Options

Dispatches "secrets of poundland" Tonight 8pm

Comments

• Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it misleading though? In order to hit the £1 price, they are going to need different product sizes in some cases. If they were setting a smaller amount in the same size packaging, then it might be a valid point.

Indeed that is the case, that is hpwever dishonest if they mislead people into thinking they are the same size.

Supermarkets and manufacturers have been abusing X% free for years - it's not new and it's not unique to poundland.

I acknowledged that however it does appear to be worse in Poundland.
    Sorry, but I find the vulnerable people idea a bit patronizing.

Well there are vulnerable people out there who are taken in by this. These people are likely to be poor though of course it's only a minority of poor people are vulnerable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My feeling is that this documentary was conceived to deceive vulnerable people.

In that case they would be in good company with Poundland.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    :confused: You're not annoying me - you're the one who made the original post about posters annoying you because according to you they are all virtuous. Read my post then read yours again! You're the one who is tarring all posters who like to shop around as virtuous! :confused:

If it annoys you so much about certain posters and what "virtuous" comments they make on here, do the sensible thing and copy and paste/multi quote their post and reply directly underneath them - otherwise you just draw other posters into a non debate.

Did I quote you? If not, you needn't reply (you needn't anyway) so I don't know why you have replied. :confused:

I quoted to agree with Barry Potter that all the "vulnerable" comments came over as patronising. I still think that.

You did say I annoyed you, in your post. Put me on ignore, then, I won't be bothered.

I didn't quote individual posters because I didn't take particular notice of them, but comments like "I'm a savvy shopper" just come over as "I'm cleverer than the idiots who shop at Poundland". I was pointing out that it doesn't mean you are cleverer, it just means your circumstances are different.

Anyway, as you say, a non-argument.

Though people are still using the "vulnerable" phrase, and I still don't know what they mean by it. So I'm at liberty to think they mean "people thicker than me", which I still find patronising. Sorry if that offends.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are some genuine bargains in our poundland (which fortunately is on the way home from my work) so I can stop in and buy the things I need at the lower price. We do a lot of baking and some of their utensils, trays etc are good buys at a pound. If you pop in and buy the things that are genuine bargains then I dont see the problem with that. If you're to daft to recognise somethings are cheaper at your local supermarket that's your own fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    If you're to daft to recognise somethings are cheaper at your local supermarket that's your own fault.

Well some people are "daft", that's the way of the world. If the people are daft and comfortable financially it doesn't matter but if they're struggling to get by then it becomes more of a problem.

Having said that with the chocolate and cakes if they eat less as a result then it may be a good thing.:)
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I quote you? If not, you needn't reply (you needn't anyway) so I don't know why you have replied. :confused:

I quoted to agree with Barry Potter that all the "vulnerable" comments came over as patronising. I still think that.

You did say I annoyed you, in your post. Put me on ignore, then, I won't be bothered.

I didn't quote individual posters because I didn't take particular notice of them, but comments like "I'm a savvy shopper" just come over as "I'm cleverer than the idiots who shop at Poundland". I was pointing out that it doesn't mean you are cleverer, it just means your circumstances are different.

Anyway, as you say, a non-argument.

Though people are still using the "vulnerable" phrase, and I still don't know what they mean by it. So I'm at liberty to think they mean "people thicker than me", which I still find patronising. Sorry if that offends.

Eh? Sorry if what offends? Can't you see I was having a laugh with what you said - just went right over your head that one. :sleep: Have a nice weekend! :p
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Page 10, and here come the forum thread rows.
    Sometimes two can be going on at the same time.:D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Eh? Sorry if what offends? Can't you see I was having a laugh with what you said - just went right over your head that one. :sleep: Have a nice weekend! :p

I meant, If my calling people patronising offends.

If you were having a laugh, it didn't sound like it. Still, I will have a good week-end, thanks. Same to you.
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to say I turned this off after 10 mins, what a load of garbage, comparing Poundland with Superdrug?? really?? not exactly selling the same stuff, maybe he should have compared poundlands profits v tesco or asda?? oh but then it wouldn't look like they were making that much compared with the big guns. And comparing prices v offers at asda? rubbish, absolute sensationalism, anyway got to go i'm off to poundland to grap myself some bargins :D
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Such a poorly made documentary, comparing warburtons bread and sugar puffs on sale at Asda against Poundland prices.

The warburton bread I tend to buy every week is usually £1.35, yet this documentary insists on giving it a price of £1.

The presenter seems incredibly bias.

In Tescos its usually £1.35 per loaf. ASDA have got it at £1.35 but if you buy 2 its only £2.00

In AlDI they only charge £1 for a Warburtons and if you go in after 8pm they have put it down to 50p a loaf ...get 2 for a pound then ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember a programme either earlier this year or late last year showing how much a rip off the Supermarkets "deals" were, now that was more believeable
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    In Tescos its usually £1.35 per loaf. ASDA have got it at £1.35 but if you buy 2 its only £2.00

In AlDI they only charge £1 for a Warburtons and if you go in after 8pm they have put it down to 50p a loaf ...get 2 for a pound then ;)

No Asda or Aldi near where I live and one loaf is what I usually go for as two would be too many.

Sainsburys have increased the price to £1.45.

£1.45 vs £1.00, would be interesting to see how Harry Wallop's bread slicing experiment would work with those figures.
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rkid wrote: »
    I seem to remember a programme either earlier this year or late last year showing how much a rip off the Supermarkets "deals" were, now that was more believeable

Mint Aeros have become a rip off.

5 bars per pack last year.

Now 3 bars per pack, even on offer they are a rip off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ive just been in my local Poundland just for a look around £5 later !!

If your on a low income and have a couple of kids Poundland can be a god send. Ive just looked and 3 tins of HP beans £1 ...tinned peas 4 for£1....pot noodles....I know its not the most interesting food but if your skint beans on toast or pot noodle fills a hole as my mam used to say.4 pints of milk is only £1...teabags/coffee £1....If you can afford it go to one of the big supermarkets but if your skint and a lot of people are Poundland or 99p shops can make things a bit easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just been in my local Poundland just for a look around £5 later !!

If your on a low income and have a couple of kids Poundland can be a god send. Ive just looked and 3 tins of HP beans £1 ...tinned peas 4 for£1....pot noodles....I know its not the most interesting food but if your skint beans on toast or pot noodle fills a hole as my mam used to say.4 pints of milk is only £1...teabags/coffee £1....If you can afford it go to one of the big supermarkets but if your skint and a lot of people are Poundland or 99p shops can make things a bit easier.

Jesus, how patronising,:mad: i'm not "skint" as you put it and regularly use Poundland!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rkid wrote: »
    Jesus, how patronising,:mad: i'm not "skint" as you put it and regularly use Poundland!

Where do you get patronising from that??? All I said was if your skint and a lot of people are these days you can get enough food to feed you. Ok so your not skint and you use Poundland whoop dee bloody doo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where do you get patronising from that??? All I said was if your skint and a lot of people are these days you can get enough food to feed you. Ok so your not skint and you use Poundland whoop dee bloody doo.

You were talking down to people :mad: get off your high horse!!
  • Options
    HazelKeelanHazelKeelan Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's even funnier now. People who have been shown how they have been ripped off for years by Poundland are now, having watched the programme, still struggling to work out how. Very very very funny.
  • Options
    Barry PotterBarry Potter Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    In which case you've missed the consensus of the thread, which is that the doc was poorly made, sensationalist, patronising, and failed to acknowledge the key fact that poundland has never claimed to be cheapest.
  • Options
    HazelKeelanHazelKeelan Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In which case you've missed the consensus of the thread, which is that the doc was poorly made, sensationalist, patronising, and failed to acknowledge the key fact that poundland has never claimed to be cheapest.

Like I said, people who have been shown how they have been ripped off for years by Poundland are now, having watched the programme, still struggling to work out how. Very very very funny.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I said, people who have been shown how they have been ripped off for years by Poundland are now, having watched the programme, still struggling to work out how. Very very very funny.

I've never shopped at Poundland and I thought the documentary was terrible. I am tempted now though as the smaller sizes appeal being just me & the boy most of the time. Slice for slice - if you ignore the specials - it is just as good value as any of the big 4.

Would have been interesting to see how it compares to Aldi - who do the same 'own brand' thing.

I did try to buy a cupcake in Poundland last week end as I thought they were genius :D But they didn't have any :cry:
  • Options
    totalwisetotalwise Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poundland is a guilty pleasure of mind. It's retail therapy at it's finest. Never buy food from there because it feels expensive. But the odd bits of tools diy bits and other things seem decent value. but I always go there to buy stuff I don't need.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    List your top 5 items from poundland.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LeeBoy19 wrote: »
    The point is the discount pound, 99p shops etc are now big enough to request and have there requests met by many manufacturers and will make packets the weight etc that the retailer demands. Not many people can keep a full database in their heads of what the actual packet weight size of many items is particularly when the physical dimensions are so close if not identical and just the weights are 20% down. Very misleading.

Buyer beware as always - if a deal seems to be too good to be true it probably is.

Sadly many of these discount traders prey on peoples lack of basic mathematical education and gullibility.

Unfortunately we appear to be largely a nation of idiots who will flock in and hand over their money with little or no real thought just letting the traders sway us with false deals and psychological tricks. The false deals easy enough if you have some basic arithmetic nous to counter them the psychological aspect a little harder to defeat.

So while the programme may not have brought much fresh knowledge to many people if it alerted some that they were being manipulated then it did a good job. Sadly one suspects it's impact will soon be lost and the 'great unwashed' will be back there throwing their pound/99p at thes type of retailers even when they are not getting a good deal.

I'd say there would be more than "some", providing Dispatches was actually a widely watched show. I've certainly learned a lot from this thread ("loss leaders", for example, although the stuff they put in those bins don't usually interest me anyway. They're usually small Toblerone bars or equally unusual items) and I wouldn't consider myself an idiot.

Another poster summed it up well, I thought. I can't find his/her post to quote it, but he/she basically asked the question "who has the time to shop "savvy"?". After a long day, I just want to get my food and go home. I really can't be bothered to see if I'm being conned out of an extra 200 grams. Sure, I grumble when I feel I'm paying about 50p extra for a 8 pack of Kit Kats but it doesn't bother me enough to sit down and work out this out.

I do think the programme would have been of some use to some people (including myself) but at the same time, I understand the criticism that it may portray Poundland's customers in a negative, perhaps "patronizing" light.
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another poster summed it up well, I thought. I can't find his/her post to quote it, but he/she basically asked the question "who has the time to shop "savvy"?".

Well, people that don't work, possibly.
    I know of several people of various age, late twenties to early eighties, that can tell you pretty accurately where the lowest prices generally are on particular items, whether food, drinks or general merchandise.

Poundland, B&M, whatever they do, one thing they don't do, is raise the hopes of housebound people with a coloured leaflet dropped through the letter box, usually at a time when other members of the household may be working, thus unable to intercept it, filled with lots of bargain offers that are all too often unavailable by the time it hits the doormat.
    Lidl do this every week.