Options

Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    cityprod wrote: »
    It's not a disclaimer, it's fact. It's basic human psychology. On any subject matter, 20% of the people will not care about it one little bit. 20% will care about it passionately, and the other 60% will be somewhere inbetween. Radio is one of those subjects that I happen to care passionately about. At the other end of the scale, I couldn't care one bit about Military History

Okay, hang on a minute. You're asking me out of that 20% that doesn't care about it, how many would be genuinely concerned? Err, the answer would be none of the 20% that doesn't care about it.

Well, I'm not a regular listener, but when I have tuned in, it pretty much always sounds slightly forced and sometimes, really forced. But Capital are certainly far from the only station that has this, just about every presenter across radio, does this at some point, and it sounds horrible, no matter who does it or at what station.

So - let me just get this absolutely right, because you've clearly got the numbers game sewn up - it's now a fact that 20% of people care passionately about Capital's "made famous" strapline?

I do hope Richard Park can sleep soundly tonight.
    And by the same, always reliable statistics, 60% (the majority) will be "somewhere in between". Or to put it another way, indifferent. Mildly annoyed. Mildly not bovvered.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if Capital TV is likely to come to cable? I've only seen its launching on FTA satellite
  • Options
    cityprodcityprod Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    And by the same, always reliable statistics, 60% (the majority) will be "somewhere in between". Or to put it another way, indifferent. Mildly annoyed. Mildly not bovvered.

No, indifferent means they don't care.

You think you're picking apart holes in my argument, what you are doing, is showing how little you actually understand the human condition. Seriously, spend some time studying human behaviour and psychology. The commercial radio industry would benefit immensely, from learning just how their output is really interepreted by listeners. The industry is riddled with misconceptions, because the Programme Director will project their own values onto the research they do, instead of learning what the values of their listeners are, and learning how to communicate in those values.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Jacksite wrote: »
    He's been playing extended mixes of songs ever since his remixes were axed in May.

Does anyone know what he's using to mix? CDJ's?
    He uses Abelton Live, somebody asked him on twitter months ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really hope after Capital live from Ibiza that Global will maybe restart James Barr In The Mix or even bring the Mixtape forward . There was talk about Andi's show being on earlier....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MattJW wrote: »
    I really hope after Capital live from Ibiza that Global will maybe restart James Barr In The Mix or even bring the Mixtape forward . There was talk about Andi's show being on earlier....

Maybe if they can find a full time sponsor...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    It's long, long, long overdue. A start would be to get shot of that pervy old bloke who does the jingles.
    ink171 wrote: »
    i agree. Sounds like some old guy in a raincoat that lurks in the bushes! :eek:

Howard Ritchie's voice is starting to get a bit irritating now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -ajm- wrote: »
    Maybe if they can find a full time sponsor...
    True, It's (In my opinion) early yet, anything can happen. Global might be playing with Capital's listeners and seeing who listens more to Andi Durrant's show compare it to James Barr's mix's. If that makes sense.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on holiday in central Scotland and to be honest I have capital on in my car. I just wish I could get it in my car in Suffolk without a dab radio.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    They've got a load of regional drive presenters doing overnights eg. Leigh Jones from SW
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cityprod wrote: »
    No, indifferent means they don't care.

You think you're picking apart holes in my argument, what you are doing, is showing how little you actually understand the human condition. Seriously, spend some time studying human behaviour and psychology. The commercial radio industry would benefit immensely, from learning just how their output is really interepreted by listeners. The industry is riddled with misconceptions, because the Programme Director will project their own values onto the research they do, instead of learning what the values of their listeners are, and learning how to communicate in those values.

Mate, I don't need to pick holes in your argument. You do a fine job of that yourself.

But thanks for the GCSE Media Studies view of the real world. I hope you got the grades you wanted.
  • Options
    chipmanchipman Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Mate, I don't need to pick holes in your argument. You do a fine job of that yourself.

But thanks for the GCSE Media Studies view of the real world. I hope you got the grades you wanted.

Good god that is patronising, I think a valid point is raised in that it sometimes it must be hard to think like a normal listener when you are in a position such as a Programme Director. They have to remember there are station-flickers who will want more music and less waffled and there are those such as people at work who will want fewer repeats.

I think Capital sounds great at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Capital sounds great at the moment too, which is an indication that the PDs have got the nouse to know what their listeners want. My gripe with cityprod is that he said he thought almost every Capital link sounded "forced" - and earlier, that he disliked the "made famous by Capital" line. I argued against both of those points. Only for cityprod to launch into some quote from a social studies textbook rather than addressing the points that I made.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    What is it with the terrible radio edits they've been playing recently?

On Florence + The Machine 'Spectrum', they completley remove vocals from some of the chorus and on Wiley's 'Heatwave' they've practically re-arranged the whole song :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member

On Florence + The Machine 'Spectrum', they completley remove vocals from some of the chorus and on Wiley's 'Heatwave' they've practically re-arranged the whole song :eek:

They have?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else here the Jingle "Capital, New Years e" today around 1pm? lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed with the Spectrum radio edit, terrible and unnecessary, but Wiley's Heatwave hasn't been touched as far as I'm aware?
  • Options
    chipmanchipman Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    According to comparemyradio.com, Capital's playlist has expanded a bit in the last month or two. They were playing just 145 unique tracks per month before and now it's over 200. I haven't been able to listen as much recently - how's it sounding?
  • Options
    df118df118 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    chipman wrote: »
    how's it sounding?
    Tinny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Much better the bassman played classic David guetta last week "when love takes over" he had just given away tickets to see him though but it does appear that capital have got the message and are playing tunes from the last 5 years or so
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ally_b11 wrote: »
    Much better the bassman played classic David guetta last week "when love takes over" he had just given away tickets to see him though but it does appear that capital have got the message and are playing tunes from the last 5 years or so

There's loads of good tunes from 2008 they could still play which are still relevant to today's style.
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    df118 wrote: »
    Tinny.
    [Applause]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    df118 wrote: »
    Tinny.

Grow up.
  • Options
    df118df118 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    RedRoost wrote: »
    Grow up.
    and stop telling the truth? Never.

Capital as a station is sounding quite good.
    Its ear bleeding compression lets it RIGHT down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I am on holiday in central Scotland and to be honest I have capital on in my car. I just wish I could get it in my car in Suffolk without a dab radio.
    There are much better stations in Scotland compared to Capital Scotland. All the DJs are highly irritating just like the whole network of Capital DJs.