Options

Deal Or No Deal - Fans Noticing The Decline

Comments

• Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also sure that Noel said he'd quit before they did any celebrity specials. Lo and behold this year.....I refused to watch them.

Will they do the Christmas stars again this year? I loved those
  • Options
    BigDave888BigDave888 Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deal or No Deal is my most favourite show and always will be. In my opinion, the show has got better and better and still delivers with fantastic games. Noel is amazing at his job and no-one could replace him. No other show has that sense of community and get to know these players for a month or so. I really hope Deal continues for a long time to come, no other show could replace it.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is the first Anti-Deal thread that actually has a logically written and good opening post :)

I agree, it used to be one of my favourite shows, used to rush home from work to catch it, even saw a recording back in 2009 (Newcastle to Bristol, what a trek!) But, sadly, it has went down the X Factor route, contrived, full of sob stories and more pointless talk as opposed to game.

I do like the Deal or No Deal thread and it's sad that a lot of the regulars have left, I still enjoy the box game in there, but have little interest in the actual show any more.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loon wrote: »
    I'm also sure that Noel said he'd quit before they did any celebrity specials. Lo and behold this year.....I refused to watch them.

Will they do the Christmas stars again this year? I loved those

The "celebrity" special that really made me angry was the one with Olly Murs. He'd previously appeared as a regular contestant in 2007 when he won virtually nothing, the same as he did the second time. Now Noel is continually fond of saying to people that it is their one and only ever chance they will get in the chair to play DOND, oh unless you become a so called celeb in the meantime, then the rules can be broken it seems. I was not impressed. But what really made me mad when Murs appeared and won nothing but pennies for charity was how he was allowed to end the show by suddenly singing his new single, which was utter rubbish, in a self serving promotion, thus totally undermining any charitable intent and proving the cynical nature of the exercise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is the first Anti-Deal thread that actually has a logically written and good opening post :)

That's nice, thanks for saying so. I'm not anti the show, but a fan who is exasperated by how it has evolved, like many fans are. But often the best critics are those that like something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigDave888 wrote: »
    Deal or No Deal is my most favourite show and always will be. In my opinion, the show has got better and better and still delivers with fantastic games. Noel is amazing at his job and no-one could replace him. No other show has that sense of community and get to know these players for a month or so. I really hope Deal continues for a long time to come, no other show could replace it.

Dave, although I've outlined my gripes with it, which I think are fair, it is the one and only game show I ever watch. I think Noel is supreme at what he does and the show has been much mis-understood by those who claim it's just about opening boxes. So as huge fans, when we speak, and criticise it, I think our views are more valid than those who have never liked it, never watched it, or simply can't stand Noel.

To the person above who mentioned the Christmas Stars I would say that it would be nice to bring back Eamon the turkey this year, I've missed him, and players grasping up his behind! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I used to like DOND and would watch it - it wasn't a must see though, was on at the wrong time of day for it to be unmissable as I would either be coming home from work or making dinner or something but would catch it if I could.

I haven't watched it properly in a year or so. Only time I have is when I have heard about a big win and then I will just go on youtube or 4OD and watch the end on there.

I can't be doing with a lot of what has already been said, especially the sob stories and, while I do like Noel, his preaching about the games really has started to et boring. As has the early deals.

As said, C4 can't help the early deals but maybe they could shake the show up and do what they do in the US and end the game after the player has dealt. Once they have dealt, just find out what they had in their box and then move onto the next player. Obviously that would mean they would have to roll games over into more that one episode when they run out of time but it would be much better than watching the pointless "play on as you would have" sequence.

That's one idea anyway. Without some major shake up on the format though, I doubt I will ever be a regular viewer again.

I saw the first ever Deal or No Deal , it was in decline even then !
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noel is doing his job.i don't think for a second he enjoys filling time,but he does what he is told.the waffle to fill time became very noticeable when the extra advertisements were introduced.credit to noel who attempts to inject some energy when I would have died of boredom long ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one and single thing i have always been struck by on this show is the false friendliness and gushing tributes to players as someone already mentioned.

It has always amazed me how friendly people are when there is easy money to be made.I find it rather perverse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    Noel is doing his job.i don't think for a second he enjoys filling time,but he does what he is told.the waffle to fill time became very noticeable when the extra advertisements were introduced.credit to noel who attempts to inject some energy when I would have died of boredom long ago.

I've been wondering about all this apparent extra chatter and jesting about that now goes on. Perhaps it always did from day one, except that they had the good sense to edit the show into it's older 45 minute run time, whereas now at a whole hour in length, including the ads, they have simply kept in the show the kind of banter that was once cut out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anielled wrote: »
    The one and single thing i have always been struck by on this show is the false friendliness and gushing tributes to players as someone already mentioned.

It has always amazed me how friendly people are when there is easy money to be made.I find it rather perverse.

"I'm really going to miss you" :rolleyes:

How many times has this been said? At least once per episode it feels, and from people that have only just met and spent a few nights in a nearby hotel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I've been wondering about all this apparent extra chatter and jesting about that now goes on. Perhaps it always did from day one, except that they had the good sense to edit the show into it's older 45 minute run time, whereas now at a whole hour in length, including the ads, they have simply kept in the show the kind of banter that was once cut out.

no I think the time wasting is so obvious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no I think the time wasting is so obvious.

I was trying to be generous to the production crew, but I suspect that you are infact quite correct.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    "I'm really going to miss you" :rolleyes:

How many times has this been said? At least once per episode it feels, and from people that have only just met and spent a few nights in a nearby hotel.

The best ones are when a young 20 something says that to a 60+ year old. Clearly have nothing in common but 'i will miss our little chats'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could imagine myself in the contestants situation,away from responsibilities enjoying the hotel,I would be feeling contented and be friendly with the others and in that happy environment could get close to them and gush when I open a box for them etc.
  • Options
    Ian K McIan K Mc Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many people watch it as I do. I record it on Sky plus. Then move through the recording at x30. I am only really interested in finding out if the player got a better deal than is in the box. I suppose it means that I watch it for no more than 10 minutes a day.
    However I feel that there are too many episodes on a year. I thought the live shows were much better than the pre-recorded ones. In the 60s and 70s games shows were only on once a week for part of the year. I think that it is time for a new game show on channel 4.
    But then they have Countdown which is even older!
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    The industrial length episodes are what did it in for me. It was dragged out enough at 45 minutes and it should not require a full hour to open 22 boxes
  • Options
    jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped watching the show a few years back because it always ended up with the same result... and every time I've seen it since it's the same.

The player seems to be doing quite well, will either deal early and end up with a high number in the box or play on and go home with a low number.

The other thing that really annoys me about it is when Noel "This CANNOT be the Quarter Million..." then it is. It obvious he is getting told what's in the box .
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i must be easily pleased because i really like it
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could imagine myself in the contestants situation,away from responsibilities enjoying the hotel,I would be feeling contented and be friendly with the others and in that happy environment could get close to them and gush when I open a box for them etc.

Would you rush over to give them a kiss though? It annoys me when the contestant is planning to use the money for a wedding, with their partner sitting in the front row, yet they embrace all the box openers as if they're the one going to be putting the ring on their finger!
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the sheer stupidity of the people on it that irritates me so much these days. I was hooked for the first year, but I haven't watched it regularly in the last three or four years. It's tired and about time it ended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jw2011 wrote: »
    The other thing that really annoys me about it is when Noel "This CANNOT be the Quarter Million..." then it is. It obvious he is getting told what's in the box .
    There may be many criticisms of Deal Or No Deal but I absolutely accept the total integrity of the game. No way does Noel know. Coincidences happen. Every single game begins with the same line about all the boxes being sealed by the independent adjudicator and they being the ONLY person who knows where the money is. In this respect it is likely one of the most honest games on TV ever. No computer screens to be manipulated backstage. The result is the result, end of.
  • Options
    BillKayBillKay Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    Loon wrote: »
    I'm also sure that Noel said he'd quit before they did any celebrity specials. Lo and behold this year.....

You are correct, and he also said some years ago that he would never work for Sky. Lo and behold......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Deal or No Deal reminds me a bit of Millionaire.It was a good show at the start but playing it five days a week constantly becomes tiresome
  • Options
    SRWSRW Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone rolls overtoo easy now and I just want a MALE 250K WINNER FFS!!!