Options

Would it be entirely mad for me to commute by boat?

thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seeing as it's the last day of silly season, I thought I'd put a less heavy question in advice, which may help me stop wasting my weekend.

Basically, I am looking at the option to commute to work by canal. We are moving offices in the next few months, and I will be close to canal moorings at both ends, with a direct route and no locks between here and there. Mooring would cost me £1000 a year, half that of car insurance, though obviously I couldn't just take the boat anywhere.

I have some little experience boating on lakes, but not canals.

Is there such a thing as a small motored boat with a little cabin - I've been looking at a few but none are under 14" and a smaller one would be better I think.

Do you need a license on a canal? Boat insurance? Basically is this idea totally nuts and should I give up even contemplating it?!

I think this could be quite a fun purchase, and it would definitely give me something to do of a weekend! Also, I blooming hate trains but can't quite afford a car.

Comments

• Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long would the commute by canal be? Most canals have a speed limit of 4mph.

I've got a little houseboat, it's great fun but not cheap, mooring fees are just the start of it.

http://www.boatsales-uk.com/running_costs.htm
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So long as you move every 2 weeks you aint liable to council tax i think but you have to remember that you'll need to sort out your own heating/lighting etc which will cost you one way or another so from what i remember it aint much different long term than living on dry land
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    So long as you move every 2 weeks you aint liable to council tax i think but you have to remember that you'll need to sort out your own heating/lighting etc which will cost you one way or another so from what i remember it aint much different long term than living on dry land
    The OP's not talking about living aboard, just commuting though.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenorlady wrote: »
    How long would the commute by canal be? Most canals have a speed limit of 4mph.

I've got a little houseboat, it's great fun but not cheap, mooring fees are just the start of it.

http://www.boatsales-uk.com/running_costs.htm

Well, the commute is just over 3 miles, but I think the quality of life issue is the big one for me rather than the time. I grew up in the countryside, and where I live is so urban that a little boat would give me a reasonable degree of freedom as a hobby.

I really can't stress how much I loathe getting the train, and I can't see myself being any happier driving through traffic.

How did you get into boating may I ask? Is it 'easy' for a relative amateur to get involved in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the commute is just over 3 miles, but I think the quality of life issue is the big one for me rather than the time. I grew up in the countryside, and where I live is so urban that a little boat would give me a reasonable degree of freedom as a hobby.

I really can't stress how much I loathe getting the train, and I can't see myself being any happier driving through traffic.

How did you get into boating may I ask? Is it 'easy' for a relative amateur to get involved in?
    I impulse bought my boat with some money I inherited from my gran - I saw an advert in the post office window. My boating prior to that had been on a pedalo in Spain:D

I found the boating community at the mooring to be incredibly helpful, and there's lots of info at www.canalboat.co.uk and http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating

I would go and have a chat with people at the place you will be mooring your boat and ask their advice - I have never regretted my lovely little boat, she's my escape route and my sanctuary.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as it's the last day of silly season, I thought I'd put a less heavy question in advice, which may help me stop wasting my weekend.

Basically, I am looking at the option to commute to work by canal. We are moving offices in the next few months, and I will be close to canal moorings at both ends, with a direct route and no locks between here and there. Mooring would cost me £1000 a year, half that of car insurance, though obviously I couldn't just take the boat anywhere.

Basically is this idea totally nuts and should I give up even contemplating it?!

No "entire madness" would be commuting by boat when there is no water connection between home and work. That would be "totally nuts".
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You pay 2 grand for car insurance? :eek::eek:
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mooring would cost me £1000 a year, half that of car insurance,

£2000 for car insurance. Mine's about £300. Start building up a decent driving record and shop around and it'll come down in future years.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Sounds a great idea, anything to do with water is ment to be relaxing
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there such a thing as a small motored boat with a little cabin - I've been looking at a few but none are under 14" and a smaller one would be better I think.

Anything smaller would probably be completely open and therefore cold and wet in bad weather. Unless you want a launch, I would expect 17' would be about the mark you'd want. Then you could take it on longer trips and overnight in it. Even small boats are pretty expensive compared to cheap cars though, you'd be talking a couple of thousand absolute minimum including an engine.
    Do you need a license on a canal?

Yes, visit http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing it's the successor to British Waterways. You'll also need a safety inspection - not major, mainly to do with fire safety from gas cylinders and fuel escapes. If it's a privately owned canal it will have it's own licensing instead.
    Boat insurance?

Yes, third party liability is required for the public canal licence, probably be dirt cheap as accidents tend to be light and low likelyhood of personal injury. You might want more coverage though. See the above site.
    Basically is this idea totally nuts and should I give up even contemplating it?

No, but remember there will be a speed limit of 4mph so even a 3 mile journey isn't going to be quick.

There is a potential security problem with unattended moored boats, particularly if it has an outboard engine which is quite easy to remove and get a fair price with the numbers filed off

Canals can also freeze over in the winter so you'll need an alternative then!
    but can't quite afford a car.

See above. It'll be fun but don't expect it to be much cheaper

Oh, and if I was in your position, I would :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Go for it - I would
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,904
    Forum Member
    If winter 2010 was anything to go by, you might need to consider alternative means of transport if the canal freezes over. Just something else to consider.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about a bycycle along the tow path? Hell of a lot cheaper - No insurance, no mooring costs, no fuel cost. Added bonus - improved fitness and it'll be quicker.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Don't bother with the stupid laws and speed limits OP, get a jet ski. You'll be at work in no time.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    If winter 2010 was anything to go by, you might need to consider alternative means of transport if the canal freezes over.

If they can break the ice at either end of their commute, perhaps a mini-submarine?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a great idea, in bristol we have water ferries which people catch to work from the station, never a traffic jam.
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    Obviously look into all of the boring legal and financial stuff, but I personally think its a great idea :D
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about a bycycle along the tow path? Hell of a lot cheaper - No insurance, no mooring costs, no fuel cost. Added bonus - improved fitness and it'll be quicker.

I agree! If I lived and worked on a canal with a 3 mile distance between them I would definitely be cycling! That would be fantastic - the fitness, the fresh air, the cheapness, the ease...
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for it. I commute between 2 workplaces on the Thames every day, and it's a very civilised way to travel.
  • Options
    moanzalotmoanzalot Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    3 miles? why not just get a bike :/
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the speed limit on the canal is 4mph, you could walk in the time it would take you on the water.
    If it's a good towpath I'd go for the bike.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you really want to spend half your life tootling up and down the canal at 4mph ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    It sounds a lovely relaxing way to spend the commute to work - but it's a big outlay for a 3 mile commute. Unless you are hoping to buy a nice little cabin cruiser and spend weekends and evening on the boat as well, in which case, go for it. Otherwise a bike ride along the canal path would be a heck of a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just might be more convenient to use a folding bike.
    It depends on secure storage space at both ends, they do cost a bit more than normal bikes.

A bus ride might be wise in icy weather.

David
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerr60 wrote: »
    Its a great idea, in bristol we have water ferries which people catch to work from the station, never a traffic jam.

Yes, but you're talking about rivers, which flow quickly enough not to freeze. Canals are standing water, they'll freeze over in a bad winter.