Options

Being able to speak the same language as your parents

kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How do people end up not speaking the same language as their parents?

I'm not talking about people who have been adopted at birth but people who have grown up with their families.

Comments

• Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go on then, I'll bite
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely people should be proud of their heritage and learn the languages of their parents
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Surely people should be proud of their heritage and learn the languages of their parents

My parents languages were English, so I did.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    My parents languages were English, so I did.

Same here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some parents will make an effort to speak the language of the country where they live rather than their native language in the presence of their children because they think that learning two languages is harmful to them. I think it's nonsense, but there you go.
    From my own personal experience, being English and living in the Czech Republic, you can never really tell to what extent your children will pick up your language. My son is fluent in Czech and English, but my daughter, although she understands English, can't speak it. God knows why.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideally, maybe, but it doesn't always work like that. I know several families where one of the parents choses to speak English rather than their native language, and so their kids grow up only knowing a few words.

To me, it's a shame to waste the opportunity of being bilingual, but not everyone feels that way.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    My son is fluent in Czech and English, but my daughter, although she understands English, can't speak it. God knows why.

Becuase not everyone is equally skilled in picking up languages just as there is a range of abilities in every other subject. I guess that makes God and me who have worked this out.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    My husbands grandmother is Italian. She was abused during her 55 year marriage by her husband, her children were forbidden by their father to learn her language. He also only allowed her to learn basic English phrases, just enough to communicate on a basic level. This was also to stop people from outside of the home learning about the abuse.

She's still alive now, he's dead and if there is a hell I hope he rots in it. She speaks broken English and has a very difficult relationship with her 8 children.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My portuguese is lousy (one parent's native language is Portuguese, other is English). Up to about the age 4 I was bilingual, but then some idiot small town doctor berated my parents for not just sticking to English, so since then it was English only. Hence me not having a clue what is said when we visit certain relatives.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And some people have their children learn a language because of the opportunities are better for speakers of it, especially where speakers of their home language face discrimination.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum didn't bother teaching me Chinese. Wish she had but them's the breaks.

Guess I could learn as an adult but I'm a bit lazy and there's no real call for it. Probably why she didn't bother.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »

Guess I could learn as an adult but I'm a bit lazy and there's no real call for it. Probably why she didn't bother.

It's the way forward. I know of a few schools that now teach some form of Chinese.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish my dad had taught me Polish, would come in very useful these days
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    My German speaking parents never really taught me it outside of school.

That way when I was young and naughty they could discuss the situation without me understanding. I did do German to 'O' Level as a token gesture, but I'm not keen on it anyway as a language. It sounds awful and harsh.
  • Options
    CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was brought up in a wolf pack
    so its never been an issue-ooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

That way when I was young and naughty they could discuss the situation without me understanding. I did do German to 'O' Level as a token gesture, but I'm not keen on it anyway as a language. It sounds awful and harsh.

I like the german language. :)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »

German is a sexy language and not much different to English.
  • Options
    CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*sexy*

:confused:
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I speak less of my language than my parents but it's a dying language anyway. Most of the time I didn't know a single word my grandparents were saying.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think nowadays people are more proud of their heritage but going back a number of decades, some families of foreign origins sort to hide a lot of their culture as they believed they needed to become fully anglicised in order to fit in.
  • Options
    statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek: where have you been? There is a HUGE call for bilingual Chinese-English speakers these days.

But as you're lazy (bu your own admission) and clearly a bit dozy you're probably too late to the party! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek::eek::eek: where have you been? There is a HUGE call for bilingual Chinese-English speakers these days.

But as you're lazy (bu your own admission) and clearly a bit dozy you're probably too late to the party! :D

He's been in England ?

:D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

German is sexy, are you serious.

It may be grammatically and linguistically similarly to English, but most Germans sound like they're chewing a wasp when they are talking.
    I like the german language. :)

You'd be in a minority I'd imagine.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I have learnt my parents language (Punjabi and (to a lesser extent) Urdu). Glad my mum taught me her mother tongue. Had no choice really, as as we were growing up we lived with my grandparents who only spoke Punjabi at home.

My parents also taught their grandkids (my nieces/nephews) Urdu, and will only communicate with them in Urdu, even though they can speak English. Which I think is great. I have a friend, who can speak Urdu. Yet their kids only learnt to speak English and very limited Urdu, which I think is a shame.

Nothing wrong in teaching kids more than one language. Kids are extremely bright and can pick things like languages up so easily.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

You sure? I dont find it at all sexy...unless your into BDSM, then I can understand why you would think it was sexy. I have always found French and Italian to be quite sexy.