Options

Tickets (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    zulu17 wrote: »
    Why didn't you get the Javelin train from St Pancras --

I second that. I've used the Javelin 3 times so far and each one was a great experience. 6 minutes to St Pancras, hardly any queues. Even leaving the opening ceremony on Wednesday we only waited about 10 minutes and we didn't rush away, we were on the far side of the stadium and were pretty well in the midst of the main crowds.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I second that. I've used the Javelin 3 times so far and each one was a great experience. 6 minutes to St Pancras, hardly any queues. Even leaving the opening ceremony on Wednesday we only waited about 10 minutes and we didn't rush away, we were on the far side of the stadium and were pretty well in the midst of the main crowds.

I used the Javelin twice, it's amazing how quick it was! The second time they even gave out free ice cream to us as we boarded the trains :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone want senior tickets for the athletics on Sunday morning ? I've got two surplus to requirements. Given the short timescale and the low value of the tickets (£5 each) I am happy to work on an honesty box principle. The first email I receive from someone who can genuinely use them and can supply me a name and an associated landline number which is not ex-directory will get them emailed and can pay me via some means as and when (they are print at home tickets). If you can't provide that, try me anyway and you can be first reserve. They can't be upgraded to adult as it has to be the ticket holder who does that and I am in Leeds. However at the very least they will get you into the park. It seems a shame to just bin them.
    One caveat, I am checking with a friend in the morning whether they want them and they have first dibs.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    walsh_j wrote: »
    Do's
    (1) DO get to the Park as early as you want so soak up the atmosphere & have a look around
    (2) DO take your time leaving the Park - there's no rush!
    (3) DO take as much food as you can fit in your bags - will save you a bit of money in the Park
    (4) DO make usre your camera battery is charged & your have space on your memory card
    (5) DO smile & say hello to all the wonderful GamesMakers, policemen and security staff.

Don'ts
    errr...
    errr... Don't stress!

Excellent advice thank you.
    bigc127 wrote: »
    Do not be tempted to take the tube to West Ham, despite the signage encouraging you to do so...that is one hell of a long walk!

Thanks. We considered getting off at WH but have decided to switch to the DLR at WH. I don't mind a walk of that length but we will have children with us so for them it may be a bit too long, plus we want to eat before we enter the park, which we can do at Stratford. Getting very excited now!

Is it true that you can present proof of event tickets at any tube station on the day to claim your free travelcard?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    What were the queues like, it look about an hour queuing to
    go though all the checks to get into the venues (Grennwich Park Thursday PM) , some of the queues were much longer than others, no where near enough checking stations were open.

Praise also to London 2012 helpers really fantastic,

Was at Excel tonight for the sitting volleyball. Great atmosphere seeing team GB play (although the men lost easily to Egypt).

Didn't arrive until just before 7pm but there didn't seem to be any issues with queuing up for any arena.

I had 'reserved' seats - the only difference being you sat facing the court rather than at either end (where the day pass holders were). The place was only 2/3 full for Team GB playing on a Friday evening (back 5 or 6 rows were empty as it was sit where you want) - so I doubt anyone with just an excel day pass will have any difficulty accessing any or all of the 4/5 venues there. Indeed the day pass section was a lot emptier!

Also saw a bit of table tennis - that was probably only half full. I am sure they could probably sell more excel tickets - but want to limit the numbers so they are manageable.

PS Sitting volleyball is great - please C4 try and fit in some coverage of it between the athletics, swimming, cycling and basketball!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Long shot, but does anyone have a pair of Orbit tickets for tomorrow (Sunday) that they no longer want? I'm happy to pay face value for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excellent advice thank you.

Is it true that you can present proof of event tickets at any tube station on the day to claim your free travelcard?

You can certainly present them for travel, but I don't think they'll actually issue a travel card because they are special travel cards marked as Paralympic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zulu17 wrote: »
    Why didn't you get the Javelin train from St Pancras --
    Because I had to pay and it was more expensive than the tube. I had a print at home ticket so didn't get a free travelcard until I got there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I've got two spare tickets for the closing ceremony £50 face value - please PM me if interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because I had to pay and it was more expensive than the tube. I had a print at home ticket so didn't get a free travelcard until I got there!

You could have taken it for two reasons. Firstly, print at home tickets can be presented for travel and secondly they don't actually check the tickets, the barriers are permanently open at the moment with announcements telling you not to put your tickets in the machines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could have taken it for two reasons. Firstly, print at home tickets can be presented for travel
    That's just rumour. On the web it says you can collect a travelcard at the box office at the venue on the day. I didn't quite do that because I asked one of the helpers where the box office was to get a card and he gave me a travelcard that he'd found on the ground so I got back for free and then gave the card to my son to use to get to work. So between us we got our money's worth out of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    That's just rumour. On the web it says you can collect a travelcard at the box office at the venue on the day. I didn't quite do that because I asked one of the helpers where the box office was to get a card and he gave me a travelcard that he'd found on the ground so I got back for free and then gave the card to my son to use to get to work. So between us we got our money's worth out of it.

Actually it's not a rumour - it was published on the GAOTG twitter feed. I've presented my print a home tickets at several stations around London and have been let through the barriers fine - although i've taken the chance to pick up my travelcards today as it's less hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musehead wrote: »
    Actually it's not a rumour - it was published on the GAOTG twitter feed. I've presented my print a home tickets at several stations around London and have been let through the barriers fine - although i've taken the chance to pick up my travelcards today as it's less hassle.
    Oh well, too late now. I don't do twitter so didn't know. So I lost a couple of quid, never mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    ikus wrote: »
    I've got two spare tickets for the closing ceremony £50 face value - please PM me if interested.

Just wondered if tickets still available, if yes I'd love to buy them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I'd love to buy tickets if still available?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this will have been answered earlier in the thread, but I cannot find the response so hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer again.

I have an athletics ticket for Friday morning, and am thinking of trying to get a ticket at another venue for later in the day. Can anyone confirm if there is a ticket recycling type system at the Paralympics? If there is, I may just take my chances and queue for a return ticket, but as there are multi-venue Day Passes this time, I assume the set up will be a bit different (and there will be far fewer tickets to be recycled).
  • Options
    carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    walsh_j wrote: »
    (3) DO take as much food as you can fit in your bags - will save you a bit of money in the Park...

Food and drink, apart from a small amount of water, is prohibited. I don't how you got yours through the scanner, but I've seen numerous people get every last bit of food taken off them. Yesterday at the Excel I saw a family have loads of food confiscated.

I went to the Wheelchair Basketball today and as I was in a rush and didn't eat breakfast I took about 5 biscuits and some of a two litre bottle of lemonade to eat and drink on the way. I forgot they were on me and had to chuck the biscuits and drink the lemonade before I went in.

If they're going to fleece people on the food and drink, they're not going to allow people to take in their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this will have been answered earlier in the thread, but I cannot find the response so hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer again.

I have an athletics ticket for Friday morning, and am thinking of trying to get a ticket at another venue for later in the day. Can anyone confirm if there is a ticket recycling type system at the Paralympics? If there is, I may just take my chances and queue for a return ticket, but as there are multi-venue Day Passes this time, I assume the set up will be a bit different (and there will be far fewer tickets to be recycled).

I was confused at first. Do you mean "return(ED) tickets"?

There are no ticket sales at any venue as far as I know. The only official tickets are on the web or the phone (although the latter is probably a waste of time). Unofficially there are a number of options.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Food and drink, apart from a small amount of water, is prohibited. I don't how you got yours through the scanner, but I've seen numerous people get every last bit of food taken off them. Yesterday at the Excel I saw a family have loads of food confiscated.

I went to the Wheelchair Basketball today and as I was in a rush and didn't eat breakfast I took about 5 biscuits and some of a two litre bottle of lemonade to eat and drink on the way. I forgot they were on me and had to chuck the biscuits and drink the lemonade before I went in.

If they're going to fleece people on the food and drink, they're not going to allow people to take in their own.

strange, i have taken food in with me to both excel and the olympic park. as far as i know it is drinks you are not allowed to take in.

quite a few london venue tickets have been on sale today. got sitting volleyball for friday evening and wheelchair basketball for saturday daytime - both £10 tickets.

was at the athletics last night and it was amazing - only thing is it got really cold so i would advise taking a jumper even if it is sunny
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Food and drink, apart from a small amount of water, is prohibited.

That is certainly not true at the Olympic Park. You cannot take liquids in (unless under 100ml) but you can certainly take food in - it actually states that on the London 2012 website.

I have just spent three days in the Olympic park and had no problem taking food in and there were many, many others doing the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was confused at first. Do you mean "return(ED) tickets"?

There are no ticket sales at any venue as far as I know. The only official tickets are on the web or the phone (although the latter is probably a waste of time). Unofficially there are a number of options.

Not sure of the correct term....at the Olympics, where people had a ticket for, say, Handball, that covered 2 matches, some decided to leave after the first match. That ticket was then 'recycled' and reallocated to people who chose to queue. I was thinking of trying to get a 'recycled' ticket after i've been to the morning athletics.

But, as there are Day Passes for multiple venues at the Paralympics, i'm not sure if they will be operating this kind of system (and presumably only a percentage of the venue will be allocated to non Day Passes anyway). In which case, I would need to try and buy a ticket beforehand if I wanted to attend an additional event.

So I suppose my question is whether the same ticket recycling as at the Olympics is operating for those already in the Park?
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david63 wrote: »
    I have just spent three days in the Olympic park

Couldn't find accommodation in time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone know how busy the Westminster ticket office has been. I want to collect a ticket before tomorrow night's athletics and my experience of the Olympic park ticket office has been a lot of queuing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know how busy the Westminster ticket office has been. I want to collect a ticket before tomorrow night's athletics and my experience of the Olympic park ticket office has been a lot of queuing.

I went there this afternoon to pick up tickets and there was only about a dozen people in the queue with eight separate ticket booths open. Got my tickets within 10 mins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david63 wrote: »
    That is certainly not true at the Olympic Park. You cannot take liquids in (unless under 100ml) but you can certainly take food in - it actually states that on the London 2012 website.

I have just spent three days in the Olympic park and had no problem taking food in and there were many, many others doing the same.

I've never tried taking food anywhere, but I certainly saw a family in the next lane having food confiscated on Friday. Whether it was a particular type that was a problem I wouldn't know. I've personally never seen anybody near me eating anything other than venue food, but that might have been a personal choice. I'd be grateful if anybody could point me to the relevant regulation as it might save me some money in future!