Options

Madonna Vs Kylie

Comments

• Options
    Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I think there are two ways to look at this - the music and the person.

As far as music goes, Madonna wins hands down. She has the better voice of the two, has been around longer, and just made better songs, even when she's not really on form. When you look at albums like Erotica and Like a Prayer, every single song on them is good, whereas even Kylie's best albums only ever have four decent songs and the rest is filler.

The person is different, however. Madonna has always been seen as cold, humourless and generally just a bitch to everyone she comes into contact with, but when does anyone ever say a bad word about Kylie?

I think another thing Kylie has which is unique to us in the UK; she's most definitely "ours". She may be Australian, but let's be honest British people don't really see Australians as foreigners, she's lived in London for years, back in the 90s she was regularly hanging around the gay clubs in Soho, she performed at G-A-Y long before it was trendy, her greatest success has been in Britain, and for people of a certain age we saw her grow up onscreen from as a teenager in a show that once got 20m viewers.

Madonna is just some pop star from America, but Kylie belongs to us.

I would disagree about Kylie having only 4 goods songs on an album and the rest filler. In fact in my opinion its the total opposite, Kylie has and still does give excellent album tracks and something that has annoyed me lately is the record company have picked weaker songs as singles when the album have excellent tracks.

Also some said Madoona has sold 7 times more than Kylie, Kylie;s estimated sales are touching on 70 million so i dont believe Madoona has 490 million records.

Like many i like both artists, given a choice i would prefer Kylie on many levels, Kylie knows her market and knows she isnt the most serious singer out there, madoona takes herself far more serious that way but i dont think anyone would label madonna as the best song writer around would they, where i feel Madoona thinks she is.

Now dont get me wrong, Madoona has a fantastic background of material, her catalogue holds many a classic. I think the main difference with both ladies is Madoona started out having the stonger of her overall material where by Kylie started out with fluffy singles and went on in later years to release the best of her career.
  • Options
    TheWildHeartTheWildHeart Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Pippa2012 wrote: »
    I would disagree about Kylie having only 4 goods songs on an album and the rest filler. In fact in my opinion its the total opposite, Kylie has and still does give excellent album tracks and something that has annoyed me lately is the record company have picked weaker songs as singles when the album have excellent tracks.

I agree. A lot of Kylie's album tracks are usually better than the singles that end up being released from the album. Just look at "X" and "Aphrodite".

I'm a big fan of both Kylie and Madonna but I would like to make one point. BOTH need outside forces to make their albums as good as can be. Neither of them possess the natural musical talent to produce, arrange and write an album strictly by themselves. Ray of Light would never have happened if it wasn't for William Orbit, and Fever would never have happened if it wasn't for the producers on that record like Cathy Dennis etc. BOTH are only as good as the people they work with.
  • Options
    Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PSML at a Madonna fan criticising another singers vocals. Madonna is hardly the Aretha of her generation.
  • Options
    Jay_WallaceJay_Wallace Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    PSML at a Madonna fan criticising another singers vocals. Madonna is hardly the Aretha of her generation.

I never said she was,

It's not just about who's vocals soar the best, it's about the passion and the delivery.
    Try listening to Evita as an example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Like madonna but a huge kylie fan when it comes to live vocals madonna will never compair to kylie
  • Options
    MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I uploaded Kylies Jubilee performance onto Youtube.
    It's funny.
    The comments have basically become a bitch fest between Madonna and Kylie fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Menoetius wrote: »
    I uploaded Kylies Jubilee performance onto Youtube.
    It's funny.
    The comments have basically become a bitch fest between Madonna and Kylie fans.

;)

Oh yes, the tranny-esque jubilee performance.
    ...and that dreadful outfit is legendary even by her standards. LOL
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ;)

Oh yes, the tranny-esque jubilee performance.
    ...and that dreadful outfit is legendary even by her standards. LOL

As opposed to Madonna's demure, elegant and down right classy costumes on her MDNA tour a bit of perspective ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    As opposed to Madonna's demure, elegant and down right classy costumes on her MDNA tour a bit of perspective ;)

Unlike Kylie's fans, we're not in denial and don't give praise unless it's deserved. We're able to recognize Madonna's fashion disasters. Too bad for you Madonna would never been seen dead in something so tragic as this....
    http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/121003/2005_186nht0-186nhv5.jpg?x=400&q=80&n=1&sig=JGsGYEtXH1X0_CXi4hyDyw--
  • Options
    Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike Kylie's fans, we're not in denial and don't give praise unless it's deserved/ We're able to recognize Madonna's fashion disasters. Too bad for you Madonna would never been seen dead in something so tragic as this....
    http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/121003/2005_186nht0-186nhv5.jpg?x=400&q=80&n=1&sig=JGsGYEtXH1X0_CXi4hyDyw--

Your right Madonna would hate wearing so much clothes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your right Madonna would hate wearing so much clothes.

Well, she does have the option being in such a HEALTHY condition.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlike Kylie's fans, we're not in denial and don't give praise unless it's deserved. We're able to recognize Madonna's fashion disasters. Too bad for you Madonna would never been seen dead in something so tragic as this....

I never prasied that outfit it was hidedous i was just saying you attack her for that whereas Madonna and her MDNA costumes are equally as bad.

I happen to like that outfit fits in with the context of the show and her persona that wouldn't suit madonna no as she is hard cold and unapproachable the opposite of that costume. this isn't a competition why you feel the need to get so defensive and attack is beyond me Kylie isn't your cup of tea so what like i said in my original post they are both good at what they do and should be appreciated and applauded for their achievements ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I happen to like that fits in with the context of the show and her persona that wouldn't suit madonna no as she is hard cold and unapproachable the opposite of that costume. this isn't a competition why you feel the need to get so defensive and attack is beyond me Kylie isn't your cup of tea so what like i said in my original post they are both good at what they do and should be appreciated and applauded for their achievements ;)

What I say about Kylie is all tongue in cheek.

I did say earlier I do like her music occasionally.
    I thought her "incontinent Princess" album was great...and so was the one from 94.

The years that followed was little too sickly for me...especially "Light Years".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, she does have the option being in such a HEALTHY condition.

Being healthy is not a reason to flap your tities out on a stage at the age of 54. Imagine how embarrassed her children must be and btw this is coming from someone who actually likes Madonna and her music. Although I do prefer Kylie as she's just more likeable and grounded.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. A lot of Kylie's album tracks are usually better than the singles that end up being released from the album. Just look at "X" and "Aphrodite".

I'm a big fan of both Kylie and Madonna but I would like to make one point. BOTH need outside forces to make their albums as good as can be. Neither of them possess the natural musical talent to produce, arrange and write an album strictly by themselves. Ray of Light would never have happened if it wasn't for William Orbit, and Fever would never have happened if it wasn't for the producers on that record like Cathy Dennis etc. BOTH are only as good as the people they work with.

i think it works both ways with madonna. sometimes she manages to get the best out of whatever producer she is working with. just one example, `confessions` is by far the best album stuart price has produced in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Being healthy is not a reason to flap your tities out on a stage at the age of 54. Imagine how embarrassed her children must be and btw this is coming from someone who actually likes Madonna and her music. Although I do prefer Kylie as she's just more likeable and grounded.

She showed parts of her body because it goes in context of that particular song.

It's not just about flashing tits and ass, it's about how society thinks a woman should/shouldn't be behaving after they reach a certain age.
    It needs to change it's views on what's considered appropriate and inappropriate. It's all wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the power of Madonna is that she teams up with whom she wants...and she pushes them to really get into her way of thinking and vice versa they motivate and push her to....that is why her team ups always make the best work...Madonna and Patrick Leonard and Steven Bray on True Blue and Like A Prayer, Madonna and Pettibone and Betts on Erotica, Madonna and Nile Rodgers on Like A Virgin, Madonna and Orbit and Leonard on Ray Of Light...Madonna, Orbit, Mirwais on Music....M and Mirwais on American Life and Madonna, Stuart Price on Confessions On A Dance Floor.

Listen to the sounds she creates, the directions, the state of mind she is in every single album with each team and it paints such a canvas...something very alternative and different to the Popstars like Kylie, Britney Spears, J Lo, etc etc etc Madonna engineers, motivates and creates and pushes her everything into it...that is why i loved re-reading Shep Pettibones diaries of recording Erotica with Madonna in 1991 and 92 and the process they went through...its sublime and inspiring.

My gosh what a mes this thread has turned into...childish spats! Vocal comparisons, and now costumes...WTF and personalities....oh my gosh...people didnt praise Warhol for his lovely personality...people didnt watch Bette Davis because she was an angel....people love Madonna because she is strong willed, iron and tough and she has ironic humour. Thats why Kylies fans like Kylie i guess because they just want the lightness and fun-ness and smiley Kylie you know? and while i do like Kylie as i have said many times (heck i have that recent studio album box set) but she is far from my favourite because i really just love inspired and artistic people that speak to me :)

As for the vocal comparisons....ah please its like people saying "i want Mick Jagger to sound more like gary Barlow or, man i wish Marvin gaye would sound more like Luther Vandross or, Little Richard cant sing like Elvis, or Bowie cant deliver vocally like iggy pop" its rediculous?? everyone has a unique voice and Madonnas vocals are of my favourites...unique, powerful and such versitality...whereas Kylie i know has some operatic tendancies live which can be sweet and she always has this girlish vocal timbre which is good for the style of songs she sings...but all the time...not for me :).

Now for outfits....ah man since when has Madonna been conventional...and since when has Kylie ever not used sex to sell? Madonnas MDNA outfits are sublime...i adore the Vogue/Human Nature/Erotica/Candy Shop/Like A Virgin segment look....i adore the Express Yourself/Turn Up The Radio/Masterpeice segment and i love the intro transgression segment look too and Im Addicted/Like A Prayer/Im A Sinner/Celebration is so warrior like meets glam i adore it :)

The Sticky & Sweet Tour however i think i am more critical of her stylings there in some ways....but that look for the segment Devil/La Isla/Spanish Lesson/Miles Away...ah man :cool: and her look on Like A Prayer/give it 2 me :cool: the finest moments of that tour!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She showed parts of her body because it goes in context of that particular song.

It's not just about flashing tits and ass, it's about how society thinks a woman should/shouldn't be behaving after they reach a certain age.
    It needs to change it's views on what's considered appropriate and inappropriate. It's all wrong.

I'm not saying she can't do it because of her age but just that she shouldn't do it because she has kids. I mean poor Lourdes she seems to dislike all this fame and attention and it was just my opinion that she should have thought about her kids as no one wants to see their mums tits splattered over papers and internet with derogatory comments about her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and now kids ramarks.....i think people forget that they join her on stage and love their mother and understand whatever Madonna does on show and performance wise it is for the fans and audiences to lap up...nothing to be embarassed about it is art and they know who their mother is....why should being a mother limit what Madonna is about?

And we arent Madonnas kids....they understand the pressures of fame and the darkness but regrdless they choose what they want to do....Rocco wants to perform with his mother on stage every so often...and Lola wants to do her fashion line...its eprfectly fine...but why people feel the need to criticise families of musicians and artists i have no idea...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the power of Madonna is that she teams up with whom she wants...and she pushes them to really get into her way of thinking and vice versa they motivate and push her to....that is why her team ups always make the best work...Madonna and Patrick Leonard and Steven Bray on True Blue and Like A Prayer, Madonna and Pettibone and Betts on Erotica, Madonna and Nile Rodgers on Like A Virgin, Madonna and Orbit and Leonard on Ray Of Light...Madonna, Orbit, Mirwais on Music....M and Mirwais on American Life and Madonna, Stuart Price on Confessions On A Dance Floor.

Listen to the sounds she creates, the directions, the state of mind she is in every single album with each team and it paints such a canvas...something very alternative and different to the Popstars like Kylie, Britney Spears, J Lo, etc etc etc Madonna engineers, motivates and creates and pushes her everything into it...that is why i loved re-reading Shep Pettibones diaries of recording Erotica with Madonna in 1991 and 92 and the process they went through...its sublime and inspiring.

People didnt praise Warhol for his lovely personality...people didnt watch Bette Davis because she was an angel....people love Madonna because she is strong willed, iron and tough and she has ironic humour. Thats why Kylies fans like Kylie i guess because they just want the lightness and fun-ness and smiley Kylie you know? and while i do like Kylie as i have said many times (heck i have that recent studio album box set) but she is far from my favourite because i really just love inspired and artistic people that speak to me :)

As for the vocal comparisons....ah please its like people saying "i want Mick Jagger to sound more like gary Barlow or, man i wish Marvin gaye would sound more like Luther Vandross or, Little Richard cant sing like Elvis, or Bowie cant deliver vocally like iggy pop" its rediculous?? everyone has a unique voice and Madonnas vocals are of my favourites...unique, powerful and such versitality...whereas Kylie i know has some operatic tendancies live which can be sweet and she always has this girlish vocal timbre which is good for the style of songs she sings...but all the time...not for me :).

Now for outfits....ah man since when has Madonna been conventional...and since when has Kylie ever not used sex to sell? Madonnas MDNA outfits are sublime...i adore the Vogue/Human Nature/Erotica/Candy Shop/Like A Virgin segment look....i adore the Express Yourself/Turn Up The Radio/Masterpeice segment and i love the intro transgression segment look too and Im Addicted/Like A Prayer/Im A Sinner/Celebration is so warrior like meets glam i adore it :)

The Sticky & Sweet Tour however i think i am more critical of her stylings there in some ways....but that look for the segment Devil/La Isla/Spanish Lesson/Miles Away...ah man :cool: and her look on Like A Prayer/give it 2 me :cool: the finest moments of that tour!

This part of your post is LIFE itself!
    My gosh what a mess this thread has turned into...childish spats! Vocal comparisons, and now costumes...WTF and personalities....oh my gosh...

Nothing wrong with a bit of banter here and there, Josh...but I do agree with you. As much as I enjoy pushing people's buttons, there's really not much point in turning a decent thread into a tit for tat argument. Madonna is better than that. *Ducks from flying dishes*. :D

Anyway, Well done for speaking the truth.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    after watching kylie at the proms who could disagree that she puts madonna to shame. her worst ever song was performed in a beautiful arrangement that sounded like something frank sinatra would be proud of, and she looked beautiful and incredibly sexy wiggling about in a long dress. she sang live too, and not the same old same old over and over again. she just knows how to pull it off, instead of pushing the envelope so far it falls off the table and into the mud

not bad for someone who's music start was appalling
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me this is like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Mercedes Kompressor , both good cars but competing in different markets .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    after watching kylie at the proms who could disagree that she puts madonna to shame. her worst ever song was performed in a beautiful arrangement that sounded like something frank sinatra would be proud of, and she looked beautiful and incredibly sexy wiggling about in a long dress. she sang live too, and not the same old same old over and over again. she just knows how to pull it off, instead of pushing the envelope so far it falls off the table and into the mud

not bad for someone who's music start was appalling
    And at that point of performing at the proms kylie had a throat infection so think of what it would of been like had she been full health :)
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And at that point of performing at the proms kylie had a throat infection so think of what it would of been like had she been full health :)

i didn't think she was singing very well, but she was miles better than madonna who either shouts or mimes her way through a show. you would think a singer would get a decent voice coach
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    If Kylie is supposed to be good then when did her record company dump her in the late 90's?