Options

Most successful covers.

Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watching Gerry Marsden this morning on Breakfast I wondered if "You'll Never Walk Alone" was one of the most successful covers of all time.

As most people know it was first heard in the musical Carousel and was always a show-stopping number. Gerry, as he said on today's programme, watched the film and realised what a great song it is and went on to record it - and the rest is history.

Any other surprise covers which became major hits?

Comments

• Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow, I didn't even realise that was a cover. :o I love that song.

I think Twist & Shout by The Beatles has to be up there with the most successful covers. And on that note also, Chains by The Beatles too, although Twist & Shout is obviously the more well-known of the two.

Maybe Guns'N'Roses' version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door too. And obviously I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston, although I'm not a fan of it personally, I prefer the original.
  • Options
    gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A big one that springs to mind is "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton, she wrote and released it in 1974 from her album "Jolene"but it was Whitney Houston who had the massive hit with it when she released it in 1992 from the film "The Bodyguard".
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I'd say I Will Always Love You too. You'll probabbly find that a lot of people don't even realise it's a cover since the Whitley version is so well known (yet vastly inferior imo :p)

My mind seems blank of any other covers at the moment. The only other one I can think of is Go West by 'Pet Shop Boys'
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bye Bye Baby by the Bay City Rollers was pretty successful as covers go.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without You by Mariah Carey? That was a lot more successful than the original right, and is probably one of her 'most well known' songs.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    Oh wow, I didn't even realise that was a cover. :o I love that song.

I think Twist & Shout by The Beatles has to be up there with the most successful covers. And on that note also, Chains by The Beatles too, although Twist & Shout is obviously the more well-known of the two.

Maybe Guns'N'Roses' version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door too. And obviously I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston, although I'm not a fan of it personally, I prefer the original.

Yeah I didn't know until recently that it was a cover.
  • Options
    BertCleeverhookBertCleeverhook Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen covered by...many artists, I'd consider Jeff Buckley to be the most successful though.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Watching Gerry Marsden this morning on Breakfast I wondered if "You'll Never Walk Alone" was one of the most successful covers of all time.

As most people know it was first heard in the musical Carousel and was always a show-stopping number. Gerry, as he said on today's programme, watched the film and realised what a great song it is and went on to record it - and the rest is history.

Any other surprise covers which became major hits?

Only act to cover a Beatles song successfully is

Joe Cocker - Little Help From My Friends

Fantastic cover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    Without You by Mariah Carey? That was a lot more successful than the original right, and is probably one of her 'most well known' songs.

Only people under a certain age wouldn't know that's a cover though. The superior original was pretty successful.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen covered by...many artists, I'd consider Jeff Buckley to be the most successful though.

I adore his cover.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Only act to cover a Beatles song successfully is

Joe Cocker - Little Help From My Friends

Fantastic cover.

Siouxsie and The Banshees did a pretty good job of Dear Prudence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    Siouxsie and The Banshees did a pretty good job of Dear Prudence.

It was ok but I still stand my post of there only being one cover of a Beatles song better than the original.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it Harry Neilson who originally sang Without You? I have his LP somewhere with it on.
  • Options
    Claire-001Claire-001 Posts: 2,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blame it on the boogie by big fun- classic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Was it Harry Neilson who originally sang Without You? I have his LP somewhere with it on.

Badfinger did it originally.

But my fave cover of that is Harry's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Killing Me Softly by the Fugees is one of the few covers I think stands up against the original. Most don't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Bryan Ferry Jealous Guy (john lennon)

Thought Ferry covered it brilliantly, but don`t know if it was a bigger hit.
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Badfinger did it originally.

But my fave cover of that is Harry's.

My choice too! There is an interesting "demo" of the Harry Nilsson version at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZI6qJBvDE

Anyway...

First Cut is the Deepest by Cat Stevens was covered by numerous artists who had a fair bit of success with it. Cat Stevens sold it to PP Arnold for £30.00 in the 60s and it was a big hit for her. I think Rod Stewart had the most success with it.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I'd say I Will Always Love You too. You'll probabbly find that a lot of people don't even realise it's a cover since the Whitley version is so well known (yet vastly inferior imo :p)

I always thought the Whitney Houston version was the original :o
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »

The original by Badfinger was not very successful at all, and few people know it. Most people believe Harry Nilsson's version to be the original, but it too was a cover. Nilsson's version was just as successful as Carey's version, topping the charts back in the early seventies. It is also the definitive version of song, sung with real emotion, while Carey's version, sung with complete and utter pseudo-emotion, very much pales by comparison (imo of course).
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Killing Me Softly by the Fugees is one of the few covers I think stands up against the original. Most don't.

Not for me it doesn't.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original by Badfinger was not very successful at all, and few people know it. Most people believe Harry Nilsson's version to be the original, but it too was a cover. Nilsson's version was just as successful as Carey's version, topping the charts back in the early seventies. It is also the definitive version of song, sung with real emotion, while Carey's version, sung with complete and utter pseudo-emotion, very much pales by comparison (imo of course).

haha, yeah I knew about Nilsson's, but I wasn't even born when that was out so wasn't too sure about how successful it was in comparison to Carey's. Weirdly, I'm quite a big Mariah fan but I've never really taken to that song much...

Let's not forget the BEST version of that song though... "Ken Lee". :p
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    P Diddy's version of I'll be missing you was huge at the time and so so different than the original.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Wet Wet Wet's Love is all around must be up there. It was number one forever.

originally by The Trogs.
  • Options
    manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adeles cover of Bob Dylan's To Make You Feel My Love must be up there.