Options

Oct 23rd 6pm UK time Apple live event discussion

Comments

• Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    Argh very pissed off with apple .......

New iPad 4th gen !?? FFS the 3rd has only been out 6months and people like me have spent a lot to get one. Pointless update too.

iPad mini.... TOO EXPENSIVE

Never really understand this line of reasoning. What did Apple do yesterday that makes the the iPad you bought a few months ago any less useful ?
  • Options
    Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Apple went for the "tell people it's "cool" enough times and they'll buy it" approach.

They spent just as long slagging off the Nexus 7 than promoting their iPad. Rather dirty tactics, a sign of running scared with little confidence in their own product.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rob500 wrote: »
    I see Apple went for the "tell people it's "cool" enough times and they'll buy it" approach.

They spent just as long slagging off the Nexus 7 than promoting their iPad. Rather dirty tactics, a sign of running scared with little confidence in their own product.

I don't suppose Samsung would ever stoop to such tactics (e.g. in adverts) ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »

I don't recall ever mentioning Samsung.
  • Options
    rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why do they keep selling the iPad 2 ?

They even showed the iPad family, mini, ipad2 and new iPad 4th generation

iPad 3 vanished
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't recall ever mentioning Samsung.

I was simply commenting on the fact that when Apple use such tactics they are typically referred to by DS'ers as "dirty". However, if their competition do so, there is no such reaction, indeed often there is support for it.
    I'm afraid it's just the American way, as per the presidential elections etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »
    So why do they keep selling the iPad 2 ?

It's very simple. The retina screen is very expensive to make, they need the iPad 2 for an entry level price. Even though I have a retina iPad it's not that compellingly better than the iPad 1's that we still have in the family. I don't think my wife who's not into technology would notice the difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad family photo

iPad 3 has been sent away for being obsolete
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very simple. The retina screen is very expensive to make, they need the iPad 2 for an entry level price.

That and a cash cow they can rake it in from customers with without ploughing money into R&D for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That and a cash cow they can rake it in from customers with without ploughing money into R&D for it.

Agreed, but Apple didn't invent the term cash cow.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, but Apple didn't invent the term cash cow.
    No, but they've probably tried to patent it. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see what the problem is with the new iPad. I have an iPad 3 and don't care that it has been updated as the updates don't really do anything special that will make me want to buy it. It is our choice to buy these products so complaining that they are obsolete when they clearly aren't they just aren't the latest and greatest doesn't make any sense.

Having said that I would like a spare £1200 to update my Macbook to the retina display one they have now.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

The adverts are different though. They dont directly compare the S3 next to an iphone like apple did yesterday with the tablets. They highlight features, that will be available in the next iphone, are already available in the S3. You could have bought the S3 x months ago. Hence the tag line, "the next big thing is already here".

The ipad mini is a disappointment, its correct name should be ipad2 mini. Its got more in common with ipad2 than the ipad3 or ipad4. Its also way over-priced. A choice between the nexus 7 and ipad mini is not that difficult. As someone already said, the mini will take sales away from the ipad4. It will take more sales away from ipad4 than it will from the Nexus 7. Also surprised it doesnt come with a 'retina' display, at only 163PPI its quite poor (the nexus 7 has 216PPI).

It now becomes clear why they dropped the numbering naming convention. It would annoy a lot of people that they bought an ipad3, when 6 months later the ipad4 was out. Instead they just called it the new ipad, and the one released yesterday was also the new ipad. Thus confusing it customer base. This also allow shops to shift their old 'new ipads' (ipad3), as the new ipad (ipad4). I bet quite a few will be caught out by that. There will be quite a few people walking around with what they think is the latest ipad, when infact its the ipad3, not ipad4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Article in the Metro newspaper - "The iPad mini – how did Apple get the price so wrong?"
    http://blogs.metro.co.uk/tech/the-ipad-mini-apple-get-price-wrong
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Article in the Metro newspaper - "The iPad mini – how did Apple get the price so wrong?"
    http://blogs.metro.co.uk/tech/the-ipad-mini-apple-get-price-wrong

Yes Apple have seemed to price it as a device for the already converted. They'll not mind paying a premium. To me it's old tech rebundled in a pretty shell. To them it's magical, beautiful, revolutionary blaw blaw blaw and worth paying for.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    Yes Apple have seemed to price it as a device for the already converted. They'll not mind paying a premium. To me it's old tech rebundled in a pretty shell. To them it's magical, beautiful, revolutionary blaw blaw blaw and worth paying for.

To some extent they had probably boxed themselves in to a price range. Pitch it too low and fewer people would buy the iPod touch. Pitch it too high and people would just buy the iPad.

I doubt they wanted to drop the iPod touch price significantly. Lets face it it costs them a fortune to have their units built by high-tech modern Chinese factories where their workers are treated well :D

Looking at their yearly books it doesnt seem like there is much profit margin they could cut on any of their products :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think that at the launch of iPad 3 they didn't say they would continue to sell the iPad 2 longer than the iPad 3

Looking back I would never have upgraded from 2-3 if I had known or been told that iPad 4 would be out in 6 months, this is why so many iPad 3 punters are not best pleased
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    To some extent they had probably boxed themselves in to a price range. Pitch it too low and fewer people would buy the iPod touch. Pitch it too high and people would just buy the iPad.

I doubt they wanted to drop the iPod touch price significantly. Lets face it it costs them a fortune to have their units built by high-tech modern Chinese factories where their workers are treated well :D

Looking at their yearly books it doesnt seem like there is much profit margin they could cut on any of their products :p

Price it too low and it would cannibalise the full size iPad. Also, there's no point going for volume with little margin. Google and Amazon have other motives for selling near cost. Apple's business model of making most of their money from hardware just doesn't allow it. They had little choice, it makes clear business sense, they will get some proportion of the mini tablet market but at a good margin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple's business model of making most of their money from hardware
    Does that still apply? How much revenue do they get from selling advertising space in iPod/iPad apps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Does that still apply? How much revenue do they get from selling advertising space in iPod/iPad apps?

Probably billions compared with tens of billions
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    iPad mini went on sale at 8am this morning. Apparently the white ones sold out in within 3 minutes. The same thing happened in the states but it took 5 minutes for the white one to sell out. Theres now a 2 week wait, if you want a white one.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the ipad3 outrage. I have an iPad 3 and I count myself lucky as having an iPad and one with a retina display. The iPad 4 is not enough of an update for me to upgrade or be outraged. I want an iPad mini but will wait for the better display one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I don't understand the ipad3 outrage. I have an iPad 3 and I count myself lucky as having an iPad and one with a retina display. The iPad 4 is not enough of an update for me to upgrade or be outraged. I want an iPad mini but will wait for the better display one.

Same as the iPhone 4/4s it was only a speed bump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the ipad3 outrage.
    Some people think they must always have the latest version, which seems extremely silly to me.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still have my Ipad 1 (yes, I do call it an Ipad 1, even though the number was never "official!).

I see no reason yet to upgrade it, it works fine.

I may upgrade when the 5th generation comes out.

I quite like the look of the Mini Ipad though :)