Options

~~~ Christmas 2012 TV Thread ~~~

Comments

• Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Mrs Browns Boys has more of a Boxing Day feel for me. Also if it is bound for Christmas Day, will BBC1 insist on a F word free episode?

Catherine Tate has had 2 Specials on Christmas Day and I think she used that word plenty of times :p
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still have 2 days off from the school holidays (work in a school!) Don't even want to think about next week, let alone Christmas!!
  • Options
    scotorcascotorca Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    How sad are you lot :p
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could we see christmas night with olympians or christmas with the olympians on bbc?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people keep saying that Call the Midwife isn't Christmas Day material? I don't think you could find a show that is so well suited! It's about births, and so is Christmas!

Also, I think ITV should do an X Factor Christmas special (pre-recorded of course), it would certainly give them an easy 8-10 million viewers, and I don't know why they haven't thought of this yet! Especially as SCD has been doing it for years...

There was a World Idol on Christmas day (based on the massive hit Pop Idol). There was also a Dancing On Ice Christmas Special. Both bombed.

Downton Abbey is ITV's first big Christmas smash for years. Who would have thought three years ago that a period drama would be a huge hit on Christmas Day? This suggests that Call The Midwife may indeed be a big hit on that day too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    There was a World Idol on Christmas day (based on the massive hit Pop Idol). There was also a Dancing On Ice Christmas Special. Both bombed.

Downton Abbey is ITV's first big Christmas smash for years. Who would have thought three years ago that a period drama would be a huge hit on Christmas Day? This suggests that Call The Midwife may indeed be a big hit on that day too.

I still think that it's too early to put Call The Midwife on Christmas Day. Okay, the first series rated VERY well but; it could just be 'luck'. I think Christmas Day is for hits that have stood the test of time (well at least two series!). The repeats of Call The Midwife did very poorly too! I don't think it's ready for Christmas Day yet.
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHO CARES??????:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rkid wrote: »
    WHO CARES??????:confused:

Well clearly everyone who contributes on this optional to participate thread. Go away if you don't want to participate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well clearly everyone who contributes on this optional to participate thread. Go away if you don't want to participate.

Well Said! :D
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ohhhh someones a little touchy ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If ITV show Downton on Christmas Day again this year, I wonder if The Royle Family will beat it in the ratings if it is up against it? ... Or will the BBC just place Eastenders against it again? I hope not ... Christmas Day 21:00 is a fantastic Comedy slot, oppisite Downton or not.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »
    If ITV show Downton on Christmas Day again this year, I wonder if The Royle Family will beat it in the ratings if it is up against it? ... Or will the BBC just place Eastenders against it again? I hope not ... Christmas Day 21:00 is a fantastic Comedy slot, oppisite Downton or not.
    I wouldn't like to predict the ratings yet, but I think the BBC would like to show The Royle Family at 9pm, with either an hour of EastEnders at 8pm, or half an hour of EastEnders at 8.30, and the other episode of the soap earlier in the evening. I don't think they want an hour of 'Enders at 7pm, so if ITV show an hour of Coronation St at 8pm, I think EastEnders will go at 9pm, with The Royle Family after it. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't like to predict the ratings yet, but I think the BBC would like to show The Royle Family at 9pm, with either an hour of EastEnders at 8pm, or half an hour of EastEnders at 8.30, and the other episode of the soap earlier in the evening. I don't think they want an hour of 'Enders at 7pm, so if ITV show an hour of Coronation St at 8pm, I think EastEnders will go at 9pm, with The Royle Family after it. :o

Yeah, it would be a shame though as Mrs Brown's Boys is such a hit, it deserves to have a Christmas Day showing and 11pm is a little too late for it and I doubt it will appear anywhere before 9 due to the content :p.
  • Options
    J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhhhhhh the Christmas thread!!!! I love it :)

My only wish this year (the same as last year) is that we get some decent movies on terrestrial Tv.

I am so fed up of animated films on at Christmas time, i want some real actors and story lines, the kids are all to busy playing with their new toys to be bothered to sit down and watch TV yet they keep putting on films designed for children, which means the majority of us are left struggling to find anything decent to watch.

Dont get me wrong i love Shrek and Toy Story but the rest of those type of films are not good enough to hold me for longer than 5 minutes at a time.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to Mrs Brown, The Royle Family and of course EE and Corrie. And of course all the Christmas films!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think if Downton is at 9pm, Eastenders would be on at 8.30pm for an hour with The Royle Family at 9.30pm and Mrs Browns' Boys at 10.30pm. That way EastEnders would get the decent lead in and DA would likely be trounced big time. That means Strictly at 7.30, Doctor Who at 6.30pm and Room on the Broom at 6pm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seconded.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo <yikes>
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Is this thread for real? Honestly, please tell me that it isn't! Is the most important thing about Christmas what's shown on TV? What about a proper Christmas, families getting together, singing carols around the piano, playing charades, a few rounds of housey-housey with a snowball (not the stuff out of the sky but the advocaat kind) being enjoyed by granny?

Okay, after saying that, I'll settle for the telly for my sanity but please omit Miranda Hart, is this woman really and honestly funny? I think not. Mrs Brown, on the other hand, most certainly is, imho. ;)

ETA, The Royle Family ceased to be funny when they got rid of Nanna, not a good move.
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OT-ish: I'm somewhat new to DS and can't remember if I was here last year...but can someone tell me if DS opens a Christmas subforum each year? I love Christmas more than I can possibly say and I would *love it* if we had our own little corner of DS to go mental about it without annoying all the Scrooges (said with affection :p) on here.

Back on topic: Really looking forward to Downton, Eastenders, the Christmas comedy roadshow (if it's back on again) and I really hope we get another Buble special. It filled me with loads of Xmas spirit last year!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Elongated Soap operas featuring birtsh, marriages , deaths, adultery & misery all played out in a dingy old boozer - check
    CGI animated Pixar film - check
    Unfunny comedian - check
    Specials of Strictly , X Factor - check
    Harry Potter film - check
    Classic Hollywoood film on in the middle of the night - check
    Crash bang wallop / explosion festival that is Dr Who - check
    Daytime TV masquerading as primetime TV - check

Same old shite , different year. Highlights for 2012 are Room On the Broom & the sequel to the Snowman, pretty laughable that its two childrens programmes that offer the most entertainment. The rest of it is just the same old wall to wall crap designed to keep the shopped out nation ready for the next onslaught on your ears of Noddy Holder, Wham, east 17 , Paul McCartney ,Wizzard & Mariah Carey on continuous play in the great temples of consumerism while you fight your way round buying crap that nobody wants in order to boost the profits for the commanders in chief at Arcadia , M&S , Boots , House Of Fraser , Tesco etc as they wage operation 'Boost The Balance Sheet' on the pavlov style conditioned nation trudging round in the cold & rain in desolate town centres , glossed up run down war zones with a few coloured light bulbs & some trees to break the monotony of the boarded up windows , pound shops, charity shops , bookies & phone shops. Or spending what seems like an eternity stuck in your car waiting to get into a life sapping steel framed shed where christmas is all under one roof , again doing you level best to keep yourself from commiting mass murder dodging the goons , loons & assorted gonks as they waddle up & down the aisles , bobbing along like turds on the tide.

:)
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elongated Soap operas featuring birtsh, marriages , deaths, adultery & misery all played out in a dingy old boozer - check
    Unfunny comedian - check

Same old shite , different year. Highlights for 2012 are Room On the Broom & the sequel to the Snowman, pretty laughable that its two childrens programmes that offer the most entertainment. The rest of it is just the same old wall to wall crap designed to keep the shopped out nation ready for the next onslaught on your ears of Noddy Holder, Wham, east 17 , Paul McCartney ,Wizzard & Mariah Carey on continuous play in the great temples of consumerism while you fight your way round buying crap that nobody wants in order to boost the profits for the commanders in chief at Arcadia , M&S , Boots , House Of Fraser , Tesco etc as they wage operation 'Boost The Balance Sheet' on the pavlov style conditioned nation trudging round in the cold & rain in desolate town centres , glossed up run down war zones with a few coloured light bulbs & some trees to break the monotony of the boarded up windows , pound shops, charity shops , bookies & phone shops. Or spending what seems like an eternity stuck in your car waiting to get into a life sapping steel framed shed where christmas is all under one roof , again doing you level best to keep yourself from commiting mass murder dodging the goons , loons & assorted gonks as they waddle up & down the aisles , bobbing along like turds on the tide.

So you're looking forward to it then?

:p
  • Options
    J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfunny comedian - check

Has to be one of the best posts i have seen ever, sadly it is all very accurate :cry:

Still love Christmas though or maybe i just love the idea of it, as last Christmas day was probably the worst i can ever remember and not due to deaths in the family or anything like that, just did not enjoy it as much as i should have :confused:
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the Citizen Khan winterval special?
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Is this thread for real? Honestly, please tell me that it isn't! Is the most important thing about Christmas what's shown on TV? What about a proper Christmas, families getting together, singing carols around the piano, playing charades, a few rounds of housey-housey with a snowball (not the stuff out of the sky but the advocaat kind) being enjoyed by granny?.

What a bizarre post. Nobody has claimed that TV is the most important thing about Christmas. This is the TV forum, to discuss TV specifically.

It amazes me that people come onto threads just to sl*g them off. Why waste your time?

Anyway, back on topic. I agree with the post about the animated films, they are on far too much over the Xmas period, we need some proper films!
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    What a bizarre post. Nobody has claimed that TV is the most important thing about Christmas. This is the TV forum, to discuss TV specifically.

It amazes me that people come onto threads just to sl*g them off. Why waste your time?

Anyway, back on topic. I agree with the post about the animated films, they are on far too much over the Xmas period, we need some proper films!

Please read the WHOLE of my post, the only person wasting their time and their typing fingers is you. It's always best to read the whole content of a post rather than jumping on the bit to use as a negative dig.

For the benefit of other forum members, this is what I actually said:
    Is this thread for real? Honestly, please tell me that it isn't! Is the most important thing about Christmas what's shown on TV? What about a proper Christmas, families getting together, singing carols around the piano, playing charades, a few rounds of housey-housey with a snowball (not the stuff out of the sky but the advocaat kind) being enjoyed by granny?

Okay, after saying that, I'll settle for the telly for my sanity but please omit Miranda Hart, is this woman really and honestly funny? I think not. Mrs Brown, on the other hand, most certainly is, imho.

ETA, The Royle Family ceased to be funny when they got rid of Nanna, not a good move.