Options

Favourite place in London?

Comments

• Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
    Forum Member
    My favourite place in London is Oxford Street because I like the buses going up and down it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    St James' Park.
    To me that's London because I have many happy childhood memories of my beloved late uncle taking me there on a Sunday where I would rollerskate and feed the birds with bread crumbs.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A walk along the South bank from Westminster Bridge all the way to Tower Bridge. The Tate Modern, the Globe theatre, Gabriel Wharf and Hays Galleria are all on the way . You can even pop over the millenium bridge to St Pauls and if its a Thursday-Saturday go look and buy some of the lovely food at Borough Market.

When arriving at Tower Bridge go straight under and into the Shad Thames area and treat yourself to lunch/dinner at one of the river side restaurants there. Of course this is best done in the summer!!
  • Options
    CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the threatening feeling of Camden with its open drug use and high crime rate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A walk along the South bank from Westminster Bridge all the way to Tower Bridge. The Tate Modern, the Globe theatre, Gabriel Wharf and Hays Galleria are all on the way . You can even pop over the millenium bridge to St Pauls and if its a Thursday-Saturday go look and buy some of the lovely food at Borough Market.

When arriving at Tower Bridge go straight under and into the Shad Thames area and treat yourself to lunch/dinner at one of the river side restaurants there. Of course this is best done in the summer!!

That's my favourite bit of London as well - walking along the South Bank in winter is good though especially near Christmas when there are stalls selling mulled wine and sausage sandwiches!
  • Options
    Tictac2Tictac2 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Highgate Cemetery on an Autumn afternoon.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    That's my favourite bit of London as well - walking along the South Bank in winter is good though especially near Christmas when there are stalls selling mulled wine and sausage sandwiches!

Yes the Christmas market by the London eye is not bad at all. On again from the 16th Nov and certainly planning to go!
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

Love it there, and another vote for St James' Park, when I worked at NSY it was lovely to wander over there on a sunny day and just spend your lunch hour relaxing and watching the world go by, lovely little park.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know a single place in London :o

I've never been to Rio, but I'd like to. :)
    Tictac2 wrote: »
    Highgate Cemetery on an Autumn afternoon.

I've not been there since 1965. I loved it and now have it top of my to do list. :)
  • Options
    Rugby manRugby man Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we are talking about other parts of London, not just the centre of it, then, I'd go for underrated parts of London, like Bexley Village, which is a place just on the borders of London and Kent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is making me feel so ashamed that I've never been to London! Been dying to go for so long, but things always crop up. Some of the places sound great though, lots of ideas for when I eventually go
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,881
    Forum Member
    South Bank at night. Wonderful views, cafes, and the National Theatre. It also has a wonderful Christmas market. Go onto one of the bridges for some astonishing views, and if it isn't wet you can always venture onto one of the banks of the Thames to just sit and admire the view.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    The road out. Manchester forever! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member

My first Christmas in London last year and this was a great find, cant wait for the Bratwurst.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QWERTYOP wrote: »

Manchester is lovely too, it's not an either/or situation.
  • Options
    gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourite place in London?

Leicester square, proper busy.
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »

Manchester is a wonderful city, but it doesn't stop London being a wonderful city as well. I have worked in both, and love them both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anybody is visiting Hampton Court in London they should take the time to also visit the Bushy Park water gardens which have recently been restored - they are lovely.

http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/bushy-park/the-upper-lodge-water-gardens
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,047
    Forum Member
    Now I’m further away, I enjoy London much more than I did when we lived nearby.

I love the museums (Natural History, Science, V&A) and galleries (Tate Modern is great).

The Royal Parks are good for a wander, and there is an abundance of stunning architecture, both historical and modern (I find a trip on the Eye on a clear day gives a great view)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    longzheng wrote: »
    Do you not like Microsoft products very much then? :(

Well I used to use them (I used Windows XP for 7 years) but I switched to Mac in 2010 and I never looked back. Windows 7 seems to be ok but I'm not impressed by Windows 8 so far. As for Vista... well I won't talk about that :p
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    Stoke Newington Church Street
    Walthamstow Village
    The South Bank
    Faringdon/Clerkenwell
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My house. I love it. ;)
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CatWolf wrote: »
    I like the threatening feeling of Camden with its open drug use and high crime rate.

Oh shut up!
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The view from the top of Primrose Hill can be fantastic in the morning. If the sun's out, the London Eye glitters.

Marylebone High Street is a great place to wander and see how the other half lives, and a meander around the City on a Sunday is good. You can finish the tour at St Paul's before going over the wobbly bridge to the Tate on one side or the Globe and some great places to eat and drink on the other.

Somerset House is cool too when the Christmas tree is up and the ice rink's full.

Regent's Park has had a lot of love in the thread but it's damn fine in every season, and stunning in spring and summer. Dunno if the black swans are still there, but it's lovely watching the various ducklings and cygnets.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Faringdon/Clerkenwell

I lived on Clerkenwell Road for a few years...........it's a great area for just wandering around, going up the little side streets and alleys.............the little area just north of clerkenwell green with all the Peabody estates is like being transported back to Victorian London...........a lot of the old warehouses around Faringdon are now converted into luxury apartments so it's all becoming gentrified............I lived there when it was all run down and Dickensian

(In fact the setting of Fagins Den in Oliver Twist is just near Faringdon Station on the other side of Faringdon Road)