Options

Remember 9/11

occyoccy Posts: 65,247
Forum Member
✭✭
I can't believe it's been 11 years since the tragic day. I still remember to the day I was out in the garden mowing the lawn and wife called me to tell me a building was on fire in New York, and that's when it all started to happen...

Comments

• Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think anyone old enough to remember it will ever forget that day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it vividly, it was on a Tuesday, I was on a tea break at work and someone got a text saying planes had flown into the twin towers. Surreal.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,278
    Forum Member
    :confused: Why do we have to do this dance every single year?
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    While it is a day that will never be forgotten, I do think it has started to feel like it happened in a different era now.

I was at school when it happened, and in the days of no Facebook/Twitter and fast mobile internet, I and the rest of the students didn't find out until we got home. These days the news would spread like wildfire across people's phones instantly. That more than anything makes it seem older.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    whereas it was a dreadful event and an appalling loss of life i can`t say i shed tears, then or now.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bit vague? what year?? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    Yes. It was only 309 days ago.
  • Options
    Dolly_DimpleDolly_Dimple Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worlds biggest Jenga game.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Edna Cinton story still fascinates me.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I and a thousand others were picked for the BT trial ADSL { 512 kbit/s } which started July 1999 in london - by june 2001 only 0.6% of people using the internet in the UK are thought to connect through an ADSL line.

by 11th of September 2001 I really dont know how people on dial up was able to do anything as even I was unable to download the BBC news page so I had to switch to all sorts of sites.

I had ONdigital { ITV Digital } and that was already set to BBC 24 News so it was a big shock when they switched to New York and knowing the World Trade Center complex I knew that it was not on a flight path so could not work out why they ' at first ' were claiming it was a accident.

I sent my brother a e-mail telling him to get to a TV {as he was in his office} as I was sure it was deliberate - of course its only later did we find out there was innocent passengers aboard who must have been terrified.

The World changed that day so it should never be forgotten.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I am not about to forget that day!! I was there and it was a Nightmare.
  • Options
    Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..The sad thing is, absolutely 0 lessons have been learned from it. You'd think such a tragedy would initiate a new-era of dialogue between America and the Middle East but instead of sending cultural envoys to build bridges they sent B-52s.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why, what happened on the 9th of November?
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP to all those who died on 9/11
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a a pocket TV in my glove box, so I got it out and took it into the office.

As the people in the office gathered round me, to see what was happening, the MD walked in, so I went to hide the TV, but he just said "No, don't put it away. Keep it on".

There we were, the whole office, managers and all, gathered round a pocket TV, watching the events unfold.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until yesterday I forgot all about it.

And later today I'll forget about it again.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Heikoworld wrote: »
    I am not about to forget that day!! I was there and it was a Nightmare.

:( I can only imagine how horrific it was for you.

I thought my parents were there - all I could remember was them saying 'we're coming back from NYC on 11th' and I didn't know if they meant landing home on 11th or actually leaving. It was a frantic afternoon trying to get in touch not knowing if their mobiles were switched off or if they were over there with no phone signal.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember going to a "bad taste fancy dress party" around Christmas of that year.

Two guys were there dressed as skyscrapers - elaborate costumes fashioned out of cardboard boxes.

Another guy at the party (who was Muslim, incidentally) was dressed as an aeroplane.

At various points throughout the evening, the Muslim guy ran towards to the two skyscraper guys with his arms outstretched and crashed into them.

They won the prize for the best costume.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Until yesterday I forgot all about it.

And later today I'll forget about it again.

No you will not.

Not thinking about something actively all the time isn't the same as forgetting. Else when I started this thread I forgot not only my birthday date but my own middle name. Neither of which I have thought about in ages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Else when I started this thread I forgot not only my birthday date but my own middle name. Neither of which I have thought about in ages.

I thought occy started the thread? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought occy started the thread? :confused::confused::confused:

I meant post
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    The Edna Cinton story still fascinates me.

Oh My God!!! That gave me such chills!!!

I was nine months pregnant and watching it live and the people waving from the windows drove me to tears, seconds later the tower came down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant post

Ah I see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can not possibly forget my FB wall is a wash with people posting up pictures, telling me never to.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you will not.

Not thinking about something actively all the time isn't the same as forgetting. Else when I started this thread I forgot not only my birthday date but my own middle name. Neither of which I have thought about in ages.

I won't forget it 100% like a mind wipe, I just don't think about it and hadn't done for a good while until yesterday when it was mentioned so in essence I did "forget" but I'm not arguing semantics. :p