Options

New EPG on its way (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it would be a totally different wriiten app and of course would be very different in how it could function as it wouldn't be able to have most of the features the iPad has.

no it wouldn't.
    most (if not all) of the code would be the same between all devices.

with the sky app, it will be a case of simply getting it working properly on the ipad first, then porting it across to the iphone/ipod.
  • Options
    Adam NortonAdam Norton Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    There is of course the Browser Version also which obviously hasn't been released yet either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    no it wouldn't.
    most (if not all) of the code would be the same between all devices.

with the sky app, it will be a case of simply getting it working properly on the ipad first, then porting it across to the iphone/ipod.

It'd still be written differently, that's why there are two version of some apps between the iPad and the iPhone, if all apps were written the same, there'd be no need for two seperate apps and two seperate purchases other than the deveopers to make more money.
  • Options
    NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    There is of course the Browser Version also which obviously hasn't been released yet either.

Guessing no Sky Anything App's for the kit from Prime Sponsor of Sky Atlantic - RIM/Blackberry :D

That being said, my Blackberry is corporate locked down so I wouldn't get it from the Blackberry Marketplace anyway :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It'd still be written differently, that's why there are two version of some apps between the iPad and the iPhone, if all apps were written the same, there'd be no need for two seperate apps and two seperate purchases other than the deveopers to make more money.

More milking customers - See Angry Bird's iPod/iPhone v;'s IPad HD version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But of course I'm only relaying my own thoughts on the matter. As not an app developer myself, if someone wants to come and tell me I'm wrong and put me right about iPad and iPhone apps written with the same code but just set to display different, I'll stand corrected.

As if it were 'that easy' then the iPhone would possibly have at least some Remote Planner functionality already, even if were just the Reminder System and Remote Record using the 'Home Network' without it going ovber the interent for Remote Record signals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

there isn't a need for separate apps, you can have a universal app that runs on both (with different features for different devices).

the only real reason for separate apps is to gain double the revenue for people wanting both versions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But of course I'm only relaying my own thoughts on the matter. As not an app developer myself, if someone wants to come and tell me I'm wrong and put me right about iPad and iPhone apps written with the same code but just set to display different, I'll stand corrected.

As if it were 'that easy' then the iPhone would possibly have at least some Remote Planner functionality already, even if were just the Reminder System and Remote Record using the 'Home Network' without it going ovber the interent for Remote Record signals.

yes you're wrong
    (ps i have developed iOS apps).

universal apps (those with the "plus" symbol next to them in the store) are for developed both devices.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm struggling to think why not, as the remote control is fairly rudimentary swiping. Nothing special.

Dopes Remote Record go iPad to HD over the local netowrk, or does it still up go up t'internet. Can't say I have tried it with the internet down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think that moving the sky + ipad app to the iphone is not really a technical problem, its more to do with the user interface that sky have designed for the app on the ipad.
    It only works in landscape mode and I would say to move it to an iphone would be quite a tight squeeze to fit it all and that would necessitate having two different apps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    I think that moving the sky + ipad app to the iphone is not really a technical problem, its more to do with the user interface that sky have designed for the app on the ipad.
    It only works in landscape mode and I would say to move it to an iphone would be quite a tight squeeze to fit it all and that would necessitate having two different apps.

no it wouldn't necessitate two different apps.
    it is not an issue having 2 different graphical layouts combined into the one app.

the sky+ app is already a universal app that runs on both ipad and iphone - the current ipad version is the same as the iphone version that already has the new features in it, it's just that the new features are only available in the ipad sub-version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    no it wouldn't necessitate two different apps.
    it is not an issue having 2 different graphical layouts combined into the one app.

the sky+ app is already a universal app that runs on both ipad and iphone - the current ipad version is the same as the iphone version that already has the new features in it, it's just that the new features are only available in the ipad sub-version.

Yes know that, duh!
    Actually I thought they were two different apps, but just had a look at this app more closely and yes it is one app.
    But still don't see how the ipad ui that we are seeing could easily fit on the iphone easily.
    I think it would be poor compared to the current beautiful ipad ui.
    Have sky said they will be porting this to the iphone then?
    I must say sky have done a great job here.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes know that, duh!
    Actually I thought they were two different apps, but just had a look at this app more closely and yes it is one app.
    But still don't see how the ipad ui that we are seeing could easily fit on the iphone easily.
    I think it would be poor compared to the current beautiful ipad ui.
    Have sky said they will be porting this to the iphone then?
    I must say sky have done a great job here.

Source: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sky+/id301250225?mt=8
    iPhone users -
    Please note we are listening, and an update with Planner Management and Remote Control will be with you very soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »

Oh ok, thx Annie.
    Looks a good challenge for them then.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, it's fine - it just lacks the box connectivity. My daughter uses her iPod touch Sky+ app with the HD box she has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NeilPost wrote: »
    Will the new Sky+ App pre-warn you when the EPG manages to schedule a recording clash too, as opposed to you ?

Got my first clash notification - giving you alternative options for all 3 programmes, presumably where it can, to resolve the conflict - click the one you want to move and all was sweet.

Quite impressive, guessing easier to craft in IOS than HD box firmware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NeilPost wrote: »
    No, it's fine - it just lacks the box connectivity. My daughter uses her iPod touch Sky+ app with the HD box she has.

Yes i also have a iphone 3gs and the current sky+ for it is brill.

Has anyone tried with two ipads at the same time, it mentions there is no device limit for ipads connecting to your box. Sounds like a fun game.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Is this still the active thread for the EPG update?

Anyway, just wanted to post a few niggles.

1) Jumping to channel in EPG

It's happened several times so far. The first time I fixed it by turning off the MiniTV then turning it back on.
    I did this because i've never had MiniTV switched on before but need it on now to have sound on the EPG.
    As it was the only setting i'd changed it seemed the likely suspect and it worked.

Next time it happened when I tried to exit the EPG it froze and I had to do a reboot.

Next time, again the numbers didn't work and when I tried to exit the EPG it hung but another press of the Sky button got me out. I went back in and the numbers worked.

So it seems intermittant with several fixes.

2) Channel hopping
    Moving up and down channels is a lot more clunky than previously.
    e.g. You switch down two channels and instead of going directly to the new channel it scrolls through the inbetween channels and gives up a millisecond view of the channel.

Not much of a niggle but just pointing it out because it is slower than before. Previously it skipped the inbetween channels.

3) EPG gerenally more clunky.
    Sometimes when browsing though channels, jumping to channels and when exiting the EPG it's just very slow.
    A couple of times it has hung/froze when exiting the EPG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These reports are better posted on Sky's forum as Sky don't monitor here as often.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got this update Monday night and apart from them taking away another useful function we seem to have the old blue screen/delay bug back on changing channels e.t.c

Also when you stop and start playback what your watching moves on a few seconds, clearly its still playing while in the blue scren state until the channel comes back

I really wish sky would give the customers the option of not having these updates, and we certainly should not be having bugs back that were removed many months ago.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got this update Monday night and apart from them taking away another useful function we seem to have the old blue screen/delay bug back on changing channels e.t.c

do we ?
    is that the royal "we"?

also, what other useful function has been removed?
    Also when you stop and start playback what your watching moves on a few seconds, clearly its still playing while in the blue scren state until the channel comes back

can't say i've noticed that. but then i don't tend to pause and then restart instantly.
    I really wish sky would give the customers the option of not having these updates, and we certainly should not be having bugs back that were removed many months ago.:mad:

you always have the option of not having sky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And why dont the delete tab have stacks:confused: surely they should keep the software consistent, for anyone who records daily programs it will only take a month or so for the programs in the delete tab to groiw huge. Just dont understand it at all.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe a "delete all" option in the undelete folder would be good. Kinda like the "empty recycling bin" option on windows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe a "delete all" option in the undelete folder would be good. Kinda like the "empty recycling bin" option on windows.

Why? This tab is auto deleted when space is required it is meant to be hands off!

Windows Recycle bin works differently where entries are not removed automatically thus you need an empty option, the Sky box is not a PC and cannot be compared with one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And why dont the delete tab have stacks:confused: surely they should keep the software consistent, for anyone who records daily programs it will only take a month or so for the programs in the delete tab to groiw huge. Just dont understand it at all.

Im really enjoying delete option, a big bonus

Im not sure why it should do stacks in the deletion area you only delete and restore one prog at a time anyway. If you restore a program/s it will put them back in a stack/s if it needs to.

If it gets too big it will delete your oldest ones automatically.