Options

Are Triple Play Blu Rays becoming even more worthless now

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    I wasn't implying you bought them for the extra formats, my point was you dislike DP/TP bluray editions yet you accept DP/TP steelbook editions which are often more expensive.

So it's OK for you to buy a TP steelbook version but you see no reason why others should have the option to buy the standard TP bluray version, a selfish view isn't it?
    Why do you doubt many others won't buy them for their extra copies?

Depends on the title to what the price can be, I can pick three current releases where the steelbook versions are considerably more than the standard version, of course you can wait and get them cheaper, then you can do that for the DP/TP bluray releases which would then make the argument they can be more expensive a mute point.

You clearly dont have no idea as to my views on DP/TP being available.:rolleyes:

I have bought many steelbooks as cheap as the normal release on release day, hunger games and avengers are two steelbooks that were about the same price as the standard box version and the hunger games had a DVD which no other release did. Spider man HMV exclusive when I ordered was about the same price as the normal box version.

I would say that most serious steelbook collectors dont worry about extra formats, why would they as most have the same discs is as the standard box version.

I prefer SP steelbooks as the artwork dont get ruined so much.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You clearly dont have no idea as to my views on DP/TP being available.:rolleyes:

I have bought many steelbooks as cheap as the normal release on release day, hunger games and avengers are two steelbooks that were about the same price as the standard box version and the hunger games had a DVD which no other release did. Spider man HMV exclusive when I ordered was about the same price as the normal box version.

I would say that most serious steelbook collectors dont worry about extra formats, why would they as most have the same discs is as the standard box version.

I prefer SP steelbooks as the artwork dont get ruined so much.

It is a bit rich to complain about a DP/TP claiming they increase costs (the dont) but then be happy to pay for steelbooks which are generally a little more (which you pretty much admit when you say they are 'around the same'). If anything is being done to fleece money out of cosumers by increasing prices it's been the trend in Steelbooks in the last 6 months or so (where its gone from a niche area of collecting with only a handful of titles getting a steelbook release to a point now where there seems to be a steelbook released or due to be released in the next 12 months for every film ever released)
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a misconception steels are more expensive all the time, you just need be be a clever buyer.

Ditto for DP/TP ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    It is a bit rich to complain about a DP/TP claiming they increase costs (the dont) but then be happy to pay for steelbooks which are generally a little more (which you pretty much admit when you say they are 'around the same'). If anything is being done to fleece money out of cosumers by increasing prices it's been the trend in Steelbooks in the last 6 months or so (where its gone from a niche area of collecting with only a handful of titles getting a steelbook release to a point now where there seems to be a steelbook released or due to be released in the next 12 months for every film ever released)

Have you ever seen a good quality blu ray steelbook? guess not.
    Serious collectors of steelbooks are not really interested in what formats are inside, some dont even care what the film is like although I would not class myself as extreme as that some are.

You cant compare buying steelbooks to buying the money making TP sets, and of course people have a choice if to buy a steelbook or not, people dont have a choice with many TP its that or nothing. I would never buy many of these new wave of steelbooks that are coming out for many of the old films, most are of low quality and not worth the money. I try to go ffor the exclusive ones.

However you spin it its impossible to come up with a decent reason for studios not giving the consumer choice when buying a blu ray movie.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    oh but I have, the thread title is a dead give away.

But you are wrong on so many counts.......

UV are not replacing DVD copies.

Studios don't just release triple play titles to fleece the consumer.

DP/TP titles can often be the same price or cheaper than single disc releases.

However you spin it its impossible to come up with a decent reason for studios not giving the consumer choice when buying a blu ray movie.
    Obvious you have not checked this out on the Bluray site, otherwise you would see all the different editions the studios release, you need to be looking at the shops you buy from, they are the ones not stocking the editions you are after. Your blame is misplaced. ;)

But then why should this concern you, you prefer Steel-books.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    TBH I dont care if my discs are dp,tp or megaexpensive play. I just want the film i buy to look great,sound amazing & be laden with extras. plus,waiting just a few weeks reduces prices massively. So,lets all be happy.:-D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever seen a good quality blu ray steelbook? guess not.
    Serious collectors of steelbooks are not really interested in what formats are inside, some dont even care what the film is like although I would not class myself as extreme as that some are.

You cant compare buying steelbooks to buying the money making TP sets, and of course people have a choice if to buy a steelbook or not, people dont have a choice with many TP its that or nothing. I would never buy many of these new wave of steelbooks that are coming out for many of the old films, most are of low quality and not worth the money. I try to go ffor the exclusive ones.

I have seen plenty, I own a fair number of steelbooks myself but your whole argument is illogical. How can it be all about inflating prices when it comes to DP/TP but not for Steelbooks especially when most steelbooks are a more expensive than then same release in a regular case.

Now sure places like HMV that have exclusive steelbooks do end up atleast on preorder selling them at the same price as they sell the regular version but unfortunately the regular release is available from other retailer cheaper so if you want to collect them you are forced into paying more. And when it comes to non exclusive titles (and with some places even the exclusive ones) you are paying more.

You keep banging on about wanting choice with DP/TP but the simple fact of the matter is why do you need choice when the prices of Bluray only discs shows there is no markup on them. What exactly is the point in 2 releases both at the same price but 1 being a single BD and the other Triple play? There is non and Infact it most likely end up with stores using it as an excuse to be able to raise the prices of Triple Play discs which had a Bluray only release so they could get a few extra pounds out of those who would like the other versions.

At the end of the day you can't bang on about something that isn't increasing prices (as you have been demostrated many times on this tread) while supporting something that does jack up the price by exploiting collectors.

Either just be happy you are being given the FREE chance with many BD's to watch your movie via other methods when you don't have access to your BD player if you so wish (and which if you don't that hasn't costs you anything) OR if you really have an axe to grind with BD studios, distributors and retailers focus it on the real acts of fleecing people and that's the way they are exploiting the growing trend in collecting steelbooks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh but I have, the thread title is a dead give away.

But you are wrong on so many counts.......

UV are not replacing DVD copies.
    Studios don't just release triple play titles to fleece the consumer.

DP/TP titles can often be the same price or cheaper than single disc releases.

Obvious you have not checked this out on the Bluray site, otherwise you would see all the different editions the studios release, you need to be looking at the shops you buy from, they are the ones not stocking the editions you are after. Your blame is misplaced. ;)

But then why should this concern you, you prefer Steel-books.

Clearly you need to do some checking on this, up and coming blu rays, hardly any with DVD's all UV now.

Here is a big list on sainsburys website, almost all multi format sets are now UV, DVD's are like golddust.

Lets move on, this was discussed many days ago, DVD's are being dropped now.

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Blu-ray/Blu-ray-Pre-Orders/category.html?category=filmstv/bluray/filmbluraypreorders
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen plenty, I own a fair number of steelbooks myself but your whole argument is illogical. How can it be all about inflating prices when it comes to DP/TP but not for Steelbooks especially when most steelbooks are a more expensive than then same release in a regular case.

Now sure places like HMV that have exclusive steelbooks do end up atleast on preorder selling them at the same price as they sell the regular version but unfortunately the regular release is available from other retailer cheaper so if you want to collect them you are forced into paying more. And when it comes to non exclusive titles (and with some places even the exclusive ones) you are paying more.

You keep banging on about wanting choice with DP/TP but the simple fact of the matter is why do you need choice when the prices of Bluray only discs shows there is no markup on them. What exactly is the point in 2 releases both at the same price but 1 being a single BD and the other Triple play? There is non and Infact it most likely end up with stores using it as an excuse to be able to raise the prices of Triple Play discs which had a Bluray only release so they could get a few extra pounds out of those who would like the other versions.

At the end of the day you can't bang on about something that isn't increasing prices (as you have been demostrated many times on this tread) while supporting something that does jack up the price by exploiting collectors.

Either just be happy you are being given the FREE chance with many BD's to watch your movie via other methods when you don't have access to your BD player if you so wish (and which if you don't that hasn't costs you anything) OR if you really have an axe to grind with BD studios, distributors and retailers focus it on the real acts of fleecing people and that's the way they are exploiting the growing trend in collecting steelbooks.

I have never said steelbooks are not overinflated, many are but you can get steelbooks on pre-order the same price or even cheaper then the regular blu ray box versions.

Anyone who thinks the extra formats in DP/TP are free really are dreaming.

I dont care less how many formats they release a film on, all me and millions of others want is a decent priced blu ray only. If they want to really kick blu ray off this is what they need to do otherwise tons of people just will continue to use DVD and not go blu ray.

Almost everyone I know who is thinking about going blu ray questions these TP sets (and rightly so) and have stated until a cheaper blu ray only is released they wont take the plunge.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I have never said steelbooks are not overinflated, many are but you can get steelbooks on pre-order the same price or even cheaper then the regular blu ray box versions.

I dont care less how many formats they release a film on, all me and millions of others want is a decent priced blu ray only. If they want to really kick blu ray off this is what they need to do otherwise tons of people just will continue to use DVD and not go blu ray.

Almost everyone I know who is thinking about going blu ray questions these TP sets (and rightly so) and have stated until a cheaper blu ray only is released they wont take the plunge.
    Then it looks like that almost everyone you know has got a long wait as how much lower than £6 do these people want Blu Rays to go that are being sold in the likes of Asda?
    Granted your not going to get the latest releases for £6, but there's certainly no denying that Blu Rays are more than affordable if people just open their eyes and have a look around.
    Also it seems to of totally passed some of you by that the newly released TP of ill Manors (£9.99 on iTunes)that I mentioned earlier is only £10 when you've got SD of the likes of Avengers Assemble for £17.97, but I suppose there will be some excuse as to why this doesn't prove they cost no more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly you need to do some checking on this, up and coming blu rays, hardly any with DVD's all UV now.

Here is a big list on sainsburys website, almost all multi format sets are now UV, DVD's are like golddust.

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Blu-ray/Blu-ray-Pre-Orders/category.html?category=filmstv/bluray/filmbluraypreorders

Its not like that many were coming with DVD's before either. As I have said before digital copies have always been more common than DVD copies, DVD versions have always been many limited to movies aimed at key demos mainly children and family films.

And as myself and others have mentioned many films have a DVD version included elsewhere in the world. We never and will never see as many sets with DVD's because we have one of the highest up takes in Blurray as we do with pretty much every technology.Hence they don't need to focus on marketing Bluray to people who still have and use DVD in their life rather their focus is on people who may choose to skip Bluray and go to digital download
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

See this is where you are completely clueless. Just as it took DVD a long time to drop in price it will Bluray because its all about economies of scale.

The more you sell of something the cheaper it becomes to make and at this point (especially as Blank media is ordered years in advance so they are paying the price for the blank media they use today based on the demand before DVD sales took a real drop)

It's actually even debatable if they did drop BD new releases to £10 if they could even get hold of enough discs to satisfy demand as again their orders are made on predictions years in advance of needing them but even if they could they would be charging less for a product where costs to,produce hadn't dropped (and may have increased as demand would be greater than supply) so it would be loosing them money

When DVD shattered the pricing structure it was when Hardware prices saw an influx of under £40 budget players and new players from the big brands were launching under £80 so with Bluray that's what you need to watch, hardware prices are creeping down but it won't be until worldwide demand has pushed them to around those price points that the demand will be enough to break the pricing structure.

Until then all BD from major studios will be in the 15-18 range on release and if you want a bargain you will have to wait for the clearance sales 6montgs later when it will be £6-10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    A bigger concern would be getting studios to actually release Blu Rays.... 2 Broke Girls is going out region free in the US, how easy would it have been for them to send out the same release but repacked with the BBFC info? Very. (the product was already classified). But no, Warner Bros. are too lazy, same with Fox and Wilfred (though I'm not sure if it's region free). Till companies get off there arses and start actually release things on Blu Ray, it won't take off, so prices won't decrease.
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bigger concern would be getting studios to actually release Blu Rays.... 2 Broke Girls is going out region free in the US, how easy would it have been for them to send out the same release but repacked with the BBFC info? Very. (the product was already classified). But no, Warner Bros. are too lazy, same with Fox and Wilfred (though I'm not sure if it's region free). Till companies get off there arses and start actually release things on Blu Ray, it won't take off, so prices won't decrease.

Plenty of Blu-rays are getting released.
    This last quarter has been massive for releases.

Just because something specific you want isn't getting a release you can't make a blanket statement like that.

There's plenty of things i'd love on Blu but there's also plenty of stuff that is getting a release.
  • Options
    Forum Member

With 2 Broke Girls I would of thought that would of been a licensing issue with CBS rather than Warner Bros being too lazy.
    TV Studios and Film Studios are two different entities and will always differ when it comes to distribution rights between regions.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

Oh dear, you are basing your claim on what Sainsbury's are selling.

Here's just three titles from your Sainsbury's list that proves to you Studios are not dropping the DVD format in favour of the UV format.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Dark-Knight-Rises-Blu-ray/21212/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Amazing-Spider-Man-Blu-ray/22855/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Men-in-Black-3-Blu-ray/28455/

Yes let's move on, it's obvious your claims have no foundation.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Here's just three titles from your Sainsbury's list that proves to you Studios are not dropping the DVD format in favour of the UV format.

Come on now, you should know full well by now what reply your going to get which will be on the lines of "They're US discs not UK discs Blah Blah Blah":rolleyes:
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Come on now, you should know full well by now what reply your going to get which will be on the lines of "They're US discs not UK discs Blah Blah Blah":rolleyes:

Or they don't count because the cases are made from different plastic, or there's more than 200 hundred words in the write-up on the back.

You really should check these things - almost everyone i know agree's with me so it must be true. I've also been in touch with the heads od Warner, Universal, Paramount and Morrisons and they gave me inside information which proves you're wrong :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Almost everyone you know? On this thread there are mainly two individuals who are claiming Triple Plays cost extra and for some strange reason they both have to buy their Blu Rays from a specific local store which is clearly overpricing them as many local stores have them fairly evenly priced.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say i like the Ultraviolet format better than the Digital Copy system,no need to keep files on my PC taking up space,just stream them straight to my tablet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say i like the Ultraviolet format better than the Digital Copy system,no need to keep files on my PC taking up space,just stream them straight to my tablet

I haven't had a UV release yet but I can also see some major downsides. With digital copies I can preload them onto my tablet and then view them without needing a net connection or incurring connection costs. And you obviously don't have to be concerned about changing quality due to your Internet speed changing. Additionally they can shut down UV at any time and you lose your movie. With digital copy you just need the authentication system in place (and with iTunes that many use that's unlikely to go anywhere anytime soon)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Then it looks like that almost everyone you know has got a long wait as how much lower than £6 do these people want Blu Rays to go that are being sold in the likes of Asda?
    Granted your not going to get the latest releases for £6, but there's certainly no denying that Blu Rays are more than affordable if people just open their eyes and have a look around.
    Also it seems to of totally passed some of you by that the newly released TP of ill Manors (£9.99 on iTunes)that I mentioned earlier is only £10 when you've got SD of the likes of Avengers Assemble for £17.97, but I suppose there will be some excuse as to why this doesn't prove they cost no more.

When the 10-12 quid SP blu ray is released on a permenant basis, thats when the masses will go blu ray. Until that happens (and it will eventually) blu ray will still be a niche market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not like that many were coming with DVD's before either. As I have said before digital copies have always been more common than DVD copies, DVD versions have always been many limited to movies aimed at key demos mainly children and family films.

And as myself and others have mentioned many films have a DVD version included elsewhere in the world. We never and will never see as many sets with DVD's because we have one of the highest up takes in Blurray as we do with pretty much every technology.Hence they don't need to focus on marketing Bluray to people who still have and use DVD in their life rather their focus is on people who may choose to skip Bluray and go to digital download

TP use to be mostly blu ray,dig + dvd, now its blu ray dig + UV making them even less value for money then they were before hence why I set this thread up, not to moan so much about "TP" but to highlight they have become even more worthless now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See this is where you are completely clueless. Just as it took DVD a long time to drop in price it will Bluray because its all about economies of scale.

The more you sell of something the cheaper it becomes to make and at this point (especially as Blank media is ordered years in advance so they are paying the price for the blank media they use today based on the demand before DVD sales took a real drop)

It's actually even debatable if they did drop BD new releases to £10 if they could even get hold of enough discs to satisfy demand as again their orders are made on predictions years in advance of needing them but even if they could they would be charging less for a product where costs to,produce hadn't dropped (and may have increased as demand would be greater than supply) so it would be loosing them money

When DVD shattered the pricing structure it was when Hardware prices saw an influx of under £40 budget players and new players from the big brands were launching under £80 so with Bluray that's what you need to watch, hardware prices are creeping down but it won't be until worldwide demand has pushed them to around those price points that the demand will be enough to break the pricing structure.

Until then all BD from major studios will be in the 15-18 range on release and if you want a bargain you will have to wait for the clearance sales 6montgs later when it will be £6-10

I think some of your earlier comments on steelbooks shows who the "clueless one" is and it sure isn't me :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow why not go to timbucktoo and see what they are selling, who cares what the yanks are selling, we are in the UK that what we are talking about, we use £££ not $$$$$. :rolleyes:

And for every new UK release you can find with a dvd I will show you another 20 with UV instead or maybe every online retailer is basically lying.:rolleyes:

Yes lets move on, this has been done on both sides now, UV are replacing DVD thats a fact, its easy to check, I posted a link for sainsburys, but could do the same for every UK retailer and they would all come up with the same story.