Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 41)

Comments

• Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a nice smiley for those of us who posted the first news about the Dancing on Ice celebs rumoured to be coming on board as one or two of us did in this thread last week.

Judge Louis Walsh was on Loose Women at dinner time today and was asked if he was back. He says he has been asked but nothing has been signed.

He was then asked if he knew who was signed up and promptly said he reads the threads on Digital Spy to find out and just mentioned Matt Lapinskas (though only as 'A Moon brother of some sort'). :)

As for New Tricks the episode missed last night is a pretty blatant pilot for a spin off show - as in a two hander with the only two main cast members staying on past some of the next series (Dennis Waterman and Denis Lawson) heading north to launch a Scottish UCOS branch.

For that reason holding it back is either bad (if they wanted to judge reaction to it before deciding the future of New Tricks) or good (if they choose to go ahead anyway and then could run this as an introduction),

Presumably they will be filming the final series with Amanda Redman and Alun Armstrong pretty soon for 2013 airing so might have wanted to know what to do next before a reschedule is possible.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »
    Thanks rzt. X-Factor must be pulling in millions more £ than Strictly would, were it on a commercial channel. X-Factor would need to drop to about 5-6 million viewers before falling below Strictly in the demos.

From memory, even when Dancing WIth The Stars and American Idol were getting similar total viewers, Idol always commanded around double the 30 second ad rates.

The audience profile can make a difference. So a network might sell at a particular rate for every 1,000 16-34's. And the "base rate" for 16-34's is the highest. But what they actually negotiate can be influenced by things like the affluence of the audience or, at least in the US, subsets of the age demos. Tvbythenumbers pointed out one of the reasons for Glee commanding high ad rates is that it skews really young so while it's still being sold on an 18-49 basis, advertisers are paying more because they are strong in the 18-34 subset.

Fortunately for ITV, X Factor scores highly in both ABC1 and 16-34's (higher than many of the dramas which will be sold on ABC1 impacts). It's important to remember that everything on BBC1 skews a few % more ABC1 than it would on ITV. So move Strictly and its ABC1 skew would probably be less impressive.
  • Options
    Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone enlighten me if I'm correct regarding Eastenders and its ratings on Mondays being the highest it gets before it tails off as we near Fridays, hope you understand what I mean.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,909
    Forum Member
    Any news on The Cube, I believe they have a few celebrity specials that have not been aired yet.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a nice smiley for those of us who posted the first news about the Dancing on Ice celebs rumoured to be coming on board as one or two of us did in this thread last week.

Judge Louis Walsh was on Loose Women at dinner time today and was asked if he was back. He says he has been asked but nothing has been signed.

He was then asked if he knew who was signed up and promptly said he reads the threads on Digital Spy to find out and just mentioned Matt Lapinskas (though only as 'A Moon brother of some sort'). :)

As for New Tricks the episode missed last night is a pretty blatant pilot for a spin off show - as in a two hander with the only two main cast members staying on past some of the next series (Dennis Waterman and Denis Lawson) heading north to launch a Scottish UCOS branch.

For that reason holding it back is either bad (if they wanted to judge reaction to it before deciding the future of New Tricks) or good (if they choose to go ahead anyway and then could run this as an introduction),

Presumably they will be filming the final series with Amanda Redman and Alun Armstrong pretty soon for 2013 airing so might have wanted to know what to do next before a reschedule is possible.

The next series starts filming next month. It was held back because of the content in light of the Savile scandal.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    From memory, even when Dancing WIth The Stars and American Idol were getting similar total viewers, Idol always commanded around double the 30 second ad rates.

The audience profile can make a difference. So a network might sell at a particular rate for every 1,000 16-34's. And the "base rate" for 16-34's is the highest. But what they actually negotiate can be influenced by things like the affluence of the audience or, at least in the US, subsets of the age demos. Tvbythenumbers pointed out one of the reasons for Glee commanding high ad rates is that it skews really young so while it's still being sold on an 18-49 basis, advertisers are paying more because they are strong in the 18-34 subset.

Fortunately for ITV, X Factor scores highly in both ABC1 and 16-34's (higher than many of the dramas which will be sold on ABC1 impacts). It's important to remember that everything on BBC1 skews a few % more ABC1 than it would on ITV. So move Strictly and its ABC1 skew would probably be less impressive.

ITV won't sell X-Factor on ABC1s so it doesn't really matter how it skews to that audience.

You would have to buy a 16-34 audience or HW+CHs to get access to the programme as they are much more efficient audiences.
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It skews very old for what is allegedly a "family drama"

My 84 year old Dad watches it. Typical kid who never grew up!!! In many ways it caters for the kids of yesteryear.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    New Itv branding was unveiled today to a select group of media professinoals. A couple of tweeters said they liked it.
    The quotes from people in your original post sound like what one would hear at a university media studies class.
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re-Minder wrote: »
    Can anyone enlighten me if I'm correct regarding Eastenders and its ratings on Mondays being the highest it gets before it tails off as we near Fridays, hope you understand what I mean.

Yes in a way it looks like it happens that way, Monday tends to garner the highest ratings of the week with Fridays being the lowest, but its not always like that.

EE is not performing as it should be, ratings are a reflection of its woes, when June Brown leaves sometime next year ( she's 86 and not in good health so her returning will be to film her leaving scenes imop) it may see a ratings boost but long term it's ratings are declining faster than the rest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The next series starts filming next month. It was held back because of the content in light of the Savile scandal.

Thanks for the update. Do you know if Amanda and Alun are doing all ten episodes or just some as I had heard rumoured?

I realised why it was pulled and so it is not going to return this year I would imagine. But the later the rescheduling of this episode might not matter if the other two cast members leave mid series anyway as they must have a plan to continue wthout them.

Personally, I feel it should end as the casting and chemistry is why this works and the format per se is nothing special. But it must be tempting for the BBC to see if they can carry on with the spin off concept as the ratings will be very tough to recreate with anything else.

Though what has happened to Waterloo Road following what was widely predicted on here from first announcement to be a disasater might give them caution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Newsnight's future must be in some doubt. Its brand looks a bit damaged right now.
    Well, if Newsnight bites the dust, one good thing will have come out of this.

I know Newsnight and Channel 4 News are the sacred cows of TV news, and, as such, must never be criticised, but I wonder if there are too many ego clashes at Newsnight to make it viable going forward. My hope would be for it to be scrapped, and replaced by a hard news programme of the type Newsnight used to be.

You can't walk a bunch of big dogs when they're all pulling in different directions, and some of them are shitting on the doorstep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I think it may air as part of a repeat run that BBC One will air in a summer, possibly in 2013.
    I'd save it for the night of the Selfridge launch. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    US RATINGS

NBC
    The Voice - 4.2 (11.95m)
    Presidential Debate - 3.9 (10.89m)

ABC they showed football in Detriot so bound to be adjusted
    DWTS - 2.4 (13.20m)
    Presidential Debate - 2.8 (10.29m)

FOX
    MLB Basball - 2.3 (7.90m)

CBS
    The Big Bang Theory - 2.1 (7.75m)
    2 Broke Girls - 2.1 (6.93m)
    Presidential Debate - 2.2 (7.50m)

CW
    90210 - 0.4 (900k)
    Gossip Girl - 0.4 (900k)

NBC - 4.0 (11.24m)
    ABC - 2.6 (11.27m)
    FOX - 2.3 (7.9m)
    CBS - 2.2 (7.44m)
    CW - 0.4 (0.9m)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/10/23/tv-ratings-monday-the-voice-90210-down-dancing-with-the-stars-up-last-presidential-debate-numbers/154284/comment-page-2/#comment-1294492
    http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/10/ratings-news-23rd-october-2012.html
    UPDATING...
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Why do NBC often rate the best when all networks simulcast a Presidential debate or event, even though normally it is least watched network? CBS is most watched network but normally simulcasted events on the channel gets beaten by NBC and ABC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth remembering with the talent shows that they're only an hour this week so comparisons are a bit messy. For the hour:

The Voice - This Week - Last Week
    8.00pm - 3.8 - 4.1
    8.30pm - 4.6 - 4.8

DWTS - This Week - Last Week
    8.00pm - 2.2 - 1.8
    8.30pm - 2.6 - 2.1

So The Voice looks to be down around three tenths for the hour which isn't overly significant when you're still on a 4.2 . More surprising is that DWTS is up four tenths which for it is 20%. Both of them did relatively better at 8.30pm perhaps with early arrivals for the debate but that's a much needed boost for DWTS. Whether it lasts or not...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do NBC often rate the best when all networks simulcast a Presidential debate or event, even though normally it is least watched network? CBS is most watched network but normally simulcasted events on the channel gets beaten by NBC and ABC.

CBS did give a pretty dire lead in for last nights, but NBC seems to be the place most people flock for current affairs, I think they have the highest rated nightly news...

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/category/evening-news-ratings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because NBC does well outside primetime. Their national news programme in the evening is #1 and their morning show is #1. ABC is #2 in morning and evening (and now a close rival in morning), CBS always trails well behind. :)
  • Options
    LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes in a way it looks like it happens that way, Monday tends to garner the highest ratings of the week with Fridays being the lowest, but its not always like that.

EE is not performing as it should be, ratings are a reflection of its woes, when June Brown leaves sometime next year ( she's 86 and not in good health so her returning will be to film her leaving scenes imop) it may see a ratings boost but long term it's ratings are declining faster than the rest.
    Sorry but there has been no indication that June Brown is "not in good health" and is only returning to film Dot's exit scenes. In fact for her age she seems to be doing just fine. Just because she is 86 does not mean she is finished. What ageist claptrap, there have been a few older actresses than her in soaps over the years.

EE's ratings are consistently around the 7-7.5m mark so while it could do with being a notch higher it is not losing viewers either. Emmerdale is performing well off the back of a big storyline and last night's episode was actually better than any of the episodes during its birthday week, it's hardly surprising that it was out in front last night, the time for the BBC/EE to worry is if Emmerdale is still outrating EE in 2-3 weeks time which let's face it is fairly unlikely.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    when June Brown leaves sometime next year ( she's 86 and not in good health so her returning will be to film her leaving scenes imop).

Source?? She seems to be surprisingly busy for someone who is supposed to be sick:confused:

Announced today....

Dawn French, Steve Pemberton and June Brown lead all-star cast for Sue Perkins comedy

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-10-23/dawn-french-steve-pemberton-and-june-brown-lead-all-star-cast-for-sue-perkins-comedy
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Because NBC does well outside primetime. Their national news programme in the evening is #1 and their morning show is #1. ABC is #2 in morning and evening (and now a close rival in morning), CBS always trails well behind. :)

Good Morning America (ABC) has been ahead of the Today show(NBC) in total viewers and in the demo for the last few months. Today has had quite a dramatic fall.

The averages for the week of October 8, 2012:

Total Viewers: ABC: 4.908M / NBC: 4.332M / CBS: 2.620M
    A25-54 viewers: ABC: 1.909M / NBC: 1.747M / CBS: 1.059M

“CBS This Morning” is up +8% in Total Viewers and up +6% in younger viewers. “GMA” saw +3% / +2% growth, while “Today” continues to be down year-over-year: -16% / -25%.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/category/morning-show-ratings

The last time NBC won was during the Olympics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Any news on The Cube, I believe they have a few celebrity specials that have not been aired yet.

They were advertising for contestants in the Mail on Sunday last week so looks like they are doing some more.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Good Morning America (ABC) has been ahead of the Today show(NBC) in total viewers and in the demo for the last few months. Today has had quite a dramatic fall.

The averages for the week of October 8, 2012:

Total Viewers: ABC: 4.908M / NBC: 4.332M / CBS: 2.620M
    A25-54 viewers: ABC: 1.909M / NBC: 1.747M / CBS: 1.059M

“CBS This Morning” is up +8% in Total Viewers and up +6% in younger viewers. “GMA” saw +3% / +2% growth, while “Today” continues to be down year-over-year: -16% / -25%.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/category/morning-show-ratings

The last time NBC won was during the Olympics.
    And NBC can't blame Ann Curry for this one!
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    2 specials of Who Wants to be a Millionaire are being filmed in November. An 'I'm A Celebrity' edition and a 'Pantomime' edition.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    So Emmerdale overtakes EastEnders on Monday night. 7.64m v 7.62m - granted by the smallest of margins but a win is a win. And something I wasn't expecting at all. Emmerdale posted another decent 35% share too. Hopefully the Anniversary bump will continue. And with Corrie ahead of EE by quite some margin on Monday nights now - its hard to know why EE doesn't do well in that slot especially without PoG this week. I wonder what Robbie makes of all this?! :D:p

And an excellent start for Arrow on Sky1 in the 8pm hour with 888k. I wonder if it dented EE slightly. US imports seem to do well in earlier slots. Terra Nova had that slot too and despite been axed performed very well in the UK. Sinbad also did decent numbers on Sundays in the 7pm hour too. Arrow has been extended to a 22-episode run as well after performing well in The States.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It's a shame then that they might not have heard of that very useful invention from the 70's - the recording device, now generally known as the humble PVR! Or even that new-fangled interweb iPlayer thing ;)

Because that's what I did - I recorded both programmes and watched them later.

I watched Panorama on BBC One and then used iPlayer's very handy live restart feature which allows you to watch back up to two hours of live content on any BBC channel. Wow, technology! :D
This discussion has been closed.