting to break big and he was absolutely fantastic. I think its because he tells stories that most regular people can relate to and he comes over as a decent bloke, with a regular background. I do think in this country, when someone is on the way up, we all support them and when they are big, we knock them down. Its been the same with Michael McIntyre, very similar with his humour and again, brilliant live but people knock him as well.

I love this style of humour....along with people such as John Bishop and Lee Evans...and then the likes of Mickey Flanagan, Milton Jones....Al Murray is a different style but still great live. All these guys have tons of talent, to be able to stand alone on a stage in front of thousands and make them laugh is no easy task.