Options

Jo Joyner's break from Eastenders will only be six months

STACEYFISHERSTACEYFISHER Posts: 155
Forum Member
Jo Joyner's break from Eastenders will now be six months only instead of the full year that was planned. I've just read an interview with Jo saying this so its true. :) Good to know she is committed to returning.

Comments

• Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but can Tanya seriously come back and reunite with Max yet again?

I am a Tanya fan so looking forward to her returning
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically it isn't a break - Jo isn't renewing her contract. She is in effect leaving the show. It's up to the producers when she comes back, if ever.

They said Sharon would return after 'a short break' from the show in 2006. She came back six and a half years later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    Technically it isn't a break - Jo isn't renewing her contract. She is in effect leaving the show. It's up to the producers when she comes back, if ever.

They said Sharon would return after 'a short break' from the show in 2006. She came back six and a half years later.

Not sure what point it is you are trying to make? Jo has herself said the break will be for 6 months which indicates that her return is already planned. EastEnders map out storylines anything up to a year ahead. If Jo says her break is for 6 months then that is what Lorraine Newman has granted her.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why do some people insist that Jo is leaving- she is not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what point it is you are trying to make? Jo has herself said the break will be for 6 months which indicates that her return is already planned. EastEnders map out storylines anything up to a year ahead. If Jo says her break is for 6 months then that is what Lorraine Newman has granted her.

My point is that she hasn't been granted a 'break' - her contract hasn't been renewed. She is effectively leaving the show. She might come back in 6 months, or the producers might decide otherwise. She's out of contract, it's not really up to her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My point is that she hasn't been granted a 'break' - her contract hasn't been renewed. She is effectively leaving the show.

She is going on a six month break. Jo says she will be back at the end of it. EastEnders plan, write and produce storylines much further in advance than 6 months. 6 months is like 5 minutes in production time. To suggest Jo is leaving the show is silly of you. Jo herself has said several times now she isn't.

She is going off for 6 months. Her return like Bianca's will have already been planned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is going on a six month break. Jo says she will be back at the end of it. EastEnders plan, write and produce storylines much further in advance than 6 months. 6 months is like 5 minutes in production time. To suggest Jo is leaving the show is silly of you. Jo herself has said several times now she isn't.

I understand this, but technically speaking she IS leaving if her contract hasn't been renewed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member

The point being made is that if she's not under contract anything can happen. Maybe Newman bombs in the next few months and gets replaced; maybe the new producer is going for uber realism and doesn't think a Tanya return fits that; maybe something happens and max leaves/gets axed so no point bringing Tanya back. Maybe Joyner likes being a mum so much she changes her mind and doesn't come back.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tanya is becoming an over-rated character IMO, it's Max who carries the Branning family for the most part and Cora offers something different too.

I like Jo Joyner but the show doesn't need her like it used too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I understand this, but technically speaking she IS leaving if her contract hasn't been renewed.

I'm sorry but how do you know her contract hasn't been renewed?

Do you have inside contacts at Eastenders? No you don't.

Jo says she will be back in 6 months, Lorraine Newman must have signed this off so some sort of contract must be in place for Jo's return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Filiman wrote: »
    The point being made is that if she's not under contract anything can happen. Maybe Newman bombs in the next few months and gets replaced; maybe the new producer is going for uber realism and doesn't think a Tanya return fits that; maybe something happens and max leaves/gets axed so no point bringing Tanya back. Maybe Joyner likes being a mum so much she changes her mind and doesn't come back.

Jo WILL be under contract. You see as Jo herself has said the break is for 6 months this means her return to the show will already be planned. So Jo will have signed a deal saying she will be back on set at a certain time and date.

Eastenders plan so far ahead. Letitia Dean for example knew she was returning to Eastenders last summer but it wasnt announced she had signed a new contract until January. She didn't start filming until June. SIX MONTHS later.

Understand now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but how do you know her contract hasn't been renewed?

Do you have inside contacts at Eastenders? No you don't.

Jo says she will be back in 6 months, Lorraine Newman must have signed this off so some sort of contract must be in place for Jo's return.

How do YOU know that? Inside knowledge at EastEnders? :rolleyes:

There was no need to be patronising. I was simply stating that Jo is technically leaving the show, even if she does come back in 6 months.

It says in this article that Jo is leaving at the end of her current contract. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a379257/eastenders-jo-joyner-to-take-break-from-soap-in-2013.html
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 57,025
    Forum Member

I think she will be back the same was said for the others - June, Charlie B, lindsay etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I like Tanya, but where can they take her now..With Max again, on and off, it gets boring..We want some new stuff from her
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I think she will be back, however at this point I don't really care whether she does or not. I'm a fan of Jo Joyner, but it's just a shame she has been wasted on such a sham of a character. She has not developed WHATSOEVER since 2008, when she behaved appallingly for pretty much the whole year and turned Max the bastard into the victim of the piece (although I THINK we were supposed to be on her side).

The whole point of the cancer storyline seemed, sadly, as a way to make her sympathetic again after how massively horrid she became since the actress returned from her maternity leave. That in itself is bad enough, but since she got better they've pretty much negated that by turning her into a hypocritical, inconsistent bitter cow again.

Max is a far more interesting character away from her anyway, and I think he and Cora have a good dynamic with or without Tanya. It would be interesting to see that family unit, with her as the ex-mother-in-law he can't shake off; a bit like the Mo and Charlie dynamic but more intense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    I think she will be back, however at this point I don't really care whether she does or not. I'm a fan of Jo Joyner, but it's just a shame she has been wasted on such a sham of a character. She has not developed WHATSOEVER since 2008, when she behaved appallingly for pretty much the whole year and turned Max the bastard into the victim of the piece (although I THINK we were supposed to be on her side).

The whole point of the cancer storyline seemed, sadly, as a way to make her sympathetic again after how massively horrid she became since the actress returned from her maternity leave. That in itself is bad enough, but since she got better they've pretty much negated that by turning her into a hypocritical, inconsistent bitter cow again.

Max is a far more interesting character away from her anyway, and I think he and Cora have a good dynamic with or without Tanya. It would be interesting to see that family unit, with her as the ex-mother-in-law he can't shake off; a bit like the Mo and Charlie dynamic but more intense.

Completely agree with this, especially the last paragraph. Max became a much more interesting character after Tanya left in 2009; I really liked his relationship with Vanessa too. It's a shame the producers didn't have the courage to develop Max and Tanya in their own right, away from each other, and went down the predictable route of putting them back together. Vanessa's days were numbered as soon as that happened, such a huge waste. Max (by far the best of the Branning family) is actually held back by Tanya. They need to separate for good.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tanya back but they have to do something different with her; her entire life revolve around which man she is with (usually Max). As you said, the character hasn't progressed or developed at all since the aftermath of Stax.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo Joyner is in effect leaving the show.

She is not 'taking a break' - there as been no contractual reference to this - e.g, when Steve McFadden took a sabbitical in 2003. There has been NO reference whatesoever to Jo Joyner taking a sabbitical. None whatesoever. As such she is not just ''taking a break''. She has chosen to not renew her contract and is therefore leaving the show. Jo Joyner may, after six months intend to want to go back to show. But it's not up to her. It's up Lorraine Newman (or whoever is EP at the time), whether Jo Joyner gets a new one-year contract. Jo Joyner may well return. Or she might not.

Letitia's situation is completely different to Jo Joyner's. First, the TPTB apporached her about returning - Jo Joyner in this case has decided to not renew her current contract. By the time she is finished fliming her last scenes on EastEnders, she will not have a contract of employment with the BBC regarding EastEnders. Even though TPTB wanted Letitia to return, in the end it was up to Letitia if she wanted to return and she would only formally be employed by the BBC as soon as she signed a contract of a year's employment with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jo Joyner is in effect leaving the show.

She is not 'taking a break' - there as been no contractual reference to this - e.g, when Steve McFadden took a sabbitical in 2003. There has been NO reference whatesoever to Jo Joyner taking a sabbitical. None whatesoever. As such she is not just ''taking a break''. She has chosen to not renew her contract and is therefore leaving the show. Jo Joyner may, after six months intend to want to go back to show. But it's not up to her. It's up Lorraine Newman (or whoever is EP at the time), whether Jo Joyner gets a new one-year contract. Jo Joyner may well return. Or she might not.

Letitia's situation is completely different to Jo Joyner's. First, the TPTB apporached her about returning - Jo Joyner in this case has decided to not renew her current contract. By the time she is finished fliming her last scenes on EastEnders, she will not have a contract of employment with the BBC regarding EastEnders. Even though TPTB wanted Letitia to return, in the end it was up to Letitia if she wanted to return and she would only formally be employed by the BBC as soon as she signed a contract of a year's employment with them.

Exactly. I wonder how old some people are who post on here as they clearly have no understanding of what a contract is, and what it does and doesn't do.
  • Options
    LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reference I can find about Jo's contract is in The Daily Star (that bastion of quality journalism) where it says she will be leaving at the end of her current contract. That doesn't mean anything by the time Jo leaves she may already have a new contract drawn up/signed for a future return.

I think I'll take Jo's word over the Daily Star if it's all the same. I doubt she would be so convinced she'll be returning if that isn't the case. Anyway regardless of contracts if Jo wants to return I'm sure they will have her back in a heartbeat. Tanya is one of the show's most popular characters and has been central to its reinvention over the past six years. She also has a place on the square with her daughters being there and the Brannings are clearly producer favourites.

It was different with Letitia as she never said she was returning. The show said Letitia would be back, I don't think Letitia herself had any intention of returning, in fact she apparently quit the show in 2004 but was tempted back to wrap up the Den story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Filiman wrote: »
    Exactly. I wonder how old some people are who post on here as they clearly have no understanding of what a contract is, and what it does and doesn't do.

Jo has said she is leaving for 6 months. She wanted a year but her bosses gave her 6 instead.

Eastenders plan very far in advance. So if Jo finishes filming in December she would be due back filming in May. Storylines for next summer for example will be mapped out around Tanya's return. Therefore an agreement will have been made and signed confirming to her bosses that Jo was going to return. Jo cannot just decide to return when she wants. It has to be planned and written. Its been planned at 6 months!!

How hard is that to understand? if Jo was leaving for a year then perhaps people would have a point. 6 months however makes it completely different.

Jo has also confirmed she is returning. There is nothing more to discuss here.
  • Options
    FallingPianoFallingPiano Posts: 962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lousiana wrote: »
    The only reference I can find about Jo's contract is in The Daily Star (that bastion of quality journalism) where it says she will be leaving at the end of her current contract. That doesn't mean anything by the time Jo leaves she may already have a new contract drawn up/signed for a future return.

I think I'll take Jo's word over the Daily Star if it's all the same. I doubt she would be so convinced she'll be returning if that isn't the case. Anyway regardless of contracts if Jo wants to return I'm sure they will have her back in a heartbeat. Tanya is one of the show's most popular characters and has been central to its reinvention over the past six years. She also has a place on the square with her daughters being there and the Brannings are clearly producer favourites.

It was different with Letitia as she never said she was returning. The show said Letitia would be back, I don't think Letitia herself had any intention of returning, in fact she apparently quit the show in 2004 but was tempted back to wrap up the Den story.

Thank you. I've been trying to say this on other threads but kept getting shouted down - I'm glad someone else shares my view.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I would rather Tanya didn't return, I used to like her but lately she is just horrible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Star actually has a pretty good record of accuracy regarding Soaps, it should be said. And Joyner herself with this 'six months' talk has never stated she is taking a sabbitical which is the contractual form of taking a break. In a soap, once you chose not to renew your contract you quit - there's no planned contract somewhere out there for you to sign. The BBC's own PR for EastEnders can't even state specfically when Joyner will be back. If such an arrangement existed (of which I haven't ever heard of happening) where TPTB have drawn up a future contract of employment for Joyner sign, then surely they would at least be able to tell us specfically when thet expect Joyner to return to work?

Tanya has not been 'central to the show's reinvention' even I have to say Saint Stacey Slater and Ronnie Mitchell were more viewer drawers than Tanya Branning. Even under Santer - the show was the Stacey & Ronnie show, it was never the Tanya show. The show's reinvention had more to do with the Mitchell sisters and their own arc, as well as Max Branning and the dynamic between him, his son and his daughter-in-law than it ever had to do with Tanya. For Tanya's first year and half she was nothing more than Max's wife, and despite an increased focus on her in 2008 she didn't really develop beyond that. The Slaters were also 'producer favourites' - in the end that didn't stop that family pretty much disintergating. Jean, is a Slater only by marriage and Mo is Porter - Harris by marriage, and thus related to Pat by marriage.

Tanya doesn't really have much of a place on the square. Her character pretty much has hit a wall as far as mileage is concerned, and she can't just exist there for the sake of it. We have enough deadwood characters. It's like saying Tyler should remain on the square becaue his uncle and brother are there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jo has said she is leaving for 6 months. She wanted a year but her bosses gave her 6 instead.

Eastenders plan very far in advance. So if Jo finishes filming in December she would be due back filming in May. Storylines for next summer for example will be mapped out around Tanya's return. Therefore an agreement will have been made and signed confirming to her bosses that Jo was going to return. Jo cannot just decide to return when she wants. It has to be planned and written. Its been planned at 6 months!!

How hard is that to understand? if Jo was leaving for a year then perhaps people would have a point. 6 months however makes it completely different.

Jo has also confirmed she is returning. There is nothing more to discuss here.

Are you serious????? You think the BBC hands out contracts 6 months in advance?????? For god's sake........

I give up.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Jo does come back BUT I hope that this is the last of all the long breaks for all the cast.