Options

Panorama: Jimmy Savile - What The BBC Knew, BBC1, 10.35pm 22 Oct

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    It's a hell of a thing that this programme is on the BBC.

Its what makes the BBC what it is. There is a danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater here and making out the whole institution is flawed. It isn't. Clearly mistakes were made but the fact the BBC is itself highlighting the issues says a lot about the institution.
  • Options
    who-mewho-me Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I am growing to respect the NN jurno's who really wanted to get the story out. To be shafted like that after they've worked with the victims must have been very hard. I wonder how their careers will be affected. I hope if criminal charges ensue they and the victims will be allowed to give evidence.
  • Options
    ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    If I had a pound for everytime someone said 'I always thought/knew Jimmy Savile was a dirty old man', I could finally afford that rocket ship I wanted. :D

Everyone "knew", but no-one knew. There wasn't the evidence.

However, the BBC didn't need to have evidence suitable for a conviction in order to just sack him, or quietly not renew his contract. Savile without his slot on the BBC would still have been a dangerous abuser, but it would have cramped his style somewhat, and protected the BBC to an extent. Sacking DJs is hardly difficult: look at the clearout at Radio 1 in the 1990s.
  • Options
    KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit it was passed on as "common knowledge" during my school days but many didn't want to hear of it.

I can't contemplate the thought of how big the peado ring at the Beeb is/was.

Its almost certainly bigger than the BBC. Saville said in his autobiography he could take half the police station with him.

Certainly people in a position of power and authority were involved - police officers, judges, politicians as well apparently.

There is no way he managed to escape being exposed for all those years without dirt on people sitting in those positions, likely in cahoots with the dirty git.
  • Options
    who-mewho-me Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    jon8769 wrote: »
    Its what makes the BBC what it is. There is a danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater here and making out the whole institution is flawed. It isn't. Clearly mistakes were made but the fact the BBC is itself highlighting the issues says a lot about the institution.

corporate damage control? OR distancing themselves from those who knew and did nothing? ( I'm a cynical soul)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »
    Its almost certainly bigger than the BBC. Saville said in his autobiography he could take half the police station with him.

Certainly people in a position of power and authority were involved - police officers, judges, politicians as well apparently.

It makes you wonder if he was part of a pedophile ring.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Director General is going to have a very hard time tomorrow when he meets the committee. They dont take any prisoners. I wouldnt be surprised if he resigns eventually.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidPoker wrote: »

There is no way he managed to escape being exposed for all those years without dirt on people sitting in those positions, likely in cahoots with the dirty git.

I'd agree with all that.
    Savile was obviously a very, very clever man.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that it would have been up to Karen Ward if she wanted to go to the police or not ....
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a far bigger expose than the one on ITV but ITV set this whole chain of events rolling.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Newsnight editor has stepped aside over this:

BBC News
    Sounds like he is stepping aside temporarily only. After what is being told at the moment about Ripon, I think his position is untenable. :mad:
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Or a 'You scratch my back, i'll scratch yours' alliance with prominent figures.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    I think the Director General is going to have a very hard time tomorrow when he meets the committee. They dont take any prisoners. I wouldnt be surprised if he resigns eventually.

Why shoud the current DG resign, based on what happened in dressing rooms in the 1970's? the ones that should be being focused on are those that were part of that mangement structure.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest if phone hacking was enough to shut down the News of the World, so would a paedo ribg be enough to shut down the BBC?
  • Options
    KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its all there online and if you look into it enough names are mentioned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Seeing this makes me question how many other pop stars/presenters in the 70/80's were at it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who-me wrote: »
    corporate damage control? (But I'm a cynical soul)

Definitely there is that, but they are at least bothering and making a very thorough job of it. Which I respect them for. Its very self flagellating!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why shoud the current DG resign, based on what happened in dressing rooms in the 1970's? the ones that should be being focused on are those that were part of that mangement structure.

Its more to do with them shelving the Newsnight investigation. I agree he cant be held responsible for what happened back in the 70s but someone obviously chose to show a programme celebrating JSs life rather that what he was actually like.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is everyone getting the feeling that the sh!t is now hitting the fan, and a huge paedophile ring is about to be exposed????

I would be seriously worried if I were invoved in any programme (BBC or ITV) in the 70s/80s....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Is everyone getting the feeling that the sh!t is now hitting the fan, and a huge paedophile ring is about to be exposed????

Probably, I think this is just the tip of the iceberg.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is certainly going to be more coming out about this.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest if phone hacking was enough to shut down the News of the World, so would a paedo ribg be enough to shut down the BBC?
    A shut down might be a drastic measure. Perhaps a 'cleansing' period and a full investigation.

I think we've only heard a quarter of the story. You get the feeling more will come out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

yep,,,,all the 70/80's stars who were involved in this are probably shitting themselves
  • Options
    JOSWolfJOSWolf Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would feel sick if I had been on one of those tribute shows for the creature now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well they don't do themselves any favours having the tribute for JS with Shane Ritchie in the jim'l fix it chair....after what happened with that young fan and Shane.

and it goes on and on..