Options

moffats finest hour

rr22rr22 Posts: 7,637
Forum Member
Series seven Is this going to be the best ? Strongest series yet?

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    consistant

Not the word that comes to mind with a companion change. :p But yes, I do hope that Series 7 is consistently amazing. Though, at this stage, it can't be anything less for me ;)
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think it might. The whole format for the upcoming series might be exactly what it needs and the new companion certainly looks promising too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An unlikely premise.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His finest hour still lies in his episodes written for the RTD era...however he did a decent job with The Eleventh Hour and his general handling of series 5. I know it's not a universal opinion but I think he personally dropped the ball with series 6 (culminating in the woeful last Christmas special...) and needs to pick it up sharply with 'Asylum of the Daleks'!!!
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you ask me Moffatt's finest hour, no, actually, Dr Who's finest hour, was series 5. Bloody brilliant, that was. I'd say it was perfect, but some episodes were only great, not stunning like the others. Best Doctor ever, best companions ever, best characters ever, best episodes ever, best arc ever, best music ever, I mean I could go on...
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt Moffat could have anything "Finest"
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I thought it was Coupling:: The Girl with 3 Legs

but if you mean Doctor Who then I've a feeling it's going to be Asylum of the Daleks as I've not heard a bad comment yet

Obviously 'Blink' is right up there. Even my ol Mum loves that ep and she can't abide Dr Who
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    If you ask me Moffatt's finest hour, no, actually, Dr Who's finest hour, was series 5. Bloody brilliant, that was. I'd say it was perfect, but some episodes were only great, not stunning like the others. Best Doctor ever, best companions ever, best characters ever, best episodes ever, best arc ever, best music ever, I mean I could go on...

I kind of agree with that (although series 5 had its stinkers, such as The Beast Below, The Vampires of Venice, the Silurian two parter). Series 6 was a major letdown though with no redeeming features.

Let's also hope that Murray Gold has upped his game with the music this year - he really dropped the ball last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I doubt Moffat could have anything "Finest"

Have you not seen 'Jekyll' (broadcast in 2007)? Now that, to me at least, was extremely fine. :)
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Have you not seen 'Jekyll' (broadcast in 2007)? Now that, to me at least, was extremely fine. :)

That was dreadful, and showed that Moffat can't do arcs. Shame no one at the BBC picked up on that and saved us the dross of Series 5 and 6.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Series 6 was a major letdown though with no redeeming features.

Just as one man's meat is another man's poison, one person's major letdown with no redeeming features was another person's best Series of Doctor Who since the 2005 relaunch.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    well I thought it was Coupling:: The Girl with 3 Legs
    Umm...The Girl with Two Breasts, The Man with Two Legs, The Girl with one Heart...

Anyway it's clearly the Lesbian Spank Inferno speech from "Inferno"...or maybe Jeff's 30th birthday. :D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Scandal in Belgravia was pretty good. Anything up to that standard would be very nice indeed. :)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless, there will always be some people moaning.
    That's life.

I for one am looking forward to the healthy debate which we should be experiencing after the upcoming episodes. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :DSherlock is moffatt's finest hour!
    though dw had bits that was kool recently its lost its zing factor

matt too clumsy though ok at times
    Amy is good and rory too to add that human instinct
    riversong/pond dodgy at times
    silence shut up and that stupid gothic midwife
    gatiss dalek episode eek though his dolls episode was on the money and back to the dw chill factor !
    timey wimey stuff what???
    sherlock excellently casted with Bendict cumnberbatch
    assisted well with freeman
    wickedly challenged with Andrew scott as Moraity kind of a good idea for the master (andrew scott)
    gatiss wrote this and acted in it with great skill
    moffat helped too!
    Una Stubbs class casting
    ax
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as one man's meat is another man's poison, one person's major letdown with no redeeming features was another person's best Series of Doctor Who since the 2005 relaunch.

Agreed! I've loved everything Moffat has written so far for Who and the only episode he personally has written that has disappointed in his era so far is the dire Christmas special: The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was dreadful, and showed that Moffat can't do arcs. Shame no one at the BBC picked up on that and saved us the dross of Series 5 and 6.

Jekyll was excellent. What's wrong with you? ;)
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, I just meant Doctor Who wise, I was a big fan of Coupling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coupling Series 3 and 4 were patchy at best. I don't think the show was ever amazing, but it was at its best in series 1&2, despite Davenport's incessant whining.

In terms of his recent output; The Eleventh Hour has been his best effort, with maybe A Christmas Carol next. None of his multi-parter arcs have satisfied me. I love time paradoxes, but these were more convoluted than complicated. The end of Season 5 and Season 6 have been messy, nonsensical affairs.

A Study in Pink and A Scandal in Belgravia are the best two episodes of Sherlock no question.

But Moffat's finest hour, well, 45 minutes will probably always be Blink. One of the finest episodes of genre television...ever.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jekyll was excellent. What's wrong with you? ;)

It started off OK, but the plot just kept going off in different, random directions and it all became extremely convoluted - in fact, just like the last two series of Who!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It started off OK, but the plot just kept going off in different, random directions and it all became extremely convoluted - in fact, just like the last two series of Who!

I love convoluted plots, if well written - and Jekyll was very well written. :)
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing will ever beat 'Blink' IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrMarple wrote: »

I certainly don't think that Moffat will ever write a better Doctor Who story than 'Blink'.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    MrMarple wrote: »

Agreed. Series 5 was underwhelming and series 6 not much better.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about Blink, easily Moffatts finest hour and a case, I fear, of him peaking too soon for DW.

I get the feeling that he's been trying to recreate the cleverness and intricacy of Blink over an entire series and has, IMO, failed dreadfully.

There is an impression to me of a writer who is making things up as he goes along, who writes himself into a corner and ends up answering questions with more questions or comes up with solutions that, to my mind, are disappointing and unsatisfactory.

I like the sound of the new series being more stand alone, but the trailer seems to be just more of the same old, same old, Amelia, River etc etc.

I'm far more looking foward to the second half actually, I feel the show will be far better without the dominance of Amy and River over the storylines, characters who I have no connection with at all I'm afraid.