Options

Top Of The Pops 1977 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have gone for "Hot Love" or "Children Of The Revolution" (that went -14-2-2-2....because of David bloomin' Cassidy!! :mad:

Hi Ian, great to see the TOTP thread busy tonight! Are you gonna re-watch the late edition in just over an hour? Have to say I really like How Can I Be Sure, even by David Cassidy. I actually have the original Dusty Springfield version on my iPod which is terrific. It came out 2 years before, in 1970, and criminally only made No36.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Hi Ian, great to see the TOTP thread busy tonight! Are you gonna re-watch the late edition in just over an hour? Have to say I really like How Can I Be Sure, even by David Cassidy. I actually have the original Dusty Springfield version on my iPod which is terrific. It came out 2 years before, in 1970, and criminally only made No36.

He he, you missed yourself Rich. Some numpty started a daft argument. I let it go and she/he had their posts taken off. It was a shame because I was talking to someone who was watching some editions from the summer and I was trying to give some input. :mad:

Yep, all set for the re-run. I didn't realise that Dusty did the original! :o I only had a problem with David Cassidy because it held "Children Of The Revolution" off No.1. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He he, you missed yourself Rich. Some numpty started a daft argument. I let it go and she/he had their posts taken off. It was a shame because I was talking to someone who was watching some editions from the summer and I was trying to give some input. :mad:

Yep, all set for the re-run. I didn't realise that Dusty did the original! :o I only had a problem with David Cassidy because it held "Children Of The Revolution" off No.1. :(

What did I miss? :confused:

Check out the Dusty version. Probably wasn't very 1970 sounding at the time, hence its modest success.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure I understand your point about clips vanishing from the archives. On your second point, others can probably be more useful. I know he was interviewed by Russell Harty on his show once, but I have no idea if he performed.

I was under the impression from reading elsewhere that at least a year's worth of show's were kept until the Xmas shows of that year, then assessed to see what was worth keeping?

Why they couldn't have made up compilation tapes featuring one performance of each song, god knows, if they didn't want to keep the whole lot?

Wasn't Russell Harty at LWT at that point?

I was too young at that point, but I don't remember any Russell Harty ITV shows, only his later BBC ones!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What did I miss? :confused:

Check out the Dusty version. Probably wasn't very 1970 sounding at the time, hence its modest success.

It was just some chancer (Mrs Mackintosh) giving it large. We disagreed on Marc Bolan and Elvis. You know me Rich. I can't be bothered with petty arguing.

She/he started saying that this was my forum and I disagree with everyone. That's why I wish all the posts were still there for everyone to read.
    Over 18 months and it's my very first Troll! :D.
    All the posts vanished. Someone must have reported it. I couldn't care less. Just a shame I was having a conversation about the show with someone at the time! Hey Ho! :rolleyes:

I'll check out Dusty! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    I was under the impression from reading elsewhere that at least a year's worth of show's were kept until the Xmas shows of that year, then assessed to see what was worth keeping?

Why they couldn't have made up compilation tapes featuring one performance of each song, god knows, if they didn't want to keep the whole lot?

Wasn't Russell Harty at LWT at that point?

I was too young at that point, but I don't remember any Russell Harty ITV shows, only his later BBC ones!

I was too young also, but I have seen a You Tube clip of Russell Harty interviewing Marc on his chat show. I have no idea if it was BBC or ITV, as like you I only recall his pre-Wogan era early evening BBC1 show from the early 80's, as a teen.

I have heard that the reason they used to wipe stuff so often back in the 70's and before, was because the stuff they used to keep shows on was so expensive that they used it again to save money. Obviously regrettable now. I know the feeling myself, from all the blank cassette tapes I re-recorded over endlessly in the 1980's simply because there was no way I could keep affording to buy new tapes frequently. I likely wiped some gems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just some chancer (Mrs Mackintosh) giving it large. We disagreed on Marc Bolan and Elvis. You know me Rich. I can't be bothered with petty arguing.

She/he started saying that this was my forum and I disagree with everyone. That's why I wish all the posts were still there for everyone to read.
    Over 18 months and it's my very first Troll! :D.
    All the posts vanished. Someone must have reported it. I couldn't care less. Just a shame I was having a conversation about the show with someone at the time! Hey Ho! :rolleyes:

I'll check out Dusty! ;)

Mrs Mackintosh, oh I thought she was a reasonable poster. Who could possibly argue with you Highlander! :D I got my first troll on the Caesar thread I warned you about a day or two back! That took 4 months. They vanished too. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mackintosh, oh I thought she was a reasonable poster. Who could possibly argue with you Highlander! :D I got my first troll on the Caesar thread I warned you about a day or two back! That took 4 months. They vanished too. ;)

Yeah, I thought she was ok too. We had a bit of banter about the Leo Sayer vid on Thursday. :D

I just wish her comments tonight were still here for people to read, then they could make up their own minds.

Oh geez, are we gonna get 'Mrs Mackintosh' for 4 months?? :D
    If it has something to offer to the subject..fine..if not I'll blank it!! :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I thought she was ok too. We had a bit of banter about the Leo Sayer vid on Thursday. :D

I just wish her comments tonight were still here for people to read, then they could make up their own minds.

Oh geez, are we gonna get 'Mrs Mackintosh' for 4 months?? :D
    If it has something to offer to the subject..fine..if not I'll blank it!! :rolleyes: :D

Hey, if you want a quick laugh before the show begins, I was listening to Pick Of The Pops in the company of my mother today, Tony B was doing this week in 1981, a fave era of mine, and he played O Superman by Laurie Anderson, and my mother was so disgusted by it she said he should be ashamed of playing it! It was played at No18, and I said that it rose to No2 the next week, and that I have got the 8 minute long version on my iPod, haha! :p That rubbed it in even further. She'd never heard it before, yet she was only 35 at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey, if you want a quick laugh before the show begins, I was listening to Pick Of The Pops in the company of my mother today, Tony B was doing this week in 1981, a fave era of mine, and he played O Superman by Laurie Anderson, and my mother was so disgusted by it she said he should be ashamed of playing it! It was played at No18, and I said that it rose to No2 the next week, and that I have got the 8 minute long version on my iPod, haha! :p That rubbed it in even further. She'd never heard it before, yet she was only 35 at the time.

Doh! I almost always forget about Pick Of The Pops. 1981 would have been great! He he, Laurie Anderson..we were all bemused by that....even at 12 years old!! Lol :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some sheep being herded on One Man & His Dog would be better and livlier than this promo Leo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Legs & Co attempted grope looks worse with every view. Not to mention the girl with the baccara rose was pulled into DLT's clutches against her will, tut tut. She may have a case.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meri Wilson, Telephone Man. Something very Victoria Wood about the song, lyrics and video clip in my opinion.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There had been an album out in the spring of 1977 called Dandy In The Underworld, which wasn't much of a big success, and vanished rapidly, but at the time of his passing he did sing a new track on his new show "Marc" which was airing at the time of his deadly crash, and on this show he sang a song called Celebrate Summer. I'm not sure if this was ever meant to be a single release, and I suppose with the word celebrate in the title it didn't lend itself to a posthumous release single anyway. By the way, this song also has the eerily prophetic lyric "summer is heaven in '77" which is exactly as it ended up proving for Marc Bolan.

I do know that when Freddie Mercury passed away, TOTP played a track on the end of the show, and went all sombre. Queen had only weeks earlier left the charts with The Show Must Go On! Of course they then re-released Bohemian Rhapsody as a double A side with These Are The Days Of Our Lives, which was from that years 1991 Innuendo album, and the two tracks became that years festive No1 for 5 weeks.

Ride A White Swan would infact have made the perfect tribute addition to the TOTP of 22/9/77. But for me, I would have gone for Hot Love.

I think the point you make about his album vanishing quickly says a lot on where Bolan stood in music terms in the summer on 77.

According to my Guiness book of hit singles Bolan had not had a a top ten hit in over 4 years, The Groover reaching number 4 in June 73. There were a couple of further top 20's but nothing that really worried anyone in the top 10. So by the summer of 77 his chart career, and TOTP was a charts based music programme, was not reaching the same success as it had in the early 70's.

I was 11 in 1977, I can tell you exactly where I was when I heard Elvis had died, playing in the space under the stairs with my plastic soldiers, I have no idea where I was when Bolan died. What does that prove, probably nothing.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got home in time for the end of TOTP. And it's that awful Stardust song again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He he, great to watch again. I didn't pick it up on Thursday but DLT makes a comment about how Elvis reaches that low note at the end of "Way Down"..He doesn't, it was a session musician. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Just got home in time for the end of TOTP. And it's that awful Stardust song again!

Doh! Unlucky Robbie!. It's well worth a watch on catch up! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doh! Unlucky Robbie!. It's well worth a watch on catch up! :)
    I'm just doing that right now! The lovely Sue is bopping away to 'Best Of My Love'...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm just doing that right now! The lovely Sue is bopping away to 'Best Of My Love'...

He he, you've still got the amazing Leo 'vid'? to look forward to and Legs & Co doing the "Way Down" hotpant re-run! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the low note at the end of Way Down was a bit of knob twiddling in the studio, not another singer stepping in, very interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He he, you've still got the amazing Leo 'vid'? to look forward to and Legs & Co doing the "Way Down" hotpant re-run! :D
    It's just finished, with the lovely Legs & Co having just danced in those hotpants! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's just finished, with the lovely Legs & Co having just danced in those hotpants! :D

I don't think I'll be able to listen to "Way Down" again without thinking of those hotpants!! :o
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought Legs & Co were doing the "Way Down" Y-fronts re-run! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wasn't really that Way Down was he. Just 6 feet. Not too far.......sorry.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought Legs & Co were doing the "Way Down" Y-fronts re-run! :D

He he, nice one faversham. We only have 1 week left of "Way Down" at No.1. :(