Options

What do you think is the best sauce to have on a steak?

Comments

• Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll run with the idea that good Steak shouldn't need a sauce, but often I'll still have one, not to pour over the top though. In fact often I'll use the sauce on the potato/chips/veg options.

I used to always have Peppercorn, but recently I went to a place where Bearnaise was included as part of the deal and I really liked it, so I have started having that a fair bit.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    None. A good steak should be able to speak for itself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steak Diane, Mmmmm not a clue how to make it though.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought it was just an order to your missus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Absolutely none. It should be a criminal offence to pour sauce on steak. If you have to do that then you don't appreciate the flavour.

Also, has to be medium-rare (thinish cut) or medium (thick cut) - lots of juice - lovely.

Sauce on the chips? Be my guest! I will normally chuck garlic butter over the chips (maybe with a little chilli kick) :)
  • Options
    longzhenglongzheng Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Absolutely none. It should be a criminal offence to pour sauce on steak. If you have to do that then you don't appreciate the flavour.

Also, has to be medium-rare (thinish cut) or medium (thick cut) - lots of juice - lovely.

Sauce on the chips? Be my guest! I will normally chuck garlic butter over the chips (maybe with a little chilli kick) :)
    If it is a criminal offence to pour sauce on steak, what should the minimum sentence be? :p
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    longzheng wrote: »
    If it is a criminal offence to pour sauce on steak, what should the minimum sentence be? :p
    Sentenced to death. And the last meal WON'T be steak :p
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also prefer my fillet steak naked.
  • Options
    longzhenglongzheng Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Sentenced to death. And the last meal WON'T be steak :p
    That sounds a bit extreme.... :o
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at all the steak snobs on here! I love a well done rib eye with garlic and mushroom sauce or a porterhouse with a red wine sauce.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    SHAFT wrote: »
    Lol at all the steak snobs on here! I love a well done rib eye with garlic and mushroom sauce or a porterhouse with a red wine sauce.

Can I ask why you think that just because we prefer not to have sauce on our steak that we are snobs?

No offence but if you've ever had a quality steak cooked how it should be (medium rare) then you wouldn't need a sauce. I would probably need a sauce if I had my steak well done too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Can I ask why you think that just because we prefer not to have sauce on our steak that we are snobs?

No offence but if you've ever had a quality steak cooked how it should be (medium rare) then you wouldn't need a sauce. I would probably need a sauce if I had my steak well done too.

I think you just answered you own question.

A steak should be cooked how the person eating it wants it to be cooked: bloody, rare, meduim , well done, burnt whatever. :rolleyes:. 'How it should be' is nonsense. Its all down to choice. The same goes for having sauce with it.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I think you just answered you own question.

:confused: No I didn't.. I'll ask again, How does not wanting sauce on a steak make us snobs? I'm genuinely interested.
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So are we to assume that you do not like the taste of steak. Why not have a burger, much cheaper
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rab64 wrote: »
    So are we to assume that you do not like the taste of steak. Why not have a burger, much cheaper

Jeebus. I love steak but I like it well done with a sauce. Rare meat makes me heave. What is so wrong with that?

*waits for the usual 'well if you choose to ruin a perfectly good steak' bollocks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Give me a Rib-eye, naked, cooked rare to medium rare and i'm happy!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Rab64 wrote: »
    So if you goto a top restaurant and they have on their specials board a steak with red wine jus or turbot with a cream sauce you'd say you'd rather have a burger or fish n chips from the takeaway?

A sauce can enhance a meal the same as seasoning or spicing can.
    And just because I used them in the example it doesn't mean I have anything against burgers or battered fish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

CRIMINAL!, a rib-eye, au natural, (or maybe pan juices) - a wonderful cut of beef (recommended to my vegetarian wife who had to ask advice from a butcher when buying for me). It's now my cut of choice and wonderful when evenly marbled throughout*.

I've never tried a Porterhouse... maybe next time I see it (can't remember last time that I did, to be honest!)

* Fond memories (strange that they are) of watching a young couple arguing in Morrisons, she wanted an extremely lean steak, he wanted a marbled rib-eye. I know which one would have tasted the best, and I bet she'd have to add oil to her steak to cook it. It sounded like she was winning the argument, too :(

[EDIT]
    bex78 wrote: »
    Give me a Rib-eye, naked, cooked rare to medium rare and i'm happy!

Ah, my kinda woman :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeebus. I love steak but I like it well done with a sauce. Rare meat makes me heave. What is so wrong with that?

*waits for the usual 'well if you choose to ruin a perfectly good steak' bollocks

Totally agree, I like mine (fillet) cremated with a nice sauce or ketchup, a plate dripping with blood and semi raw meat would make me puke.
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,683
    Forum Member
    Another steak nudist here. Preferred cut is rump, cooked very rare. I love what the Americans call 'black and blue', but sadly not possible on my domestic equipment so I have to make do with griddled on a smoking hot cast iron grill pan, with a couple of grinds of black pepper over the meat.

Haven't had a steak in ages, may have to get one this week after reading this thread.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Another steak nudist here. Preferred cut is rump, cooked very rare. I love what the Americans call 'black and blue', but sadly not possible on my domestic equipment so I have to make do with griddled on a smoking hot cast iron grill pan, with a couple of grinds of black pepper over the meat.

Haven't had a steak in ages, may have to get one this week after reading this thread.

Yes, black and blue is how I like mine, as well. As you say, very hard to replicate at home.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,076
    Forum Member
    longzheng wrote: »
    Not even a few spices?

Pepper is a spice. For me that's the only one that should be on my steak.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,076
    Forum Member
    Totally agree, I like mine (fillet) cremated with a nice sauce or ketchup, a plate dripping with blood and semi raw meat would make me puke.

A well rested steak won't drip blood.