Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I only have a few more small observations on S1E2, since all other comments have been so rich and interesting:

1. DM takes his tea with milk and no sugar but in S4 we see him pouring tea for breakfast, right before running to the school to tell LG he's moving away, and he doesn't use any milk.

2. DM eats out, wanting a pastie, but is rebuffed at the restaurant due to firing Elaine. Perhaps then he just decides to always make his own dinner at home.

3. Buddy the dog is quite the Lothario and likes 'em tiny with goofy names. Apparently Buddy has his way both with Carmen's lap dog, Sir Lancelot, and Carrie's dog.

4. Biffpup brought up the idea that LG has only had her job briefly at PW. In the hospital, we hear that LG and Roger have not spoken for a year, which is when we are to assume that LG took over his job at the PW Primary. Why did they want to fire Roger--did he not do a good job? Attitude? Where was LG before working at the PW school? We are made to think she has been in PW, her childhood village and the village she loves, for a long time, but apparently, that is not the case at all. What made her, perhaps decide to return home? Where was she before her return?

5. Roger shares in the hospital that he has a grown up daughter with whom he is estranged. One wondered if his daughter is alerted to that fact that she has a half sister, in S2, 25 years or so younger than her.

6. I think the theme of this episode is "chip on the shoulder". Elaine has one regarding her mother's early death and her dad remarrying. Roger obviously has one about his being fired before his pension kicked in. LG has one, in regards to DM not being the marvelous, terrific, tall, handsome, caring, fitting into PW doctor she I think really wanted him to be, being attracted to him. That he isn't Mr. Perfect deeply upsets her, I think.

However, I thought the build up of DM and LG missing themselves in the hospital hallways and the parking lot was overdone; the fall-out of her believing he didn't show up at the hospital had a very disappointing denouement in the meeting of her, DM and Roger at the wedding. But, we do immediately see LG thinking the worse of DM and we know that continues onward throughout the entire series.

yes, what is that about? She does stick up for him and defend him when that is called for, but she is also quick to jump to the wrong conclusion. I guess it's just to add tension to the story line, but I'd link to think there was some plot-consistent explanation.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5. Roger shares in the hospital that he has a grown up daughter with whom he is estranged. One wondered if his daughter is alerted to that fact that she has a half sister, in S2, 25 years or so younger than her.

That is, twin half-sisters!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    yes, what is that about? She does stick up for him and defend him when that is called for, but she is also quick to jump to the wrong conclusion. I guess it's just to add tension to the story line, but I'd link to think there was some plot-consistent explanation.

You know, the more I think about what I wrote, the more I think it does give me a bit of a deeper inkling into LG.

Once DM correctly diagnoses LG off the cuff with glaucoma, saving her eyesight, I think she does see him, or wants to see him as her "Prince", or knight in shining armor. Someone she can finally love, being so "male" as she calls his conversation in S1E2, for which he thanks her, and someone she cannot deny she is physically and emotionally attracted to.

I think finding out rather quickly that he is not Mr. Perfect does upset her and push her buttons. No doubt she has always found something wrong with the people she's loved in her life, like Danny being too unstable in his decisions, and finding flaws existing fairly quickly in DM did upset her profoundly. She's getting older, she wants a man, she wants children, she wants a family, and DM, "on paper", seems a pretty good catch.

Fantastic doc, single, no kids, tall, good looking, broad shoulders, has money, Alpha male, competent--all things most women would be drawn to. Add in the undeniable chemistry and one can see that finding out he is going to stand out, not fit in, be rude, push patients/people away, have "combative" sentences he always has to win, etc. takes the shine off his armor.

She seems to then spend the rest of the series loving and desperately wanting him while being greatly irritated by those recurrent and escalating flaws. I think deep down she's just pissed he isn't Mr. Perfect and she realizes because of her being in love, she has to be with him anyway. You know, it's not just with her old, failed lovers; I think that is probably a theme in her life with loved ones--her mother, her father, Danny, etc. None of them are the perfect person in the role she's needed them to be in her life. I think she is super disappointed DM falls nearly immediately into that theme.

I can see why she tends to think the worse of him at times; she's thought the worse of all the failed relationships, and for good cause. It's probably an ingrained habit of hers by now. It's by no means helpful, or right, but it is understandable.
  • Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I only have a few more small observations on S1E2, since all other comments have been so rich and interesting:

4. Biffpup brought up the idea that LG has only had her job briefly at PW. In the hospital, we hear that LG and Roger have not spoken for a year, which is when we are to assume that LG took over his job at the PW Primary. Why did they want to fire Roger--did he not do a good job? Attitude? Where was LG before working at the PW school? We are made to think she has been in PW, her childhood village and the village she loves, for a long time, but apparently, that is not the case at all. What made her, perhaps decide to return home? Where was she before her return?

Perhaps she was promoted into some Senior position at the school that he held. Maybe Deputy Head or similar which is why it seemed to obvious to the village that she would be the next Head Teacher.

She is so protective of PW right from E1, that I can't imagine she went away to London for college and then lived elsewhere and just returned a year ago. (Wasn't part of the reason she and danny didn't work out "way back when" was that he wanted to stay in London and be a hot shot architect and she wanted to come home and be a teacher in PW?)
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Regarding Roger Fenn's dismissal from the PW primary school.
    We know that he was close to retirement and was fired (I guess that is what the P45 did).
    I find this very strange unless he was guilty of something pretty bad and since is is still accepted by the community, I doubt this is the case.
    I would expect that in real life this situation would be a labor lawyer's dream.

I put it all down to loose continuity by the writers, that we call the PW effect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »
    We know that he was close to retirement and was fired (I guess that is what the P45 did).
    I find this very strange unless he was guilty of something pretty bad and since is is still accepted by the community, I doubt this is the case.
    I would expect that in real life this situation would be a labor lawyer's dream.

I put it all down to loose continuity by the writers, that we call the PW effect.

I think you are right. Whatever Roger did it wasn't so egregious that he wasn't able to take a part-time job in the same school. I don't think the writers focused much on the logic of his firing, but rather were concerned with Louisa's guilt and the shared "grumpiness" of Martin and Roger.

Still hope to see Roger and family at the wedding/christening in Series 6.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »

I thought they fired him just short of the time he needed to qualify for his pension. That's why Roger is bitter about losing his job. He is petitioning for his pension for health reasons. He missed the cutoff date to qualify for health reasons so he asks the Doc to back date the diagnosis. The earlier diagnosis date would preumably qualify him for the pension. The Doc says he can't do that, but to give him the forms and he would see what he could do. In the meantime, Louisa tries to set Roger up with the after school music gig. The Doc gives Roger the forms, but I can't remember if Roger mails them or not. We never find out what the Doc put on the forms.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    I agree that grumpy probably isn't the right word. Grumpy suggests getting out of bed on the wrong side, a transient emotion/behavior (or a small dwarf who sings with Snow White).

I tend to agree with PoorRichard that the terse, abrupt conversations Doc Martin has with recalcitrant patients often are justified and as the audience, we cheer because he's giving voice to our own thoughts.

But it's when Martin is cruel, withering, dismissive of those who are vulnerable, like children or Al petitioning on behalf of Pauline (still my cause of indignation), that the audience becomes angry on behalf of the victim and disappointed/frustrated with the Doc. It may be that his behavior, which seemed to increase in Series 4 and 5, is related to external events that are making him unhappy and he, in turn, takes it out on others.

For whatever reason, MC and the writers seem to think that this "grumpier" Doc is more interesting. For me, I'm looking for a balance. Not a chatty-Cathy Doc Martin, but one who chooses his targets wisely.

It's interesting that Martin verbally attacks so many villagers for minor issues. However, when his mother drops that major bomb of a conversation on him, he says nothing to her. Sure, he was shocked, but it would have been great if he reacted angrily to her nasty remarks. He was justifiably short with his father about selling his flat and paying Joan's "debt," but why is his mother such a sacred cow to him? If anyone deserved his ire, she did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's interesting that Martin verbally attacks so many villagers for minor issues. However, when his mother drops that major bomb of a conversation on him, he says nothing to her. Sure, he was shocked, but it would have been great if he reacted angrily to her nasty remarks. He was justifiably short with his father about selling his flat and paying Joan's "debt," but why is his mother such a sacred cow to him? If anyone deserved his ire, she did.

I think Martin was totally in shock. There had been a veneer of civility amongst the three of them that was ripped to shreds that weekend. He looked like he had been shot through the heart and the normally articulate Martin was left speechless.

Too bad Louisa couldn't give Martin's mother the dressing-down that she gave the surgeon who operated on Peter Cronk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that expects Martin to be much more adult and mature in relationship to his mother than he is. I think he has been a young boy craving her love from childhood; even his poem to Edith showed his attachment to his mother, and motherly love was still so urgent inside him. He is acting like a son to her. He allows her to be silent until he "forces" her to speak by actually strongly requesting she does.

Her words destroy him emotionally. While he knew they weren't close and his parents were difficult--"vile"--people, who would ever imagine that one's mother loathes one, despises one was born, and believes that one's very existence has ruined her life? That would hurt anyone with a heart.

To expect DM to react in anger or with a biting reply is, I feel, mistakes his personality. He simply does not have the capacity to do that to his mother, as his entire emotional world crashes down around him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that expects Martin to be much more adult and mature in relationship to his mother than he is. I think he has been a young boy craving her love from childhood; even his poem to Edith showed his attachment to his mother, and motherly love was still so urgent inside him. He is acting like a son to her. He allows her to be silent until he "forces" her to speak by actually strongly requesting she does.

Her words destroy him emotionally. While he knew they weren't close and his parents were difficult--"vile"--people, who would ever imagine that one's mother loathes one, despises one was born, and believes that one's very existence has ruined her life? That would hurt anyone with a heart.

To expect DM to react in anger or with a biting reply is, I feel, mistakes his personality. He simply does not have the capacity to do that to his mother, as his entire emotional world crashes down around him.

Yes, I agree with you. I don't think he was capable of lashing out at her verbally in that moment. In fact, I suspect he felt that he couldn't breathe. That's why he immediately went outside. It's unfortunate that LG happened to walk up at just that wrong moment. Having no idea what just happened, she chatted happily away as he tried to move away and, when she continued to talk, he lashed out at her. Obviously he wasn't angry with LG. He was devastated, unable to participate in a conversation, and needed space and air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, the more I think about what I wrote, the more I think it does give me a bit of a deeper inkling into LG.

Once DM correctly diagnoses LG off the cuff with glaucoma, saving her eyesight, I think she does see him, or wants to see him as her "Prince", or knight in shining armor. Someone she can finally love, being so "male" as she calls his conversation in S1E2, for which he thanks her, and someone she cannot deny she is physically and emotionally attracted to.

I think finding out rather quickly that he is not Mr. Perfect does upset her and push her buttons. No doubt she has always found something wrong with the people she's loved in her life, like Danny being too unstable in his decisions, and finding flaws existing fairly quickly in DM did upset her profoundly. She's getting older, she wants a man, she wants children, she wants a family, and DM, "on paper", seems a pretty good catch.

Fantastic doc, single, no kids, tall, good looking, broad shoulders, has money, Alpha male, competent--all things most women would be drawn to. Add in the undeniable chemistry and one can see that finding out he is going to stand out, not fit in, be rude, push patients/people away, have "combative" sentences he always has to win, etc. takes the shine off his armor.

She seems to then spend the rest of the series loving and desperately wanting him while being greatly irritated by those recurrent and escalating flaws. I think deep down she's just pissed he isn't Mr. Perfect and she realizes because of her being in love, she has to be with him anyway. You know, it's not just with her old, failed lovers; I think that is probably a theme in her life with loved ones--her mother, her father, Danny, etc. None of them are the perfect person in the role she's needed them to be in her life. I think she is super disappointed DM falls nearly immediately into that theme.

I can see why she tends to think the worse of him at times; she's thought the worse of all the failed relationships, and for good cause. It's probably an ingrained habit of hers by now. It's by no means helpful, or right, but it is understandable.

That makes sense. The repeated disappointments by the people she's loved, especially her parents, have resulted in a search for a Mr. Perfect, who, of course, doesn't exist. And an almost unreasonable desire to manage completely on her own. And the fact that she jumps to conclusions, expecting to be disappointed again and again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buddy the dog is quite the Lothario and likes 'em tiny with goofy names. Apparently Buddy has his way both with Carmen's lap dog, Sir Lancelot, and Carrie's dog.

I think the theme of this episode is "chip on the shoulder". Elaine has one regarding her mother's early death and her dad remarrying. Roger obviously has one about his being fired before his pension kicked in. LG has one, in regards to DM not being the marvelous, terrific, tall, handsome, caring, fitting into PW doctor she I think really wanted him to be, being attracted to him. That he isn't Mr. Perfect deeply upsets her, I think.

Buddy comes later. This is Gremlin. Well, in the show itself, he's just "the dog". You made me laugh by describing him as a Lothario. Yep, that's true. And he does tend to go for the tiny ones, doesn't he? Chihuahua Lady Lancelot, Yorkie Princess Tinkle. Know what's funny? When the dog romances little Lady Lancelot on the cliff, offscreen he lets out a long, low howl. Love it!

You're right about the chip on the shoulder theme. It's everywhere. Bad moods and chips on shoulders everywhere. DM even refuses to write Roger a prescription for "that chip on your shoulder".

I thought it was a very good, very enjoyable episode (aren't they all?). There's something I forgot to mention earlier. Even though Mark barely appeared in this one, I miss Mark. I'll probably keep saying that in comments about S1 and 2. I just miss Mark,.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still hope to see Roger and family at the wedding/christening in Series 6.

Me too, bookfan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Even though Mark barely appeared in this one, I miss Mark. I'll probably keep saying that in comments about S1 and 2. I just miss Mark,.

Me too. I think Joe Penhale is not a successful character because they've made him too buffoonish, and then occasionally do a 180 and have the character become thoughtful and insightful. No reflection on the actor. I just don't think the character is well-formed.

I think about Mark's actions when Peter Cronk is ill. Martin knows he can rely on Mark Mylow in a way that he can never depend on Joe.

Maybe he will be Martin's best man (just kidding).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I think MC does sometimes dye his hair blonde, but MC and DM are two different people. Well, okay, not exactly, but you know what I mean. I think.

OMG, MC and DM are two different people? :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I guess "grumpy" is a useful shorthand word for the darkening of his character, but I don't think it quite fits. But as yet, I'm at a loss to think of a more apt word.
    Me too. I think Joe Penhale is not a successful character because they've made him too buffoonish, and then occasionally do a 180 and have the character become thoughtful and insightful. No reflection on the actor. I just don't think the character is well-formed.

I agree with the responses given already to Bloodphobia's post by mmDerdekea, Biffpup and bookfan2, that Martin's breath is taken away. I'd just add that someone has taught Martin to think chivalrously toward women. He's chivalrous yet chauvinistic -- the two can coincide. He's spoiling to protect AJ against the man who has hurt her (John Slater) and gets accused of having 18th century ideas about relationships. He is appalled at Mr. Strain for pushing a pregnant woman over. His reaction is heightened because the woman is Louisa and she is pregnant with his child, but I think in principle he would have reacted the same had it happened to any woman. I fancy that Margaret, given her narcissism, has always been treated as a bit of a princess by the men in the family: "Martin" his father would bellow "don't annoy your mother." Margaret's nerves were always to be considered, Margaret's expensive clothes, and cosmetics and holidays were always provided for by Chris' money, which we learn is what sustained the marriage for 40 years after the birth of Martin, when the "spark" departed. So early conditioning would teach Martin to treat his mother as a princess. Later, when he learned of his father's undoubted philandering, I expect he saw his mother as the victim in the marriage. While he had his own issues with her as being constantly disappointing, withholding and icy cold -- enough for him to include her, together with his father, in the adjective "vile" which he uses to Roger Fenn --he probably continued to make excuses for her, continued to try to please/or not to annoy her, continued to be protective of her relative to Chris, whom he saw as the blackguard. This is how Martin treats his mother in S2E6 up till the scene where she rips his heart out. I do think that lines of solidarity are very interesting in Doc Martin, and that what happens during that weekend is that the lines of solidarity shift. Martin has that experience that a lot of adult children have as they begin to understand their parents as people and question the way they have interpreted the household dynamics that were at play when they were younger. Margaret certainly doesn't cause him to side with Chris, but SHE sides with Chris against him (you're certainly not like your father, he's at the top of his profession, handsome, even now), and so leaves him totally alienated from both his parents. She has not been a victim, a betrayed princess, excusable in her son's eyes for her coldness perhaps because of her suffering; she has been clinging ivy, because she is a grasping and thoroughly selfish woman. It is not just Martin's heart that she has ripped out; his whole view of reality has just undergone a major Gestalt shift. No wonder he is speechless.

I also agree with mmDerdekea about the disappointment Louisa feels. Why should we be surprised if she has difficulty with trust, since, as she tells Martin in S5, every time she has allowed herself to trust her mother, it ends with her being disappointed? "On the Edge" illustrates that the same has been true with her Dad. She has maintained a belief in Terry's innocence which Joan says verges on the delusional. But her delusion is shattered in that episode, with devasting results for her ability to trust. This is the way in which Louisa has been "damaged" and yet the innate virtue of her character has to do with generosity of spirit, so the cynicism she has learned as a defense mechanism doesn't really suit her. Hope, trust, and ready forgiveness are irrepressible in her, and that is that is the struggle we witness in Louisa, particularly in S4 -- will her hope prove buoyant enough? Or will her hope be subdued in the name of cynicism and self-defense causing her to turn her back on this man she loves as a "hopeless" case? I mentioned before the analogy I see between Doc Martin and the movie "As Good as it Gets." There is one line in that movie when Melvin and Carol are at the restaurant in Baltimore where Carol says something like: "I'm so afraid of what you're going to say right now. Just open your mouth and try not to spoil it --by being you." Melvin tells her that such cynicism doesn't suit her, it's not her style. I think that exactly applies to Louisa. She assumes the worst (is cynical) as a way of protecting herself from disappointment, but it doesn't really suit her. Her generosity of spirit inclines her much more toward "hoping all things, believing all things."

Re: NewPark, I think the words "ascerbic," "sardonic" and "bad tempered" are better descriptors for the Doc than "grumpy." "Grumpy" is someone quite likeable who's just in a bad mood. Ascerbic and sardonic mean that someone's personality is flavoured with notes both sharp and sour (like Kim Chee) -- that's the Doc for me.

Finally, mmDerdekea and Biffpup can have Martin's close cropped silver hair. I confess I get a little weak-kneed at the sight of Penhale, especially sans shirt. "In Perish Together as Fools" Penhale strips to the waist so that he can have some blood taken (?!) -- totally gratuitous. (Ta, Ben!) And afterwards THE DOC gets a hug from him, still shirtless (why not me?) Then there's Penhale in the shower and that hot scene with Maggie from S5 -- a "not well-formed" character, indeed, bookfan; I beg to differ! Actually I see what you mean, but please don't kick him off the show just because he's a nit-wit. He fulfills...other important functions!:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think not only does MC look older but so does CC.

Let's face it, neither half of our couple looked their best in S5 - and it wasn't that they simply aged. We've talked about how DM looked furrowed and angry most of the time - but CC was playing LG as totally knackered caring for JH. They deliberately made her look bad.

BTW, along with trashing the S5 DM PJs of steel, Louisa needs to bin that awful navy sweater! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acting Skills:

IMHO

What makes MC so very great is the emotion he can express with the slightest of facial movements - Colin Firth is a master at this too; then, something upsets their character and they
    ' turn on a sixpence ' and lash out.

MC did this in the first Doc Martin movie when he discovered his wife was cheating on him with THREE colleagues ( how COULD she...? ). He returned from the bathroom, having set a trap via their hospital pagers, watched the denouement and flash ! - upturned the table and strode from the restaurant with THAT walk.

He did it in W & M when Mary's ex reappeared on the scene; he just was not getting into that scenario...and surprised himself with his own hot-headed reaction ( and retreated )

We saw it again this week in ' A Mother's Son ' - when he pushes Ro away ( ' Get off me ! ' ) when she is trying to stop him going to the police...

Suddenly Mr Solid, Dependable and Reasonable reaches his breaking point and...Watch out !

Now I shall have to think of any occasions when he does this in DM...but he is not playing the same, solid, dependable, reasonable ' nice guy '...

Also

Who else acts with their walk/run ?

The way he strode from the restaurant ( detailed above ) in Doc Martin the Movie ( shoulders up and out, legs tight - a bit John Wayne-ish )

The way he swings his legs from the knee when leading the corteges in W & M and that - oh so-tight neat little turnabout, when he has to squeeze his large frame between the coffins of the three youngsters, clutching his top hat to his chest...

The whole of the DM physio - tight, tight, tight...

Not that I have been studying MC...not at all

• Options
    Forum Member
    a "not well-formed" character, indeed, bookfan; I beg to differ! Actually I see what you mean, but please don't kick him off the show just because he's a nit-wit. He fulfills...other important functions!:o

I would never deny you PoorRichard :)

But can we agree to share Colin Firth in "Pride and Prejudice" when he dives into the pond by his estate??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 1 Episode 2 "Gentlemen Prefer"

Written by Dominic Minghella
    Martin's surgery officially opens for business, but patients continue to treat it as a drop-in cafe. Former teacher Roger Fenn is hoarse and has a lump on his neck, so Martin refers him to a specialist for a biopsy. He is diagnosed with cancer and must have surgery which may cost the former singer his voice. Martin also sacks Elaine as his receptionist for her general attitude and incompetence after she inaccurately takes down the name or phone number of a boy with suspected appendicitis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are a few comments not covered by everyone else. (It is a short list!!!)

Series 1 has cups of tea for the patients!!
    MC hasn’t perfected his DM walk yet.
    DM has always had a problem saying “sorry”

Best line:
    LG: You always have a line don’t you. It’s like every conversation is a competition and you have to win it. It’s so...male
    DM: Thank you.

This is the sort of repartee that I have missed in the last series. DM is grumpy but I think it is the glimpses of humour that lifts it in the early episodes. I think.

Series 5 didn't have the humour to lift it. And I agree with Poor Richard's explanation:
    I think he was grumpy from the beginning, but what struck me was the care which was taken to get us, the viewers, onside with his grumpiness. In S1 he says out loud the things a lot of us would like to say (as to the woman at the hospital reception), but are too cowed by the rules of social politeness to ever utter. His rudeness is usually with provokation in S1 and we tend to be on the Doc's side, whereas there are times later on (like his curt "no" to Mark when he asks him to be best man (S2) or his slamming of the door in Al's face and unbending refusal to change Pauline's reference (S4) when most of our sympathy is with the person he has just abused or dismissed and our mouth hangs open in indignation that he just did that. The reason I think those moments don't feel so good to us, is that when the Doc becomes our surrogate mouthpiece we feel we are laughing with him -- cheering him on, as it were. When we are shocked and surprised by the Doc's rudeness at those other times, it is the writers/producers having a laugh at us (ie. getting a rise out of us)....Does that makes sense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally, mmDerdekea and Biffpup can have Martin's close cropped silver hair. I confess I get a little weak-kneed at the sight of Penhale, especially sans shirt. "In Perish Together as Fools" Penhale strips to the waist so that he can have some blood taken (?!) -- totally gratuitous. (Ta, Ben!) And afterwards THE DOC gets a hug from him, still shirtless (why not me?) Then there's Penhale in the shower and that hot scene with Maggie from S5 -- a "not well-formed" character, indeed, bookfan; I beg to differ! Actually I see what you mean, but please don't kick him off the show just because he's a nit-wit. He fulfills...other important functions!:o

You can have Penhale, poorrichard. He has a nice body, sure, but he really does nothing for me. I need the mind to go with the body. I'm all for DM! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIVIA QUESTION For S1E2:

Name the item in the episode which was an indirect reference to the multiple talents of Patrick Macnee?

(Patrick Macnee, my all time favorite actor, is best known for being John Steed of The Avengers.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you think that Martin's suits are supposed to be tailor-made for him? He take great pride in his appearance.

Louisa's clothes are definitely off the rack or ordered online. I could swear that several of her maternity dresses and sweaters were from Johnnie Boden, a British online firm. I don't know where she got that blue flowered shirtwaist she wears in episode 7 of the last series. It resembled a housewife dress from a 1950's sitcom.

Just wondering how they will handle money (she doesn't want to be a kept woman). But her clothing budget is a lot less than his :)
This discussion has been closed.