Options

Freesat not getting More4 HD and Film4 HD

derek500derek500 Posts: 24,895
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/sky-customers-to-enjoy-comprehensive-access-to-the-best-of-channel-4

No surprise to me, as I've been saying for years that if they come to satellite they'll be pay.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    excellent news for SKY HD subscribers though :D
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Booooooooooooooooo! Whats a HD feed cost above an SD one? I would have thought that with Film Four you could make a case to simply end the SD version in a year or two
  • Options
    kerrykerry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    This press release is basically informing the public on the forthcoming addition of extra Channel 4 services to the the Sky Digital platform. A whole lot of back slapping going on there. In announcing a new agreement between two leading digital media providers, I don't think informing the public on the availability of alternative options would be high on their agenda. Also there is also a lot of other stuff covered there I.e. online content & Sky's viewership monitoring which would not be applicable to Freesat.
    There are two ways of looking at this. Channel 4 are over the moon on the new deal with Sky & an announcement re Freesat will follow or this deal re HD content is exclusive to Sky (I didn't see exclusive mentioned anywhere). Maybe I'm in denial
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Film 4 have just replied to my tweet asking about Freesat, they have said that Film 4 HD is Sky and Virgin only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kerry wrote: »
    There are two ways of looking at this. Channel 4 are over the moon on the new deal with Sky & an announcement re Freesat will follow or this deal re HD content is exclusive to Sky (I didn't see exclusive mentioned anywhere). Maybe I'm in denial

Doesn't need to say exclusive, just who's getting them.
    Two new High Definition channels, Film4 HD and More4HD, to join Sky+HD. Following on from the launch of Channel 4 HD and E4 HD, both of which first launched to UK viewers through the Sky platform, two further channels will become available to Sky's 4.3 million high definition customers for the first time - Film4 HD and More 4 HD.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Sky so I'll be getting the channels but it's still disappointing. Freesat needs more HD above the 4 channels that have to be FTA and NHK World HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    I have Sky so I'll be getting the channels but it's still disappointing. Freesat needs more HD above the 4 channels that have to be FTA and NHK World HD.

It is disappointing, but in the end it's economics.

C4 is struggling with falling ad revenue so they need to supplement their income other ways.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment whoever launches a HD channel on the freesat platform would have a fairly easy job getting viewers as long as the content was fairly good and not just upscaled programmes from years ago given they would be the fifth entertainment channel in HD. Amazes me none of the broadcasters have seen this as an opportunity and jumped aboard even if it was a timeshare/ part time channel showcasing programmes from their network - UKTV HD, DISCOVERY SHOWCASE, CBS HD, even HAPPYSLAPPERS HD would do :D - okay maybe not the last one lol.

All I can say is that bed the are all cosying up in at Sky HQ must be pretty big.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh well lets atleast hope we get QVC HD :)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,630
    Forum Member
    Tobias. wrote: »
    At the moment whoever launches a HD channel on the freesat platform would have a fairly easy job getting viewers as long as the content was fairly good and not just upscaled programmes from years ago given they would be the fifth entertainment channel in HD. Amazes me none of the broadcasters have seen this as an opportunity and jumped aboard even if it was a timeshare/ part time channel showcasing programmes from their network - UKTV HD, DISCOVERY SHOWCASE, CBS HD, even HAPPYSLAPPERS HD would do :D - okay maybe not the last one lol.

You're missing the rather obvious thing you're ignoring - any such channel has to be financially viable to do so, the greatly increased costs of HD means that it's unfortunately not very viable to broadcast FTA HD.

By being part of the subscription package you get money from Sky Subscribers - going FTA would mean that they would lose that money, plus have to pay Freesat and Sky for EPG inclusion, plus the increased costs which Sky will probably be paying (or at least partially) for broadcasting etc.

It's a sad fact HD costs MONEY - subscription charges make it possible.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Film 4 HD, yes but I can't say that it will be any great benefit to have More 4 in HD.
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least 4oD is coming to Freesat by Christmas.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tobias. wrote: »

All I can say is that bed the are all cosying up in at Sky HQ must be pretty big.

I assume the main reason is, lack of income,those you mention are all 'pay' it may look good to the viewer, but would be a dead loss to the supplier.

Plus I think there is still more SD sets than HD at the mo.
  • Options
    Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And when is this all meant to be happening?

Seems Sky is fast becoming a monopoly!
  • Options
    blisteringblueblisteringblue Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    As a recent "dumper" of all things Sky for economic reasons I can't see myself going into the "pay" TV market for a while.

This was the 1st month I've not paid close to £110 for TV and phone etc and no amount of HD comes close to making it worth that.

Freesat and a fiver to lovefilm and there is more than enough HD to watch.

OK I miss the footy, but there are ways and means if I'm desperate ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member

That reminds me of the "200 channels" farce.
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    It is disappointing, but in the end it's economics.

C4 is struggling with falling ad revenue so they need to supplement their income other ways.

Was it not you derek500 who posted, Film 4 a load of old films not worth watching or was that some other sky poster when I said I like the channel Film 4
  • Options
    blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a big HD fan and discuss it with a few people. There seem to be two camps the "can't see the difference" camp and the "HD is amazing and worth paying for" camp. I guess broadcasters like ITV (2, 3 & 4 HD), CHANNEL 5 (with 5 HD) and now Channel 4 feel they might as well have the extra revenue from being part of Sky's package as those wheo watch will feel the service is worth paying for.

I wonder how long it will be before Channel 4 HD and ITV1 HD cease to be free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter05 wrote: »
    Was it not you derek500 who posted, Film 4 a load of old films not worth watching or was that some other sky poster when I said I like the channel Film 4

Don't think so. I used to subscribe to Film Four, but I must admit I've rarely watched it since it became ad funded.
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how long it will be before Channel 4 HD and ITV1 HD cease to be free.

I wonder as well, Film4 HD, channel 4 HD, ITV HD no benefit to sky, But they would pay just to stop over half the uk getting It, Just shows what sort of company sky are rotten to the core:mad: I hope Ofcom can do something about sky
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter05 wrote: »
    I wonder as well, Film4 HD, channel 4 HD, ITV HD no benefit to sky, But they would pay just to stop over half the uk getting It, Just shows what sort of company sky are rotten to the core:mad: I hope Ofcom can do something about sky
    What ??????

Film4 HD has been a Virgin exclusive for for years, I think you best course of action is to contact the broadcasters and ask them why they cant afford to air their HD channels for free. Instead of entering your default mode of anti-Sky rants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    but remember there,s a narrow beam coming that film4 HD be little down the track for freesat
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares if Film 4 HD is on freesat or not in this day and age when you can get, even Sky box office movies online, let alone old Film 4 movies?

I stopped watching Film 4 when they went HD exclusive on Virgin and have not missed a bit!
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well thats disappointing but not totally unexpected at this time.

Hopefully in the future they will become FTA. I have no doubt in the long term most free channels will be in HD, its just a matter of how long it will take. I think the big change will be when Sky stop the monthly HD subscription, as there will be less money in the pot to pay channels to be encrypted.

@derek500 You seem to be in full on gloat mode in here, wouldn't you feel more at home in the SkyHD forum? Here you come over as a troll who is basically here to rub the fact you have access to a load of channels HD in the face of people who cant afford (Or just wont) to pay for them.
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which Christmas though? :D