Options

Family Stopped From Boarding 1st Class Flight With 'Disruptive' Down's Syndrome Son

BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Couldn't find a thread on this, sorry if it's been posted before.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2198317/American-Airlines-refused-family-class-seats-captain-claimed-Downs-syndrome-son-disruptive.html

Anyone with an aversion to DM links can view a KTLA news report here
A family have claimed they were stopped from boarding a flight because their son has Down's Syndrome and was not wanted in the first class section.
Joan and Robert Vanderhorst are threatening to sue American Airlines after they say they were victims of discrimination over their 16 year old son Bede.
The couple claim as they waited to board their flight back to their home near Los Angeles they were told by airline staff they were not allowed to take their seats.
Airline staff allegedly told them their son was disruptive and a danger to the flight crew.
But Mrs Vanderhorst told KLTA TV that she began filming her son as he waited in the departure lounge showing him sitting silently waiting to board the flight at Newark, New Jersey.
In the video, she can be heard sobbing and her husband expressing disbelief.
'He's behaving,' Mr Vanderhorst says. 'He's demonstrating he's not a problem.'
'Of course he's behaving. He's never not behaved,' his wife added.
Mrs Vanderhorst told KLTA: 'I kept saying, "Is this only because he has Down's Syndrome?"'

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fifty quid says this decision was not taken by the airline purely because of the fact that he had Down's Syndrome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If (and I stress if) he wasn't being disruptive during his time at the airport, then AA certainly have discriminated against him.

However....
    'Of course he's behaving. He's never not behaved,' his wife added

Bullshit! I have a son with Down Syndrome and he has misbehaved....much like any child really!
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm... is that all to the story? How the heck would AA know if he had Down's Syndrome or not?

Americans are so god damned hyper-litigious. I don't even see why that's news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Hmm... is that all to the story?

Nope. Even in the DM story, these essential nuggets of info are included:
    But American Airlines claims Bede was 'excitable, running around, and not acclimated to the environment'.

They also said the pilot had unsuccessfully tried to calm him down while in the waiting area.

'For the safety of the young man and the safety of others, American Airlines offered to book another flight for the family,' American Airlines spokesman Matt Miller told KTLA.
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fifty quid says this decision was not taken by the airline purely because of the fact that he had Down's Syndrome.
    I imagine the scene there is no way an airline should that child be taken on board ever !
    The parents are to be blamed they certainly would have known the child would have aincident while on board or boarding the aircraft and the airline should have notice this before they boarded.
    If they had spoken to mediclal services before boarding its likely they would have given the child an injection to keep him from distrupting the passengers. there is no doubt the airline would have allowed them on the plane under medical supervision (with luck the child would have been asleep all through the journey and no one the wiser and it would have been better for the child too.
    sounds to me the child didnot want to fly anyway and extremley frightened ..
    The parents are to be blmaed for the incident
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, it sounds like AA were within their rights to refuse travel. I also wonder if they flew first class on their outward journey without being "discriminated" against.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Well, it sounds like AA were within their rights to refuse travel. I also wonder if they flew first class on their outward journey without being "discriminated" against.

Indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine the scene there is no way an airline should that child be taken on board ever !
    The parents are to be blamed they certainly would have known the child would have aincident while on board or boarding the aircraft and the airline should have notice this before they boarded.
    If they had spoken to mediclal services before boarding its likely they would have given the child an injection to keep him from distrupting the passengers. there is no doubt the airline would have allowed them on the plane under medical supervision (with luck the child would have been asleep all through the journey and no one the wiser and it would have been better for the child too.

For some reason, this post disturbs me. Why should a child with Down syndrome be "injected" before they fly?
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oooh - chemical coshes for children on flights. Controversial but I like it!
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    You should read the whole thing . they had upgraded to 1st class. It seems that children wth Downs are not welcome in 1st class. Probably worried that he would put people off their champagne
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    You should read the whole thing . they had upgraded to 1st class. It seems that children wth Downs are not welcome in 1st class. Probably worried that he would put people off their champagne

So should you, it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The quote provided by Hugh Jboobs does suggest that AA tried to calm the boy down, with the pilot even attempting to help. Offering them another flight doesn't sound like discrimination to me.
    But American Airlines claims Bede was 'excitable, running around, and not acclimated to the environment'.

They also said the pilot had unsuccessfully tried to calm him down while in the waiting area.

'For the safety of the young man and the safety of others, American Airlines offered to book another flight for the family,' American Airlines spokesman Matt Miller told KTLA.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they had spoken to mediclal services before boarding its likely they would have given the child an injection to keep him from distrupting the passengers.

Pity they couldn't do that to every child on every flight !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »
    Pity they couldn't do that to every child on every flight !

Pfft, my son is normally one of the best behaved people onboard. He loves the whole experience and I would hate for him to be given the "BA" treatment (as in The A-Team).
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    What's this?

A doting self-righteous couple who take the view that any inconvenience to them simply MUST be prejudice and is worthy of litigation?

I find it a little odd that the mother who saw fit to video her child sitting quietly while the parents argue with airline staff never saw fit to also video any of the situation that led to this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So should you, it seems.

Did you read more than the title:
    from the article
    The family, who have flown together dozens of times insist Bede was singled out on this occasion as they had upgraded to the first class section.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2198317/American-Airlines-refused-family-class-seats-captain-claimed-Downs-syndrome-son-disruptive.html#ixzz25auvVLuF
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    from the article

Yes. See post #5.

And also #15. The relevant bit is repeated there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    from the article

Or it could be that the kid was simply more excited than usual after being told they were flying first class for the first time.

On balance, I think that's probably a more likely explanation than an airline enacting some policy of deliberate bigotry in order to protect the delicate sensibilities of their first class passengers.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

presumably had the lad injured himself they would have also sued.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. See post #5.

And also #15. The relevant bit is repeated there.

see the post
    I also wonder if they flew first class on their outward journey without being "discriminated" against.

So the answer is no as they had upgraded for this flight. Funny how they were refused when they upgraded to 1st class
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    see the post

So the answer is no as they had upgraded for this flight. Funny how they were refused when they upgraded to 1st class

maybe he wasn't doing whatever it was that they felt endangered his safety on the outbound flight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    see the post

Don't you think it's likely that if AA were deliberately banning disabled people from 1st class (in order to avoid putting the fat-cats off their champagne) it might have been noticed before now?

Or are we to assume this is the first time in 80 years that such a person has had the audacity to attempt to fly 1st class?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    maybe he wasn't doing whatever it was that they felt endangered his safety on the outbound flight.

Like flying 1st class;)
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Maybe it was "Gideon's" fault? Everything else is.