Options

Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 4: The Power of Three- 22/09/12 19.30 BBC1

Comments

• Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't whatsername technically dead? Rose?

Good point.

I know this might sound strange but a dramatic companion death scene would really end this Series (Or half series) on a high. I can't wait for the incoming JLC era. It's the first real change for a wile. could do the show some good.

Ken
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh- did anyone notice any flickering lights or doctor being violent in this one?

ALL the lights went down at one point, but I'm not so sure that's a link to the lightbulb theory.
    The Doc didn't get all judge Dredd in this one either. SO- his mind being affected by Dalek nanobots theory could be out too. BUT - this was an episode that COULD have happened sometime in the past ( For the Doctor anyway) compared to the previous episodes this series.
    Since it was like Amy was telling the story of something that happened in her past, and also - hey it's a time travel show and maybe events aren't happening in the right order for the Doctor again, it COULD be just that he hasn't been to the Asylum of the Daleks yet.....maybe

That's another thing- where did they all suddenly get torches from? Why would the Brig's daughter need one if the systems never failed (or were always backed up)?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,991
    Forum Member
    thorr wrote: »
    Quick! Lets get one of those cubes so we can figure out how it triggers a heart atta...

Oh no, wait!

Dr who is a fictional programme!!

That's the worst ever defence of shoddy sci fi writing i.e. "Oh well it's about aliens, so anything goes"

No. The human elements (at the very least) must be believable, otherwise there is nothing grounding us to reality, and therefore nothing fantastical about the alien elements.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree uv, I'd like to see Rory stay too. And Brian :D

Shame Brian has come into it so late. He could have been the new wilfred mott.

Ken
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astrid (Kylie) was technically a companion and she was killed too (just to add to the list)

Personally I though the episode was dire. And yes, I understood it wasn't about the boxes/deeply underused guest star.

The chemistry between KG and Matt Smith shines through though and I did love the addition of the Brigadiers daughter running UNIT. Nice touch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want a relationship story, I want to watch Dr. Who:(

Here here. Very well said. if you want a relationship story go watch east enders.or something.

That said though.it can be good to have a little bit of personal back stories etc. and the comedy stuff at the beginning was pretty good on this episode. In fact all the relationship stuff in this episode was about the doctor saying that he's not good at that stuff and needs to be out travelling and having adventures. So a bit ironic really.if were very lucky then maybe this episode was a "good bye" to relationship stories in doctor who.
  • Options
    BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Disappointed that they didn't use UNIT's theme music from series 4!

Oddly this episode felt longer than usual to me, but it turned out to be actually be a bit shorter than the average episode. I think it was because there was this luxurious pace for so much of the episode, and then wham, the cube threat really takes off... I guess I was expecting the drama towards the end to take up less of the episode?

In any case, I just watched this episode again and appreciated it more. I'd say it's definitely one of the better series 7 episodes thus far.

Interesting that the Ponds have now had two encounters with Henry VIII (remember the phone charger comment in the previous episode?).

At the end of the 'next time' clip, Amy and Rory are in freefall. This will surely be a fake-out of some sort, but something else could still happen to them in the way of tragedy before the episode ends.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh- did anyone notice any flickering lights or doctor being violent in this one?

ALL the lights went down at one point, but I'm not so sure that's a link to the lightbulb theory.
    The Doc didn't get all judge Dredd in this one either. SO- his mind being affected by Dalek nanobots theory could be out too. BUT - this was an episode that COULD have happened sometime in the past ( For the Doctor anyway) compared to the previous episodes this series.
    Since it was like Amy was telling the story of something that happened in her past, and also - hey it's a time travel show and maybe events aren't happening in the right order for the Doctor again, it COULD be just that he hasn't been to the Asylum of the Daleks yet.....maybe

Me and my friend have had the theory that, every episode this series so far has been set BEFORE Asylum Of The Daleks...using the Pond Life prequel as proof of this, showing him keep popping up at random times. I felt the throwaway line from Amy at the beginning, something like, "Your overalls are where you left them, in the living room" added to the fact that, at the same time, the Doctor pulled a face as if to say, "Am going to sort this" or something...makes me think that this is the last episode of the series set BEFORE Asylum and that next weeks will be the first after it....again, just my take on it
  • Options
    enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this one a lot more than the previous episodes. Weeping Angels and River next week really looking forward to that. Hope its good but will be sad to see end on the Ponds. I hope it's a happy ending but I don't think it will be.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The chemistry between KG and Matt Smith shines through though and I did love the addition of the Brigadiers daughter running UNIT. Nice touch.
    Some lovely moments, did you notice the Doctor was referring to Amy as Amelia many times, maybe it's a reminder to the first meeting between Amelia and the Doctor.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enna_g wrote: »
    I enjoyed this one a lot more than the previous episodes. Weeping Angels and River next week really looking forward to that. Hope its good but will be sad to see end on the Ponds. I hope it's a happy ending but I don't think it will be.

Do you think that the Ponds will be sent back into time by the weeping angels to an era that will seem normal to them but in a place where they have no recollection of who the Doctor is and River Song?
  • Options
    abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Do you think that the Ponds will be sent back into time by the weeping angels to an era that will seem normal to them but in a place where they have no recollection of who the Doctor is and River Song?

Yes, that's exactly what I thought, something about sending them back in time.
    I'm really scared of weeping angels:o:D
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I like to see Karen's bottom, thought it was a bit of a schoolboy error with the radio mic on view in the vacuuming scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Some lovely moments, did you notice the Doctor was referring to Amy as Amelia many times, maybe it's a reminder to the first meeting between Amelia and the Doctor.

Yeah. It was really sweet. :) I love the 2 of them together, I just loathe Rory lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here here. Very well said. if you want a relationship story go watch east enders.or something.

That said though.it can be good to have a little bit of personal back stories etc. and the comedy stuff at the beginning was pretty good on this episode. In fact all the relationship stuff in this episode was about the doctor saying that he's not good at that stuff and needs to be out travelling and having adventures. So a bit ironic really.if were very lucky then maybe this episode was a "good bye" to relationship stories in doctor who.

But since DT's time all the series have a relationship factor
    I think Amy's has been one of the most strongest because its not based on them falling in love with the doctor.

As he said her face was the first he saw.The bond between them has been amazing.And Rorys Character really Getting stronger.Next week looks like being all action so just having the ponds leave would have been terrible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my friend have had the theory that, every episode this series so far has been set BEFORE Asylum Of The Daleks...using the Pond Life prequel as proof of this, showing him keep popping up at random times. I felt the throwaway line from Amy at the beginning, something like, "Your overalls are where you left them, in the living room" added to the fact that, at the same time, the Doctor pulled a face as if to say, "Am going to sort this" or something...makes me think that this is the last episode of the series set BEFORE Asylum and that next weeks will be the first after it....again, just my take on it

I like that theory. I wonder if asylum could end up being the LAST episode if you were to put them in the correct order according to the doctor. I mean even after he's had his adventures with Clara/Oswin. It will be like he had to go there to make sure certain events happen. Maybe he's been infected with dalek nanobots for some time already before he goes to asylum. Can't wait to find out. Trying to figure out the background plot/story arc has been challenging and exciting this series. This episode didn't seem to have any of that though. Or maybe it did and I can't figure it out yet until it is all revealed.
    Sadly, this episode could have been excellent, but for me at least it's been the worst so far this series. Still ok though overall.
  • Options
    alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    I voted excellent, I loved it!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah. It was really sweet. :) I love the 2 of them together, I just loathe Rory lol
    no :cry: don't diss the Rory, he's lovely.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol you can have him :p He does nothing for me I'm afraid lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol you can have him :p He does nothing for me I'm afraid lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rory has become such a powerful character.
    it reminds me of Donna how she was rather annoying in Runaway bride then totally won most over in her series.

11th hour Rory and this Rory they are like different characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol, as did Amy :p
    moonburn wrote: »
    it reminds me of Donna how she was rather annoying in Runaway bride then totally won most over in her series.

I've just never taken to his character at all I'm afraid. :)
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonburn wrote: »

Rory is a fab character.

This was a very nice episode - I voted good. Kate Stewart is an excellent character - I hope we see more of her.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic episode. My first excellent vote for quite a while,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the beginning of the episode, Rory and Amy were throwing stuff about, why?:D

Love the hat/coatstand :D

What happened at the point when Amy said to Rory about his scrubs being in the lounge where he left them. The Doctor gave Amy an odd look and Amy looked strange at the Doctor,.:confused: It didn't seem quite right.:confused: