Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 18)

1130131132133134136»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh I'm deffo not counting any chickens just yet, for the time being I'm just happy Andy has improved his ranking points

I go for the important things ;):p

Although there's not much different between 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    okay now i've calmed down, I think I was being a bit biased, that would have been an awesome match if a british player wasn't involved, funny how murray can turn a great match into torture.

But it was an awesome match, Alex.

And I'd suggest very politely that Murray didn't turn it into torture. If anyone did, WE DID, in our appraisal of it as we watched it.

Various comments on here again when Murray is playing similar to when Henman used to play suggesting that people have some sort of expectation to see the top British guys win easily or belief that this is what SHOULD happen.

Where is this perception coming from that any player at the top, especially deep into Slams wins matches by just turning up and / or without ups and downs?

Is it because people get emotionally involved? So the prism for our appraisal of our player is very sensitive and seemingly over-focused on the points the player loses as opposed to those he wins?

Murray doesn't do it the difficult way; the whole thing IS difficult.

The margin for error on any point is tiny and especially when they are playing at such a high standard with vast power, huge spin and tremendous accuracy on their shots.

And if anyone says to me that F, N and D don't experience this, then I suggest they look again.

Although there are plenty of fans on here of Rog, Raf and Nole, I just don't think people dissect their performances with so much scrutiny.

That there are ups and downs, an ebb and flow, well that's tennis.

But give yourselves a break. Murray might not win everything but he wins most things and has done for some time.

With the current depth of standard on the Men's Tour. What I would suggest people look at is how Murray responds to bad points, games and/ or sets and it's usually very well.
    That history tells us that we should chill out a bit; if he gets broken, he'll break back (he has one of the best returns in the game); if he gets behind in a set, he'll come back (Bagdhatis at Wimbledon).

Or maybe we like the tension:D

There are a few bad days at the office or where he has gotten down on himself - Nadal Wimbledon Semi 2011. But Federer had one in the Semi - he lost.

As his mother pointed out, he has always been a good match player, working out how to beat people from the U12 age groups. And as Benjamini has pointed out above, you don't get to #4 or stay up there without winning significantly more than you lose.

Mac v Connors in the 1983 Wimbledon Final was as close as I've seen before or since (Connors' slaughter of Rosewall in 1974 maybe) to anyone at the top level playing perfect tennis - Mac made a fellow great look like a raw junior.

But this was absolutely the exception that proves the rule.

A 4 set win against a guy as good as Berdych is a fine win.

But it's meaningless as far as the final goes; that's a whole different story on another day.

If he comes out a few degrees off, like he did against Nole in Melbourne, he'll be in trouble. If he comes out blazing like he did in the Olympic Final, then good things may beckon.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,591
    Forum Member
    Tennisman pleasure as always to read your posts

I think you mean 1984 for Mac vs Connors - I'm such a pedant :)

the next 'best' performance since then was Pete vs Andre in 1999 (imo)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evidently my internet connection was so overwhelmed by tonight it conked out just as Berdych turned around the 4th set!!

Anyway, Murray seriously puts his fans through it all, although I didn't think he played poorly, but I think Berdych is actually one of the best players on tour, even with the tough conditions. If he could keep it together mentally, I think he could have had one if not two or three slams under his belt by now!! Thankfully for Murray he couldn't do enough!

Ferrer is such a good player and goes after everything... I think Djokovic was shocked that he wasn't already a set up so panicked and lost it. They so should have let ferrer have his last service game.... I would have been pretty mad that I couldn't finish the set! But I guess I would rather no one got hurt! I really hope Ferrer can keep it up when the match resumes... Or at the very least take it to 5 sets to tire out Djokovic!!

Either way... Apart from the abrupt ending, tonight was actually really good! Things are going towards Murray's favour, but remember that days off don't always help (cough, cough, Federer)!! But I really hope he can do it... Then go on to win Australia and Wimbledon, with Ferrer winning the French inbetween! :D Perfect 2013 here we come!
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tennisman pleasure as always to read your posts

I think you mean 1984 for Mac vs Connors - I'm such a pedant :)

the next 'best' performance since then was Pete vs Andre in 1999 (imo)

Well spotted, Mike.;)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope Sky update their EPG to mirror the schedule changes. I am out all day and want to record the women's final, but I don't even know what channel Sky will put it on.

Well done Andy :) I think this US Open will be his. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Sky update their EPG to mirror the schedule changes. I am out all day and want to record the women's final, but I don't even know what channel Sky will put it on.

Just hope they don't put it behind the red button!
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say it was an enjoyable evening but what a result. When the chips were down in the tie break he was mentally very tough just like when he won the tie breaks against Lopez.

I hope I can see the final as I am due to fly out to the US early Tues.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy for Andy. If Ferrer manages to keep it up tomorrow and wins then it would be the perfect final for me as I wouldn't mind either way who wins. Be nice for Andy to finally get a slam title but David is my favourite male player so would be very happy if he could do it. Has to beat Novak first though :p

Disappointed as well they have decided to put the women's doubles final on Louis Armstrong. I feel sorry for the players not getting to experience the final on the main court where it should be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does help Murray a little bit to have the extra day's rest, but I think this stuff tends to get exaggerated. It might swing a few percentage points Murray's way, but no more than that.

You only need to look back at how Djokovic won the Australian Open this year after his marathon match against Murray in the semi-final.
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    It does help Murray a little bit to have the extra day's rest, but I think this stuff tends to get exaggerated. It might swing a few percentage points Murray's way, but no more than that.

You only need to look back at how Djokovic won the Australian Open this year after his marathon match against Murray in the semi-final.

We don't know that's it's Djokovic Murray will face on monday, though that is probably the most likely outcome, he may be lossing right now but that's likely cos of the wind, when he's back on court tomorrow I reckon he'll be back with a vengeance and storm the match. Assuming he does win, Murray does have a chance (you can't get to the final and not have a chance of taking the trophy) but Djokovic will likely be the favoruite.
  • Options
    Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably safe to say it will be Sky Sports 1, they've got it listed as the men's final from 21:00 (which clearly wont happen) and the womens is due to start at 21:30.

Don't blame me if they change it though :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know that's it's Djokovic Murray will face on monday, though that is probably the most likely outcome, he may be lossing right now but that's likely cos of the wind, when he's back on court tomorrow I reckon he'll be back with a vengeance and storm the match. Assuming he does win, Murray does have a chance (you can't get to the final and not have a chance of taking the trophy) but Djokovic will likely be the favoruite.

My only worry about Djok is that when things don't go his way, he doesn't produced his best tennis amd seems to get more flustered. Plus it depends how physically and mentally exhausted Djok will be from his Ferrer match....
  • Options
    TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't watch any of the set but from seeing the wind in the Murray match it has to be a leveller and Ferrer took advantage of that , damn shame that the match couldn't carry on , obviously now expect Djokovic to come out in calmer conditions and do the buisness.
  • Options
    TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ferrer does somehow manage to see off Djokovic the pressure for Murray would definatly be ramped up a bit as he'll be expected to win , doesn't bear thinking about if he were to lose to Ferrer in the final.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    Just hope they don't put it behind the red button!

Heck, don't say that! :eek:
    Mr Jazzman wrote: »
    Probably safe to say it will be Sky Sports 1, they've got it listed as the men's final from 21:00 (which clearly wont happen) and the womens is due to start at 21:30.

Don't blame me if they change it though :p

Sounds logical. I shall give them until the morning to update their EPG, otherwise I'll manually record the whole day on Sky Sports 1.:) Thanks. :)
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 71,267
    Administrator
      Admin Notice: This thread is continued here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=61017589#post61017589
    This discussion has been closed.