Options

Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 4: The Power of Three- 22/09/12 19.30 BBC1

Comments

• Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    How long have you been watching for? Adric for one. Katarina, arguably has companion status as does Sara Kingdom. Peri was technically dead before a cheesy backpedal...

I only started watching doctor who when Christopher eccleston was the doctor so a lot of the references and in jokes go over my head.

Thanks everyone for your answers
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutley dreadful, can the once great Doctor Who sink any lower? A mythical race from the Doctor's past, which we have never before heard about in 49 years, suddenly appear and are then dispatched within five minutes, the Doctor waves his magic wand and brings everyone miraculously back to life, like previous posters have said, with no ill effects, no reason given for people being kidnapped, no explanation of what happened to them, the space ship just suddenly blows up................... utter drivel.

As a matter of interest what was the last episode of Who that you really enjoyed --just for comparative purposes ?
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVE the scenes where the Doctor's brilliant
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought last week's was one of the best ever episodes. People have different opinions.

I liked this weeks, but I thought last weeks was slightly better as well. But as eggshell says "its great how diverse opinions can be" - so i think you misunderstood their point somewhat.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    How long have you been watching for? Adric for one. Katarina, arguably has companion status as does Sara Kingdom. Peri was technically dead before a cheesy backpedal...

And more recently there has been River Song and Astrid Peth, although neither were/are full-time companions.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Absolutley dreadful, can the once great Doctor Who sink any lower? A mythical race from the Doctor's past, which we have never before heard about in 49 years, suddenly appear and are then dispatched within five minutes, the Doctor waves his magic wand and brings everyone miraculously back to life, like previous posters have said, with no ill effects, no reason given for people being kidnapped, no explanation of what happened to them, the space ship just suddenly blows up................... utter drivel.

Wasn't there 7 ships though?
  • Options
    Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    And so we have just one episode left with the Ponds. It's really happening, isn't it?

Tonight's episode was the best love letter to Amy and Rory that could have been written. And I found it really touching when the Doctor spoke about how they were the first faces that his face had seen. It makes me feel so depressed now because there's only 45 minutes left. :(
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what was the last episode of Who that you really enjoyed --just for comparative purposes ?

Surprsingly enough written by the same person - "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship". It had a proper structure, made sense and for one of the very few times over the last few years did not have a cop out ending, the Doctor took decisive action against the bad guy.
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Zygon ship under the hotel" - !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. thought it was mostly good, but let down by a few points. The baddies were just background really, but it still annoyed me that they still should have had a better 'dealing with'.

It was like- oh no - they just gave heart attacks to 1/3 of the entire earth. You'd have to assume most would die within minutes- since they were mostly just out in the street. Medical services would not be able to cope. Then, at the very least, about half an hour later, after some farting about, the Doctor just 'un-heart' attacks them all.
    They could have at least made the time between the heart attacks happening, and the 'un-heart attacks' happening a hectic 10 minutes, possibly in real time, possibly not, with the Doctor running around trying to fix it all before everyone's hearts had stopped for too long. OR at least explain it by saying the cubes had some sort of magic heart healing button or something. That was a big plot point let down for me.

The baddies on the spaceship weren't really good enough either. Well- not really that they weren't 'good enough'. They seemed like they could quite powerful adversaries, but they 'weren't really there', it was all automated. That just wasn't very probable. Unless we see another episode with them in some time soon, that explains a bit more then then we have to assume that the cleaner's-up of the universe just sent out a bunch of automated ships, with cubes on them, to take out any race of beings they didn't like.... for some reason that they thought was a good one .....in another dimension..... One of those races of beings being the humans.

I know the main part of the episode was about the doctor and his relationship with his in-laws, but you can't just throw something in there, in the middle of it all that they are dealing with, one minute kill 1/3 of the human race, the next minute a few buttons are pressed and it's like 'phew- every one is alright now'. ( That was VERY like some of the RTD style stuff we used to get ) So- although, to me anyway, the episode still probably comes in at above average rating, those little niggles are what is bringing the mark down from being excellent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I'm not. There were plenty of people on here who didn't (and indeed still don't) get that Vincent and the Doctor was very little to do with cgi chicken-monster. ;)

And yet the cgi chicken-monster was the best thing about that particular story........
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Goodness, people take these Dr Who episodes so seriously!

I thought it was quite good, it certainly had me gripped all the way through! I was on tenterhooks when the cubes opened!

Personally I loved the RTD feel.:o I love a good Earth invasion every now and then :o

I must nitpick though. The ending was rather poor, much too abrupt, and I missed exactly how the Doctor brought everyone back to life? Surely they would all be brain damaged?
    Why didn't the Doctor simply drop Amy and Rory back off at the same time that he took them? Only explanation I can think for this is so they didn't age considerably?

I think I'll give it ... 3.5/5. Good, gripping episode. It lost a .5 due to the unresolved questions....

Next week's look good -
    except I really didn't like that Moffat changed how the Angels work in the last Angels two parter.

agree. so many people looking for problems to poke at it
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it.

Before the episode I was watching "The Waters Of Mars" from 2009. I was thinking haw different the show feels now and then I watched this episode and it was if an old friend had returned. It felt like an RTD episode. Which is good because as much as a I love the show as it is I do miss the RTD days. When everything was just slightly overdone.

With this series I feel Moffat and Co have properly found their feet. There have been no dud, they have all been rather good, they have all been completely different. Last series was a little confusing for my old brain.

Talking of RTD. I would love him to come back and write an episode.

Ken
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought most of it was very good, not quite excellent (for poll purposes) as I never liked the massive-scale RTD world invasion scenario with billions of people being affected we used to get, small and local is so much more menacing...anyway, the scenes between The Doctor, amy and Rory were terrific and having Kate show up was good too. Does anyone remember what she was doing in Downtime? Apart from living on a canal boat with her son, and not speaking to her father that is? She must have changed tack pretty much in the interim.
    I do think the Doctor could have made the point that the vast majority of his companions actually made it back safe and well, as opposed to just saying 'some' did, but I suppose that's nitpicking when he's obviously foreshadowing what's going to happen.
    The other thing is Amy and Rory being obviously away for months at a time, as far as we know that's never happened before, even when the Doctor didn't have full control over the TARDIS, has it, as that's part of the point of having a time machine? Having said that, wasn't Rose missing for a year or something?
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    A heart attack doesn't have to mean death, does it?
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ratings
    Asylum of the Daleks= 8/10
    Dinosaurs on a Spaceship= 7/10
    A Town Called Mercy= 6/10
    The Power of Three= 9.5/10

Not for the first time, my feelings towards an episode seem to be at odds with general feeling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amy also didn't defibrillate the Doctor right. Aren't you supposed to put the pads on the chest with the left one above the right one?

these stupid mentions on these threads are really startting to grate me now, the scene was about her detribalising the Doctor, it wasn't a documentary on how to de-fibrillate someone.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet the cgi chicken-monster was the best thing about that particular story........

oh please, I'm all for diverse opinions, but that is just nonsense and you know it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was Alan Sugar not retired? 10 years is a long time. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    asylum of the daleks was on a completely different level to the others, there seems to be so much emphasis on how they look (and they really do look good) but whats happening to the scripts?
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No but lack of oxygen means brain damage
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorr wrote: »
    http://www.fab1.net/t-hawks/a-craft.htm

Everyone knows that the best way to deal with alien cubes, is to defeat them in a game of noughts and crosses with a troop of zeroids - one voiced by Windsor Davies !

Just been reading about terrahawks - sargeant major zero was rather fond of using the battle cry "Geronimo" - moffats inspiration is becoming clearer!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    oh please, I'm all for diverse opinions, but that is just nonsense and you know it.

No, I stand by my view that "Vincent" is one of the worst Doctor Who stories ever and certainly the most over rated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorr wrote: »
    Just been reading about terrahawks - sargeant major zero was rather fond of using the battle cry "Geronimo" - moffats inspiration is becoming clearer!!

One of the best TV programmes ever - certainly worth getting the DVDs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't have to, but if your heart stops for hours, then I don't think you are gonna make it.

They could have at least shown all the people on the video cameras rolling around, as if they were struggling, giving the impression that it may have been some kind of 'minor' heart attack. While that would still be very painful they would still be alive for some time. Then it would be like the cubes were gradually making everyone's hearts worse, but they hadn't quite actually stopped their hearts yet. That would give the story, and the good guys, the time to stop the cubes. But no- the people on the cameras just stopped, pretty literally, dead in their tracks. I'm sure some medical person will come on and tell us all the maximum ever time someone has survived after their heart had stopped?

Just that point ( linked with the foiling of the plot and everyone miraculously getting better) dropped the rating 2 whole points for me.