Options

Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Also without victims knowing that their abuser (who is clearly influential and/or rich enough to silence the media) is being currently investigated by anyone be it media or police how will they know that there is a case being investigated and fellow victim that their evidence might help?

Doesn't this encourage the JS phenomena of each victim being individually not important enough, or stable enough, to have their testimony trusted above the person they are accusing because of their status?
    I know and I haven't got an answer only to say with this being so prominent in the news these last few weeks people who have been abused will hopefully think to come forward and tell their individual stories and someone will link them up
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 48,005
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    RTE Television got into huge trouble in Ireland for accusing a priest of having sexual relations with a teenage girl and fathering a child with her. Turns out they got their facts wrong and the repercussions were huge : various inquiries, senior management being fired, the programme being taken off the air, massive damages to the priest etc.
    Wow, what a blunder!! :eek:
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    It's not a criminal offense to grope, just to grope against the person's will. If she sat on his lap willingly, and he then groped her, I'm not sure where the law would stand on that.

I'm not sure it was at Haut de la Garenne was it, just on Jersey somewhere?

I am missing your point here?

From the Mail article:

‘We were camping, but were taken to Haut de la Garenne one day to mix with other children,’ says Karin.

‘Jimmy Savile was there and everyone was excited. He was covered in kids, they were all clamouring to sit in his lap. He had sweets and cigarettes and everyone was going: “Ooh look, it’s a famous person.” ’
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    brandon99 wrote: »
    I find it curious that Michael Crick of Channel 4 news, was able to identify and approach the person who is at centre of BBC Newsnight's exclusive report, which presumably they were keeping well under wraps...

Crick worked on Newsnight until quite recently, he probably just used his contacts to get the name.
    I hope they all keep their mouths shut until tonight so that the report can be broadcast, whether or not they're planning to name the person.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »

Say JS wasn't famous and it happened, I bet he would have got arrested years ago.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Say JS wasn't famous and it happened, I bet he would have got arrested years ago.

Possibly, but many paedophiles manage to get away with things for a long time he used his fame to hide what he was , others use other things . We have to remember until relatively recently it was still something that familes did not report, they felt it brought shame on them, its only since the creation of the likes of Childline and better trained personnel that people have been more inlcined to come forward , and still some victims do not want to as they dont want to go through it mentally again and that ahs to be respected as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    Wait for the superinjunction

If a superinjunction is granted, does that mean Newsnight won't be able to show the report even if the person is not identified?
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    pina74 wrote: »
    If a superinjunction is granted, does that mean Newsnight won't be able to show the report even if the person is not identified?

Think it would depend on what the injunction covered. If against the programme itself, then it couldn't be shown.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Mail article:
    ‘We were camping, but were taken to Haut de la Garenne one day to mix with other children,’ says Karin.

‘Jimmy Savile was there and everyone was excited. He was covered in kids, they were all clamouring to sit in his lap. He had sweets and cigarettes and everyone was going: “Ooh look, it’s a famous person.” ’
    Can she really be sure it was Haut de la Garenne though? You'd think it would hard to remember a French place name like that 40 years on. Savile also visited the Sacre Coeur Orphange.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwina Curry will be quizzed by Brendan O'Connor about the Saville allegations on The Saturday Night Show on RTE1 tomorrow evening.

Viewers in the UK will be able to watch live through the RTE website.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if there is a super injunction News night wont be able to do their report, I think super injunction means it cannot be discussed at all in case a clue is given. Basically a black out, I think thats how it works. But don't hold me to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if there is a super injunction News night wont be able to do their report, I think super injunction means it cannot be discussed at all in case a clue is given. Basically a black out, I think thats how it works. But don't hold me to that.

A superinjunction means that a case or even the injunction about that case cannot be discussed at all, if one has been sought and is in place then Newsnight would not even be able to say " we are airing a different story to the one we had intended " as there should be no mention of such a story existing.
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you done the right link?

This isn't mentioned in the article

Quote:

This is

It emerged Savile was a regular visitor to Haute de la Garenne, the notorious abuse-ridden Jersey children’s home.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    A superinjunction means that a case or even the injunction about that case cannot be discussed at all, if one has been sought and is in place then Newsnight would not even be able to say " we are airing a different story to the one we had intended " as there should be no mention of such a story existing.

So basically a blackout. mind you there could be one in process whose to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically a blackout. mind you there could be one in process whose to say.

Basically yes
  • Options
    Logan_FiveLogan_Five Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worry is for me that the likes of Saville, Glitter, etc will be held accountable in this investigation (as they should be if they are guilty), but if you happen to be an abuser with a high enough profile position and plenty money, you can become 'untouchable', which is what Saville was when he was alive.

Shame on those who are protecting such people!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of interesting tweets coming up if you put newsnight into twitter.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or just injunction?

Twitter is ablaze. One name is trending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »

That's what I thought. If there's no mention of the report tonight, I guess it's safe to assume that a superinjunction is in place.
    Anyone know who's presenting tonight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I thought. If there's no mention of the report tonight, I guess it's safe to assume that a superinjunction is in place.

Gavin Esler
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Peter Rippon still on leave from Newsnight over the scandal or is he in charge for tonights show, out of interest?.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gavin Esler, according to TV Guide UK.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    Gavin Esler, according to TV Guide UK.

Bet he is glad not to be in the USA at this awful time for them and an election as well.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »

Possibly, but not necessarily. I've never reported the person who assaulted me, and I was an adult at the time. He wasn't famous, although he was in a position of responsibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info skp and saralund.
This discussion has been closed.