Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 42)

Comments

• Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Don't forget Ashley & Pudsey :D

Really? Not on the official website yet but I guess it's been in the press? I can handle them as long as S. Cowell doesn't get in on the act. Could rate really well with such a good line-up. Far better than last year's effort with Barry Manilow, Jason Manford, Nicole Scherzinger and Stomp, among other luminaries!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Really? Not on the official website yet but I guess it's been in the press? I can handle them as long as S. Cowell doesn't get in on the act. Could rate really well with such a good line-up. Far better than last year's effort with Barry Manilow, Jason Manford, Nicole Scherzinger and Stomp, among other luminaries!

They won Britain's Got Talent - the winner of Britain's Got Talent gets a spot in The Royal Variety Performance; it's part of the prize.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    The full list according to ITV is David Walliams, Rod Stewart, music icon Neil Diamond, Britain’s Got Talent winners Ashleigh and Pudsey, Brit Award winners Girls Aloud, pop sensation Kylie Minogue, superstar Robbie Williams, opera legend Andrea Bocelli, multi Grammy Award winner Alicia Keys, comedians Rhod Gilbert and Bill Bailey, an extract from the Seven Olivier Award-winning Matilda The Musical and the eagerly anticipated musical ‘The Bodyguard’, plus a spectacular duet from tenor Plácido Domingo and operatic singer Katherine Jenkins.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget Ashley & Pudsey :D

Well it's a bit of variety and they're bound to make people smile - which is more than can be said for Jason Manford. :p

It's also one hell of an improvement on Jai McDonald, they must have been worried that The Queen would ban them from sending more acts after him. Maybe the deal was that they'd only get the RVP spot if they sent a dog act?
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,863
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    He doesn't have to do all the training, just be the public face of it (like the "mentors" on X Factor supposedly help the acts during the week rather than the faceless army of Syco and Thames TV staff who actually do all the work).

Daley is just the big ticket name to put on the posters. They don't need famous judges. It's not like the DOI and SCD panels (or Pop Idol for that matter) were household names before those shows became hits.

Perhaps. This is definitely the biggest issue in trying to have some kind of progression across the series. How much can they learn week to week? The German version was only a one off, perhaps for this very reason.

The better contestants will certainly be able to start incorporating more complex moves and whatnot - I saw some decent attempts on one of the trailers or the Dutch pilot (can't remember which).

The token comedy act might get old quickly. Watching rotund people bomb into the pool will be funny the first time but won't last long. Then again, if it's Ann Widdecombe there will be nothing funny about seeing her in a swimsuit. :eek:

Less of what? :confused:

In terms of the format working, the lack of action from the diving isn't an insurmountable challenge because no TV show is constant action.

X Factor and Strictly would be little watched flops if they didn't have the judges

Is it any worse than them choosing the best ice dancer or ballroom dancer? ;) It sounds like the US versions might just be judges scoring (public voting is harder to work over there due to timezones). I suppose the UK version could be the same.

I just don't get Celebrity Splash, as part of The Games on Channel 4 it worked fine as there was variety, even the BBC might have got away with it by tying it into Strictly and spinnning it for sport relief but as a full blown light entertainment format on ITV 1 I can't see who'd watch it for ten weeks as there isn't that much you can do to TVise diving, like Strictly and DOI have props, themes, different styles, what can Celebrity splash do?
    Theres guaranteed to be loads of padding, and having Tom Daley to front that, chat to the celebs, talk to the judges, introduce acts etc...is a hell of a risk as he is a complete unknown quantity in a presenting sense, so either he'll have a crutch or they go the route of him being the equivalent of Torvill and Dean on DOI but then which presenters do ITV have to pull it off? I can't see it taking off at all and imagine it'll seem completely amateuristic and stupid but then again what do I know? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The token comedy act might get old quickly. Watching rotund people bomb into the pool will be funny the first time but won't last long. Then again, if it's Ann Widdecombe there will be nothing funny about seeing her in a swimsuit. :eek:

This brings back too many memories of Vanessa Feltz showing errr too much of part of her anatomy in lycra on Hole in the Wall :eek: Considering the Z Listers that will be attached to this, that may not be the last we see of it!
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Have to disagree with that: Tom Daley is TV gold, such a natural on screen.

I'm sure he will get a not insignificant amount of teenage girls tuningin. Whether he is Gold on camera due to his performance or his fake tan though is another matter. That Kelloggs advert would suggest he isn't that much of a natural
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    I just don't get Celebrity Splash, as part of The Games on Channel 4 it worked fine as there was variety, even the BBC might have got away with it by tying it into Strictly and spinnning it for sport relief but as a full blown light entertainment format on ITV 1 I can't see who'd watch it for ten weeks as there isn't that much you can do to TVise diving

I very much doubt it will be anything like 10 weeks, the Dutch original only lasted 4 and i think that was with nearly 20 'stars'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    I just don't get Celebrity Splash, as part of The Games on Channel 4 it worked fine as there was variety, even the BBC might have got away with it by tying it into Strictly and spinnning it for sport relief but as a full blown light entertainment format on ITV 1 I can't see who'd watch it for ten weeks as there isn't that much you can do to TVise diving, like Strictly and DOI have props, themes, different styles, what can Celebrity splash do?

According to the FOX press release they will do synchronised diving and that's just in the 2 hour special they have so I'd imagine you could make a week of that in a series. There also seems to be an emphasis on higher, more complex dives as the weeks go by.

I'm not sure what the UK commission is for but I'd probably start out at something like 4x90' (6 weeks at the very most) and see how it plays in the first run before considering longer series.

I share the concerns about the actual diving aspect. I loved watching it at The Olympics but when I watched a bit of the Dutch pilot I wasn't that taken in (OK, being in a foreign language didn't help).
    Theres guaranteed to be loads of padding, and having Tom Daley to front that, chat to the celebs, talk to the judges, introduce acts etc...is a hell of a risk as he is a complete unknown quantity in a presenting sense, so either he'll have a crutch or they go the route of him being the equivalent of Torvill and Dean on DOI but then which presenters do ITV have to pull it off? I can't see it taking off at all and imagine it'll seem completely amateuristic and stupid but then again what do I know? :rolleyes:

I can't see him actually presenting alone. While Ant & Dec (and perhaps Norton) are the only presenters you could build a show around, there is a supply of autocue monkeys that could perform the task required for this series. Dermot O'Leary needs something to do in the first half of the year. Caroline Flack has proven to be very good on Xtra Factor. I'd like to see those two present a show together sometime. They could go with Paddy McGuiness if they wanted something more light hearted. Vernon Kay and Stephen Mulhern are kind of on the "C List" right now. Davina is back working for ITV these days so she could do it. I could imagine ITV being tempted to give Bradley Walsh a run at primetime.

Again, the reason everyone is buying this format just now isn't particularly because they think it's an awesome idea. I'm sure many people buying the idea have rejected similar ideas in the past. Networks are buying it because it is proven - it has beaten Dancing With The Stars in Holland, a country known for discovering new global format hits. And it has been a successful returning series in Germany for many years. Whatever flaws we might identify on paper, the fact is that this show has delivered ratings in major markets.
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Monday actually. Robbie and dan2008 have been strangely quiet about it though...;)

Locked In the boardroom for crisis talks I suspect. ;)

John York left his post yesterday about time too whether that solves the shows growing problems only time will tell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Locked In the boardroom for crisis talks I suspect. ;)

John York left his post yesterday about time too whether that solves the shows growing problems only time will tell.

He's taking on quite a job as well. Despite a strong reputation, Company Pictures have had Wild At Heart, Shameless, Skins and Beaver Falls axed in recent months leaving George Gently as their only returning series. As one assumes his pay in the new role must be going on for £300k (he was on £250k at the BBC) you'd think he'll be under pressure to start adding to their portfolio of high profile returning series.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »

A bit like broadcasters purchasing The Voice - Britain's Best Bakery has the same basic ingredients but adds a twist to make it slightly different.

I've read far too much TV blurb. :o:o:o
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

Have to admit I laughed at them throwing ITV's favourite phrase "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" back at them, I know it's just an insider but still. It was inevitable really, I imagine a lot of rip offs will start appearing soon.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

''one ITV executive described the new series as “fresh”.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daley is just the big ticket name to put on the posters. They don't need famous judges. It's not like the DOI and SCD panels (or Pop Idol for that matter) were household names before those shows became hits.
    not sure I would agree that the Strictly judges were house hold names, ok fair enough some had done alot of work, the public may have seen, but they were not stars.

The German version was only a one off, perhaps for this very reason.
    that would be more tolerable.
    The token comedy act might get old quickly. Watching rotund people bomb into the pool will be funny the first time but won't last long. Then again, if it's Ann Widdecombe there will be nothing funny about seeing her in a swimsuit. :eek:.
    yes you make a good point here, no way to dive a dive comical, like has been done on Strictly.

X Factor and Strictly would be little watched flops if they didn't have the judges .

Is it any worse than them choosing the best ice dancer or ballroom dancer? ;) It sounds like the US versions might just be judges scoring (public voting is harder to work over there due to timezones). I suppose the UK version could be the same.
    since when have ITV been able to pass up the chance of a public vote?
    when they say striped for 4 weeks, I hope they dont mean in primetime.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC show itself is just a rip-off of X-Factor, "poshed" up a bit with a different type of talent.

They have the nasty judge and the nice judge, Ant and Dec la Fem. Contestants; the idiot one, the gay one, the older one, the OMG! one.

It's generic stuff. The BBC do this a lot, take a tacky show and place a middle-class veneer over it.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    @Charnam
    The 60-part daytime show called Britain’s Best Bakery will feature experts judging the wares of *independent bakeries with a similar contest format.

I'm guessing not :p

Emmers - 6354 + 401
    EE - 6996
    Emmers - 5702 + 401
    Emmers @ 40 - 2875 + 188

Waterloo Road - 3297
    Hunted 3220
    Homefront - 2035 + 138

Scandal - 204k
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad ratings again from Hunted and Homefront last night, whilst Waterloo Road again very low, although the demographics save the latter.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the Dail Mail (spit) BBC2 has won its battle with BBC1 to keep The Great British Bake Off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homefront/Hunted are really underperforming, you'd think one would be gaining a bit of a boost from the others performance. Imagine if they faced tough competition :/
    Thats ITV's second new cookery show after Cowell's attempt at Masterchef; this seems to be their afternoon strategy now.
    Interestingly this is made for Shine, so with Masterchef/bake-off a world success I suspect their worried about Bake Off's success/expansion.

The article seems a bit dodgy, 60 parts for 4 weeks? Thats three episodes a day if its afternoons Monday-Friday...
    I really can't understand that if its true.

Anyways - nothing wrong with competition; keeps shows on their feet.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tape checked soaps:

Emmerdale - 6.8m (32.5%) [+1 131k]
    Emmerdale - 6.37m (27.5%) [+1 278k]

Eastenders - 7.36m (33.2%) [+3 530k]
    Waterloo Road - 3.3m (14.3%)

Poor for all of them really. Emmerdale seeing a fair drop from its run of 7.4m + rated episodes, and Eastenders rating quite low in general.

Hatfield & McCoys (2hrs) - 1.2m (6%) [+1 86k]

OK at that level but Channel 5 don't have much room to drop with Hatfield and McCoys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how much of an effect it will have, but Skyfall may put a dent into the weekend's figures, as well as people maybe using this weekend for Halloween.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey! This is quick!
    ITV1 Daybreak editor to leave show - David Kermode to step down at the end of next month after relaunch fails to revive ratings, with Karl Newton taking over

ITV1's Daybreak editor David Kermode is to leave the struggling breakfast programme less than two months after a relaunch failed to revive its fortunes.

Kermode is understood to have paid the price for Daybreak's poor ratings performance, watched by half the audience of its rival, BBC1's Breakfast. He will leave at the end of next month.

The programme was relaunched last month with a new presenting team of Lorraine Kelly and Aled Jones but attracted just 700,000 viewers on Thursday against BBC1 Breakfast's 1.5 million.

Karl Newton, the executive producer of Daybreak and ITV1's This Morning, takes over at the beginning of December. Staff were told about the changes after Friday's show.

Kermode was brought into the show last year from Channel 5 News, which he edited, taking over from Ian Rumsey.

He edited BBC1's Breakfast between 2004 and 2007 before joining Sky News as 5 News editor.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    What did c4 tourettes doc get? I think over 2m possible cos of intriguing trailer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Town That Caught Tourette's
    Thursday 25 October 2012 | Channel 4 | 21:00 | 2.59 million viewers
This discussion has been closed.