Options

Twitter - I'm horrified

Comments

• Options
    vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is right, parents should be more careful about allowing their children free reign on the internet.

Beyond that, you can't police everyone on the basis that some are pre-disposed to harming themselves.

I find it quite shocking that she was showing strangers her boobs on webcam. Where were her parents, and why did they allow her to use the Internet after that? If I'd done something like that when I was a teenager I'd have had a permanent ban from the Internet.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Eh? :confused:
    It's an easy way to lose or miss out on a job!

In my profession posting on Facebook is seriously frowned upon and seriously not advised and for good reason

Exactly. Employers want to know what an employee is like. The USA are using Facebook in this way to see who uses drugs, who bullies others and who drinks. There is also who sees women or men as sex objects.

They also want to know who stands up for themselves and others and who complains about companies and services.
  • Options
    citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it quite shocking that she was showing strangers her boobs on webcam. Where were her parents, and why did they allow her to use the Internet after that? If I'd done something like that when I was a teenager I'd have had a permanent ban from the Internet.

I don't know the full detail of this story but yeah, i can imagine most parents would go mad about such a situation.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Employers want to know what an employee is like. The USA are using Facebook in this way to see who uses drugs, who bullies others and who drinks. There is also who sees women or men as sex objects.

They also want to know who stands up for themselves and others and who complains about companies and services.

Don't most people have their accounts locked to stop anyone from seeing their profile? Only idiots or those who are careful about their posts have open accounts
  • Options
    Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Social media is here to stay and once you have let people have something and a voice it is hard to take it away or block it.

You will get disgustingly vile people on social media sites but they are just the same as the bully down the local pub who is always shouting their opinion and gets aggressive after a few drinks they are one and the same unhappy people taking their bitterness out on others.

It is an awful shame what happened to this young girl. I do think we need to act more against the tide of vile comments aimed at people and I believe in the steps people are taking now including the police arresting the man wearing a tshirt praising the killing of the two female police officers.

I believe in free speech but I do not believe in inciting hateful actions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an awful shame what happened to this young girl. I do think we need to act more against the tide of vile comments aimed at people and I believe in the steps people are taking now including the police arresting the man wearing a tshirt praising the killing of the two female police officers.

They are mutually exclusive. You cannot support freedom of speech by deciding what you think should be disallowed.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good old America.... Warped as ever ;)
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Why was Twitter & Facebook ever created? They just seem like the most pointless things ever :confused:

Given that people on Facebook tend to actually communicate with the people that they know, then you could argue that is has more point than this forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Social media is here to stay and once you have let people have something and a voice it is hard to take it away or block it.

You will get disgustingly vile people on social media sites but they are just the same as the bully down the local pub who is always shouting their opinion and gets aggressive after a few drinks they are one and the same unhappy people taking their bitterness out on others.

Then you don't believe in free speech. Its complete freedom of expression or the restrictions we have.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Teenagers have been doing this for years on the internet. Parents tend to have a very poor grasp on internet security.

Teenagers tend to feel more empowered and feel popular if they take their clothes off for the sexual gratification of men or women.

What is needed is greater parental protection and greater parental awareness of what can happen to their children and who their children are broadcasting to.

Communication and what is deemed acceptable behaviour should be often discussed in families. However, some families tend to be unable to communicate about blossoming sexuality and the problems sexuality causes online as well as offline.
  • Options
    KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was Twitter & Facebook ever created? They just seem like the most pointless things ever :confused:

You realise you're saying this on a forum? Twitter and Facebook serve exactly the same purpose, only they're slightly more for people you know or whose opinions you value.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are mutually exclusive. You cannot support freedom of speech by deciding what you think should be disallowed.

I disagree. I believe you can have freedom of speech without inciting people to behave hatefully and without attacking someones colour or religion. Freedom of speech is not a human right it is something people in many countries the world over do not have. We cannot abuse it or we will lose it.

People should be able to voice their disagreement with others with governments with public office etc but they should not be able to voice hateful messages regarding the race or religion of people based on the fact that they personally do not approve.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KookyKatie wrote: »
    You realise you're saying this on a forum? Twitter and Facebook serve exactly the same purpose, only they're slightly more for people you know or whose opinions you value.

This place is a bit of fun when you're bored.

My entire life doesn't take place on here, nor do I have relationships that unfold purely on here and it isn't my only form of communication. Nor do I feel the need to be on here every second of the day... Something you can take or leave.

Some people I doubt can say the same about Facebook or Twitter :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. I believe you can have freedom of speech without inciting people to behave hatefully and without attacking someones colour or religion. Freedom of speech is not a human right it is something people in many countries the world over do not have. We cannot abuse it or we will lose it.

People should be able to voice their disagreement with others with governments with public office etc but they should not be able to voice hateful messages regarding the race or religion of people based on the fact that they personally do not approve.

The US has absolute freedom of speech enshrined in their constitution. That's why people can use racist or homophobic insults. They find our restrictions on speech quite bizarre
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    The US has absolute freedom of speech enshrined in their constitution. That's why people can use racist or homophobic insults. They find our restrictions on speech quite bizarre

I wonder if it would have been enshrined if at the time people were aware of how awful a place the world would become.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it would have been enshrined if at the time people were aware of how awful a place the world would become.

Yeah, remember at the time of American Independence they had just fought for their freedom against what they perceived to be a corrupt government. The constitution was drawn up with the aim of preventing a dictatorship from ever occuring. The whole point of freedom of speech is that the government can't prevent protest or the voicing of opinion it would rather keep quiet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Yeah, remember at the time of American Independence they had just fought for their freedom against what they perceived to be a corrupt government. The constitution was drawn up with the aim of preventing a dictatorship from ever occuring. The whole point of freedom of speech is that the government can't prevent protest or the voicing of opinion it would rather keep quiet

I do see your point but how do we stop the hateful from spreading their hate if we cannot curb it?
  • Options
    DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While some forms of bullying can be challenged, this doesn't apply to all. For example, at school is it bullying to totally ignore someone, lock them out of the group, leave them without anyone to talk to? I know someone this happened to, leaving her dreading having to go to school, almost driving her to suicide. Girls are particularly good at this sort of ostracism and in this day and age when a young person's popularity seems to be all-important, some can be driven to the edge by such behaviour. Realistically though there seems little that can be done to stop this, as you can't order someone to be friends with someone else. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do see your point but how do we stop the hateful from spreading their hate if we cannot curb it?

Its an awkward one... and the US struggles with this problem often. For instance, the hate mongering, bigotted, neanderthal brains of the Westborough baptist church enjoy protesting outside gay soldiers funerals. A law was introduced banning them from doing so but they successfully appealed the decision by claiming that it was unlawful as it infringed on their constitutional right of freedom of expression.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Dimsie wrote: »
    While some forms of bullying can be challenged, this doesn't apply to all. For example, at school is it bullying to totally ignore someone, lock them out of the group, leave them without anyone to talk to? I know someone this happened to, leaving her dreading having to go to school, almost driving her to suicide. Girls are particularly good at this sort of ostracism and in this day and age when a young person's popularity seems to be all-important, some can be driven to the edge by such behaviour. Realistically though there seems little that can be done to stop this, as you can't order someone to be friends with someone else. :confused:

She didn't have to go online or on twitter did she?
    It's different if it's real life and in your face but twitter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's face it the internet is rife for some of the most inadequate dreggs of humankind to get attention by any means necessary.
    It would probably be helpful if we all stuck that^ fact on our pcs as a reminder whenever we log on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Let's face it the internet is rife for some of the most inadequate dreggs of humankind to get attention by any means necessary.
    It would probably be helpful if we all stuck that^ fact on our pcs as a reminder whenever we log on.

I think you could make a fortune if you turned that into a sticker for laptops:)
  • Options
    AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I have decided that it is a generation thing and I have absolutely no interest in these networking sites.
    I find it really sad that ppl are committing suicide because of what some brain dead idiot has posted on line about them.
    Maybe there are bad things on there about me, I have no idea and in the words of Rhett Butler "frankly my dear I don't give a damn" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you could make a fortune if you turned that into a sticker for laptops:)

Good thinking, I should do it before someone steals my idea!
    :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is your interpretation of the boundaries, mine differ as they are wider. Other people have narrower boundaries. Therefore, by definition, if you restrict the freedom of someone with a different view as yourself from expressing it, you are repressing them.

This has been covered in various threads but discussion yesterday centrered around how "incitement" is used as a catch all to repress people with views that most of us don't share.

I maintain that unless you are commissioning an act of violence against another, which can be handled by the respective law, then simply saying silly things should not be a criminal offence.

I'm always reminded of "First they came..." by Martin Niemöller when we discuss freedom of speech. Ultimately, by supporting criminalising people for expressing themselves, we can all find some common ground to begin with but then it comes to something you think you should be allowed to say...

...and suddenly you can't. But by then, it is too late.

Don't give an inch and nobody can take a mile!