Options

Is Lana Del Rey the most talented star of the last few years??

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting article http://dishmag.com/issue131/music/14113/the-rise-and-fall-and-rise-of-lana-del-rey/
    Extract "Once her name was cemented as the next big thing for 2012, Del Rey released a professionally crafted music video for the title track of her album, Born to Die. Instead of having another hand-crafted music video, this project was financed by a major label; filmed in a castle in France and directed by seasoned veteran Yoann Lemoine, who previously directed music videos for Taylor Swift and Katy Perry." :p

I have not read the aricle yet, but I will do. What I want to say now is, do you think Lana was interested in the commision work of Yoann. I think she was more interested in his cult video look up on youtube Yoann Lemoine.

Something is further interesting on this record. The string section is quite good, why? because she is a friend of the conducter of a large american symphonie orchester and they played the strings on the record. Something more, why put a record label so much money for an artist because they want money in return und for a debut because they believed in this record.

(It's quite interesting a paralele to Adele's 21. Whenn she got finished the record, XL didn't know what to do with it. Richard Russel made the suggestion to promote it for free (maybe an urban legend) to raise her fans . But Adele did go to Sony and they knew what to do this record. It was for Sony that much worth that they halt the promotion and scheduled it after the holiday season)

And so is it with Lana's label they knew they had a diamond, they knew they had to got her to London for a year, a diamond with some faults, but a diamond.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Lana definitely wanted to work with Lemoine because of his amazing 'Iron' Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkb0kDacjs
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone seems to be looking really deeply into her and deconstructing everything but I just don't look at it like that.

In response to the op's question, I think she's one of the most talented stars in the last few years along with several others. I love her songwriting, her aesthetic, the accompanying visuals, just everything really. She'll always be a risk when it comes to performing live but I think it's stage fright that gets to her. I've seen her perform at smaller venues and she was just fantastic, brimming with confidence and stage presence. But then she's easily had some awful performances like SNL and gigs that involve big audiences. She seems to be improving though.

And the fact that a Taylor Swift fan is trying to slam Lana's writing ability is the best thing I've heard all day :D

Not that I am meaning to defend Taylor Swift, she's like the performing abortion of the Dixie Chicks, but I don't think she's ever felt the need to sing songs written by Fame Academy Titan Davie Sneddon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theshane wrote: »
    Not that I am meaning to defend Taylor Swift, she's like the performing abortion of the Dixie Chicks, but I don't think she's ever felt the need to sing songs written by music Titan Davie Sneddon.

Or Justin Parker for that matter. I mean, who had heard of him? Failed professional footballer from Lincoln who had never written a hit song in his life. Didn't stop him helping Lana write imo one of THE songs of the last 10 years. I think it's important not to be too snobby about who you work with in this industry, you never know what will come of it, it may be great (as Video Games and National anthem were). And Sneddon helped pen 3 stellar tracks on Hurts' debut album so he clearly knows what he's doing.

Let's not forget one of our mutual musical heros once collaborated with Sir Cliff Richard :eek: :D
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone seems to be looking really deeply into her and deconstructing everything but I just don't look at it like that

As there is alot of constructing in the persona of Lana Del Rey (by herself & her confidantes) it's obvious people are going to try & deconstruct it.It's all part of the hype surrounding her (in a similar way that Lady Gaga was hyped / marketed as well).It's always going to a part of how 'Lana Del Rey' has been created.It's always going to divide peoples opinions about her.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I am meaning to defend Taylor Swift, she's like the performing abortion of the Dixie Chicks, but I don't think she's ever felt the need to sing songs written by Fame Academy Titan Davie Sneddon.

It was a co-write between them both and she claims she wrote every line bar one. Though why should it matter when the track turned out fantastically? If National Anthem had awful lyrics then fair enough.. but it's a standout track to many, so I don't think it matters where he came from.
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Or Justin Parker for that matter. I mean, who had heard of him? Failed professional footballer from Lincoln who had never written a hit song in his life. Didn't stop him helping Lana write imo one of THE songs of the last 10 years. I think it's important not to be too snobby about who you work with in this industry, you never know what will come of it, it may be great (as Video Games and National anthem were). And Sneddon helped pen 3 stellar tracks on Hurts' debut album so he clearly knows what he's doing.

Let's not forget one of our mutual musical heros once collaborated with Sir Cliff Richard :eek: :D

There's a slight difference between the guy who sung 'Move it' and not being Lemar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a slight difference between the guy who sung 'Move it' and not being Lemar.

Rewind 54 years and you would probably have slagged Cliff for singing an Ian Samwell song. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there is alot of constructing in the persona of Lana Del Rey (by herself & her confidantes) it's obvious people are going to try & deconstruct it.It's all part of the hype surrounding her (in a similar way that Lady Gaga was hyped / marketed as well).It's always going to a part of how 'Lana Del Rey' has been created.It's always going to divide peoples opinions about her.

Oh I understand the fascination and the science behind her rise to commercial success, really I do. The only thing that irritates me is that people use it as an excuse to bring down her ability as a writer, artist, musician etc when to me, the two things are seperate. You've either got it as a songwriter or you haven't, no amount of manufacturing can give you that ability. To be honest though, it seems the fascination with her beggining's has died down abit. I don't hear it mentioned as much as when she debuted with Video Games. I like to think she's really proved herself as an artist and people are getting over whatever it is they have a problem with.
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to think she's really proved herself as an artist and people are getting over whatever it is they have a problem with.

Not yet & no (she's gained a new audience more than anything).Major Labels are notoriuos for not allowing artistic freedom these days, anyway, even for artist's with proven ability (always subjective anyway).
  • Options
    benana93benana93 Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the great things about Lana is that if she leaves the music industry it'll be because she chose to, not because she isn't talented enough. If she isn't successful as an artist in her own right she can always fall back on being a songwriter, particularly with her rather massive back catalogue of unreleased material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She could release an album of unreleased songs a year for the next decade without writing another song lol. And the amount of detractors is actually a good thing - every successful artist has them, the more successful they are the more detractors they attract. It was always thus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sammami wrote: »
    Yes dear... They co wrote the music with her, the instrumentals, not the lyrics.

so you think writing a song is just writing lyrics do you :confused:

She co-writes simple fact.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,396
    Forum Member
    Most talented? No

Most tedious? Yeah
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet & no (she's gained a new audience more than anything).Major Labels are notoriuos for not allowing artistic freedom these days, anyway, even for artist's with proven ability (always subjective anyway).

We'll have to agree to disagree because I think she's definitely proved herself as an artist and I'd argue compared to most that she has alot of artistic freedom. Like I said, I rarely hear people talking about her beggining's anymore, her songs and music videos have become the talking point and I believe she's gonna keep delivering the goods.
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member

At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, co-writing is still writing.

It's quite obvious that Lana is the brains behind the songs, even if she needs a little bit of help with the arrangements, they're still her songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They didn't even say that though? That poster was highlighting that she wrote the lyrics and they helped her put the song together.

As does nearly everyone in the pop game at the moment. You've chosen to completely ignore that Lana stated she wrote every lyric on the album bar a couple. She's wrote 2 whole albums and countless other songs by herself prior and post Born To Die.

She has co-wrote and wrote by herself. Simple fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's like someone said she is the brain.

Look at your beloved Rush do you think Neil Ellwood Peart the lyricist composed all parts of an album? I think not, simple fact.

Are they therefore lesser worth than Prince or Lenny Kravitz who can write, produce, compose and play the instruments on an record alone if they want to. I think not, simple fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It make sound ridiculous, but a new leak :eek:

Fake Diamond

http://lanadelreyfm.tumblr.com/post/31736997634/i-just-want-you-to-want-me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seriously, just how many songs do you think Lana has written and recorded demos of?? It probably runs into hundreds. She's the gift that keeps on giving....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know:confused: I don't pursuit Kesha or Jessie J but I have heard, they can also provide generations of musician with songs.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still think Carmen and Lolita are her best songs.

Re: her writing involvement, let's not be silly - she's not a chameleonic artist like Kylie or Madonna. Her lyrics and style are all over the album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    It's like someone said she is the brain.

Look at your beloved Rush do you think Neil Ellwood Peart the lyricist composed all parts of an album? I think not, simple fact.

Are they therefore lesser worth than Prince or Lenny Kravitz who can write, produce, compose and play the instruments on an record alone if they want to. I think not, simple fact.

Neil writes the lyrics, alex and geddy the music, but when your talking about legendary bands like Rush then its a little bit more involved then that. neil would have to work close with geddy fo the bass/drums parts of the songs which are such a unique signature of Rush compositions. Songwriting is a complex procedure but the big rock band normally have a set proven formula that they have stuck with for years/decades. In Rush's case Neil dont get involved in the creation of the music only in creating the final composition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They didn't even say that though? That poster was highlighting that she wrote the lyrics and they helped her put the song together.

That poster was indicating LDR writing lyrics meant she was the major songwriter

No one is saying LDR is not talented but she dont write her own songs and she is not the most talented female of the last few years by a long way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yawn. It's a sign there's not much happening with Adele at the moment (for obvious reasons), GL. Is Lana your new 'target'? :p