Options

What happened to the orange tmobile 3G share?

Comments

• Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,465
    Forum Member
    What is CDMA? I've read it in articles before, but don't know what it is/does.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CDMA is an alternative to GSM.
    It doesn't use SIM cards, instead you basically port your phone number onto the phone itself (they use an equivalent to IMEIs in lieu of SIM serial numbers).

As a 2G technology, I believe it offers some benefits over GSM but it's 3G successor (EV-DO, IIRC) is pretty poor compared to HSPA - much slower.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Except if you travel to the states a lot of course in which case it's pretty cool!

Not even then, as you can't enable the hardware for roaming AFAIK.

It only has value to people who buy the iPhone on one of the two CDMA2000 networks in the US (or possibly a few other countries if they sell it as a CDMA2000 phones). Those versions can have the GSM/UMTS radios turned on though for international roaming.

Someone above says that CDMA does not have SIM cards. They do, they're called RUIMs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removable_User_Identity_Module

No US network implements them though as that would potentially lead to freedom of choice (since you won't have to sell your XYZ phone on network A and buy it again on network B). We can't be having that now can we?
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Interesting article here http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3380205
    I think most of this is very ill informed.
    Firstly it's stated EE won't roll out very fast. Rubbish!, most of the EE network has LTE kit installed ready to go.
    Because the 1800mhz network is already established it really is just a case of reallocating some frequencies and throwing the ON switch. Just read another report saying the EE engineers reckon they'll roll out extremely fast. I suspect for this very reason.
    As for the 42 available bands, as Step666 says, only a handful are used so not a problem to produce a phone to support these surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At the end of the day LTE wouldn't be my main reason for getting an iPhone 5 anyway. By the end of next year ALL EE cells will have HSPA+ giving us what I reckon will be the best 3G network on the planet!
    No, I want LTE to get a decent speed in my house. I have an accessible 2G signal but crap ADSL and the dongles and LTE routers that appear will obviously be compatible. Here's to over 10Mbps instead of 1.3 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone know when the EE thing is happening today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you.
    Right, so I'm gonna have to wait at least till the end of next year but probably mid 2014 then.
    Now no so concerned that the iPhone 5 will have 1800mhz LTE. So that's the pressure off then. Here's to HSPA+ :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2204462/everything-everywhere-rolls-out-uks-first-4g-network-from-today

Looks like Orange and T-Mobile users will have to switch to EE to get 4G. The "tease" in the last paragraph does suggest the iPhone 5 might be compatible!

We'll all know tomorrow. My god, it's like Christmas and a Birthday all at once :D
  • Options
    chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All very interesting, so the network name will be changing (on phones at least) to EE for all normal (read 2g and 3g) T-Mobile and Orange customers too.

Not the most imaginative name in the world :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, a couple of things I've gained from this:

It'll eventually all be the EE brand (I think they'll do away with the Orange and T-Mobile names at some point, but they'll keep them for now because people know the names)
    If you're a new customer, I'm assuming you won't sign upto Orange or T-Mobile as such anymore, but they'll be the names of your plan(?) (for example, the 'Orange Works Plan on EE', or the 'T-Mobile Full Monty on EE')

I wonder what options they'll give to those in current contracts who would like to access 4G.

Also, one for somebody who knows these things... When they say that 4G is being switched on in cities, does that mean that it's the city and no more, or does that include the surrounding area? I.e. I live about 10 miles outside of Cardiff, which is one of the first to get switched on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So for someone who lives in the South but not Bristol, Southampton or London I don't really have to care about much apart from 21Mbit HSPA (don't know if they did this before) and that the network name on my phone will change.

I'm not going to rush out and buy an LTE phone then...

It looks like they've included the EE logo in their press pack. It looks awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    It'll eventually all be the EE brand (I think they'll do away with the Orange and T-Mobile names at some point, but they'll keep them for now because people know the names)
    If you're a new customer, I'm assuming you won't sign upto Orange or T-Mobile as such anymore, but they'll be the names of your plan(?) (for example, the 'Orange Works Plan on EE', or the 'T-Mobile Full Monty on EE')

I wonder what options they'll give to those in current contracts who would like to access 4G.
    Here's part of the press release: 'Orange and T-Mobile plans will still be available to everyone, and our existing customers will also be among the first to be given the opportunity to move to 4G with the new EE customer brand.'.

So it seems that they will continue to sell contracts under the Orange and T-Mobile brands.
    But it also seems that the only way for people on those two brands to get LTE is by moving across to the new EE brand.

Plymouth's said that if he hears anything more, he'll pass it along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would all this have to be put on hold if the other networks launch some sort of legal challenge? Or is that it now? This is actually going to happen regardless of what O2 and Vodafone do?
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Here's part of the press release: 'Orange and T-Mobile plans will still be available to everyone, and our existing customers will also be among the first to be given the opportunity to move to 4G with the new EE customer brand.'.

So it seems that they will continue to sell contracts under the Orange and T-Mobile brands.
    But it also seems that the only way for people on those two brands to get LTE is by moving across to the new EE brand.

Plymouth's said that if he hears anything more, he'll pass it along.

Do you think they will offer discounted upgrades to get people into EE?
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2204462/everything-everywhere-rolls-out-uks-first-4g-network-from-today

Looks like Orange and T-Mobile users will have to switch to EE to get 4G. The "tease" in the last paragraph does suggest the iPhone 5 might be compatible!

We'll all know tomorrow. My god, it's like Christmas and a Birthday all at once :D
    the way I read it all was they are re branding all Orange and T-Mobile stores to be EE stores and they are switching all Orange an T-Mobile customers over to EE and you will soon see EE on your phone without doing anything
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lamby wrote: »
    Do you think they will offer discounted upgrades to get people into EE?
    No idea.

I'd be surprised if they did to be honest, I would imagine the new brand will have it's own unique range of tariffs that will likely be pretty non-negotiable as they'll have the leverage of being the only tariffs on sale that include LTE data.
  • Options
    lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andybno1 wrote: »
    the way I read it all was they are re branding all Orange and T-Mobile stores to be EE stores and they are switching all Orange an T-Mobile customers over to EE and you will soon see EE on your phone without doing anything

That's how I read it too. In fact, that's just what it says on wrexham103.4's link to the EE press site; http://www.everythingeverywhere.com/2012/09/11/everything-everywhere-launches-ee-a-new-company-a-new-network-a-new-brand/
  • Options
    chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as they protest the Orange and T-Mobile brands will stay, I really doubt they'll be around for much longer.

They've said the name will change on screens to EE by the end of the year, I wonder how long it will be til they start the changeover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New website here if you want the register for updates www.ee.co.uk
    The only thing I can say about that is its bloody easy to type.:)
    God awful design though. Hideous in fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aah... somehow I'd missed that they would be selling fibre optic broadband as well.
    Anyone know who they're re-selling? BT or Virgin?

I can almost see myself going for an all-in-one style deal with home broadband and mobile.
  • Options
    wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aah... somehow I'd missed that they would be selling fibre optic broadband as well.

I can almost see myself going for an all-in-one style deal with home broadband and mobile.

I would assume, given their current deal with BT for standard ADSL broadband, that it would be BT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Orange already has deals with BT Wholesale for broadband provision so it might be a continuation of that. http://www.zdnet.com/orange-outsources-broadband-network-to-bt-3040088678/

Besides, Virgin's clapped out old network only covers a fraction of the population with no plans to expand and the only investment is in Olympians to advertise it. (and AFAIK Virgin does not allow others to resell, or provide wholesale access to their network because they don't want to. They're the first to whinge when BT isn't being totally co-operative though)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Check out this BBC item at the EE launch. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19543042
    Rory's getting 4 meg on 3G but the other Guy is on 33 Meg!
    Bear in mind though that he's the only person in the UK on it Hahahaha!
This discussion has been closed.