Options

how do you decide you like a name?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
Forum Member
✭✭✭
is it because of the sound? the meaning? the associations? all three? Just two? Do any of those not matter much to you?

I'm just curious.

I like lots of names because of how they sound to me, but to go one notch up and really really like a name a lot, I have to like it's meaning - and, it really has to have a meaning - plus I have to like it's associations too.

The sound and meaning are most important to me, but if a name sounds nice and has an enchanting meaning, *but* I don't really like the associations, then I won't like it. For example, I don't like very commonplace names, or female names which are often also used for men or suggest something masculine.

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you been smokin da herb?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sound, I guess. I just hear a name and decide then and there if I like it or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can be carried away by a meaning into thinking a name's really magical. For example, I heard someone named their new son Starship recently. That blew me away - what a fab name, because of the totally dreamy meaning. The sound is nice, but the meaning makes it something more. If I'd disliked the sound I wouldn't like it though.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I chose the name of my older son based on a song by one of my favourite artists, and my younger son because it sounded cute. I didn't know the meanings of either name, I just liked them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's generally the sound of the name. I think the name "Maria" sounds really pretty and it puts me in mind of nice people, whereas the name "Harriet" reminds me of the name Harry which I don't like, I think it sounds very harsh for a female name and it also puts me in mind of stuck up, posh b**ches :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly it's the sound of the name. For example I don't like hard G sounds so names like Gloria and Gertrude sound horrible. I like L sounds and long A sounds so a name like Ella sounds lovely.

It can also be the association. The name Carol sounds nice to me but I know a horrible Carol, so I would never consider calling my child that.

It can also depend on whether the name is in fashion or not. I like George but it seems like an old name, and not suitable for a baby.

The meaning of the name doesn't factor in at all, unless it's something like Chlamydia :D
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really hard choosing names for your kids when you have been a teacher, as some perfectly serviceable names develop a revulsion of their own. Also, some other names not spoiled by association but still to be avoided as they are too common.

I tended to choose family names, or names that had some significance for whatever reason. Rather than pick summat just because it sounded pretty or was fashionable, or what I imagined was 'edgy' or whatever...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks to all - interesting replies.

I tend to think most people choose for the sound. I did that as a child but as I grew up into teens a little more, I thought names with obvious meanings which were dreamy and fantastical, were so glamorous and enchanting. As someone with the plainest commonplace name which doesn't mean anything in particular really, I thought it was cool to be "described" as something that nobody else was - like the novelty factor of being "Misty Autumn Moon", or "Pearlynnessa", or whatever. Never really changed this.

But I can relate, that just the sound of a name can have a meaning or message, even if it's not a word or derived from one. Like, I adore soft and elaborate sounding names, and I think names like that sound really femminine. I'm not a fan of strong or harsh sounding names for females, because that doesn't really float my boat - it doesn't give me a vision of a southern belle or a ballerina or something similar that I like, when I hear it. Each to their own.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just like the sound, and how it rolls of the tongue :)
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Dolls wrote: »
    I can be carried away by a meaning into thinking a name's really magical. For example, I heard someone named their new son Starship recently. That blew me away - what a fab name, because of the totally dreamy meaning. The sound is nice, but the meaning makes it something more. If I'd disliked the sound I wouldn't like it though.

I feel sorry for the child being called starship, open to being picked on at school what do some parents use for brains, my be some parents need to remember the child has to live with the name
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the child being called starship, open to being picked on at school what do some parents use for brains, my be some parents need to remember the child has to live with the name

I've heard that view before but what I don't get is, why the other side of the coin isn't important. What I mean is, why isn't it important who will be impressed with a name, rather than who won't be impressed with it? So, people who like to bully others because they have unusual and fab things about them, will be okay with a name? Sorry, but that's not a plus in my book.

I do agree bullying is a horrendous thing, I totally am for preventing it but I don't think it's an inevitable experience for people with unusual names anyway. For I don't even think unsual names are that unusual if it's usual where you are to be unusual - lol! - ie, these are not parents living in a mainstream culture. And not everyone goes to school anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Do I like the sound of it?
    2) Do I know any arseholes who share it?

If I answer yes to 1 and no to 2, then I like the name.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,926
    Forum Member
    Association is probably the strongest.

'Chardonnay' is quite a pretty-sounding word if you think about it.
    But it has chav and wag associations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goonst wrote: »
    1) Do I like the sound of it?
    2) Do I know any arseholes who share it?

If I answer yes to 1 and no to 2, then I like the name.

that's interesting to me because I don't think I could be put off a name by knowing some people have it who I don't like. It would still sound the same and mean the same thing - I can't see how it would alter it. If it was a lot of a certain type of person, possibly, like a name I was choosing for a child which was from an ethnicity/nationality which it had no connection to, then yes I'd feel uneasy with that, or else, if it was connected to some culture of people which I don't admire. But not through only one or two people I personally knew.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like names that are made up or a badly-spelled version of another name, unless they are made up or badly spelled by me. Then they are amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like names that are made up or a badly-spelled version of another name, unless they are made up or badly spelled by me. Then they are amazing.

:D: D