Options

Shattered glass on Iphone screen

decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Argh - gutted! I just dropped my Iphone 4 onto a concrete floor and the glass has shattered! The phone is working fine but looks a mess.

I'm not insured, and I'm thinking of buying a replacement screen on ebay and replacing the screen myself. I've seen a how to video online and it looks relatively straightforward.

I just wondered if anyone else had tried this, and what your experience was fixing it yourself. Or maybe I should take it into a repair shop - is it expensive to get it fixed? And if I do buy a new screen do I need to buy the LCD screen and touch screen digitizer?

Any advice appreciated :(

Comments

• Options
    LollytrollLollytroll Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    My mate fixes these, if its just a screen swap he says its simple enough, but there is a lot of screws and can be fiddley. If it just a cracked screen you should not need the digitaliser
  • Options
    acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would of been best to post this in the mobile phone section, and i think the screen is fine the digitiser is broken?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would of been best to post this in the mobile phone section, and i think the screen is fine the digitiser is broken?

Oh sorry, I didn't think about putting it there, duh! I will trawl the threads there and see if any are helpful :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I did the same to mine. I found a guy who fixes them and he did it for about £40. He lives near me so I picked it back up an hour later, but he does it by post too. I can find you his website (with prices listed) if that's any help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the same to mine. I found a guy who fixes them and he did it for about £40. He lives near me so I picked it back up an hour later, but he does it by post too. I can find you his website (with prices listed) if that's any help.

If you could that would be great - thank you!
  • Options
    RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg I would hate anyone to see the filth in my phone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    Argh - gutted! I just dropped my Iphone 4 onto a concrete floor and the glass has shattered! The phone is working fine but looks a mess.

I'm not insured, and I'm thinking of buying a replacement screen on ebay and replacing the screen myself. I've seen a how to video online and it looks relatively straightforward.

I just wondered if anyone else had tried this, and what your experience was fixing it yourself. Or maybe I should take it into a repair shop - is it expensive to get it fixed? And if I do buy a new screen do I need to buy the LCD screen and touch screen digitizer?

When I broke the glass on my iPhone 4 I did my homework on repairing. What I learned is, you need the digitizer as well as the glass as they are glued together. They started doing this due to many complaints of dust getting between the two on previous models. This means the price will be a bit more for having to buy both.

I think for most people, the home fix kits are going to cause more trouble than anything if you aren't sure what you are doing. Case in point, my friend had tried to fix his own using YouTube like you are considering, and ended up losing the touch screen ability. He tried again and no luck, ended up having to give up on the phone full stop.

There are high street booths / stalls that can do them pretty quickly and even though you pay for it, it's more reliable and more cost efficient than the time you will spend on trying to do it yourself.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My iPad's the same, dropped about 8 weeks ago and I still haven't got round to fixing it.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    If you could that would be great - thank you!

Okay, he's either put his prices up or I've remembered it wrong, but looks like it'd be £20 more than I first thought. But either way, he did a good job and I've had no trouble with the phone since he worked on it! Here's the iphone 4 repairs page on his website - clicky
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you say you haven't got insurance - but check your household content insurance it might cover it. I always make sure mine has coverage for loss, theft and accidental damage of things like phones, laptops, cameras etc. It covers me anywhere in the UK.

Also, some bank accounts offer mobile phone insurance as standard as one of their benefits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone - maybe doing it myself isn't the best idea! I will check my home insurance, though the excess might cost more than getting it repaired.

And there is no filth on my phone!
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took my OH's phone into the Apple store and (as it was the first time he had broken it) he got a free replacement.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has self replaced too, seems easy on YouTube but I guess the reality is quite different!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got a quote from the Carphone Warehouse - £170.00!! Seems a bit steep!
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    Gorilla glass
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took my OH's phone into the Apple store and (as it was the first time he had broken it) he got a free replacement.....

Same thing happened when my sister dropped hers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I got the glass fixed on my iPhone 3Gs for £30, you're better going to an independent repair shop, I had mine done within two hours, O2 wanted to charge me £50 and send it off for 7-14 days.
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the glass fixed on my iPhone 3Gs for £30, you're better going to an independent repair shop, I had mine done within two hours, O2 wanted to charge me £50 and send it off for 7-14 days.

Seriously, do try Apple first. The guy I saw said if it was your first time breaking it they would give a free replacement...!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try an Apple store. They might just replace it for you. Even out of warranty.

Otherwise, don't bother trying to fix it yourself. While its not particulary difficult, the insides are a little delicate. Take it to an independent repair place and will cost you £50 max. Probably much less. Mine was done for £25 just behind Bury New Rd, Manchester. Loads of phone shops there.

And if someone is looking to buy the screen of eBay, then you need the complete unit - that's glass and digitizer. It won't work otherwise. The 4s screen is a complete unit.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,538
    Forum Member
    Certainly ask in an Apple store - a friend of my daughter works part time at Meadow Hall, and I believe one of his job's is replacing broken glass for people?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I paid £40 to get mine done recently and had it back within 20 mins . . . just went to a local mobile phone stall and they sorted it for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have replaced the touch screen on a relatives Samsung Galaxy phone, I watched the video to replace an iphone 4 screen and it looks much the same kind of thing. it wasn't that hard and we saved some money.
    If you are practical, its worth a shot just for the fun of it, but then again, I am weird and find things like that fun:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Decobelle is an engineer, I might try and persuade him to do it for me! I am quite a long way from an Apple Store unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, do try Apple first. The guy I saw said if it was your first time breaking it they would give a free replacement...!

Now I understand. My niece broke the glass on her iPhone, she went to the Apple shop crying, and they replaced the phone for her free of charge. I assumed it was because she's a leggy teenage girl, not that there's an official policy.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I think it must be a policy as they replaced my phone for free as well when I managed to smash my screen. I was surprised as I was expecting to fork out for repair. I wasn't insured either. Definitely check with Apple first, always worth a try.