Options

Lidl's dish, Gone with the Wind!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
Forum Member
✭✭
H there, alas, my Lidl dish I've been using at my caravan fro yhe last 6 years, bought it with the gales lastMon/Tues, the plastic mount between the dish and the the mounting bracket failed, in fact the angle scale on the side of the dish was first set at 25 degrees but when it failed it was at 35 degrees, by hand I couldn't move it so there must have been some force, anyway, I have a s*y dish lying in my back garden (needs WQD40) but the lnb that came with it weighs a ton anyonesugest a replacement for it, it will feed two boxe's. I wish lidl's had a run on sat gear just now as i could use the icecrypt LNB i was using at the time, it was Lidl's gear that started me off in the sat scene the bfirst I used to look at forgein sats, actually only a couple of times but very interesting, could be a trip to Maplins.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Folks, I retrieved the LNB and bracket from the spare s*y dish I have and the Icecrypt twin LNB does fit into the S*y bracket but the question I have is it suitable? before I start fitting it up.

Thanks in advance

Apologise for the garbled first thread, a bit merry at the time.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will work but will not give optimum performance. The two lnbs are designed for different shaped dishes and may either pick up interference from outside the dish OR not focus the full signal the dish is capable of. It depends on the signal strength at your location and what is behind the dish. I am at present using two Sky lnbs on a standard dish and have in the past used standard lnbs on Sky dishes without problems but have seen problems in the past with using the incorrect lnb. So basically try it and see particularly if there is no wall or similar parallel to the back of the dish behind it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, it's at the end of my caravan on the shed so the van is behind it, may give it a try anyway and see what happens.

Cheers
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newbee wrote: »
    Hi, it's at the end of my caravan on the shed so the van is behind it, may give it a try anyway and see what happens.

Cheers

Why not just get a new Sky minidish and lnb from ebay.

Less than £20.00 delivered.

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-MK4-Sky-Satellite-Mini-Dish-with-Quad-LNB-/180611409614?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2a0d4766ce
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good Idea but where i am if you need to watch TV normaly the weather's not too good so 60cm minimum but will check the link
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Idea but where i am if you need to watch TV normaly the weather's not too good so 60cm minimum but will check the link

No problem use a Zone 2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astra-Hotbird-60cm-Raven-Zone2-Satellite-dish-Quad-Lnb-Sky-HD-Freesat-/110867273973?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item19d03458f5

I use a Zone 2 Raven in the Midlands for Freesat. Works a treat.

Out of interest I put up a Mk4 Zone 1 on my neighbours bungalow. Works fine (at least on 1N channels, which is all they tend to watch) and we have had some pretty heavy rain recently
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank for the feedback Graham, I think I will go for the raven 60cm save's me the 'wonder if this will work' situation, buy now fit next year, van season ends in 2 weeks, some folk in our site (Royal Deeside) have mini dish's and have problems in bad weather.

Thanks again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem use a Zone 2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astra-Hotbird-60cm-Raven-Zone2-Satellite-dish-Quad-Lnb-Sky-HD-Freesat-/110867273973?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item19d03458f5

I use a Zone 2 Raven in the Midlands for Freesat. Works a treat.

Out of interest I put up a Mk4 Zone 1 on my neighbours bungalow. Works fine (at least on 1N channels, which is all they tend to watch) and we have had some pretty heavy rain recently

Hi there. so I plumpt for this one but forgot to notice if it would fit on to a poll mount as that is what I have, I expect it will though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi there. so I plumpt for this one but forgot to notice if it would fit on to a poll mount as that is what I have, I expect it will though.

You may have to buy some suitable U bolts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well the dish came today, good service, i was surprised it contained 10m of cable with connectors, all metal construction no plastic except the LNB and well pleased as it has a cover that slides down to protect connections but.....................no instructions....I could possibly piece it together but it would be nice to know which bolt or nut goes where, watch this I bet when I open the pack they are all the same!
  • Options
    sen-bazsen-baz Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    well the dish came today, good service, i was surprised it contained 10m of cable with connectors, all metal construction no plastic except the LNB and well pleased as it has a cover that slides down to protect connections but.....................no instructions....I could possibly piece it together but it would be nice to know which bolt or nut goes where, watch this I bet when I open the pack they are all the same!

As I recall, the Zone 2 dishes only had two different sizes of nuts

Small nuts are used
    - 4 with phillips-screw headed bolts to fix dish to back-bracket
    - 4 go on the U-Bolts for the pole mount

Big nuts and bolts connect the elevation bracket to the back-bracket of the dish
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's while ago but from memory you can't really get it wrong. Have a squint at other Sky dishes. Or Google it.

eg

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/raven2.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    When I read the thread title I assumed someone else had discovered the tendency of the Lidl/Comag dish to turn itself inside out in high winds.

Makes one hell of a noise when it does so too...