Options

Do Sky have to replace a faulty SkyHD box?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon79 wrote: »
    My Skybox has always had a high pitched whine to it when it boots up and records but now i'm getting many "broadcast interrupted" messages only when i record programmes (showing as PART REC under my planner) I'm pretty sure the hard disk is on it's last legs and probably has many bad sectors in it.

What's the best way to get a new sky box without having to give Sky more money other than threatening to leave?

Very simple thing to remember here, if you bought the box from sky new then its expected to last an acceptable amount of time, which for electrical items is longer then a year, there really is no argument sky could put up if your box is not that old.
    Also if a box dont work then your not going to pay subs and for many one months subs is almost the cost of a call out, its a no brainer really, are sky really gonna argue ?
    Its all about being pleasant on the phone, keeping your cool and persevering if the conversation is not going your way and ensuring you speak to the right person.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, SOGA provides cover for goods bought for up to six years – in England and Wales. This means if a TV fails after 13 months, you still have rights. Assuming the item has failed through no fault of yours, and it was "reasonable" to expect it to last longer – given its cost/quality – you should demand, under the Sale of Goods Act, that it be replaced or repaired by the retailed, not the manufacturer. Once the item is six months old, the onus is on you, the consumer, to show the item failed as a result of a manufacturing fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    However, SOGA provides cover for goods bought for up to six years – in England and Wales. This means if a TV fails after 13 months, you still have rights. Assuming the item has failed through no fault of yours, and it was "reasonable" to expect it to last longer – given its cost/quality – you should demand, under the Sale of Goods Act, that it be replaced or repaired by the retailed, not the manufacturer. Once the item is six months old, the onus is on you, the consumer, to show the item failed as a result of a manufacturing fault.

I use a guideline as follows.

up to 1 year warrenty
    1-2 years would go for brand new replacement and at the very least fixed for free
    2-4 years repaired free
    Over 4 years... well you have to accept your unlikely to get it fixed although Dom Littlewood may disagree that even after 4 years you could get it fixed for free.
    It depends on the item, for static electrical goods then you would expect to have a decent amount of time before it went wrong. For something like a mobile phone its a bit more difficult as there is the issue of the user being responsible by neglect e.t.c.
    My i-phone went wrong after 18 months and got a brand new one as they could not fix it, I had no warrently. But think that was the exception to the rule and even I would be lucky to get a mobile fixed or replaced after warrenty runs out everytime.
    On the other hand my washing machine went wrong after almost 3 years and got a new replacement.
    It also depends on where you buy it, smaller local retailers give a better pre-sale service but its more difficult to get things fixed or replaced. Thats why for larger more expensive electrical goods I alway buy from the big retailers.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,538
    Forum Member
    I use a guideline as follows.

up to 1 year warrenty
    1-2 years would go for brand new replacement and at the very least fixed for free
    2-4 years repaired free

I suggest you consult Trading Standards, who will explain the realities behind your delusions :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest you consult Trading Standards, who will explain the realities behind your delusions :p

Well I am living proof thats correct, TV's, washing machines, sky boxes, just a few things I have had brand new replacements for long after a years warrenty. My microwave I bought from argos went wrong after less then 2 years, come out of argos with a brand new replacement, no questions asked. :)

As I said Dom littlewood is the consumers friend and the retailers nightmare. He even had all the details up on the BBC website at one stage telling people how to ensure they get items out of warrent fixed or replaced free of charge.
    I already knew that electrical items have to have an acceptable lifespan but did not know the ins and outs of it until he cemented the details.
    Larger retailers dont normally worry anyway, never even had to quote the rules, they just replaced my washing machine FOC without even an argument, one reason why I always buy from large retailers, far less hassle if things go wrong.

If someone bought a 1500 quid TV and it went wrong after 18 months do you really expect them to just throw it away and buy another or pay our hundreds of pounds to get it fixed?, more fool anyone who does this.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am living proof thats correct, TV's, washing machines, sky boxes, just a few things I have had brand new replacements for long after a years warrenty. My microwave I bought from argos went wrong after less then 2 years, come out of argos with a brand new replacement, no questions asked. :)

As I said Dom littlewood is the consumers friend and the retailers nightmare. He even had all the details up on the BBC website at one stage telling people how to ensure they get items out of warrent fixed or replaced free of charge.
    I already knew that electrical items have to have an acceptable lifespan but did not know the ins and outs of it until he cemented the details.
    Larger retailers dont normally worry anyway, never even had to quote the rules, they just replaced my washing machine FOC without even an argument, one reason why I always buy from large retailers, far less hassle if things go wrong.

If someone bought a 1500 quid TV and it went wrong after 18 months do you really expect them to just throw it away and buy another or pay our hundreds of pounds to get it fixed?, more fool anyone who does this.

I don't think Nigel was questioning the SOG act, but your thinking that you get a free replacement upto 2 years.

YOU may have managed it (after all, who's gonna bother repairing a £30 microwave wneh it's easier to swap it), and some stores might find it easier to just swap for new, but that is not what you are entitled to, they are only obliged to fix the item, or supply a reconditioned unit, not a brand new unit after, i think, but may be wrong, 6 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Nigel was questioning the SOG act, but your thinking that you get a free replacement upto 2 years.YOU may have managed it (after all, who's gonna bother repairing a £30 microwave wneh it's easier to swap it), and some stores might find it easier to just swap for new, but that is not what you are entitled to, they are only obliged to fix the item, or supply a reconditioned unit, not a brand new unit after, i think, but may be wrong, 6 months.

You need to re-read what I wrote, I said I would GO for a brand new replacement or the very least fixed.

A lot depends on the retailer and the cost but the consumer has protection on electrical items having an acceptable lifespan. The point i am making is.. be a brand new replacement or fixed its at no cost to the consumer.
    Many people think after a year they have had it and in fact thats totally not the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to re-read what I wrote, I said I would GO for a brand new replacement or the very least fixed.

A lot depends on the retailer and the cost but the consumer has protection on electrical items having an acceptable lifespan. The point i am making is.. be a brand new replacement or fixed its at no cost to the consumer.
    Many people think after a year they have had it and in fact thats totally not the case.

I don't need to re-read anything, i know what you said, i was merely pointing out what Nigel was saying to you, not what i was saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Again, I refer you to Trading Standards and the SOGA - neither of which state 'at no cost' after the initial 12 months, nor a new replacement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    You are still paying them money. If this happened to me, I would tell them that they would not be receiving another penny from me unless I got it fixed for free.
    Sky get enough of your money each month.

Do you just hate ALL things Sky or what ?
  • Options
    ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    ktla5 wrote: »
    No, I see what he means, you buy a Sky box OK, but you pay a sun to watch some of the channels.

You buy a receiver to watch Freesat, but if that fails, you have to buy a new one, Freesat won't give you one

Sky do 'give' you a box, but it is yours not theirs.

I have TOM TOM, if I want to keep it updated I have to subscribe to the map sub, but if my TOM TOM breaks, they will not give me a new one, even if I ask nicely, and have 8 months to run on my map sub !

The difference is that Freesat won't be losing any money if you don't have a working Freesat box. Sky would be, hence they are more willing to provide a free callout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, I refer you to Trading Standards and the SOGA - neither of which state 'at no cost' after the initial 12 months, nor a new replacement.

So basically your saying Dom littlewood is giving out incorrect information to millons of people when he says an electrical item has to have an acceptable lifespan and the retailer by law has to replace or repair. And its by a total coincidence that me and I guess millions of others have had items go wrong long after a years warrenty and have had either replacements or repaired FOC. The law around ths is wolly but thats why people like Dom Littlewood sort it out and let the public know their full rights.

So if someone bought a TV from you and after 18 months it went wrong what would you do.

Replace it
    fix it for free
    fix it for a cost.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clatter wrote: »
    The difference is that Freesat won't be losing any money if you don't have a working Freesat box. Sky would be, hence they are more willing to provide a free callout.

Indirectly they will, if boxes fail, and no one replaces them, no one will watch, thus the shine will fall away from FS.

As you say it's to SKY's benefit to give a free call out and keep the subscriber if possible, but they don't have to, which i think was the original question
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if someone bought a TV from you and after 18 months it went wrong what would you do.

Replace it
    fix it for free
    fix it for a cost.

would be number 3 :)

in fact if you buy a TV from TESCO, they will only change it for a new one within the first 28 days, after that it's a repair job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TOM TOM would though, and they don't come with a new one for you. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swills wrote: »

in fact if you buy a TV from TESCO, they will only change it for a new one within the first 28 days, after that it's a repair job.

Funny you should say that as a friends kindle started to flicker, no hassle straight replacement, not sure how long she had it but certainly longer then 28 days, she got hers before I got mine. So unless tesco have a specific rule on just TV's then guess they also apply the hassle free replacements on electrical items that fail.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Funny you should say that as a friends kindle started to flicker, no hassle straight replacement, not sure how long she had it but certainly longer then 28 days, she got hers before I got mine. So unless tesco have a specific rule on just TV's then guess they also apply the hassle free replacements on electrical items that fail.

My Mrs took a faulty Hoover from work back to Argos, it was older than 28days but still in warranty, she was told they don't replace them, they had to ring the number on the Hoover then the repair centre picks it up an repairs it.

The odd exception where a new replacement was offered would be feesable to believe, but I would have a problem believing anyone who claimed they get all their faulty electrical equipment replaced with brand new models after the warranty has run out, especially if it's long after the years warranty has run out.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    The odd exception where a new replacement was offered would be feesable to believe, but I would have a problem believing anyone who claimed they get all their faulty electrical equipment replaced with brand new models after the warranty has run out, especially if it's long after the years warranty has run out.

general rule is don't believe much of what geordielady says.
    she (or maybe it's a he) has a track record of making stuff up, getting caught, and getting banned for a short time.

the problem is that even is she does say something that is true, many will not believe it due to her previous track record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So basically your saying Dom littlewood is giving out incorrect information to millons of people when he says an electrical item has to have an acceptable lifespan and the retailer by law has to replace or repair.

I'm saying listen to the professionals (Trading Standards), and what the law says (SOGA) - and not some dodgy entertainment guy on the TV.

And also don't misquote what Don says, presuming he's quoting the correct legal position? (which I presume he will be).
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You pay for the channels not the hardware to get it on. I need a TV to watch Sky1, but Sky won't give me a new TV to carry on wtaching when mine packs up
    ? Of course you pay for the hardware as well. Only at the moment they are classed as 'free" but you are just paying for them via your subscription.
    In order to use your Sky subscription you need a working decoder.
    Quite why you brought a TV up I don't know?
    chenks wrote: »
    tell that to the people using non-sky equipment then!
    also, i'd like to see you try using a handset locked to, for example, O2 on a T-mobile network.

the bottom line is that the box belongs to you, thus if it fails (out of warranty) it is your responsibility.

if you go in with the right attitude then usually sky will offer a free repair, but if you go in with the wrong attitude (one that is of entitlement) then don't expect to get anywhere.
    I didn't even know that was possible. I thought that you needed a Sky branded decoder to receive the Sky TV service.

On the handset, I have a smartphone from Orange and I can use it on all networks. You just need to know what to do/where to go. I unlocked mine myself.
    Sure this invalidates your warranty, but what use is a phone under warranty that you cannot use.
    On what grounds do they 'owe you' ??
    I did not say they owe you. I just said that I would not be willing to give them money for a service that I was incapable of receiving.
    Of course it does, but it's normally supplied by Sky and without it you cannot get their channels, in which case they won't be getting the subscription fee.
    My point exactly. This is why leasing VM's boxes are better. You do not own them, but you do not need to pay for a new one if they break. Personally I do not see the need to own the receiving equipment. Years ago I could see the point because it allowed yo to watch satellite TV without having a subscription, but now Freesat boxes are cheap enough to buy.
    Do you just hate ALL things Sky or what ?
    Common misconception. I do not hate Sky. I just do not believe they are always the best option, unlike some.

Why do you keep comparing Sky, a service that you pay for in monthly instalments, to buying a product that you do not then have to pay for after the initial purchase?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you keep comparing Sky, a service that you pay for in monthly instalments, to buying a product that you do not then have to pay for after the initial purchase?

i think the basic reasoning was that without a working TV you cannot watch Sky.

a TV is just as much a requirement as the sky box is - both items you own. if the TV fails you cannot watch Sky but you still need to pay your subs.

those who buy their sky box outright still pay the same subscription rate, so no subsidy is being paid in those circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because if you read the thread properly, you will see that the reply was in relation to a specific question about a TV:

Replace it
    fix it for free
    fix it for a cost.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm saying listen to the professionals (Trading Standards), and what the law says (SOGA) - and not some dodgy entertainment guy on the TV.

And also don't misquote what Don says, presuming he's quoting the correct legal position? (which I presume he will be).

So you never answered my question on what you would do:)

There is no misquoting Dom Littlewood, he justs lets the consumer know whats what so the consumer dont get caught out and are aware of their legal rights. I have never read the trading standards or anything else and have no interest in it, all I know is legally an electrical item has to have an acceptable lifespan. What that lifespan is I guess is open to debate but thats the law.

I am all for supporting local small retailers but would never buy expensive electrical euipment off them simply as if things go wrong they may not stick to the letter of the law or may not even be aware of it (something DL actually pointed out) and going through trading standards is not something I really want the hassle off. Big companies mostly use the customer is always right principle, sometimes you have to push a bit but normally they dont want the hassle.

I guess Dom littlewood must be disliked by so many small retailers but why should the consumer be the one to foot the bill if an item is defective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you never answered my question on what you would do:)

We would meet the legal obligations - nothing really to answer.

There is no misquoting Dom Littlewood, he justs lets the consumer know whats what so the consumer dont get caught out and are aware of their legal rights. I have never read the trading standards or anything else and have no interest in it, all I know is legally an electrical item has to have an acceptable lifespan. What they lifespan is I guess is open to debate but thats the law.

If you haven't read the SOGA, or spoken to Trading Standards, then that explains why you're (presumably) misquoting what Dom says.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We would meet the legal obligations - nothing really to answer.

If you haven't read the SOGA, or spoken to Trading Standards, then that explains why you're (presumably) misquoting what Dom says.

Spin it how you want Nigel but DL states it in a simple way so people like me dont have to get involved with trading standards laws and understanding them.
    All we need to know is what the law is and what we need to do if that law is not applied by a retailer.

We have had this disagreement before so doubt we will agree now :), guess it will be tested if I buy an electrical item that goes worng and the retailer wont replace or repair it free for me.